RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I failed out of college.
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
I failed out of college.

Hello, this is my first post here. I will attempt to explain my situation the best I can, however I'm pretty tired at the moment...stressed out...exhausted etc. I noticed most of the posts on this forum are epicly retarded, so I will attempt to not follow suit.

I live in Texas and I'm 17 years old. I am attending this special program called the Texas Academy of Math and Science. Basically you apply here as a sophomore in high school and you attend the school your junior and senior year.

You live in a dormitory on the UNT campus and you take classes that are supposed to be focused on math and science while completing your high school diploma at the same time. These classes are real UNT courses which means you get real college credits. It's weird...I'm both a high school and college student.

Anyway, so I sort of decided that this school wasn't for me particularly. I already had a discussion about this in the IRC chat, so I'll try to sum up some things that were said there.

I originally applied to this school because I hated high school for everything it was. It held me back, I was surrounded by retards, etc. I thought this school would be an enlightening place where I could really do something with myself...find my identity...all that cliche bullshit. This turned out to be false since I was again taking classes that were wasting my time (I'm basically only interested in math, physics and philosophy (for fun...on my own time)). I mean shit...they force you to take biology and chemistry at the same time for two semesters. Top that off with some english class and a U.S. history class. How many times am I going to have to learn this garbage?

I'm not sure what to say exactly right now. It's my last week of the year here, and I already know I'm not going to do well enough on my final exams to stay (we have to have a 3.0 GPA at the end of the semester which I know I'm not going to have). Calculus is the only class I'm doing well in; it's also the only class I really gave a damn about.

Some people asked what I "want to do". I'm not completely sure how to answer this question. I don't want to return to school to complete a whole degree. I don't think I could survive it.

So basically I want to study things like mathematics etc. on my own time, and not have to work a job that sucks. By "sucks" I mean, doing something that is unenlightening, a waste of my time, only serves to benefit my corporate overlords or all of the above.

I came to my revelation perhaps Friday or Saturday of last week; I simply realized something I thought all year long: I don't belong here. Yet again I'm sort of faced with the same problem of being held back, being surrounded by arrogant, privileged kids who think they know everything.

My main problem is pretty clear:

1. I need to eat food. Food costs money. To get money I need a job. The only way to have a job that doesn't involve bending over for corporate dick is to go through college. I don't want to go to college.

I need to figure out how to have money, perhaps by doing something that I'm interested in. I refuse to flip burgers just so I don't have to go to college. There must be another way. I have only been thinking about this today, so the only thing I could come up with is tutoring; specifically tutoring in math. People have told me I could be a good teacher, and no this wasn't an empty chin-up comment or me self-aggrandizing.

2. My dad is an EPIC conservative dipshit. When I break the news to him or when he finds out I failed out of college. He's going to want to know what I'm going to do to get money, get a job, get back into college etc. Keep in mind he's extremely narrow-minded, so I see no way to resolve this problem. I have to appease him somehow, while still going the path I want to go in. Jesus Christ...what a task.

So this is a start. I know you all will have some questions for me.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
05-06-2008 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Re: I failed out of college.

I would argue that a job isn't nessecarily sucking corporate dick: you need to get somewhere you need to get to and you take advantage of the institutions. The institutions may think they are the ones benefitting but if you can make enough money to finance your own company or way for you to do something you enjoy (be it piano, math, whatever), you can pull it off. That said, i'm not going to go into ethics and economics and so forth but I will say that you aren't nessecarily a wage slave if you like to eat: you're a wage slave if you like to eat and you do nothing more intellectual besides working your job.

You could always become an entrepeneur. Online businesses, mail order businesses, businesses where you just order product and sell it are all good choices. They are harder, but perhaps you wont feel the corporate cock is nutting in your mouth, so to speak, at least not nutting in it in the typical way.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
05-06-2008 03:03 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Stratovarius Wrote:I noticed most of the posts on this forum are epicly retarded, so I will attempt to not follow suit.
Haha, that's good news.

Ok, so I've dropped (or failed) out of college several times. My initial experience of college was good; it was way better than high school (which I also dropped out of.) I basically felt the same as you about high school. And college eventually was missing a lot too. Especially in the mandatory classes. I did best in college when I picked all my own classes, rather than trying to conform to particular degree program. It's possible you could stand college if you got into an individualized program of some kind, where you weren't expected to take much that you weren't into. Another option is study on your own and take CLEP exams for credit in subjects like biology rather than sitting through a year of it.

Anyway, I've been in a similar position of being at the end of a college semester, not doing well (due to not showing up to class, etc.) but being faced with the feeling that I could work something out with my professors and get caught up with the work and pass the classes anyway -- but also feeling like college just wasn't working for me and wanting to just get out.

In the end I guess it does come down to what you want to do for a job. You can find unskilled or semi-skilled jobs that don't involve working for a corporation, like for a small business or individuals. Actually tutoring, as you suggest, may be perfect for you, with your interest and ability in math. It can pay very well. And for a credential, if you just take the SAT or ACT and get a high score, that can be your credential. You can tutor for those college entrance exams, or for high school or college classes. I'd say definitely pursue that. You could even do it while at least getting some college credits through classes or exams, if you wanted to (or if it would appease your dad for now.)

Tutoring is one example of a job that often doesn't require working for a corporation... but there are others, both skilled and unskilled. You can work for individuals, small businesses, as a contractor, etc. And at the same time, even with a college degree many of your options would be to work for corporations.

Anyway... yeah. Try tutoring. Often schools/colleges hire people or can hook you up with clients, or put an ad on craigslist or on bulletin boards at schools.

When I first dropped out of college, I told my parents I was going to withdraw from school and take some CLEP exams. They weren't happy but at least I basically made up for the classes I dropped with those exams. I then found a job at a software company, which involved a good deal of luck, but it worked out really well. I've also done tutoring in computer science (for very low pay employed by colleges) but it can pay well especially if done privately.

Hope that helps. Good luck dealing with your dad.
05-06-2008 03:08 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Hey guys this tutoring idea is really getting me excited. I think this is one of the best and safest options I have right now. If anything, it could be a nice platform to start me off for more formal positions later on.

So, I remembered that I live right now to an extremely wealthy and large neighborhood. There are a lot of retirees there, but I'm sure someone, somewhere would take me. If all else fails, I'd be willing to go to my mom's house in Austin (a large city with about 1 million people) and I KNOW there will be someone there who needs a math or SAT tutor. Biggrin

I don't want to go to my mom's house particularly since she runs a homecare business. Basically she takes care of old people who can't take care of themselves...fucking terrible. I can tolerate it though...for freedom from school.

So anyone know good ways to find people who need a tutor?

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
05-06-2008 03:52 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Well, first of all, you may find this page entertaining (if not useful): http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/0 ... get-a-job/

As for where to find people who need tutoring... you'd probably have to put ads in the paper advertising yourself as a tutor or something, or look for other people asking for that. There are sites that list things like that as well, dunno about Texas though.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-06-2008 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Another way to make money if tutoring doesn't work out (though it seems it will) is stocks. http://simulator.investopedia.com/home.aspx
Investopedia's Simulator - Stock Market Game

That's a stock simulator game thingy. Pretend money to try out stocks with.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
05-06-2008 07:54 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I said this on the IRC as well, but if you make a tutoring website where you (and other people) can help each other out, you'll be indirectly advertising your services as well as making money from other ads on your site. Might be a nice side income stream.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-06-2008 08:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

So like, just an update...

I've decided it might be a good idea to attend a community college perhaps next spring. I get out school (woot) this Friday, so I have a good long time to take a break, get my shit together, figure things out etc. I don't start driving until December (which is when I turn 18)...so I can't really attend community college until then.

Anyway, my plan was to only enroll in mathematics courses and perhaps physics for engineering majors (the difference from the other physics course is that the one for engineering majors is calculus based instead of algebra based). I didn't want to get into a degree plan because you generally take all these bullshit "general knowledge" courses that I don't care about...it's only distracting me from my math.

As for math courses, the community college in my area offers everything up to differential equations, vector calculus (also known as calculus IV) and linear algebra. This year, I could easily learn enough to place into calculus III and maybe differential equations. I looked at their math page and their course prerequisites seemed screwed up. Basically this is how it's supposed to work:

-Differential Equations
>>Requirements: Calculus II and Linear Algebra

-Linear Algebra
>>Requirements: Calculus II

-Calculus II
>>Requirements: Calculus I

-------------------

-Vector Calculus
>> Requirements: Calculus III and Linear Algebra

etc. etc.

However, on their math page, it says differential equations requires calculus III which is a bunch of bullshit...I'm not sure what they're smoking up there.

Anyway, I mention this, because I was planning on taking these classes so I'll have a nice transcript that says I made an A in calculus III, differential equations and calculus IV. I wanted to continue my progression in math elsewhere though, but I don't know how to go about doing that. xcriteria showed me SFAU where they offer classes to students who are "non-matriculated" in that, they have no academic standing. I was wondering if some place like UT Austin offers this, since I could live with my mom and commute to school.

Also, I figured having these "credentials" would be impressive enough to allow some organization/university to allow me to tutor individually or help out in a resource center or something...for money of course.

So ya...I guess my "medium-run" plan is to do these math courses and maybe study some physics later on if I decide to, then get a tutoring position somewhere and I'll see how much money I'll be getting from that...If anything, I could get a friend to help me out and live with them for a while so I can build up some cash.

05-07-2008 02:32 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Stratovarius Wrote:However, on their math page, it says differential equations requires calculus III which is a bunch of bullshit...I'm not sure what they're smoking up there.
What they are smoking is the generalized mindset of one-class-leads-to-another... many times prerequisites aren't really based on any reasonable necessity. :(

Quote:I was wondering if some place like UT Austin offers this, since I could live with my mom and commute to school.
I don't see anything like that on their site... kinda weird. They must offer something like that. Or almost any other school would -- maybe they're too prestigious or something.
Quote:Also, I figured having these "credentials" would be impressive enough to allow some organization/university to allow me to tutor individually or help out in a resource center or something...for money of course.
Especially at community colleges, you could probably tutor without any real credentials, especially if they are short on tutors.
05-07-2008 03:12 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

*Another Update*

Well, it turns out I got confirmation on a student...My first eager mind! This just proves that people don't care about a degree or even the fact that you're not even 18 years old yet...

I'll essentially be assisting with precalculus. We'll probably start around the first week of June after I have time to thoroughly go back over some of the material in precalculus. Also, my student expressed some interest in learning calculus. If I continue learning calculus, by the time we finish precalculus, I may be able to give an introduction to calculus...it will be a challenge though, and I'll probably do it at a discount since I'm not confident as to how qualified I'd be. I can do calculus pretty well...it's just I lack a unifying understanding of the "big picture". I'll probably pick some book like Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach by Morris Kline to help me.

Anyway, so my pupil lives about 27 miles away from me (30 min drive according to mapquest) and the parents are willing to drive.

I need some time to figure out what I will be charging. I think I will make the first several sessions free so I can get a feel for this. I was reading a nice site that said you should offer to include things like progress reports and periodic tests with no extra cost which will build up a nice professional image and get you some good testimonials that will come in handy later on.

Also, I will get one of my friends to pretend they are a student for a little while so I can see what to do exactly...I'll also head over to the local bookstore to get something about teaching/tutoring.

Ah! I'm so excited!!! I hope I found my life's calling...hehe.

05-07-2008 03:25 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Sweet... glad to hear things seem to be working out Biggrin

It sounds like you'll probably make a good tutor, since you're doing so much research and preparation.

PS: I like Stratovarius too (the band). Thumbsup

Hidden stuff:
05-07-2008 09:19 PM