RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is piracy a crime?
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Re: Is piracy a crime?

Piracy, what kind of piracy?
Hidden stuff:
[Image: Black-Beard.jpg]

In my opinion, pirating software isn't stealing. It does not deprive someone of a physical object, it is merely copying. If one looks at the issue from the point of view of the libertarian axiom, the nonaggression principle, then it should be legal.

But the real world rarely does what we want it to do. As a practical measure, I'm in favor of limiting copyrights to 20 years. That should be more than enough time to make money off of the copyrighted material.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-07-2011 01:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Asder Miller Offline
Banned

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:Piracy, what kind of piracy?
Hidden stuff:

In my opinion, pirating software isn't stealing. It does not deprive someone of a physical object, it is merely copying. If one looks at the issue from the point of view of the libertarian axiom, the nonaggression principle, then it should be legal.

But the real world rarely does what we want it to do. As a practical measure, I'm in favor of limiting copyrights to 20 years. That should be more than enough time to make money off of the copyrighted material.

But that's one less amount of pay the creator of the item is gonna get. Pirates don't really care if the person they copy from ends up on the streets.
07-09-2011 04:57 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

^Actually, the majority of us do. Let's take a video game for example... Oblivion if you will. If everyone pirated it, and the company depended on donations for Skyrim (the sequel), I'm quiet sure everyone would donate.

I myself have already contributed to a couple of bands. And when I watch a good movie after pirating it, I usually go out and by it when I get the chance just to support the creator of it. Although, I'd much rather donate so it negates the costs of packaging shipping and all of that shit...

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
07-09-2011 05:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Asder Miller Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:Piracy, what kind of piracy?
Hidden stuff:

But that's one less amount of pay the creator of the item is gonna get. Pirates don't really care if the person they copy from ends up on the streets.
But it's not like you can own something intangible, like an idea, or a process, or a .pdf file. No, I don't think people should be shoplifting, but when you torrent a movie nobody is being deprived of that movie, you are actually creating another copy of the movie.

And there are other forms of revenue to make. Selling t-shirts, selling actual copies of books, concerts for bands, and other stuff.

07-09-2011 05:02 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Think about the implications of intellectual property law and something like this in the future:

Watch on YouTube

07-09-2011 06:14 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:Think about the implications of intellectual property law and something like this in the future:

Watch on YouTube

So now all they have to do is make it so the scanner can get a look at the inside of things, and replicate things like hard drives and what not. But holy fuck, that's fucking amazing.

Edit:

You'd probably have to get different types of powder and shit though. I doubt that powder conducts electricity and shit.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
07-09-2011 07:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:Think about the implications of intellectual property law and something like this in the future:

Watch on YouTube

So now all they have to do is make it so the scanner can get a look at the inside of things, and replicate things like hard drives and what not. But holy fuck, that's fucking amazing.
I don't know if it's that advanced, but it's on it's way.

07-09-2011 07:29 AM
Sc00lh8er24 Offline
buttcrying buttears from my own butt

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Interesting thread.

I take the moderate road and I pay what I think I owe people. I never pirate new games or new movies.

I do take songs, because the shit at I-tunes is overpriced and the artists are rich as fuck as it is.

I do whatever feels right.

Actually, I have no conscience, so I do whatever the fuck I want (I'm drunk again)
07-09-2011 02:26 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
RE: Is piracy a crime?

Aha! Now you're getting the idea as to why we don't like school.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-01-2013 12:18 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

we hate skool because piracy is a touchy subject on whether it's a crime or not?

go home trekki, you're drunk.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
02-01-2013 12:44 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(03-24-2011 12:11 PM)Asder Miller Wrote:  Lets say I'm a artist. If someone takes one of my works, copies it and produces it, I lose income from that action. Basically it means my time was worth nothing to them. My efforts to make a living mean nothing to them and to me, it is stealing. They are making use of something I created and as a professional for money.

That bit is why. It's because school acts like our time is worth nothing. I'm not saying it should be worth as much as the teacher's, since the teacher is theoretically, at least, qualified. I'm saying it's rather jarring to be told school is your job when you don't get paid for it.

stupid article
02-01-2013 12:47 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

...i honestly get annoyed, now, when people take someone typing something and use that to help relate to their reasoning when the two things aren't really all that similar. Especially when, in this case, someone thinks that the person who "stole" from them thinks that their time meant nothing to the "thief." But in reality, the "thief" is thanking the creator somehow for doing that because he couldn't do it himself for numerous reasons, the fact that he didn't pay for it is kind of pointless. How many people in history have gotten things without paying for them and not been thankful? I'm pretty thankful that Britain wanted to get crops from my country, before it was a country, then the people they sent over got pissed and decided to not pay for anything British and instead just take the land they were given as their own.

School may act like your time is worthless, but that does not entirely mean the same as someone "stealing" from you thinking your time is worthless, because without you he wouldn't be able to put food on his table either.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

02-01-2013 01:04 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Yeah....asdermiller has a problem admitting that school may not be the bestest shiniest thing ever...excuse me if I grabbed an advantage when he seemed to have a clue. How many people in history have gotten things without paying for them and not been thankful? Lots. So what? Prices in shops are marked up to counteract shoplifting... still, if I take something without paying, 'I'm showing my gratitude' isn't going to get my butt out of trouble.

stupid article
02-01-2013 01:10 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

well, if you get caught stealing then it's your own fault. I have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught because they didn't know how to avoid the people that would turn them in. I have stolen a few tiny things from public places, never from shops though because I'd rather not get in trouble with the police, especially not after I turned 18 like 2 weeks ago.

I doubt that people who get things for free aren't thankful ever in history. No matter how something you got for free turns out, you will always be happy that you got that for free instead of paying a lot of money for it. It's kind of like cookies/bananas, you can be mad before you eat a cookie/banana, you can be mad after, but you can never be mad while you're eating it.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

02-01-2013 05:20 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

I didn't say they weren't thankful. Just that it didn't matter whether they were or not. And as for eating a cookie/banana, you absolutely can be mad while eating it... just because you can't show it because you know....mouth full...doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Nothing is free though. There's always a cost, whether time or money. If it's not worth the cost, it's going to be resented.

stupid article
02-01-2013 07:56 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

there's been studies that prove that certain foods release things in your bodies and those things make you feel happy, cookies (i know for a fact that chocolate chips do, not sure about any others) and bananas are among them.

one of the things i don't like about artists/people who complain about piracy stealing their business, they don't realize that they are getting free publicity and free advertising so that my friends (who don't pirate because they don't know how and one because he doesn't want to) can go out and buy the actual thing. I got something for free and now i'm getting people to actually pay for it, it feels like a win-win situation to me.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

02-01-2013 09:22 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

(02-01-2013 09:22 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  there's been studies that prove that certain foods release things in your bodies and those things make you feel happy, cookies (i know for a fact that chocolate chips do, not sure about any others) and bananas are among them.

No, they don't. The studies prove that they decrease stress and lessen pain. Note: decrease and lessen, not eliminate. True, you can't be as mad while eating said comfort foods. There's a big difference between 'happier' and 'happy' though.

stupid article
02-02-2013 07:13 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

back on topic...

piracy isn't a crime, it's free publicity.

However, 18th century piracy IS a crime for the most part.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

02-03-2013 11:13 AM