RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuck Spanish Class!!!
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Fuck Spanish Class!!!

No matter what I do. No matter how many times I try. I just cannot pass Spanish. I don't care for the Language to begin with. I'd rather learn French or Japanese (cause I'm a anime fan) than sit in Spanish Class with the loud, annoying, Cliche School Socialites, and FAIL. I haven't gotten above a 60 on a Test, and I don't even know how I got that high of a score. I swear to God, my mind is no absorbing, or TOTALLY rejecting learning anything of the Spanish Language. I've asked the teacher for help and other students as well, but nope, nothing seems to be getting to me. The only reason I've haven't just stopped trying in that class and sat down and went to sleep everyday is because I write Notes. And I believe my notes give me some kind of help. But they don't. Without my notebook I'm fucked. I can't read or write much of anything in that class. And NOTE: I'm in Spanish 2. So I passed Spanish 1 (because Notes, Notes, and more Notes) and got into Spanish 2 and honestly find it annoying.

And worst of all. Just because the School System is a bitch, it's a REQUIREMENT to Graduate Ranting . Yes. I live in a city that is fucking poor and don't have the Budget to get other Language teachers so students can have a choice of what class to join.

Spanish 2 Grades

1st Marking Period: 68

2nd Marking Period: 60

3rd Marking Period: Not done yet. But most likely gonna fail....

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
03-25-2011 05:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
Re: Fuck Spanish Class!!!

EnemyOfTheState Wrote:I'd rather learn French or Japanese (cause I'm a anime fan) than sit in Spanish Class with the loud, annoying, Cliche School Socialites, and FAIL.

I hate to be a ball buster here but if you're having trouble learning spanish, what makes you think you'd do any better at French or Japanese? French is much harder to master than spanish and Japanese is on a whole different level from both. You're better off buckling down and learning spanish first before you move on to anything else.
03-25-2011 05:43 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

I'd have to agree with Ayliana, if you want to learn French, get Spanish down first. Master learning it before going on to the next. Just keep at it. French and Spanish both come from Latin so once you know a good deal of Spanish, you will see similarities in French and it will become a good deal easier. You will also get a good understanding of Italian texts. The learning curve will also be easier with Japanese if you have knowledge on how to deal with learning a language.

But I see your frustration, it must be annoying having to learn a language you don't wish to learn. Theres not really much I can do to help by the looks of it, but if you need any help with Spanish I'm here.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
03-25-2011 06:06 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

No way, I disagree, all of those languages are equally easy to learn.

You are ignoring the factor of motivation. If EnemyOfTheState wants to learn french or japanese, he will have a way easier time.

I have a book called Japanese Made Easy. It gives a good start into understanding very simple sentences. It's intended for a person who is going to visit japan.

Here's the amazon page for it, it's super cheap!
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Made-Eas ... 0804812195

For french I use deux mondes 4th edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Mondes-Communicat ... 561&sr=1-1
Most of the book is stupid, but each chapter has a section of blue pages that gives concise explanations of grammar; example sentences; and practice exercises.

There's a similar book for spanish called Dos Mundos (I have the 5th edition.) just in case you change your mind about learning it.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
03-25-2011 06:49 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Yeah... learning a language from a book is one thing, actually speaking it and understanding it when it's spoken to you is another. Just trust me on this.
03-25-2011 06:56 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Oh great wise ayliana please enlighten me.

Rolleyes

I know that reading and writing is a separate skill from listening and speaking. There's nothing wrong with starting with reading and writing. There are online sources where you can listen to the language. For example: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/

And you can also get language books from the teach yourself series, which come with CDs with example conversations on them. You know, so you can hear what the language sounds like.
http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Be ... 592&sr=1-1

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-25-2011 07:04 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:If EnemyOfTheState wants to learn french or japanese, he will have a way easier time.

This is a concerning factor and may well be the case. But he may still have a problem with learning languages in general. It looks as if he has to pass it anyway.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
03-25-2011 07:16 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

'Teach Yourself' Series are usually not all inclusive, meaning they don't teach you the whole of the language. Unless you're willing to shell out the hundreds of dollars for Rosetta Stone software (which I've heard is a huge waste of money) are very simplistic conversations on how to get around a city, order at a resturaunt or report something stolen at the police station. They don't teach you the synonyms, slang, and they certainly don't teach you to speak or listen at the speed of which most native speakers communicate.

Also, I used Deux Mondes for French when I was in school. Excuse me for being less than impressed. I speak some damn good French but it's nothing compared to my Spanish. Why? Because there just aren't that many native French speakers in the US or in the resturaunts where I've worked.
03-25-2011 07:28 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Whatever, ayliana. I guess you just want to crap all over everything instead of encouraging people to do the best they can with what resources they have.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-25-2011 07:32 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Prince Rilian Wrote:Whatever, ayliana. I guess you just want to crap all over everything tell people the truth instead of encouraging people to do the best they can with what resources they have ignore reality and take on a challenge that they're unprepared for and will inevitably fail at; Especially if they can't handle something now that is 10 times easier to master.

Fixed
03-25-2011 07:41 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

It doesn't matter if they fail.
They might like doing it anyway.
You are so full of schooling ideology. What the hell are you even doing on this forum?

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-25-2011 07:55 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Prince Rilian Wrote:It doesn't matter if they fail.
They might like doing it anyway.
You are so full of schooling ideology. What the hell are you even doing on this forum?

LMAO I believe in doing things right the first time so I'm pro school? That's rich.

I'm sorry to burst your sensitive self esteem bubble, but the point of learning anything is to better yourself. You can't do that if you fail and give up every time.

Failure only helps you if you perservere through it. Trying something, failing then giving up to try and fail at the next thing is not learning, it's not progress and it certainly isn't usefull. It's just a waste of time, the intellectual equivalent stopping before you climax in bed. Which is fine, to each his own. But don't act as though you've accomplished anything. All you've done is give yourself mental blue balls.
03-25-2011 09:11 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I fucking hate Spanish too. I'm in spanish 3, and that's because I was able to bullshit my way through spanish 1 and 2. Spanish 3 fucking sucks, you actually have to know shit. Laugh

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
03-25-2011 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crow Offline
Revolutionary

Lol what? Blue balls Biggrin ? Et Ayliana comme tu le disais c'est plus facile d'apprendre un language quand les gens autour de nous parlent ce language couramment... Par exemple quand on veut apprendre le français c'est plus facile si on voyage dans une ville française comme Paris (ou une ville bilingue comme Ottawa, ou on peut toujours parler anglais en même temps.

I'm so sick of all these people but I'm scared to be alone...
03-25-2011 11:33 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Random note: If you want to learn Japanese, search for Rocket Japanese. You can learn a lot of the basics of speaking just by using the free tutorial. I used much of the lessons a few years ago, but couldn't follow through due to school and lack of time. Those online lessons teach you how to actually speak Japanese, not just write it, and its repetition is extremely helpful. If you like the tutorial, you can always buy more lessons.

As for Spanish...you're not going to become fluent in the school system. It doesn't matter what language you take in school (at least in the U.S.), unless your class makes you speak Spanish only in class, you won't pick it up for real. If you hate it that much, just focus on getting the basics of the grammar, kind of like in English class. It's very similar to English, and as much as it sucks, you have to go through the shitty memorization system just to pass.
03-25-2011 12:21 PM
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Ayliana Wrote:
EnemyOfTheState Wrote:I'd rather learn French or Japanese (cause I'm a anime fan) than sit in Spanish Class with the loud, annoying, Cliche School Socialites, and FAIL.

I hate to be a ball buster here but if you're having trouble learning spanish, what makes you think you'd do any better at French or Japanese? French is much harder to master than spanish and Japanese is on a whole different level from both. You're better off buckling down and learning spanish first before you move on to anything else.

I have learned a little of French from my Uncle who works overseas. And I AM ABSOLUTELY SURE I have the motivation to learn Japanese. I have tried to self teach myself a little bit on weekends, but because of Spanish and School in general I haven't had much time to learn it more. Spanish with me is a whole different thing. I just don't like the fact that I'm being forced to learn a learn a Language I don't want to. And if I don't learn it, the School says I can't leave High School. It's just not fair. I feel incline to cheat my way through Spanish, but I'm just not that kind of person. I truly believe I am just setting my self up for failure everytime I try to work hard in that class. and to pass the class for fourth Marking Period, I would need like a 85-90 as my grade. And even I know that's impossible....

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
03-25-2011 06:57 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I'm taking Spanish for Native Spanish Speakers (Spanish is my native language) and sometime I hate it. Too many fucking rules, there isn't a simple rule for accents that is ALWAYS true, and some conjugates of verbs are fucking weird and hard to predict... there are too many of them. Meh.
I wish everything was easier and more consistent.

Also, I think language classes on school rely on too much theory and translation.

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-26-2011 01:45 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Lunatic Wrote:I'm taking Spanish for Native Spanish Speakers (Spanish is my native language) and sometime I hate it. Too many fucking rules, there isn't a simple rule for accents that is ALWAYS true,
Well, no, there are a few rules. But they are simple.

-If a word has an accent mark, it will be on the stressed syllable.
-Question words always have accent marks to distinguish them from the same word used in another way. ¿Qué es eso? vs. Es lo que he comprado.
-A single-syllable word that has sentence-level stress and is spelled the same as another word that doesn't have sentence-level stress has an accent mark. Quiero que Ud me dé un regalo. vs. madre de dios
-A word that ends in a vowel or the consonants N or S and is stressed on any syllable other than the second-to-last has an accent mark. aquí
-A word that ends in any consonant other than N or S and is stressed on any syllable other than the last one has an accent mark. lápiz
-A stressed I or U next to another pronounced vowel needs an accent mark to show that it is not a semi-vowel. hacía
Quote:and some conjugates of verbs are fucking weird and hard to predict... there are too many of them. Meh.
I'm so surprised that you think this. There aren't that many irregular verbs.
Quote:I wish everything was easier and more consistent.

Also, I think language classes on school rely on too much theory and translation.
I love doing translations. But that's just my personal preference.

Also, I find it stupid that you have to take a spanish class when you already speak spanish.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

03-26-2011 03:31 PM
raging Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

don't beat urself up, languages take awhile too learn. if ur still in skool, you're still taking english classes

Our lives are not defined by the jobs we own
03-26-2011 03:45 PM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:Also, I find it stupid that you have to take a spanish class when you already speak spanish.

This. Especially with the AP courses. I have a friend who is a native Spanish speaker who decided to take Spanish to get his language credits out of the way (we only have French as the alternative, and he wanted it to be easy), and he took the AP exam for the class. He got a 4, which is high and passing, but still kind of stupid. How hard are the AP exams that you can't even get a 5 in your own native language? Then again, I've taken AP English exams and did alright, so maybe it could be more grammar than actual speaking.
03-27-2011 08:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Another fucking Spanish project. KFC Nyan Cat 6 4,621 01-01-2014 12:56 PM
Last Post: no
  Spanish class sucks RedBird 34 23,159 01-26-2012 12:41 PM
Last Post: Luizao876
  Fucking Spanish, how does it work? Absnt 20 4,852 02-23-2011 08:21 PM
Last Post: Absnt
  rate my spanish homework యూజర్ పేరు 2 1,830 11-08-2010 08:38 AM
Last Post: యూజర్ పేరు