RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple ways to defy school?
Alway Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Simple ways to defy school?

As very few of you know, I'm working on a new anti-school site...

I need to compile a list of simple, easier ways to defy your school. Nothing big like protests or anything, but simple, easy things that many students would be willing to do.

I can't really think of much, so that's why I'm here.

Thanks in advance.

07-30-2008 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: Simple ways to defy school?

There are a whole bunch of things on this page, if you scroll down to "General resistance ideas".

A cool thing to do in class is to bring something educational to read. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-30-2008 01:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Every time a teacher says something most kids would know from year 3 up, ask what it means. Eventually she'll get extremely pissed and ask you why your so dumb. Reply with 'Your educational system is unfit to lick my boot, I see no reason it should have anything worthwhile to teach me, so I refuse to be taught by it.'

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
07-30-2008 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

A cool way to defy school as Soul pointed out is to work on more advanced material than what you're covering in class. If I went back to school this is what I would do.

In Spanish class, learn Arabic or Russian.

In Algebra I, learn trigonometry or even higher if you dare.

In English class, read some heavy Russian literature like The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky or War and Peace by Tolstoy. Write an essay over it concerning what you thought about the novel and what you learned from it. Or you could pick up an intro to philosophy textbook and read that.

In computer anything related class, learn a programming language.

Etc... You get the idea. This is of course the hardest way to defy school, but one of the best that will absolutely embarrass your teachers and administration and leave them wondering what they should do about that kid that won't stop learning.

Oh and, you better go all or nothing if you're going to do this. If you half-ass it, it won't be effective at all and you'll get laughed at.

Study hard and don't do any of your homework. This is a nice "Fuck you." to the education system. I almost wish I was back in high school just so I could do this.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
07-31-2008 01:38 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

@Strat: Dude...I think that's genius o.O. Lol, I could imagine an English teacher giving him an A because the teacher couldn't understand the book. It'd be even funnier if the math teacher didn't understand the work you were doing.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
07-31-2008 01:57 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That is so going on the Survival Kit page. Mwahaha

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-31-2008 02:57 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

One more thing: Bring earplugs to class and sit in the back. If your teacher starts being a dick, say that you're busy. They will most likely send you to the principal and you'll probably get put in ISS (in school suspension) for a day. When you return to class...do it again, and again, and again.

I've never heard of this happening, so it would be interesting to see what happens.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
07-31-2008 03:56 AM
Alway Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

These are some great ideas guys.

07-31-2008 10:57 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Alway Wrote:These are some great ideas guys.

I agree. Really, guys, this is good. No more "I HAD A TEACHER IN SKOOL AND REALY HATED HER Fu Fu Fu
07-31-2008 11:04 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Extending on the learn advanced material thing. Learn the advanced material. On a different subject. Pisses them off with ease.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
07-31-2008 04:31 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Another idea:

Hand out flyers at school that list scary facts and statistics about public education. Many people have the illusion that schools are perfect in the US and that we have the best education system.

(Make sure the flyer is benign and that you won't put retarded stuff on it like I WAN BURN DOWN MAH SKOOL YALL)

Finland children go to school from 7-16 and they outperform us in everything. The education system in the US is monopolized and crappy schools remain crappy because they aren't subject to free market forces. Some European countries spend half of what we do and they do better than us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_ ... Assessment

Have some inspiring one-liners, or something that makes you think. "School or Education? Which one are you receiving?" Stuff like that.

It's legal to hand these out during lunch and passing periods. It's illegal to hand these out during class time. If a teacher wants to be a dick about it, tell them to educate themselves on the laws a little bit before deciding to be a Nazi.

08-01-2008 03:13 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_ ... 006_survey

LOL, unless I'm semi-blind, America didn't even make it into the top 20. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Rofl Rofl

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
08-01-2008 03:30 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

You're correct, the US didn't. For a long time I thought I was just overlooking "United States" but I wasn't.

America...YOU FAIL IT.

08-01-2008 03:35 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

how did the uk manage to come 14th and 17th? we shouldn't have done.... Confused Scratchchin Noo Wtf Cuckoo

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
08-01-2008 04:48 AM
ChickenLeg Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Stratovarius Wrote:Stuff

Oh shit. This would've been very useful to me a few months ago. In a month, probably semi-useful. The English idea reminded me of my summer reading. I've decided to read other things instead of the three I'm forced to do.

[Image: b24db005eGyMw.png]
08-02-2008 05:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Answer this simple question assaultmedic 16 3,666 12-28-2008 07:29 PM
Last Post: liq3