RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Review: Calculus Vol. I by Tom M. Apostol
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I've been working through this book and it's top-notch. I have the second edition which made significant improvements to the first edition:

1. more exercises were added
2. a chapter devoted to an introduction to differential equations was added
3. the book was divided into smaller chapters
4. several sections were revised with the help of other professors
5. an enormous introduction to linear algebra was added (over 170 pages!).

This book was published 40 years ago, and it's a shame that universities across the country continue to use dumbed down textbooks by authors such as Thomas with a dozen different unnecessary versions.

When working through Apostol, the student can actually pick up a distinct tone instead of seeing large blocks of examples, theorems, and then a list of predictable exercises. With most new concepts, he briefly talks about the historical developments dating back anywhere from Leibniz to the Greeks. I smiled when he introduced the philosophical problem of Zeno's paradox on the chapter Sequences, Infinite Series, Improper Integrals.

He develops proofs rigorously and I have to disagree with someone at amazon.com that said Apostol is the master of obscure proofs. His proofs are complete and don't cut corners. All of his examples are difficult (as they should be) but he offers plenty of explanation so that the reader has no excuse to get lost.

The format of the exercises was a breath of fresh air. The usual formatting of the average textbook is for example, in a chapter on integration using natural logarithms, a subheading "Finding the Derivative" then "Logarithmic Differentiation". Wow, thanks for giving away the answer since you do the exact same thing every time. Apostol's exercises are pleasantly varied with theory and applications and he'll often throw in a review problem or two that incorporates old material to keep you on your toes. You are forced to think about what to do since everything you've gone over up to that point is fair game. Also, he often asks you to prove or show something which will scare away the modern math student familiar with simply doing a massive list of evaluations.

Unfortunately, there are no elegant pictures that are contained in a modern textbook since they didn't have computers with Mathematica 6.0 and laser printers in the 1960s. All the pictures are sufficient however and give you enough spatial understanding.

I found out later that Vol. I and Vol. II (multivariable calculus portion) are basically a complete course in linear algebra along with the calculus. The linear algebra book by Apostol doesn't have much new material except for the applications to differential equations.

Working through this book may confuse you because you begin to wonder whether you're learning single-variable calculus or taking a course in real analysis, linear algebra, and differential equations all at the same time. He writes conversationally, so although he sprints ahead non-traditionally, the student will feel comfortable tackling material in later courses early in their studies.

So if you want to learn calculus rather than learning how to do problems involving calculus, pick up Tom M. Apostol.

EDIT: I want to add a warning that this book is extremely difficult. You may want to pick up "Math Proofs Demystified" (you can get this at any major book store in the math section or at www.amazon.com for cheap). It can be hard to follow the theory if you're used to being spoon fed.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
06-06-2008 03:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: Book Review: Calculus Vol. I by Tom M. Apostol

Awesome!

I'll look into it.
06-06-2008 04:18 AM
Sriram Chandrasekaran Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm a newbie and I'm not sure where else to ask this question

In Tom Apostol's Calculus - 1, the chapter 1 has a segment for calculating the area of parabolic segment( in the second edition this is I 1.3 and the page number is 3). The author goes on with the proof and I'm able to follow him till page 6 , I.4. Then he goes to do something that I'm not able to understand. This line from the book "For our purposes, we do not need the exact expressions given in the right-hand members of (I.3) and (I.4). All we need are the two inequalities" is the one where I lose my track as I'm not sure how he is able to frame the next equation I.5 from this.

Thankyou for reading my post and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question
03-23-2015 02:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Book Review: The Dark Elf Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore Michio-kun 1 621 06-06-2008 07:25 AM
Last Post: Czaran