RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progressive rock.
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)
Progressive rock.

Progressive rock (also referred to as art rock) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 60s and rose to high popularity in the 70s. Progressive rock’s song structures are typically much different from those of standard pop songs, often incorporating unusual time signatures, classical, jazz, and experimental influences, and less of a melodic focus than other genres. Some characteristics of prog include the aforementioned odd time signatures and outside influences, long, “suite”-like pieces that often stretch for more than 20 minutes, fantasy-based lyrics, extended keyboard solos, elaborate stage shows and stage theatrics, concept albums/rock operas, and well-designed album art.

The roots of prog are often said to begin in the late 60s, when bands such as Cream and The Beatles began to experiment beyond the standard 3 minute long pop song format. The Beatles are often said to have sown the first seeds of the movement, so to speak, incorporating orchestral arrangements onto their 1966 song “Eleanor Rigby”, and beginning the trend of elaborate album artwork with their 1967 record Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

In the mid-to-late 60s, the first prog bands began to form, though they were not all playing what was to be considered progressive rock at the time. By the early 70s, prog was now a viable genre of music. Bands such as Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (Tarkus, 1971), Genesis (Selling England By The Pound, 1973), Pink Floyd (Dark Side Of The Moon, 1972), and Yes (Close To The Edge, 1973), all rose to popularity. As well, acts such as Rush and King Crimson experienced moderate popularity (though Rush’s was to become much bigger in the 1980s). For a while, prog was a critically lauded genre.

In the late Seventies, with the advent of punk helping to dismiss prog bands as overblown, indulgent dinosaurs, and with key personnel changes among prominent bands, the genre experienced a decline. However, some bands continued to have popularity, tweaking their styles somewhat. For example, Genesis had their biggest success in the 80s when they became more of a pop/rock band under the leadership of Phil Collins.

Though progressive rock has not gotten close to the heights reached in the 70s, interest in the genre remains high. Neo-prog bands such as Marillion and Pendragon helped revive the genre somewhat, and more modern bands such as Queensryche, Tool, and Dream Theater have had commercial and critical success. Despite the genre’s obvious influence and importance in the history of rock music, prog has not been recognized by some of the eminent rock critics or establishments, such as Rolling Stone and the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. With the exception of Pink Floyd, no truly progressive band has been inducted into the Hall, though bands such as Jethro Tull and Procul Harum have been nominated in the past.

(essay written with the help of Wikipedia)

Maybe this could get stickied....

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-13-2008 05:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brok3niswack Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: Progressive rock.

You would like Liquid Tension Experiment, Its Dream Theater's musicians without any vocals. And its very Progressive
05-13-2008 01:44 PM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Those guys are cool. I don't listen to them nearly as much as I do Dream Theater, but they're good to listen to when you just want to kick back & jam.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

05-14-2008 04:44 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

bump

-Prince

06-05-2008 01:50 AM
Jonno Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

As you can tell by my sig, I like Dream Theater. Have you heard of a band called Porcupine Tree? They're a lot like DT.
06-06-2008 02:20 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Ruuuuush.

And Coheed? Maybe.
06-06-2008 02:27 PM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Stickeh. Awesome.

Quote:As you can tell by my sig, I like Dream Theater. Have you heard of a band called Porcupine Tree? They're a lot like DT.

I've heard of them, but not their music, save for a few seconds of the beginning of one of their songs. From what I've read, they're pretty good.

Quote:And Coheed? Maybe.

Come on, "2113"? "Welcome Home"? Entries in Wikipedia & AMG categorising their music as progressive rock or metal?

-Prince

06-07-2008 04:40 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Progressive Rock and Metal FTW!
My favorite Prog Metal bands are Green Carnation, Communic, Opeth, and Dream Theater.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
08-05-2008 04:31 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Quote:And Coheed? Maybe.

Come on, "2113"? "Welcome Home"? Entries in Wikipedia & AMG categorising their music as progressive rock or metal?[/quote]

So...is that a "come on, don't be ridiculous, of course they are" or a "Are you insane? They're emo, LOLOLOLOLOL" ?
08-09-2008 07:19 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

The first one.

-Prince

08-09-2008 07:22 AM
Paper Cuts Offline
Renegade

Love it, a lot. Jethro Tull is one of my favorite bands. Also like Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Gnodriling, Atlas, Asia Minor, KING CRIMSON, and many others. I also love Progressive Metal, such as Porcupine Tree, TOOL, A Perfect Circle, Mastodon, etc

[Image: 177518.png]
11-03-2009 12:58 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Paper Cuts Wrote:TOOL, A Perfect Circle, etc

FTW.
11-03-2009 01:08 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

PRAWG RAWK 4EV3R

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-03-2009 01:13 PM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

PROCOL HARUM, BITCHES

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
11-03-2009 01:20 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

BobManPerson II Wrote:PROCOL HARUM, BITCHES
Dude I was listening to them just earlier today. Damn good band, I have A Salty Dog in FLAC bitch. ^_^

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-03-2009 01:27 PM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

|55555| Wrote:
BobManPerson II Wrote:PROCOL HARUM, BITCHES
Dude I was listening to them just earlier today. Damn good band, I have A Salty Dog in FLAC bitch. ^_^

High five, nigger.

Check out Pandora's Box. Effing A song.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
11-03-2009 01:41 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

|55555| Wrote:Progressive Rock and Metal FTW!
My favorite Prog Metal bands are Green Carnation, Communic, Opeth, and Dream Theater.
This. Symphony X is a really good band too.

The only progressive rock bands I know are ELP and Genesis.

[Image: glorious666.png]
11-04-2009 11:03 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Lunatic Wrote:
|55555| Wrote:Progressive Rock and Metal FTW!
This. Symphony X is a really good band too.

The only progressive rock bands I know are ELP and Genesis.
For the record I now despise half of the bands I had listed as my favorites back then. xD Especially shitty ass dream theater.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-04-2009 11:06 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

|55555| Wrote:For the record I now despise half of the bands I had listed as my favorites back then. xD Especially shitty ass dream theater.
Why? Because of BS&SL? It's a really mediocre album IMO. Lots of copied riffs, lyrics and shit.

11-30-2009 12:09 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Lunatic Wrote:
|55555| Wrote:For the record I now despise half of the bands I had listed as my favorites back then. xD Especially shitty ass dream theater.
Why? Because of BS&SL? It's a really mediocre album IMO. Lots of copied riffs, lyrics and shit.
All their albums suck. lo0lo0lo0

Who am I? Who are YOU?
11-30-2009 12:36 PM
Fractomancer Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I am not sure if I should say this on the metal thread, because the band plays prog metal, but Andromeda is great!!
Their lyrics always cheer me up and cause flow to happen even when doing boring stuff while listening!

[Image: adhd_mild.gif] Try it on yourself!
01-26-2011 03:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Derp Offline
Rebel

RE: Progressive rock.

The Best Prog bands IMO are:

- Pink Floyd
- King Crimson
- Rush
- Opeth
- Dream Theater
- Tool
- Mastodon
11-21-2011 11:54 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Your taste is the shit derp

11-21-2011 04:04 PM
batboy138 Offline
MASTA SLAPA

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I love Pink Floyd. Someday, I'm gonna get all their albums.

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'." Yeah, but there is a "me" in "Team" spelled backwards!
12-04-2011 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

(12-04-2011 08:33 AM)batboy138 Wrote:  I love Pink Floyd. Someday, I'm gonna get all their albums.

This... except for the "all their albums" part, unless I become rich or something.
prog rockish bands I know of: Pink Floyd, ELP, Rush, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson (which I SHOULD be more familiar with), Cynic

Also I went to a dream theater concert a while ago. Wasn't too bad. I like some of their songs.

12-04-2011 05:41 PM
PAdude Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Progressive rock.

My favorite genre!

-Rush
-Peter Gabriel Genesis
-IQ
-Gentle Giant
-Yes
-Iron Maiden (seriously, I know they are usually considered straight up metal, but they are very prog)
11-06-2012 01:45 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Progressive rock.

A few off the top of my head:
Yes
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Salem Hill
Big Big Train
Kansas
Genesis (Peter Gabriel)
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 11:11 AM by Alistoriv.)
01-27-2013 11:10 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

This thread shows off that 2008 |55555| was not an intelligent guy at all.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-27-2013 11:19 AM
thesupremeanarchist Offline
Cannibal Corpse Fan

Given 23 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Progressive rock.

I am personally more of a fan of the psychedelic rock genre. Pink Floyd and The Doors are mostly what I listen to in that genre. But, I also like the Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and I have created a couple avant-garde/neo-pyschedelic/synth rock on Soundation.

666 Baby Annihilator.
06-21-2015 12:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  King Crimson (Progressive Rock) Sunbourn 5 586 02-25-2009 06:25 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn