RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Disadvantages of an Elite Education
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
The Disadvantages of an Elite Education

This is one of the best things I've ever read on the internet.

Many of the things mentioned in this article are a large part of the reason why I couldn't handle school anymore. Indeed TAMS was already, basically an "elite community" totally unconcerned with learning and the majority of the students appeared to be disillusioned with their over-inflated egos.

Such a great article...

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
06-29-2008 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: The Disadvantages of an Elite Education

That was awesome. I liked this quote:

Quote:But, he said—he was a senior at the time—it’s hard to build your soul when everyone around you is trying to sell theirs.

I wanna add it to the articles section, but it has this at the bottom...
Quote:This article is copyrighted by the author. It may not be reproduced without permission of the publisher.
... anyone else find that to not make sense? Razz

It's long anyway so I'll just post a few snippets. Most people won't have the attention span to read the whole thing anyway. Rolleyes

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-29-2008 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whistler Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

That is a very ambiguous copyright claim. It almost always specifies whether exclusive reproduction rights apply to both print and internet or one or the other..
06-29-2008 11:38 AM
kennyBOY Offline
Renegade

Bookmarked. Smile That was a great article!
07-04-2008 08:27 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Wow, what an article! I agree with almost everything the author says...like the way he differentiates between "knowledgeable" and "intellectual." It's all so unfortunately true.

This part really hit home:
Quote:Let’s not even talk about the possibility of kids from privileged backgrounds not going to college at all, or delaying matriculation for several years, because however appropriate such choices might sometimes be, our rigid educational mentality places them outside the universe of possibility—the reason so many kids go sleepwalking off to college with no idea what they’re doing there.
Next year I'll be the kid sleepwalking off to college. Not going to college, as the author points out, is simply unthinkable. Sad, but true.
07-04-2008 07:01 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

dreamer... Wrote:Next year I'll be the kid sleepwalking off to college. Not going to college, as the author points out, is simply unthinkable. Sad, but true.
Nu. I dropped out of Australia's equivalent to college. It's not unthinkable.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
07-04-2008 07:08 PM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

liq3 Wrote:Nu. I dropped out of Australia's equivalent to college. It's not unthinkable.
What do you do for a living? (I assume you have a job.)
07-11-2008 01:50 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

dreamer... Wrote:
liq3 Wrote:Nu. I dropped out of Australia's equivalent to college. It's not unthinkable.
What do you do for a living? (I assume you have a job.)
Atm, nothing. I've got about a month or two to get a job before I lose the internets >:(

Epic win book.
07-11-2008 01:53 PM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

So you're living with parents? You must've gone to college (or whatever it's called) really young!
07-11-2008 01:58 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

dreamer... Wrote:So you're living with parents? You must've gone to college (or whatever it's called) really young!
I'm 17. I was 17 when I went. It was TAFE (lower then undergradute) but it still would have let me skip year 11 and 12 if I had finished it.

Epic win book.
07-11-2008 03:37 PM
undergroundrevolutionary Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

so basically you have no high school diploma or college education i suggest you try to get back in now while you can or have fun flipping burgers for the next 62 years

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life your living? Bob Marley
07-15-2008 10:14 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

undergroundrevolutionary Wrote:so basically you have no high school diploma or college education i suggest you try to get back in now while you can or have fun flipping burgers for the next 62 years
Are you serious? Confused

Epic win book.
07-15-2008 10:50 PM
Pariah

well unless you have some ingenious plan to get rich thats probably what youll end up doing

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life your living? Bob Marley
07-15-2008 10:53 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Noo
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/0 ... in-my-30s/

Epic win book.
07-15-2008 11:13 PM
Pariah

im just saying its a much more reliable option in going to college

07-15-2008 11:14 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

undergroundrevolutionary Wrote:im just saying its a much more reliable option in going to college
Yah, if you want to work for someone else the rest of your life.

Epic win book.
07-15-2008 11:17 PM
Pariah

no go the route of psychology thats what im doing... You can do your best to help people and you choose when you work where you work and who you work with Fu

07-15-2008 11:21 PM
kennyBOY Offline
Renegade

Quote:no go the route of psychology thats what im doing... You can do your best to help people and you choose when you work where you work and who you work with Fu
I like how people believe that going to college will grant them some amazing job where they do whatever they want making loads of money. Buddy, maybe 20 yrs ago that was the case, but in today's society, you're not gonna work when you want doing what you want for a long time. Even if you have loads of college degrees, they just aren't worth so much anymore. Perhaps if you're extremely lucky, have a 9.7 GPA, perfect SAT scores and your parents are filthy rich, then maybe, you can do that.

My dad went to school for 6 yrs and got a Master's degree in Math, Accounting or something and that was 30 yrs ago. When he graduated, he had to work at various unskilled jobs for many years to gain experience. When he finally was given a position calculating employee benefits for GM, he worked 70 hrs a week for 10 yrs. Now he works at home, though he still puts in a lot of hrs, he's got a lot more free time and he makes a good salary. This is just one example.

I've heard this misconception from a lot of college-bound students, that their college degree will allow them to work some high paying job doing whatever they want whenever they want. Reality check bro, I don't think so. You go off and do your thing, and I wish you the best. Get your degree and everything else you'll need, good luck, then come talk to me.

I'm not saying going to college is bad. But next time you start to make judgments about someone and whether or not they're going to college, keep what I wrote in mind.
07-16-2008 01:31 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

This is one of the few things I like about the Czech school system.

Americans in the grade range of 9-12 have only one option: high school. It has variations of course: magnet, private, vocational etc. but all in all, it's still the same thing.

Here, once you graduate 9th grade, you have more freedom. You're free to drop out, but that probably gives you even less job opportunities than an American high school diploma. If you want to continue your schooling, you can pick from a fairly wide range of schools:
  • Gymnázium College-prep. Selective. The scope of material is similar to that taught at American high school-you take everything from history to chemistry. Four years. Finishes with a school-leaving exam called "maturita", which you take only in the subjects you want, and which enables you to apply to college. Actually, you have little choice than to go on to college, because you have a very broad and general education-most employers won't accept you.
  • Učiliště Non-selective. Most of its students will start working immediately after graduation. Usually focuses on some sort of manual labour or craft. Meant for future plumbers, cooks, waiters, builders, wood carvers, electro technicians (the guys you call when your TV breaks), basically any kind of manual labour which requires some training and skills. Upon completion you get a "výuční list" which is enough to do the aforementioned jobs but no college will accept you, they require a "maturita". Two or three years.
  • Střední odborná škola Selective. Focuses on a specific future career. You learn about what you're going to do, most common are those preparing engineerers, teachers, architects, building directors, well anything really. Ends with a "maturita", which enables you to go on to college, but the 4-year training you've received is generally enough to find work in the industry without any further education.[/list:u]

Our school system still sucks, but what's nice is that you can get specialized education before college. Still, all of these schools share a common trait: They're full of bastard authoritarian teachers who're probably abusing their powers. How much you actually learn is also dubious.

But the burger flipping argument is extremely easy to debunk. According to Wikipedia, 33% of the adult workforce in the US has a post-secondary diploma. Therefore, if all without a college degree were flipping burgers, 67% of the American adult workforce would be employed in the fast food industry. We all know that's bull shit.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
07-20-2008 01:12 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That's a pretty cool idea for the Czech school system... except for one thing. What about people who don't know what they want to do for a living that early on? I mean, how easy is it to go back and choose another route if you don't like the one you picked the first time?

Quote:But the burger flipping argument is extremely easy to debunk. According to Wikipedia, 33% of the adult workforce in the US has a post-secondary diploma. Therefore, if all without a college degree were flipping burgers, 67% of the American adult workforce would be employed in the fast food industry. We all know that's bull shit.
Laugh
*adds to quote collection*

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-20-2008 02:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:That's a pretty cool idea for the Czech school system... except for one thing. What about people who don't know what they want to do for a living that early on? I mean, how easy is it to go back and choose another route if you don't like the one you picked the first time?
I'm not sure. I know that my mum completed the "gymnázium" because she wasn't quite sure what she wanted to do, and the gymnázium is supposed to provide a general education, and than she enrolled at a Střední odborná škola with people four years younger than her. She now has two secondary school diplomas.

But I'm not sure how it works in general-I guess that if a 40-year-old wanted to enroll at a regular secondary school he'd run into some issues. I know quite a few people who have two secondary schools, or who've dropped out of one and enrolled at another, but all of those I know began their second secondary school almost immediately after leaving the first (whether through graduation, expulsion, or own choice). Furthermore, most gymnáziums and some of the better Střední odborná škola won't take a student who has been kicked out of a different school.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
07-20-2008 02:56 AM
Will Offline
Fanatic

Given 29 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I haven't finished that article, but I like what I've read of it. It probably doesn't have so much of an impact for me as it does for other people because I've gotten sort of bored of reading stuff like this.
undergroundrevolutionary Wrote:well unless you have some ingenious plan to get rich thats probably what youll end up doing
This sounds like bullshit that a parent would give me. Why do you need a plan? Why do you need to get rich? Why does it have to be right now?
liq3 Wrote:Noo
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/0 ... in-my-30s/
I'd read some of Steve Pavlina's related articles before but not this one. After reading this one, I realized that having no plan and just doing what you want to do is an ingenious plan. Therefore, you do have an ingenious plan to get rich.
07-21-2008 03:16 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I think "taking a trade and becoming rich" is a figment in the imagination of school. People are incredibly diverse, and this range can go anywhere from being a banker to knitting sweaters. I'm not saying that these will give you a job, what I'm saying is that school, or the period of industrialization, has created these barriers. I highly doubt that capitalism is what people naturally strive for.
07-21-2008 03:31 AM