RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Would you enable the banner?
Yes, on top is fine
Yes, but only if it's at the bottom
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advertising Experiment
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Advertising Experiment

You get these things called banner exchanges, where you display banners on your site in exchange for other sites displaying your banner. Generally, you get a percentage... like, for every 2 banners you display, yours gets shown 1 time. This ratio can increase if a decent amount of people click the banners displayed on your site. It can also decrease if nobody clicks the banners Razz

The forums here get about 4000-5000 page views per day from all of you combined. So, what I'm proposing as an experiment, is a totally optional banner on top (or maybe bottom) of each forum page, so that SS's banner(s) get shown at other sites, and may bring more people to the site. At a 2:1 ratio, that's SS's banner being shown to other people 2000-2500 times a day. If 1% of those people click it... that's 20 people a day. Not to the forums, mind you, they'll be going to the main page or maybe some of the subpages. If they do find their way here, that's great too. Even if they don't click the banner, there'll be some info on the banner itself as well.

It'll be completely optional, you won't see any banners unless you specifically turn it on in a little banner option page that I have yet to set up. I just wanna know how many people would actually turn it on before I set it up... Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-16-2008 05:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Re: Advertising Experiment

If it's an option, it could be optional where it's positioned. I'd prefer not to have to scroll past it on my phone. Maybe, though, just stick it up for a few days for everyone and see how well it works.

If we made a little video that a lot of ppl watched on web sites and emailed, I bet that could bring many visitors.
05-16-2008 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:If it's an option, it could be optional where it's positioned.

That can be arranged as well.

Quote:Maybe, though, just stick it up for a few days for everyone and see how well it works.

*GASP*
You mean, expose people on SS to advertising they didn't choose to see?! Blasphemy! Laugh

Quote:If we made a little video that a lot of ppl watched on web sites and emailed, I bet that could bring many visitors.

Possibly. OK, Darthmat: do something silly and film it and link to SS. Kthxbye Biggrin

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-16-2008 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:Maybe, though, just stick it up for a few days for everyone and see how well it works.

*GASP*
You mean, expose people on SS to advertising they didn't choose to see?! Blasphemy! Laugh
OMG Pleeeeeeeeeease don't ban me I was just brainstorming OMG! Bigeek :waah:

Didn't you have adsense on the site? Suspicious

Laugh
05-16-2008 10:47 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I'm confused. D:
Your first post confused me. D:<
I really don't get it. Explain it better please.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
05-16-2008 10:49 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Basically, soul was proposing to add banner ads to the forum pages, for people who enable that option. The more times these ads are viewed, the more times an ad for SS would appear on other sites in the program. Potentially that would lead to more visitors to the site.
05-16-2008 11:02 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Ooooooh. Well, since my parents are **** I can't upload vids. But I will help write a script. Biggrin

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
05-16-2008 11:09 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:OMG Pleeeeeeeeeease don't ban me I was just brainstorming OMG! Bigeek :waah:

DIE, you vile blasphemous creature!
Naw, just kiddin'. Hug

Quote:Didn't you have adsense on the site? Suspicious

I do, but only visitors can see it. If you're logged in, it doesn't show up.

Quote:Basically, soul was proposing to add banner ads to the forum pages, for people who enable that option. The more times these ads are viewed, the more times an ad for SS would appear on other sites in the program. Potentially that would lead to more visitors to the site.

Good summary. Yes

I'll most definitely make it optional as to where on the page it shows up (top or bottom). Won't be too much more effort.

Hidden stuff:
05-17-2008 04:33 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

As a test for in the meantime, I've made it show the banner on top of all pages to people who are not logged in (about 1000 page views a day). It has been there for a while, but it was right at the bottom, and I don't think anyone ever saw it there. So nobody clicked on it, and the ratio for showing SS banners was really low (like 1:10 or something). I wanna see if it goes up.

Hidden stuff:
05-17-2008 06:00 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Well, about 3 people have clicked SS's banner in the past... what? 4 days? This really isn't worth much unless there's a lot more traffic going into it. It's also possible it just isn't a very eye-catching banner. I'm waiting for the people running the banner place to approve my new one I submitted a few days ago.

Hidden stuff:
05-20-2008 05:02 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

I saw a banner for lingerie up there once.

Is there something someone's not telling us?

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-20-2008 05:30 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Serious? Hmm, I don't think they're supposed to approve stuff like that.

Hidden stuff:
05-20-2008 06:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Meh. Having the ads on the forums has probably gotten a grand total of like... 10 people to come to SS. Doesn't seem worth it, even if everyone opted in. So... I guess I'll switch these silly exchange ads with ads that actually pay me. Shrug

Hidden stuff:
06-06-2008 10:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Banksy on Advertising Elfy 11 3,540 07-03-2014 06:01 PM
Last Post: Efs
  Advertising myself యూజర్ పేరు 7 3,163 03-25-2012 04:21 PM
Last Post: fish20
  Use of children in advertising. Raikuron 12 2,887 06-03-2010 04:55 AM
Last Post: Denied
  "Offensive" advertising Thought Criminal 18 3,182 04-16-2010 01:46 PM
Last Post: genuine anarchist
  Leaving Experiment. John Tuttle 4 1,542 01-25-2009 02:43 AM
Last Post: John Tuttle