RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is Evil?
Shadow Smurf Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
What Is Evil?

What is evil ? Where does Evil Come from?

Maybe I'm a Lion.
07-21-2008 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shadow Smurf Offline
Defiant

Re: What Is Evil?

I mean, these questions leave me baffled. Can anyone shed some light on the answer for me?

Maybe I'm a Lion.
07-21-2008 03:50 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Because I'm a christian, I believe that evil is not following God and evil also comes from God because he gave us free will to do evil. But this isn't the kind of thing you were looking for, was it?
07-21-2008 05:31 PM
Shadow Smurf Offline
Defiant

Well, I too, am a Christian!
It was a question that got asked in The Truth Project.
http://www.thetruthproject.org/

I was just seeing if anyone could help me understand it more...

Maybe I'm a Lion.
07-21-2008 05:35 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Evil is subjective. There is no such thing as a universal evil. Take a war for example. Maybe between two tribes. Tribe A might have attacked tribe B because they thought tribe B was stealing their food, so B thinks A is evil. A thinks B is evil because B is attacking them...

I like this definition of evil.
Quote:morally objectionable behavior

And morals differ from person to person.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
07-21-2008 07:30 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

If you're a christian morals are not subjective, but come from God, and are universal.
07-21-2008 08:34 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Casualty of Society Wrote:If you're a christian morals are not subjective, but come from God, and are universal.
That, is one of the most amazing sentences I have ever read...wow. Not only does it contradict itself, there are at least two other things wrong with it...Just wow. o.o

Epic win book.
07-21-2008 08:41 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

I didn't think that through very well. I meant that if you are a christian you BELIEVE that morals are universal, but people can still go against morals. Because of our underlying assumptions of the world, this argument is pointless unless you can prove that subjective reality is true and god is not (please don't try, this has happened many times over the years on this forum, go dig up some of my posts in them).
07-21-2008 08:50 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Casualty of Society Wrote:I didn't think that through very well. I meant that if you are a christian you BELIEVE that morals are universal, but people can still go against morals. Because of our underlying assumptions of the world, this argument is pointless unless you can prove that subjective reality is true and god is not (please don't try, this has happened many times over the years on this forum, go dig up some of my posts in them).
Oh. Subjectivity (what I was refering to in this thread) and subjective reality, are not the same thing. SR is based off subjectivity, but they aren't the same.

I was basically saying morals are opinionated, which they are.

Epic win book.
07-21-2008 09:00 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that our underlying assumptions about the world are different and so therefore we cannot win an argument against each other. IMO morals aren't subjective, but come from God, and people break these morals and sometime substitute their own, creating their own idea of what evil is, but evil is still going against God and they are wrong because their morals come from themselves and not God.

I'm off for tonight, if you reply don't expect me to reply for about 10-12 hours.
07-21-2008 09:03 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Just because different people have different morals does not mean that all their various morals are "right". They're just "right" to that person (and possibly not even so, they might not know WTF they're doing).

There may very well be universal morality, but that doesn't mean you'll automatically know about it. So, in that case, evil is whatever goes against the universal morality, which nobody on the planet is 100% sure about. But, each person is equipped with a conscience and a brain, so they can use those to try to figure out what is "good" in most cases (assuming they haven't been totally corrupted by the people around them, which seems to happen a lot).

Basically, my point is: you can do evil things without knowing they're evil, so evil does not depend on your particular definition of evil (if you even have one).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-22-2008 05:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

In regards to your first question, I am not sure. The problems I see with universal Christian morality is (1) the justification of the rules outlined in the Bible are typically "because God said so" and we quickly run into circular reasoning and (2) the unapplicability of Christian morality. The most obvious example are the 10 commandments and just picking one "Don't lie." well, there's a lot of situations where lying is a good thing from a pragmatist's point of view. Although, arguably, it would be more virtuous to stand up always for your ideologies rather than give than up even though others will suffer because of it. Many would argue that suffering (mental and physical) is of no consequence when discussing ethics.

To your second question, I think it was Socrates that said, "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." Similarly, I believe it was Plato that said, "Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil." Keep in mind that these were Greek philosophers who were mostly concerned with the age old pursuits of truth...knowledge...happiness...the good life etc. At the core was Plato's philosophy of universals. Cutting to the chase here, I'll just say that Plato believed that the cultivation of knowledge brought one closer to "perfection", "the ultimate good", "the true nature of reality" because he alikened the whole of existence as a shadow of a world that was entirely perfect in every respect. One could even interpret this world as "God".

Something to chew on!

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
07-22-2008 07:48 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
That ties into what I said, too. Seeking knowledge will most likely lead you to come to some conclusions about what's right and what's wrong... so, in that sense, ignorance is indeed evil, because you can more easily be doing evil things without realizing it, because you're not even trying to find out what the right thing to do is.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
07-22-2008 08:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Hitler thought he was doing a good thing by purging the world of impure blood.

Stupid or evil?

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
07-22-2008 08:10 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Stupid? Not really.
Ignorant? Yes... and evil... I'd have to say yes for that too, even if he didn't realize it himself at the time.

Hidden stuff:
07-22-2008 10:26 AM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I think evil is an action or intention that willfully hurts others-directly or indirectly, physically or emotionally.

Kicking someone for no good reason is evil-it physically hurts.

Wanting to kick someone for no good reason is evil-it has the intention to physically hurt.

Stealing money from someone is evil-it emotionally hurts someone who's worked to earn the money.

Envy, wishing that a person didn't have something they do have, is evil-it has the intention to hurt someone.

Choosing a career your parents disapprove of is not evil-though you may be emotionally hurting your parents, you're not doing it intentionally to hurt them.

Being in a homosexual relationship is not evil-it's not hurting anyone.
07-22-2008 03:30 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

dreamer... Wrote:I think evil is an action or intention that willfully hurts others-directly or indirectly, physically or emotionally.

Kicking someone for no good reason is evil-it physically hurts.

Wanting to kick someone for no good reason is evil-it has the intention to physically hurt.

Stealing money from someone is evil-it emotionally hurts someone who's worked to earn the money.

Envy, wishing that a person didn't have something they do have, is evil-it has the intention to hurt someone.

Choosing a career your parents disapprove of is not evil-though you may be emotionally hurting your parents, you're not doing it intentionally to hurt them.

Being in a homosexual relationship is not evil-it's not hurting anyone.
Besides the fact that all of those examples except the second last, I agree with the general point you have...somewhat.

Epic win book.
07-22-2008 03:37 PM
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Why do you disagree with that example, liq3?

(999 posts, nice)
07-22-2008 03:40 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

dreamer... Wrote:Why do you disagree with that example, liq3?

(999 posts, nice)
Oh oops, it was all of them EXCEPT that one I disagree with...>.>

dreamer... Wrote:Kicking someone for no good reason is evil-it physically hurts.
Some people are so tough it really wouldn't hurt them...eg. A 3 year old kicking a body builder. There's also play fighting.

Quote:Wanting to kick someone for no good reason is evil-it has the intention to physically hurt.
Some people might show affection through mild violence (I know, it's Cuckoo )
Quote:Stealing money from someone is evil-it emotionally hurts someone who's worked to earn the money.
I don't think Bill gates will care too much if someone steals $1,000 off him o.O. Also, what if they steal fake money? That might actually help you Razz

Quote:Envy, wishing that a person didn't have something they do have, is evil-it has the intention to hurt someone.
What if they don't want it either? >.>

Quote:Choosing a career your parents disapprove of is not evil-though you may be emotionally hurting your parents, you're not doing it intentionally to hurt them.
I agree.

Quote:Being in a homosexual relationship is not evil-it's not hurting anyone.
Actually, I now agree with this too. YOU aren't hurting anyone, but people might be hurting THEMSELVES because of your choice.

(P.S. Lol, the last time I had checked my post count was like 450 >.>)

Epic win book.
07-22-2008 03:57 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

1. I think dreamer meant that if you kick them with the intention of hurting them
2. See question 1
3. I agree here, but who decides when it's ok and when it's not?
4. Then it doesn't count.
5. I agree with this one
6. True
07-22-2008 05:41 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I don't think thinking about doing bad things to people is evil... it may help you get your frustrations out, which may prevent you from actually doing something evil... so in a sense it could even be considered 'good'... sort of. But getting obsessed with revenge is definitely not good for your own mental health, so I wouldn't recommend it long term Razz

Hidden stuff:
07-23-2008 03:00 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Evil? "Evil" (bad) is an opposite of "good", thats all, empty word, you just do things an people categorize it as right/good.
Quote:Kicking someone for no good reason is evil-it physically hurts.
What is good reason?
Quote:Wanting to kick someone for no good reason is evil-it has the intention to physically hurt.
I am 16 and in my mind I do things comparable to hitlers so I guess I'll burn in hell. I kill, rape, torture. Sometimes I am even curious wheter I am sick or what...
It may sound trivial but there is no good and evil. All those times we try to lock reality in words... there is no way to put life in words.

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
07-23-2008 10:48 AM
Shadow Smurf Offline
Defiant

I agree. There is technically, no "Good" reason to kick someone. Even if they kicked you first or did something evil towards you. The bible speaks against that.

And thanks all, for your insightful views on what evil might be. It's given me something to think about!

Maybe I'm a Lion.
07-24-2008 03:45 PM
VampyrMagick Offline
Rebel

humans are the defination of evil, war is evil , humans are the only creatures that chain each other up, torture each other with red hot things, or purposly cause harm for no good reason, every other animal just kills or harms because they are hungry and need food, or they both want the same woman, but then it is usually a fair fight one on one
humans dont fight like that they like to out number who ever they are gunna fight by as much as they can, they purposly steal, hurt, kill, torture, abuse etc each other and we destroy the planet..thats no feat any other specie can boast about....no that you would wanna boast bout it....
10-22-2008 09:39 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Casualty of Society Wrote:I didn't think that through very well. I meant that if you are a christian you BELIEVE that morals are universal
Morals are human made, and thus subjective.
Personally, I think evil is when people aren't respective of human life. That to me is kind of the epitome of evil.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-22-2008 10:03 AM
Wingless Offline
el presidente

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

To me, evil and good is varied between cultures and religions, and it's almost impossible to give a true definition of what exactly is "evil" or "good". However, there are some general things that might be agreed on worldwide as "evil" including the following:

Cold blooded murder/violence (against a race or without a reason, or a very illogical reason such as "I was bored" or "it makes me happy"). I personally believe revenge to an extent is okay, especially if the person in question is truly doing something wrong themselves, and needs to be stopped. Would we have allow Hitler to live? I think not. To Christians who might disagree, I give the quote from the famous military leader General George Patton: "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I wont". Why not kill these bastards who are classified "evil" sooner, and let God have his revenge quicker? To me that would be doing a favor for Him.

Stealing from others, obviously, but should stealing something as small as a pencil count? I don't think anyone really deserves an eternity in hell for stealing something like a pencil...but to an extent it still is wrong, at least give the pencil back.

In the sexual department...its hard to classify what should be "evil" or not, other than rape and pedophilia. However, what if the teen in question actually wants an older person? Should that be considered evil?
Homosexuality shouldn't be classified as evil in my opinion, they aren't doing anything to harm anyone else intentionally. Just because they aren't following nature's path, doesn't mean they can't do good.

Feel free to contradict, I love learning more about what other people think, and I think hearing more than one side of something is the best way to gain knowledge.

[Image: sigtest1-1.jpg]

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime," freedom and liberty have become words without meanings." - Deus Ex
09-19-2009 12:57 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Re: What be Evil?

On a slightly related note, why does everyone bump old threads in this forum?

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
09-19-2009 07:18 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

The Desert Fox Wrote:On a slightly related note, why does everyone bump old threads in this forum?

Argh, don't you be harsh on the newbies, ya pegleg.
09-20-2009 12:54 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Just wondering. Also, does it turn "o l d f a g" into "pegleg"?

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
09-20-2009 08:56 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Shadow Smurf Wrote:What is evil ? Where does Evil Come from?

People

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
09-22-2009 02:25 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath