RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Meaning of Life
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
The Meaning of Life

Imo meaning of life is simply to experience it. There is no 'greater good' or awesome afterlife (though I do think there an afterlife, it just ain't no heaven or hell). We live, simply to live. What other purpose could we have?

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
07-10-2008 08:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
undergroundrevolutionary Offline
Pariah

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Re: The Meaning of Life

To love? To find someone that just sitting and reading the paper with them takes you to utopia?

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life your living? Bob Marley
07-10-2008 08:58 PM
Specter Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

"After Life" is a concept found by humans due to the contagious phobia and strong fear from death,

You can beat anyone and anything in life but you cant defeat death, (<<<<=====Wow I am soo wise Biggrin)

EDIT: "for love", you mean every human was created to experience the joy of buttsecks, wow =D

Jesus backwards sounds like 'sausage'. =D
07-10-2008 09:05 PM
Pariah

lulz
I like your thoughts on the afterlife idea.

Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life your living? Bob Marley
07-10-2008 09:10 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

~Shadow~ Wrote:"After Life" is a concept found by humans due to the contagious phobia and strong fear from death,

You can beat anyone and anything in life but you cant defeat death, (<<<<=====Wow I am soo wise Biggrin)

EDIT: "for love", you mean every human was created to experience the joy of buttsecks, wow =D
You can defeat death. It's just really hard.

Also, afterlife? Doesn't matter whether I believe there is an afterlife or not, because either way we're all going to the same place when we die.

Epic win book.
07-10-2008 09:15 PM
Pariah

What if the meaning of life is happiness, the universe has put you in your own unique situation and its your job to find your own "happy place"

07-10-2008 09:19 PM
Specter Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:
~Shadow~ Wrote:"After Life" is a concept found by humans due to the contagious phobia and strong fear from death,

You can defeat death. It's just really hard.

Also, afterlife? Doesn't matter whether I believe there is an afterlife or not, because either way we're all going to the same place when we die.

Well there is always the religious and the scientific point of View...........
07-10-2008 09:20 PM
Pariah

might as well cover all the bases

07-10-2008 09:25 PM
Mogul Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The meaning of life: 42. Easy. Razz
07-10-2008 09:34 PM
Pariah

indeed

07-10-2008 09:38 PM
Mogul Offline
Revolutionary

Glad you agree. Razz

On a serious note... Because merely trying to understand life's meaning is so difficult, life did not have a specific goal when it first developed. It was most likely a product (better said side-effect) of evolution ( the fusion of organic chemicals that gave life to bacteria).

Since the extinction of life would be a terrible waste, its foremost goal is to preserve its self. Life could be something produced unintentionally that wants to preserve itself, with no specific goal.
07-10-2008 10:41 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

BasTy^^ Wrote:Glad you agree. Razz

On a serious note... Because merely trying to understand life's meaning is so difficult, life did not have a specific goal when it first developed. It was most likely a product (better said side-effect) of evolution ( the fusion of organic chemicals that gave life to bacteria).

Since the extinction of life would be a terrible waste, its foremost goal is to preserve its self. Life could be something produced unintentionally that wants to preserve itself, with no specific goal.
OH MY GOD. Dude...You just made me realise... Well, the obvious thing to your question is "But what started the universe?". Going by some logic...God would be the most likely answer. No wonder so many people are religious.

Thing is, I like the idea of Zen. "Living in the moment", because really, as far as I am concerned, nothing else exists*.

Now, you are saying that life is a side-effect of evolution. Well what's the purpose of evolution? What is the purpose of the universe? What is the purpose of existence?

Sorry, but the idea that life has no meaning, is really really flawed.

* I actually believe a rather great deal exists.

Epic win book.
07-10-2008 10:55 PM
Pariah

So the meaning of life is life itself
deep

07-10-2008 11:01 PM
Mogul Offline
Revolutionary

Don't ask me questions like those, there's no way I can give you the right answer since I haven't been born in the beginning to know that. :/ But I gotta admit that I wrongly used 'evolution'.
And you said yourself that life's meaning is to actually live. But nothing lives forever, so new life must be created so life itself can have a meaning - in other words, breeding.

But I think I misunderstood since "life's meaning" is a vague exppresion. What exactly do you understand by that?
07-11-2008 01:16 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

I mean what is the purpose of life? Maybe some greater being was bored and wanted to play a game with us...But why does he exist? etc etc.

Breeding doesn't work...We breed to breed to breed (ad infinitum)?

[Image: CircularReasoning.gif]

Epic win book.
07-11-2008 01:25 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

You breed to give your life meaning... then your offspring breeds to give their life meaning... wait, that's a neverending cycle that doesn't really get anywhere. There has to be more to it... especially if one of your offspring a few generations down the line doesn't breed... then the whole thing was pointless... unless there's more to it. Razz

Quote:Imo meaning of life is simply to experience it. There is no 'greater good' or awesome afterlife
There might be an afterlife, but if your entire existence on earth revolves around what kind of afterlife you want... well, I don't think that'd be a very good use of your time Razz
Also, a 'greater good' doesn't necessarily have to be related to an afterlife or some kind of reward... it could be something as simple as trying to make other people's lives better... or even just one person's life.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-11-2008 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mogul Offline
Revolutionary

liq3 Wrote:I mean what is the purpose of life?

Now you're talking. Razz

Breeding is our goal from a biological point of view. It goes on until (if) life goes extinct. Uhoh

Otherwise... I think each and every creature is responsible of assigning itself a goal, but probably the most basic purpose is satisfying ones needs, desires, exerience happy emotions. That kinda stuff. At least for animals capable of free-thinking. Dunno what an ant would have to say abot it. :/
07-11-2008 05:08 AM
chibichibibear Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Here's my theory(which I already posted in the Love thread...but it fits here even better!)

The meaning of life is love.
Just the idea of finding someone who makes you so happy that nothing else really matters seems like it would make all the bad stuff you go through insignificant, maybe even worth it to be with that person!! Going through that strife, just knowing you'll find someone who cares about you, and it makes them happy to simply be around you seems like it would fill my life with meaning.

That may be a little naive of an opinion, seeing as I never have been in love, but it makes sense now! ^.^

Although I have to say, being alive to be alive sounds like as good a purpose as any others. If I wasn't so set on this love thing, that'd be mine.

Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician and writer.

My posts are usually lengthy, and I can't help it much... Sorry.
07-11-2008 01:56 PM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

But why does life need a purpose? And I think we should refer to it as The Meaning of Human Life, at least that's what I get from most of the posts. Unless we are trying to attach a purpose to all life, but we have to be careful because ants don't find love, just to give an example. Life doesn't necessarily have to have a purpose unless you set goals or plans or do something, probably to an end.

*Insert awesome signature here*
Goingcrazy
"You can fight with only 2 things, your wits and your weapons."-Zach Eckard
Soldier1-"Remember the Alamo!"
Soldier2-"Didn't everyone die at the Alamo?"
Soldier1-"Don't remember that part!"
07-11-2008 04:43 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Well yeah, you don't need a purpose really. And if you don't want one, then don't have one. No problem. It's just that a lot of people want one, but don't know what it is or what it should be... so they ask questions like this. Smile

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
07-12-2008 03:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Somebody want to know the meaning of life? go meditate for 5o years... another grate thing about our grate "intelligence" is that we r not satisfied with the present. Love u say? maybe, still doesn't work for me I think that being close to another person is nice (even grate ) still it seems that it is a pleasure like when u eat, or dunno like biological stuff nothing deeper and it is ok like that but it is no better meaning of life than eating chocolate.

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
07-15-2008 09:57 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

When it comes to anything not pertaining to survival, life has no purpose unless you make one, and usually the purposes people come up with are variations on a theme. The fact we are able to see the universe and obtain knowledge from a rather arbitrary yet beautiful existence should suffice for me. For others, they can hopelessly turn to the ideas of englightenment and other bullshit, and that's fine, because it's all escapism at the end of the day.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
08-06-2008 06:23 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Ahab Wrote:When it comes to anything not pertaining to survival, life has no purpose unless you make one, and usually the purposes people come up with are variations on a theme. The fact we are able to see the universe and obtain knowledge from a rather arbitrary yet beautiful existence should suffice for me. For others, they can hopelessly turn to the ideas of englightenment and other bullshit, and that's fine, because it's all escapism at the end of the day.
No, because without a purpose people will suicide. People need something tying them to be alive, and fuck if reproducing does that.

(lol i made a pun)

Epic win book.
08-06-2008 06:36 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Quote:No, because without a purpose people will suicide.
"A particle will stay at rest or continue at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external unbalanced force."
To commit suacide one need some reason, otherwise he will live his simple life.
Quote: fuck if reproducing does that.
Fuck it is than. But when it comes to me, eating or doing nothing works fine as well.

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
08-06-2008 07:10 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

I think that the meaning of life varies from person to person. We all have our different ideas on what to do with our lives.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-06-2008 07:23 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

our idea of life is what we create in our head through chemical processes,experences,etc. your life dosent mean anything, and my sleep time> your life.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
08-08-2008 09:35 PM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

The only good signature is a dead signature.
08-08-2008 10:25 PM
StanleyChubbs Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Unless you have some kind of faith, I really don't think there is meaning to life. If you don't believe in a god, then tough luck, everything is meaningless and will rot away. I think that's a preposterous way to look at life and believe in a greater being that gives me purpose. Meh, like or not, that's the only way you have a purpose.
08-09-2008 11:57 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

StanleyChubbs Wrote:Unless you have some kind of faith, I really don't think there is meaning to life. If you don't believe in a god, then tough luck, everything is meaningless and will rot away. I think that's a preposterous way to look at life and believe in a greater being that gives me purpose. Meh, like or not, that's the only way you have a purpose.
Would you agree the meaning of life is to simply experience it?

Epic win book.
08-09-2008 12:30 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I have a purpose, but it has nothing to do with my beliefs regarding higher beings and afterlives. If I changed my mind about any of those things, it wouldn't affect my purpose. At least, not much.

Quote:Would you agree the meaning of life is to simply experience it?
That's a pretty good purpose to have. To experience the most that life has to offer... or to whatever extent you want to.

So what if your body rots eventually? Does that mean you shouldn't use it while you still can? Cuckoo
That's like not eating food because you know you'll just poop it out again later.

Hidden stuff:
08-10-2008 01:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Meaning of Life. V.3 Absnt 11 4,913 05-31-2012 09:42 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  Finding meaning. V.2 Absnt 12 3,744 04-17-2012 08:46 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Lets pursue a life of meaning! SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT 2 2,070 03-24-2011 11:02 AM
Last Post: Miller0700
  meaning of Life itsurgrlcass 42 6,932 10-11-2010 11:34 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  Man's Search for Meaning Desu 5 3,125 05-14-2009 12:06 AM
Last Post: Desu