RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The PC/Tech Thread
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: The PC/Tech Thread

My PC:

Hanns-G 22" Widescreen Monitor
2.13 Core Duo
Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo
3GB Patriot DDR2 800 (I actually have 4 GB, but my motherboard fucks itself with 4)
EVGA GeForce 8800GT
750GB Hard Drive
750Watt Power Supply
Some shitty old Case, I don't even know what it's called, but I really want that Antec 900
03-07-2009 03:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

:|

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
03-07-2009 03:27 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

Compaq Presario C700t
15.4" WideScreen
1.46 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) Dual Core Processor
1GB DDR2 System Memory (2x 512MB)
Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
802.11b/g WLAN
Fujitsu MHY2120BH 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
6-cell, 44 watt-hour Lithium Ion Battery
Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
6.4 lbs

Copied from a computer review website, that's why its so long.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
03-07-2009 03:51 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Nice PC, MM. You using Windoze XP? That may explain the RAM issue. If not, ignoar my previous sentence.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-07-2009 04:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
Fanatic

Nah, I'm using 32-bit Vista Home Premium. 32-bit version of Vista don't allow more than 2 gigs of ram, but there are ways to work around that. I got it to recognize 3 gigs and it runs stable, but it craps out with 4.
03-07-2009 04:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Ah yeh. I have XP and 4 gigs of RAM, but I can only use 3.25 gigs. Windoze 7 beta is actually looking pretty good, if you can download it you should try it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
03-07-2009 08:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Built my own computer

AMD athlon 64 X2 5200
2gbs PC6400 RAM
XFX 8800GT 512mb
ASUS M2N32 Sli deluxe mainboard
Acer AL2216W (22inch widescreen)
750watt cooler master power supply
Seagate 500gb hard drive

Oh and has anyone heard of that NVIDIA 3D vision stuff. Looks pretty cool.
03-08-2009 02:43 PM
Double Offline
Revolutionary

SoulRiser Wrote:Ah yeh. I have XP and 4 gigs of RAM, but I can only use 3.25 gigs. Windoze 7 beta is actually looking pretty good, if you can download it you should try it.

I had that problem with my 32x Vista, it would only run like 3.4gb of RAM even though I had 4.0. I bought the 64x Home Basic and can now use all of my RAM (don't ask me how, I just read that a 64x OS lets you use more RAM and my friend confirmed it)..

Anyway, if you're thinking about upgrading to Vista, don't buy anything but the Basic package. Everything "better" is only fancy applications and eyecandy that you'll never use and have trouble with uninstalling. Even with the basic package there's so much junk I never use.
03-12-2009 09:17 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Upgrade and Vista in the same sentence? Hellz no! I'm waiting for Windoze 7. I have the beta, actually. It kicks the crap out of any Vista flavour. Smile

Hidden stuff:
03-13-2009 02:26 AM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I'm havin a problem with something.

I have an old computer that was infected with a billion viruses and it died. Then, I fixed it by deleting Windows, and formatting all the hardrives like three times each, and reinstalling windows. So, now it works really well and I'm installing a ton of old games on it that I enjoy. But, it's got a problem now where it needs a file D3D8.Dll.

Ok.

So, I went online and downloaded the file to the computer I'm currently using, and then went to burn it onto a CD to be placed on the old computer. So, I did all of that, and put the disk into the old computer, clicked on it, and found that the D3D8.Dll file doesn't show up. It's on the disk, because, when I check it on this computer, it shows that it's there, but for some reason (because it's a system operating file, I think), it won't show up on the other computer.

So, I can't move it to my old computer, and I can't hook the old computer up to the internet to download the file. So, I guess my question is, how do I get my old computer (a Windows 98), to show the D3D8.Dll file on the CD contents window, so that I can move it to the folder that it needs to be in?

Ask me if any of that needs clarifying.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
03-15-2009 11:37 AM
True Strasserist Offline
Banned

Given 31 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Aviator Wrote:I'm havin a problem with something.

I have an old computer that was infected with a billion viruses and it died. Then, I fixed it by deleting Windows, and formatting all the hardrives like three times each, and reinstalling windows. So, now it works really well and I'm installing a ton of old games on it that I enjoy. But, it's got a problem now where it needs a file D3D8.Dll.

Ok.

So, I went online and downloaded the file to the computer I'm currently using, and then went to burn it onto a CD to be placed on the old computer. So, I did all of that, and put the disk into the old computer, clicked on it, and found that the D3D8.Dll file doesn't show up. It's on the disk, because, when I check it on this computer, it shows that it's there, but for some reason (because it's a system operating file, I think), it won't show up on the other computer.

So, I can't move it to my old computer, and I can't hook the old computer up to the internet to download the file. So, I guess my question is, how do I get my old computer (a Windows 98), to show the D3D8.Dll file on the CD contents window, so that I can move it to the folder that it needs to be in?

windows update. direct x 9 or dx10

[Image: AQUoEoe.jpg] [Image: L4WpLmZ.png]

School and the Allegory of the Cave Shooter | Username has no girlfriend! | Moon man, Moon man, can't you see?
03-15-2009 11:41 AM
MM Offline
Fanatic

While I could be completely wrong, try this:

When you are in windows explorer (to get there try right-clicking the start button in the task bar, and clicking on explore), click on view in the top menu, then go down to folder options. Under the View tab in the window that comes up, there should be an area with a bunch of check boxes. There should also be a folder in that area entitled "hidden files", with a three check boxes under that, each entitled "Do not show hidden files", "Do not show hidden files or system files" and then "Show all files". Tick the "Show all files" box, click apply and then click OK.

See if that helps. Or that didn't make any sense.
03-15-2009 11:44 AM
TG Link Offline
Rebel

My PC:
HP Pavilion Elite m9250f
Samsung Syncmaster 932BW (19" I believe)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700(2.66GHz) 64 bit Quad-Core Processor, 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
Memory: 4GB DDR2 System Memory (4x 1 GB)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT graphics card with 512MB dedicated video memory, TV-out, DVI, and HDMI capabilities with support for Microsoft DirectX 10. Up to 1791MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista
Hard Drive: 1000GB (2 x 500GB) SATA 7200RPM
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Mouse: Logitech G9
Physical Specs: Dimensions 16.61" x 15.51" x 7.00"
Weight 24.25 lb
Optical Drive: Optical Drive Type: DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Spec SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM

Sorry it is so long, copied it from Newegg. I bought the Keyboard and mouse separately, FYI

[Image: Linksig.jpg]
Visit Tactical Gaming, a worldwide gaming clan.
03-16-2009 12:45 AM
True Strasserist Offline
Banned

Specifications
Form Factor: µATX

Processor Speed: E2200 / 2.20GHz

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO

Form Factor: ATX Mid-Tower

Compatible Motherboards: ATX
Micro ATX

Memory Type: Dual Channel DDR2

Processor Interface: Socket 775

Processor Interface: Socket 775

Processors Supported: Intel Pentium 4
Intel Celeron
Intel Core Duo
Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad

Processor Class: Pentium Dual Core

Memory Size: 2 x 1024MB

Processor Core: Allendale

Additional Technologies: Vista Ready, HD DVD/Blu-ray Support, HDCP Compliant

Side Panel Type: Vented

Front Side Bus: 1333MHz

Cache Size: 1MB

Bus Speed: 800MHz

Memory Speed: 800MHz PC6400

Power Supply: 450 Watt

Material: Steel

Additional Features: HDCP Enabled
SLI Ready
DirectX 10
OpenGL 2.1
PCI Express 2.0
Game Physics Capable
Shader Model 4.0, Nvidia CUDA Technology

Additional Technologies: Intel® EM64T
Enhanced Intel Speedstep
Dual-Core
Enhanced Halt State
Execute Disable Bit
Intel® Thermal Monitor 2

Architecture: 65 nm

Wattage: 65W

Core Stepping: M0

Memory CAS Latency: 4-4-4-12

Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600

Pins: 240

Fan: Not Included

Video Memory: 768MB

Northbridge: NVIDIA nForce 630i

External 5.25" Drive Bays: 4

Memory Type: DDR2

External 3.5" Drive Bays: 1

Internal 3.5" Drive Bays: 5

Memory Clock: 1000 MHz

Expansion Slots: 7

Interface Type: PCI Express 2.0

Number of Slots: 2

Number of Pins: 240-Pin

Front USB Ports: 2

Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB

Connector(s): S-Video
HDTV
Dual DVI (Dual Link)

Memory Supported: 533MHz DDR2
667MHz DDR2
800MHz DDR2

Front Audio Ports: 2

Max. Memory Supported Per Slot: 2GB

Channels: 8 Channels

Power Requirement: 400-Watt power supply

120mm Fan Ports: 2

120mm Fans Included: None

Video Chipset: GeForce 7150

Rending Ability: Microsoft® DX 9
OpenGL 1.5

LAN Type: 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit

RAID Modes: 0
0+1

PCI Slots: 2

PCI Express X1 Slots: 1

PCI Express X16 Slots: 1 - PCIe x16

PS/2 Keyboard Connectors: 1

PS/2 Mouse Connectors: 1

Serial Communication Ports: 1

USB Ports: 10

USB Rear Panel Ports: 4

USB Onboard Headers: 3 - (expandable to 6 USB ports)

LAN Ports: 1

IDE Headers: 1

FDD Headers: 1

Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s Headers: 4

VGA Ports: 1
tl,dr it works fine

School and the Allegory of the Cave Shooter | Username has no girlfriend! | Moon man, Moon man, can't you see?
03-16-2009 01:10 AM
TG Link Offline
Rebel

pyromaniac Wrote:[lots of text]

TL;DR

[Image: Linksig.jpg]
Visit Tactical Gaming, a worldwide gaming clan.
03-16-2009 01:11 AM
True Strasserist Offline
Banned

TG Link Wrote:
pyromaniac Wrote:[lots of text]
it works fine

03-16-2009 02:09 AM
ChickenLeg Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Ok.

Try to unhide hidden files.

Also:

[Image: sbemail118.png]
That is not a small number! That is a BIG number!

[Image: b24db005eGyMw.png]
03-16-2009 05:43 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

I'll get the shotgun ChickenLeg...
03-18-2009 09:13 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Speaking of computers

I'm gettin a brand new rig this summer, I can almost pay for it ($1,068)

Not sure how to write specs but...

It will have
- Nvidia 9800GTX (might get 2 of these Biggrin )
- 6GB DDR2 RAM
- Intel Quad-Core 2.5Ghz
- 20in. screen Cool
- 2 hard drives (not sure what they were)

Gaming computers ftw

I'm giving my sister my laptop when I get it

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
04-17-2009 12:16 AM
MM Offline
Fanatic

Detrimental Bane Wrote:It will have
- 6GB DDR2 RAM
- Intel Quad-Core 2.5Ghz
- 20in. screen Cool

That would be a fucking nasty PC. 6GB of ram? That's next level.
04-17-2009 01:01 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

MM Wrote:
Detrimental Bane Wrote:It will have
- 6GB DDR2 RAM
- Intel Quad-Core 2.5Ghz
- 20in. screen Cool

That would be a fucking nasty PC. 6GB of ram? That's next level.

Nasty? That good or bad?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
04-17-2009 02:39 AM
MM Offline
Fanatic

Nasty as in good. My PC is pretty good and that's like two times better.
04-17-2009 02:41 AM
whistlingwings Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

ChickenLeg Wrote:

Ok.

Try to unhide hidden files.

Also:

[Image: sbemail118.png]
That is not a small number! That is a BIG number!

Strongbad, did you get a virus?

Erm... no...

Did you get 400,000 viruses?

Yes... VERY YES!!
04-17-2009 08:02 AM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Detrimental Bane Wrote:Speaking of computers

It will have
- 6GB DDR2 RAM
- Intel Quad-Core 2.5Ghz
- 20in. screen Cool

Gaming computers ftw

Are you building it or buying it from a brand. I suggest building one if you aren't.
04-17-2009 01:34 PM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Freeman Wrote:
Detrimental Bane Wrote:Speaking of computers

It will have
- 6GB DDR2 RAM
- Intel Quad-Core 2.5Ghz
- 20in. screen Cool

Gaming computers ftw

Are you building it or buying it from a brand. I suggest building one if you aren't.

Building it from the components,
bought ones seem to do worse performance than ones home built with the exact same things in them

― Neil deGrasse Tyson
04-17-2009 01:54 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Some PC people did some benchmarks for amounts of RAM. They tested all kinds of different amounts and found that having more than about 3gigs of RAM made no difference whatsoever to anything. Nothing uses that much RAM yet. Except maybe really busy servers or something. But not general use PC's or even gaming.

Hidden stuff:
04-18-2009 06:10 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:Some PC people did some benchmarks for amounts of RAM. They tested all kinds of different amounts and found that having more than about 3gigs of RAM made no difference whatsoever to anything. Nothing uses that much RAM yet. Except maybe really busy servers or something. But not general use PC's or even gaming.

I'm getting 6GB RAM juuust incase Smile

― Neil deGrasse Tyson
04-18-2009 07:12 AM
null Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

i personly dont mind ati or nvidia

this machine is

cpu: q660 @ 2.4 ghz
ram 4 gb,cant remember the cycles,cbf checking
hdd : samsung 500 gb
motherboard: gigabyte
case: thermaltake soprano
gfx card: nvidia gforce 8600

anyways thats one of the pc's here, got too many
04-26-2009 11:20 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

My 2006 iMac is all stock, but:
  • 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    [/list:u]

woah dude
dude woah
04-26-2009 11:27 PM
null Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Newtown Wrote:My 2006 iMac is all stock, but:
  • 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    [/list:u]

oh gawd, i cant stand mac :O

i used to take my laptop into a mac store and "introduce" it to them..used to carry on about all its exciting features just to watch these guys wanna hit me and be able to watch them as they could do nothing,lol, the most they did was call security

macs are all good though if ur into gfx etc

i still have a pentium 4,lol

but a computer is a computer and if it works thats all that matters Smile
04-26-2009 11:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hangout at Noon...Tech Talk... lisafromjackson 0 1,573 03-16-2015 12:47 AM
Last Post: lisafromjackson