RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Flow
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Flow

This topic is about the mental state of flow. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

Anyways, flow sounds somewhat similar to the state of gnosis. It's very interesting. It's the feeling I get whenever I'm totally immersed in a ritual I'm performing or I'm really in deep to a sigil. Just total focus on the activity at hand. Very freeing.
Also, if schools somehow structured their lessons around how flow could best be achieved, students would be doing so much better. Of course, it would require everyone to be there voluntarily, but education would be so much better if we somehow structured our learning around achieving flow and using the state to intake more information and better retain it.

K
S
06-11-2008 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
starfish Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Re: Flow

its one of the nicest feelings in the world. childhood is full of those moments. Why do you think we experience flows less and less as we age?
06-11-2008 02:12 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i dont remember most of my childhood. now i have no joy in my life, hm

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
06-12-2008 01:25 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Quote:its one of the nicest feelings in the world. childhood is full of those moments. Why do you think we experience flows less and less as we age?
It's subjective, but not to age, it depends on the person. Some activities allow people to really get into the psychological stage, and some do not. It depends on your interests and how they affect you.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
06-12-2008 01:44 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Aye. I've been discovering a whole range of things that interest me lately. So I tend to get into the state of flow a lot more frequently now.

K
S
06-12-2008 01:58 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Does sex count? Biggrin
06-12-2008 02:01 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Ummm... yeah, actually. That's probably the one activity that people universally experience Flow. Unless.... you're like... being raped or you're focusing on what your body looks like under the covers or something.
Other activities would include: listening to music, drawing, writing, playing a game (video games and athletics,) and even things like organizing something.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
06-12-2008 02:19 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

A while ago I got up, turned on the PC, started programming. Next thing I know, it's 10pm. Twas awesome.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
06-12-2008 03:56 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I've been getting this Flow thing a lot lately. It's like I never run out of stuff to do, I'm never bored... I wish I didn't have to sleep at all...

But when I was on the farm and had to work every day, I got bored a lot. Interesting, that...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-13-2008 04:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I get this in short spurs.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
06-13-2008 08:07 AM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

This is what I get when I meditate. I lose track of time, space, and surroundings; It's like a trance. I remember a lot of what happens there. I once made a mental altar. I remember every detail of that room, down to the decor to the position of the door.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
06-13-2008 08:19 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

So flow was what allowed me to totally focus on schoolwork for 10 years? Why, oh why did I have to lose that ability this year? :( Ugh. Busywork sucks if you can't get in the flow. I wish I knew how to create this mental state for myself at will.
06-13-2008 06:06 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

dreamer... Wrote:So flow was what allowed me to totally focus on schoolwork for 10 years?
mmmm I disagree. Flow is the result of total focus.

Epic win book.
06-13-2008 06:22 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Flow is just a feeling, however, and can be onset by intense focus of just about anything, no matter how blatantly anti-intellectual or unwise. If you can learn to focus intensely on math and languages alone, possibilities of acheivement is inane. Such isn't the case with reading childrens novels for fun.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
06-14-2008 04:50 PM
Mace63 Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Hmm...I still don't get what flow is.
Wikipedia only confused me more.
I get lots of weird feelings,so yeah... Rolleyes
Is it something when you get into something you are doing and forget about time & space??

lol.
06-17-2008 11:20 PM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Yes, I think so.
06-18-2008 11:59 AM
Mace63 Offline
Rebel

^Hmm...If it's like that,I don't think I experience flow that much.
Surely when I was younger,but I don't know about now.

I think it may be a scary thing to feel,I mean forgetting about time and space is scary for me... Confused
06-18-2008 11:15 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Mace63 Wrote:^Hmm...If it's like that,I don't think I experience flow that much.
Surely when I was younger,but I don't know about now.

I think it may be a scary thing to feel,I mean forgetting about time and space is scary for me... Confused
Thats the thing. You won't be aware you aren't aware of the time.

Epic win book.
06-19-2008 05:36 AM
Mace63 Offline
Rebel

Well yeah,probably.
(hmm I never thought about that...xD)
06-19-2008 06:19 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
RE: Flow

(06-13-2008 08:19 AM)Hanny Wrote:  This is what I get when I meditate. I lose track of time, space, and surroundings; It's like a trance. I remember a lot of what happens there. I once made a mental altar. I remember every detail of that room, down to the decor to the position of the door.

What medication are you taking??

No, this is Patrick.
12-09-2011 10:43 AM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

I get that feeling when I play a really immersive video game or watch a movie. Time goes by so quickly when I'm enjoying it.

Ex. Minecraft or Battlefield
Ex2. Any movie I enjoy, which are a lot
Misc. Sleeping.

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
01-30-2012 04:03 PM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

I don't remember feeling anything like that.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
01-30-2012 07:41 PM
Dirtbikemike Offline
Balls denser than a White Dwarf

Given 78 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Intense focus (mentioned by Ahab)

Balls of Steel:
Hidden stuff:
(01-13-2012 10:37 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Mike you deserve an SS medal. Here, be proud:
[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
Congrats for doing something I never had the balls to do.
If you have kids, save them from the bullshit you are forced to go through.
(01-25-2012 05:36 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  Balls of steel re-awarded. 
(02-07-2012 03:22 PM)flann Wrote:  Balls of Tungsten, now.

I found a picture for tungsten balls
http://bit.ly/xqd1zk

(02-14-2012 03:17 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Your balls are denser than white dwarf star matter.
(03-13-2012 08:27 PM)M3116 Wrote:  Balls of steel re-re-reawarded Nutter

(05-14-2013 03:01 PM)Prince Darkstar Wrote:  Dirtbikemike is the only guy I know of on here who won an argument with a teacher.
01-30-2012 09:57 PM
PAdude Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Flow

I love "flow." In fact, it is often the state that I am in when I'm at my happiest. Usually happens when I'm playing a sports or game or am very focused on some kind of project that is of personal interest.
11-04-2012 07:24 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

without reading about this or anything, here is all i'm gonna offer to tell you about "flow"...it happens when you are doing something the same way forever and eventually your (i wanna say hyptothalamus [because IT CONTROLS YOU] but i'm pretty sure thats wrong...anyways it's the big ball looking thing at the back of your head that contains practiced movements) and when this happens you just start doing something repeatedly, and often will start to drool without realizing it (although from what i've experienced once that drool hits you you stop doing your practiced movements)

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
11-04-2012 11:42 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Flow

I like flow for when I'm designing the rough draft of something I do creatively. When writing music, or in a physical altercation, flow is absolutely useful. I do believe that flow works best when there is some deliberate practice involved in the madness, though. I believe it works like exercise: if you're benching a hundred and fifty pounds for three sets and ten reps, and that is your limit, it will do deliberate practice for your upper body strength. It will be painful. Eventually, it will become less and less painful, and you'll naturally want to add some more weight. In the meantime, moving larger objects which require upper body strength become a lot more effortless to do.

To put this in musical terms: right now, I'm learning the fundamentals of piano music. When I started out learning the first Bach piece (that I'm still learning), I couldn't play anything in time. I had to slowly, deliberately get the piece going, each note accurate. As I've improved, my sense of timing on the first half of the page has come natural - I can play the first eight bars without really thinking about it - it feels like it just plays itself. It also comes over to when I'm just improvising or composing on the keys (my primary instrument is bass guitar) - my sense of timing is far superior to what it was when I was, and I can get into a deeper flow state which isn't as inhibited.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
11-13-2012 01:07 AM
zagix Offline
Banned

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Flow

Flow happens when you pop/snort adderall like a crazy maniac.

Also when I have the occasional bout of mania.
11-13-2012 01:09 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Flow

Hell yeah! I've had some of my most spiritual, creative experiences (writing and otherwise) on adderall, including the most vivid hallucinations I've ever seen (Satan incarnate knocking at my door threatening to rape my family and a Muslim evil twin of me who would call me a faggot.) Later, when I was on my final amp induced paranoid psychosis trip, a guy named Jesus (who told me he was "just a salesman who happens to have the same name as that numbskull") came as a disembodied voice who calmed the other disembodied voices, often saying "dude, shut up, stop be rude to Ahab, you know you're just doing this because you won't exist once he goes to sleep." After that, he told me to go to take some downers, go to sleep, and never take adderall again.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 02:24 AM by Ahab.)
11-13-2012 02:24 AM
zagix Offline
Banned

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Flow

Don't stay up for 3 days idiot
11-13-2012 02:55 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Flow

I haven't touched that shit since that last ill fated tripadoozle, nor will I ever again. The problem is that about 24 hours up, I would start to hallucinate bad-ass, well orchestrated music, and get inspired to transcribe it. By the time would pass, the disembodied voices would come into effect and go from playing back lyrical ideas to having a "mind of their own." Call me an idiot all you want. I had downers available to plunge my ass to sleep both times, but I elected to not do so until it was time to get the fuck out.

11-13-2012 03:16 AM