RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disater in school
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Disater in school

Do you really think hiding under a desk will save you from falling objects. What if the building collapses. I mean really, they teach you to duck. What if the the desk crushes you. Hmmmm there scenarios suck ass. Id be safer outside rather than locked in a building. They said if there is an emergency, disaster. You cant leave. Well hell i would leave.
Shit, i dont trust the school and i cant stand half of the people there. Why would i stay. Shit ill just walk off campus. Its a disaster. Its everyone for themselves.
05-13-2008 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Re: Disater in school

Yah I know what you mean. Its kind of like when I leave my backpack in the locker room without a locker (No one ever steals my stuff Cool ) and the coach locks it with some plastic. So then I can't get my stuff, and they just say its for my security. None

So Its probably for your security too hah.

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
05-13-2008 11:29 AM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

What kind of disasters do they have drills for?

Formerly Headspace
05-13-2008 12:18 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Something_Spacey Wrote:Yah I know what you mean. Its kind of like when I leave my backpack in the locker room without a locker (No one ever steals my stuff Cool ) and the coach locks it with some plastic. So then I can't get my stuff, and they just say its for my security. None

yes everyone knows staying and being crushed is much safer. Rolleyes

Had to move on. Account is dead.
05-13-2008 01:05 PM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

--monkey666-- Wrote:
Something_Spacey Wrote:Yah I know what you mean. Its kind of like when I leave my backpack in the locker room without a locker (No one ever steals my stuff Cool ) and the coach locks it with some plastic. So then I can't get my stuff, and they just say its for my security. None

yes everyone knows staying and being crushed is much safer. Rolleyes
It really depends on the disaster, though. I mean, I doubt it happens much in Cali, but if you went outside in a tornado, as opposed to being inside, you'd be entirely boned.

Formerly Headspace
05-13-2008 01:33 PM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

What if the building collapses. Then, they also said that you cant leave the school without your parents. WTf, ill just walk off
05-13-2008 04:48 PM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

Hiding under desks, heh.

I've seen some of those "instructional videos" from the 50s, at the height of the Cold War, when a nuclear attack from the Soviets was thought to be likely. If we are to follow the sage advice of the turtle in the film, hiding under desks will prevent us from the bomb, as well as any fallout that would immediately result from said bomb.

Nowadays, it's just an easy way to get your ass trapped.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-14-2008 06:07 AM
Double Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Quote:hiding under desks will prevent us from the bomb, as well as any fallout that would immediately result from said bomb.

Radioactive-secure school desks would be nice Razz

Quote:Do you really think hiding under a desk will save you from falling objects. What if the building collapses. I mean really, they teach you to duck. What if the the desk crushes you. Hmmmm there scenarios suck ass. Id be safer outside rather than locked in a building. They said if there is an emergency, disaster. You cant leave. Well hell i would leave.
Shit, i dont trust the school and i cant stand half of the people there. Why would i stay. Shit ill just walk off campus. Its a disaster. Its everyone for themselves.

Are you referring to the earthquake in China just a few days ago? Reportedly, a whole school has buried all the students inside it, about 900 people. :(
05-14-2008 06:43 AM
brok3niswack Offline
Rebel

I would run out if it was an earthquake. But if it's a tornado i am staying :(
05-14-2008 09:57 AM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Xylophone Wrote:
Quote:hiding under desks will prevent us from the bomb, as well as any fallout that would immediately result from said bomb.

Quote:Do you really think hiding under a desk will save you from falling objects. What if the building collapses. I mean really, they teach you to duck. What if the the desk crushes you. Hmmmm there scenarios suck ass. Id be safer outside rather than locked in a building. They said if there is an emergency, disaster. You cant leave. Well hell i would leave.

Are you referring to the earthquake in China just a few days ago? Reportedly, a whole school has buried all the students inside it, about 900 people. :(
No im not referring to earthquakes in china, i live in California where earthquakes are common, we just had disaster scenario a couple of weeks ago.
05-14-2008 12:09 PM
akdonn Offline
Revolutionary

I was in Anchorage during the biggest earthquake ever recorded in North America. It happened on Good Friday (1964) and no schools were in session so not too many people were killed (100+).

Now they have regular earthquake drills in the schools and the students are all taught to get under their desks. For most schools this makes sense because if the brick walls collapse the metal and wood desks would be better cover than nothing. Going outside is not such a great idea because there is a lot of danger from stuff falling. I remember the telephone poles going side-to-side like toothpicks as waves in the ground broke up the concrete and asphalt.

The reason they have disaster drills is to maintain some kind of order so they know who is missing when the disaster is over. If you don't follow the rules and take off, you could cause emergency responders to have to waste a bunch of time and energy trying to track down somebody who is just stupid and not hurt.

On the other hand, if you leave the school and get killed while all the other kids who stay are alright, then you might qualify for a Darwin Award!
05-14-2008 12:29 PM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Dude, my classroms have exits to the open fields. Most of them anyways. What i hate is you cant leave without parent. But what if youre screwed.
05-14-2008 01:08 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

akdonn: It's all chance, really. If an earthquake occurs, I don't want to be anywhere NEAR a building's worth of concrete and metal. There's danger all around really. If the building collapses and the only ones left alive were those who ran, it looks like they made a better choice. Plus a lot of school disaster plans are incredibly nonsensical. My school, for example, would have everyone sit in a classroom while a shooter went through the building. Dozens would die if they followed that. I hear gunshots in the hallways, I'm going out the window. I'm not waiting to die.

K
S
05-14-2008 01:40 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Anonymous1.0 Wrote:akdonn: It's all chance, really. If an earthquake occurs, I don't want to be anywhere NEAR a building's worth of concrete and metal. There's danger all around really. If the building collapses and the only ones left alive were those who ran, it looks like they made a better choice. Plus a lot of school disaster plans are incredibly nonsensical. My school, for example, would have everyone sit in a classroom while a shooter went through the building. Dozens would die if they followed that. I hear gunshots in the hallways, I'm going out the door. I'm not waiting to die.

Wouldn't going out the door, like, practically guarantee your death?
05-14-2008 02:01 PM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Depends, if your tactical, you can get around the shooter. And if you really want to kill him.
05-14-2008 03:53 PM
rAnx Offline
Revolutionary

Magic, how old is your school?

Formerly Headspace
05-14-2008 09:45 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:
Anonymous1.0 Wrote:akdonn: It's all chance, really. If an earthquake occurs, I don't want to be anywhere NEAR a building's worth of concrete and metal. There's danger all around really. If the building collapses and the only ones left alive were those who ran, it looks like they made a better choice. Plus a lot of school disaster plans are incredibly nonsensical. My school, for example, would have everyone sit in a classroom while a shooter went through the building. Dozens would die if they followed that. I hear gunshots in the hallways, I'm going out the door. I'm not waiting to die.

Wouldn't going out the door, like, practically guarantee your death?
Window. I meant window. It's fixed now.

K
S
05-15-2008 01:43 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

Xylophone Wrote:

But the schools would have to pay quite a bit of money for desks like that. Then they wouldn't have enough money left for such necessities such as school uniforms & HD televisions.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-15-2008 05:50 AM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

rAnx Wrote:Magic, how old is your school?
About forty years old. If not older. Its a birck buliding. They also added classrooms outside the school, portables. The locker rooms are crap. The gym and the whole school could be torn down.
05-15-2008 08:38 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

Lockdowns are bullshit. Do you know how easy it is for someone with a full-auto to get into a locked classroom at my school? Half of the entrance to each classroom is made out of "bulletproof" glass that can easily be broken by a fucking magnet.

School shooter? Every man for himself.
05-15-2008 10:16 AM
Chuplayer Offline
Renegade

They're still telling you to hide under your desk? I thought the Cold War ended already.
05-15-2008 11:32 AM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

We had a lockdown scenario as well, we were told to hid all the way in the back, stay quiet so the shooter would think we are not there. Shit if i was the shooter, i would just shoot through the bug ass window in the room. I dont think lying on the floor helps either. I would just run. And if i hijacked the PA systym, the codes are very simple. Code red means shooter, code green means all clear. Mwahaha
05-15-2008 11:55 AM