RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why I'm a teacher and why I'm here
Stephanie Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
why I'm a teacher and why I'm here

Hi all from another teacher. It's great to read all your ideas, opinions, rants, and some bitching and moaning too. This has to be one of the world's only professions where the "provider", that is teachers and schools, listen to everyone except for the actual "customers", you. Admittedly, most customers can choose to go elsewhere if they don't like the service they're getting!

So how did I get into this madhouse of education? and why the heck do I stay? I'm one of those idealistic sods that still whole-heartedly believe they can make a difference in this profession, oh and I love learning and I want to share that with other people.

The saddest thing for me is the huge (and growing) gap between learning and schooling. So many people - especially teachers - seem to have the two mixed up somehow or not even realize they are two different things, but I admit it's hard sometimes sitting in the classroom planning lessons and units and assessments and gah - all that jazz - and ending up with learning rather than schooling. I'm hoping hanging out here will help keep me on track.

Also I'm more than happy to give you the teacher side of things if you have any questions or comments or whatever.

BTW - I am Australian, I teach elementary school in an international school in Japan, I've been teaching for 5 years, and when I was in high school I hated it and wanted nothing more than for my mum to move me to England so I could go to Summerhill.
05-14-2008 12:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Re: why I'm a teacher and why I'm here

Welcome

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
05-14-2008 01:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Welcome. Smile
05-14-2008 02:31 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Hi, welcome. It's good to have a teacher.
05-14-2008 03:15 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Thunder: Who isn't Akdonn. Razz
Welcome
Hug
It's great to have you here. What grades do you teach?
Also, this has been nagging me FOREVER; why the freak aren't hats/hoods allowed in school? Thanks in advance!

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
05-14-2008 03:18 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

It really is nice to see teachers here.

Welcome!
05-14-2008 05:08 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hi, welcome Smile
I hope we don't scare you off. We're a bit insane over here. Laugh

Out of curiosity, how did you find this site?

What are schools in Japan like? We haven't heard much about how things work over there, but I've heard it's pretty strict.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-14-2008 07:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hanny's Old Account Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Welcome! I'll warn you, we have an organisation called the Butt Pirates. We like sex, even though we're all virgins. =]

Welcome, and I hope you can try and help us to understand why teachers give out detentions.

Whoa, it was never my intention to brag
but I got him where I want him now...

[Image: Chiisu.png]
My brother who has problems with grammar in the middle of words Wrote:M0nkeynut5 says (14:20):
Well - yeah In am hot. Obviously. Your lovely an al;l but I have the better genes and I'm roasting hot!
05-14-2008 07:43 AM
happy fool called Nigel Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Watch out for akdonn! He's a pervert.

And welcome.

Hanyess: Detentions suck. Eh? I've done so much shit: Never got one.

They in the sea being burnt, they in the burnt ship drowned.

[Image: nigelsmex.jpg]
05-14-2008 07:55 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Pirate arg welcome aboard mate!!!
its good to have a teachers input on ss
were pretty insane here oh yeah and watch out for akdonn he is a gay faggot
05-14-2008 10:55 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

Welcome to the Butt Pirates clan! Try not to get scared off..we say and do somethings that some people might not find appropriate..BUT WE DO IT ANYWAY. And about the thing Hayness said about all us being virgins? not ALL of us are. *cough* Suicidal-Kun and thought criminal *cough*

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
05-14-2008 11:03 AM
Fanatic

She's going to be scared off, isn't she?
05-14-2008 11:04 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

hmm im dectecting an 85.76% chance

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
05-14-2008 11:05 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

how the fuck do you know that?????
05-14-2008 11:07 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Hey welcome to SS, I'm sure you'll fit in great, but we are pretty insane, so if you can't handle the inanity get out of the SS. Razz Biggrin
05-14-2008 11:08 AM
Fanatic

thought criminal Wrote:how the fuck do you know that?????

There's a clue.
05-14-2008 11:08 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

i never told him
05-14-2008 11:10 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

what is this clue you speak of.....i just picked a random number.....

05-14-2008 11:13 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Suicidal-kun Wrote:if you can't handle the inanity
I <3 this typo.

It's also quite relevant in this thread. xD

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
05-14-2008 11:16 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Quote:And about the thing Hayness said about all us being virgins? not ALL of us are. *cough* Suicidal-Kun and thought criminal *cough*
Sui's a virgin, trust me.
05-14-2008 11:18 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

KittyKatBlack Wrote:
Quote:And about the thing Hayness said about all us being virgins? not ALL of us are. *cough* Suicidal-Kun and thought criminal *cough*

Laugh Laugh Laugh
damn SK, she's got you by your balls

05-14-2008 11:19 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

fist_of_doom Wrote:
Suicidal-kun Wrote:if you can't handle the inanity
I <3 this typo.

It's also quite relevant in this thread. xD
Then it was on purpose! Yes, I made that typo on purpose! Laugh

pieman Wrote:
KittyKatBlack Wrote:
Yup, I be a virgin. If only me and kitty-chan lived near each other, then maybe I wouldn't be.
05-14-2008 11:35 AM
Fanatic

I love how a welcome post by a teacher turns into a discussion on sex.
05-14-2008 11:37 AM
Suicidal-kun Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:I love how a welcome post by a teacher turns into a discussion on sex.
Well, look at it this way, its a good example of how insane we are. Biggrin
05-14-2008 11:38 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Laugh exactly
05-14-2008 09:21 PM
Stephanie Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Thanks for all your welcomes, as you can see I haven't been scared off yet - despite the insanity/inanity Cuckoo

Darthmat - hats, WTF. I'm totally with you on this one but I never really thought about it so I looked it up:

"It's an old English custom where hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady (remove your hat if you stop to talk), or to "say" to anyone, male or female – thank you, excuse me, hello, goodbye, you’re welcome or how do you do.

Tipping of the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness. This hat tipping custom has the same origin as military saluting, which came from the raising of medieval Knights face visors to show friendliness.

Hats are worn less now, but at the turn of the 20th century, all adults wore hats whenever they left the house. It was a matter of good personal hygiene, since hats were a protection from industrial dirt.

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in any building that can be classified as a dwelling such as an apartment house or hotel. He puts it on again in the corridor.

It's therefore become a mark of respect to take them off during a meal, funerals, church service, when you greet someone in the street, or any other occasion when you want to signify that you respect the person. That's where the term, "I take my hat off to you" originated. "

I did mention I love learning right, so sorry for the long long explanation. It's old conservative traditional crap - that's the short answer. I have a bad habit of chopping my hair with kitchen scissors when I'm bored, leading to lots of bad hair days. I also wish I could wear a hat at school.

SoulRiser - I found this site, if you must know the honest truth, by typing "school sux" into google.

Schools in Japan are strict - from junior high up anyways. There is a very strong conception of what is "normal" and if you don't fit into that your school life will be miserable. Much more so than in the West because school over here really affects the rest of your life choices. Everything is about passing entrance examinations to schools with good reputations. Without that on your resume you're pretty much screwed for ever finding well paid work. I would have hated going to school here. In Australia there are a lot more options - you can always change your mind about what you want from your life - not so in Japan.

Hannyness - Detentions are what teachers give you when they want you to do something you didn't do, or not do something you did do and they have no idea how to get what they want. Theyr'e usually handed out either from desperation, or from lazyness.

Also, hello butt-pirates, virgin or otherwise.
05-14-2008 09:26 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:Thanks for all your welcomes, as you can see I haven't been scared off yet - despite the insanity/inanity Cuckoo

Congratulations, you have passed the first test! Laugh

Quote:SoulRiser - I found this site, if you must know the honest truth, by typing "school sux" into google.

I didn't expect that Smile

Quote:Schools in Japan are strict - from junior high up anyways. There is a very strong conception of what is "normal" and if you don't fit into that your school life will be miserable. Much more so than in the West because school over here really affects the rest of your life choices. Everything is about passing entrance examinations to schools with good reputations. Without that on your resume you're pretty much screwed for ever finding well paid work. I would have hated going to school here. In Australia there are a lot more options - you can always change your mind about what you want from your life - not so in Japan.

Maybe that's why all anime from Japan is so weird (and often about school)... they have repressed urges to do abnormal things Razz

I'm glad I didn't grow up there. It's good to know that there are caring teachers over there though (you) Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-15-2008 02:13 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Quote:Maybe that's why all anime from Japan is so weird (and often about school)... they have repressed urges to do abnormal things Razz

rofl!!!! Rofl
05-15-2008 03:48 AM
Alucard483 Offline
Site Mod

Given 92 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

Welcome, it would seem as though you posses some intelligence. I do hope that its doth not get spoiled here.

Whilst some work diligently there are those who ask why. I am one of them
(\__/) This is Bunny. Paste Bunny into your signature
(='.'=) to help him gain world domination.
(")_(")
Soul#2: I already have a grip. Doc:and a porno mag and a tube of lube I'm sure"
Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
This has been a test of the emergency pointless argument system. Had this been a real pointless argument, someone would have been called a facist.
Ceiling Cat: For that you need to wear a fursuit, though.

Inside sources say that Carla Franklin has had more dick in her than a public urinal.
05-15-2008 04:33 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Alucard483 Wrote:Welcome, it would seem as though you posses some intelligence. I do hope that its doth not get spoiled here.

well its normally just the insanity that is the true intelligence.

05-15-2008 06:57 AM