RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love- Does it exsist?
ModestMusic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Love- Does it exsist?

I have heard a bunch of oppinions on this and wonder what all of you have to say about it.
SO, Do yo think love, whether maturnal, paternal, passionate love (although most love tends to be, but I couldn't think of another way to put the love between a couple), or any other kind of love you can come up with, exsists? Or you think that love is just an illusion created by instincts and lust?

"I'm about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct."
The last words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702
03-28-2011 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: Love- Does it exsist?

Love isn't anything "spiritual" or something to do with your "soul"--it's the glue that bonds people together to help keep the species going. It's a reaction of chemicals in the brain.

Maternal love: obvious. Babies are so annoying and smelly that there's got to be some kind of connection there, otherwise the mom would just abandon the kid. This actually happens with animals (and people) even with the maternal instinct.

Paternal love: Most animal fathers eat their babies; it's only because humans are so advanced that fathers can really have love for their children. There are exceptions (seahorses?) but on the most part maternal love is far stronger.

Romantic love: Doesn't last. Ever. Look at a couple who've been married 30 years... maybe they haven't grown to hate each other and they still get along, but it's mostly cause they've learned to ignore their differences. It's only today that we somehow think that passionate consuming lust is supposed to last tfor fucking decades, and thus so many more couples are divorcing.

Two people just can't live together for that long--their "love" lasts only about as long as it's necessary for them to stay together for their kids's sake; again, for the survival of the species. Human children are unusually dependent enough to warrant a few years, but after that? Forget it.

Marriage helps this fall apart even faster because they're cooped up together...see the same person's face long enough, knowing you're stuck with them, and you begin to hate them.

And anyway, romantic love is taken for granted today. In ancient times, for the most part, you married someone you didn't love and had kids and sucked it up. Perhaps you began to love them (not passionately, just liking them as a person) after a few years of being together, even though you didn't get married for love. The opposite of that is what happens nowadays, stuff you hear with celebrities, which is why it falls apart.

TL;DR: Love exists but it's nothing special, doesn't last, and mostly based on lust.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
03-28-2011 12:00 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
Mencken

It exists about as much as justice or equality and no true love is a pipes dream.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-28-2011 12:21 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

If it does it is just so raw of an emotion that humans can't even begin to describe.

That's also why it's probably some epitome of what people strive for, something unexplainable and simply amazing.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
03-28-2011 12:25 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Love is a fundamental, sentimental learned behavior.
We are trained by society to aspire to love. When few know what it actually means, and most only do it to fit in.
It does really fuck us though. It ruins sex, relationships, and a whole bunch of shit.
Love is basically you becoming emotionally, or deeply personally attached to something, exhibiting things like care, and passion.
That's all it truly is, and I don't understand why it's so worshipped in society. It makes people really stupid, and puts intellect at the backdoor.
I don't think it's healthy to truly love something other than yourself, because all you have is you in the end.
Things without the added force of love, will appear as they really are, infinite.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
03-28-2011 12:27 PM
itsurgrlcass Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

"love is a form of chaos that has been socially accepted into modern civilization."

It's just chemicals.
03-28-2011 01:42 PM
ModestMusic Offline
Revolutionary

All valid points! But one thing:
hatemylifeiwanttodie Wrote:Love is a fundamental, sentimental learned behavior.
We are trained by society to aspire to love. When few know what it actually means, and most only do it to fit in.

Why would society pressure people to love? I mean, I understand the pressure now, but where was the reason in it for it to first start?

03-28-2011 01:44 PM
itsurgrlcass Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Power?
'"love" is the greatest force I have ever known. Either love, or Nazi Germany.'

It's just chemicals.
03-28-2011 02:10 PM
ModestMusic Offline
Revolutionary

Why would society start "loving" people who not related to them for purposes other than reproduction?

03-28-2011 02:20 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Love is something most people never really experience in their whole lives. Humans are kind of stupid about it, honestly. For other critters it seems to be easier to understand. But humans... no, they have to try and classify it into different "types" of love, or they have to argue about whether it's spiritual or chemical... and they try to make up all sorts of rules about what's acceptable and what's not... and they try to get people to limit their love, by shoving it into arrangements like marriage and whatnot...

Who cares?
That's all dumb.

Think about it like this:
Look at a puppy or a kitten... (assuming you generally like puppies and kittens, that is)... what is it about a puppy or kitten that makes you want to hug it? I mean, what can you possibly gain from it, apart from a warm fuzzy feeling? Nothing. There is no way that can "advance the species" or get you any kind of logical benefit whatsoever... that is love. Not the chemical shit that makes you horny and want to create more human spawn. Not the built-in chemical stuff that makes a normally sane human mother want to hug and care for a disgusting filthy human wormbaby... (yes, I have been watching Invader Zim lately, in case you're wondering). Not the weird whateverthefuckitis effect that completely overrides a human's braincells and deludes them into believing Person X is the most awesomesauce person ever and that they can't possibly live without them and will die if they can't be with them forever and ever... none of that crap is really love at all.

Real love is quite simple though. So simple that people overlook it in favour of all that other bullshit listed above. Stupid filthy humans always want to over-analyze everything. Well, let them have fun with all their "maternal love" and marriage and 'OMGHEBROKEUPWITHMEIMGONNADIE' nonsense.

If you wanna know what love is, ask your dog.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-28-2011 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Quote:Look at a puppy or a kitten... (assuming you generally like puppies and kittens, that is)... what is it about a puppy or kitten that makes you want to hug it?
Your maternal instinct (also true for guys--paternal) because it's so helpless. Women are hardwired to want to nurture things, and the more helpless they are, the stronger our drive...therefore baby pandas = adorable, baby tasmanian devils = not so much.

What you were describing about a bond with a dog, that's friendship, and there can be a friendship sort of bond thing. That's the kind of love that CAN last, because it's not based on an urge to procreate. (hopefully.) It's more companionship.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
03-29-2011 12:26 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Actually, yes. Why didn't I think of saying that? Friendship = love. Easier to explain than the other puppy stuff I came up with. Razz

Although a lot of people get friendship horribly wrong as well, so that could also confuse them. Meh.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-29-2011 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I have no doubt love exists. Because its how we understand, and how we try not to....

Lay down on some beach for an entire day and just stare at the sky. At the end of the day I triple dog dare you to explain how you don't find an innate and intimate connection to the world. People can try to say the sky is nothing but chemical reaction and newton's playground...

But I truly believe, that as long as there is a sky to look up on. There can be no doubt that by nightfall the stars are our reflection.

And I'm sure that connects to love in some way. *looks both ways*

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
03-30-2011 03:03 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

itsurgrlcass Wrote:Power?
'"love" is the greatest force I have ever known. Either love, or Nazi Germany.'
Holy shit, at last I understand this...

It seems people can't stop reproducing. Even in the most fucked up dictatorships, in the worst possible conditions, they never stop. I most likely, however, would... actually, I don't want any children at all, except maybe adopting.
Lol.

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-30-2011 08:55 AM