RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why I'm a teacher and why I'm here
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Re: why I'm a teacher and why I'm here

Stephanie, as for why they have to learn all of that stuff, I'm reading a pretty fascinating book on the development of the American public school system. I'm sure a lot of it is relevant to many schools using similar models. The book is John Taylor Gatto's The Underground History of American Education. Full citation below. BTW, I'm also a teacher (college level in the U.S.).

Gatto, John Taylor. 2003. The underground history of American education : A schoolteacher’s intimate investigation into the prison of modern schooling. New York: Oxford Village Press.

You can find a copy of it here for a pretty reasonable price (US$ 34.95, but it's a thick book). http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/bookstore/index.htm

And welcome to SS. Good place, and lots of good folks here.

I got nothin'.
06-16-2008 04:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That whole book is freely available online, too.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-17-2008 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

True. I just find it a heck of a lot harder to use for my work that way. No page references, so I can't cite sources appropriately.

I got nothin'.
06-17-2008 09:21 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Doc Johnson Wrote:True. I just find it a heck of a lot harder to use for my work that way. No page references, so I can't cite sources appropriately.
Paper is easier to read, but this is a terrible reason not to be using the digital version. If this is the reason you can't use the digital version, there's something's wrong with the citation style you're using. I guess academia is conservative in typographic style.
06-17-2008 02:11 PM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

The styleguide is The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition. It's 956 pages long, so yeah. Kinda. Smile

I got nothin'.
06-17-2008 02:33 PM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Doc Johnson Wrote:The styleguide is The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition. It's 956 pages long, so yeah. Kinda. Smile
I hate Chicago and MLA styles. Are you jealous of scientists whose papers don't have to fit a disgusting typographic style and whose bibliographies follow a logical format?
06-19-2008 01:43 PM
Doc Johnson Offline
Fanatic

Umm.. no? I just want to get the fucker published. So my publisher says "put it in Chicago style" and that's what I gotta do. School is not the only place where people have to deal w/ stupid bullshit. Laugh

I got nothin'.
06-19-2008 03:37 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

mean the whole "you'll have to use this in real life so pay attention" thing is TRUE!?!?!
.......crap...

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
07-18-2008 03:23 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:SoulRiser - I found this site, if you must know the honest truth, by typing "school sux" into google.

Me too.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
07-23-2008 06:42 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

And teacher, welcome, as long as you don't do anything like you do in school you're welcome here. But then again, I can't blame you for being here-it is one of the greatest sites ever. Google

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
07-23-2008 06:44 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

Sorry ifthat last comment was kind of offensive. Let me rephrase that:

As long as you don't do the bad things that most teachers do in school, you're welcome here. Biggrin

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
07-23-2008 06:46 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

facepalm.jpg

K
S
07-23-2008 06:49 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

[img]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/da/Notagain2.jpg[/img]

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
07-23-2008 06:57 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

Yes, I know, I'll try to edit next time.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
07-23-2008 05:13 PM