RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you feel about actually doing things?
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
How do you feel about actually doing things?

Yeah, stupid me. I can't make short thread titles.

So, you're sitting in a chair (most likely). You're on a computer. Barring any immediate emergencies, everything seems well...

But do you ever think "I should really do something", that just sitting around is too pointless?

Work ethic is a term that's been much overused and much abused, but there are times where I think that I'm being way too much of a sloth and slap myself and tell myself to stop, well, lazing around like a sloth.
08-03-2008 05:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Re: How do you feel about actually doing things?

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:But do you ever think "I should really do something", that just sitting around is too pointless?
Oh yes. Right now, for instance. I should be working on the "goal" thing I said I would and doing the huge project assigned in my summer class and typing up some stuff I was supposed to type up yesterday...But no, I'm posting here instead. Oh yes, I'm lazy.

School sucked away all my work ethic, even when it comes to non-school-related tasks. Now I laze around not achieving the things I want to achieve. It doesn't bother me too much until I run out of free time- then I look back and kick myself for being such a lazybutt.
08-03-2008 05:47 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

To answer your question. I'd have to say when the industrial revolution happened in Western society, the population at large began to value production over everything else. This includes tertiary "things" which aren't directly related to production but nonetheless benefit it. A liberal arts major in college isn't going to be making as much money as a mechanical engineer. Remember those old Greek virtues about living a contemplative life and pursuing truth and all that feel good stuff...of course not, because nobody cares about those things. It won't help you produce things for the economy.

Every individual has to strike a balance between the inner and outer life. The former is most important, but the least valued because you can't measure your progress with it in any tangible way.

You will hear nothing about the inner life in school.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
08-03-2008 07:37 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Um...I'm a capricorn. So if I'm not doing something productive, I start to feel useless and get really depressed. Plus I thrive on adrenaline. If I'm not doing anything, I don't have the adrenaline. Which also contributes to depression and feelings of low self-worth.

I like to chill and relax. Provided that I'm doing something (usually in theatre) some days of the week, I enjoy my time off a hundred times more. Because I'm grateful for just being able to sit on the couch for a few hours doing nothing in particular.

Yeah, doing something wins.

Let's do the time warp again!
08-04-2008 04:34 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

nope, i can quite happily sit in front of this computer screen, even if no-one is posting- for a whole day. i am a very lazy git at most times, it took me a month to clean my room.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
08-04-2008 04:40 AM
Fanatic

I kind of stopped reading after "I'm a capricorn"...
08-04-2008 06:10 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

wow im glad someone finally posted something like this. truthfully, aside from the fact that my parents always complain about me always being on the computer all the time, i guess i feel the same way. i love posting here for instance, but i always have a feeling of wasting my time, and thats with barely posting here anyway. even taking the time to write this post makes me feel like there are thousands of other more important things to be doing. if fact i've been writing this post for quite a while because i was having an AIM conversation at the same time, and though it was certainly entertaining, if it had never happened i dont think i would be impaired in any way. aside from the fact that sitting in one place is unbearable for me due to the fact that the only way i find to ease my pain is to be physically active and stretching (im actually talking about my physical pain, but i suppose it helps with my emotional pain a bit too), i also feel like im actually doing something, because i would be doing karate, gymnastics, or contortion, all three of which i need to improve on and get better at alot. and i need to build muscle, so getting up and doing something would actually be quite productive for me, which is why right after im done with this post, im going to try to make myself get up and do something useful with my time.

ok i can probably take up 3 pages with this topic, but i wont at the moment, i may elaborate later though...

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
08-04-2008 06:11 AM
Fanatic

How do you feel about elaborating on things?
08-04-2008 06:15 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:I kind of stopped reading after "I'm a capricorn"...

Glad to know I bore you.

08-04-2008 11:17 AM
Fanatic

You don't, and I was joking.
08-04-2008 11:19 AM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

I o lots of stuff, mostly hang with friends, and fool around at the mall/ woods. Direct Action which I hope counts is also something I like doing.

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
08-04-2008 01:41 PM
Fanatic

Happy Camper: What I meant was that I stopped reading after "I'm a Capricorn" because it now deals with astrology. That was what I meant, not that it was a boring post. I think astrology is a bit silly, but I wasn't insulting it either, just saying that was the sort of half joking insinuation.
08-05-2008 02:48 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I thought about doing things....

...But then I decided not to.

Doings things is overrated anyway. Biggrin
08-05-2008 03:10 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Cosbydaf Wrote:I thought about doing things....

...But then I decided not to.

Doings things is overrated anyway. Biggrin
This.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
08-05-2008 11:49 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Well, most of the important things I can do, I do while sitting in front of a computer. But I do get the feeling of wasting my time while I'm playing games instead of working on my sites or emailing people or whatever else I'm supposed to do.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-06-2008 05:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

And now for a long post that might deserve it's own thread...

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:But do you ever think "I should really do something", that just sitting around is too pointless?
Fuck no. I don't like the small amount of progress I make in programming, but I never feel guilty for playing games instead. I feel a tiny bit guilty sometimes for making so little progress in programming, but I'm making huge progress in other areas, so I live.

Also, I am programming while I play games Wink. You see, lets say your programming (or any other myriad of things) and you get stuck. Now, you could sit there trying to figure it out. Sure that works. Or, you could do something completely unrelated. Now, doing the completely unrelated thing is actually useful. It lets your subconscious focus on it, and figure it out, without you interfering. It's why when I play a new game for a few hours, then stop. The next day my skill has basically doubled. My mind was working on making me better all night while I slept. Refining my ability.

I really think school or society has basically said "Doing nothing is bad, you should be ashamed". They are completely wrong. Doing nothing is healthy (yes, boredom is good for you) and you'd probably go insane if you couldn't stop for a while every now and again.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
08-06-2008 06:29 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

liq3 Wrote:Doing nothing is healthy (yes, boredom is good for you) and you'd probably go insane if you couldn't stop for a while every now and again.

Cabin fever. This is all I have to say.

Doing nothing in moderation is healthy. But I'm not sure many people could live in front of a computer screen doing "nothing".

But then again...define "doing something".

08-06-2008 03:16 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Better idea. I'll define 'nothing'.

Nothing, at least on the modern world, would be contemplating. Sitting down, doing NOTHING but thinking. Pretty much sitting completely still, absorbed in deep thought. Not working towards any of your goals. Doing nothing, to simply do nothing. Your hands should be still...

Doing something...I'll define this too...basically anything that involves physical movement. Typing, writing down ideas. Playing sport. Eating an orange. Daydreaming. Listening to music. Just to name a few.

So, maybe nothing is "spending some time with no aim". Don't aim for anything. Including "not aiming for something". No one can do that anymore (ok maybe not NO one...but 99.99% can't).

Man this is hard to describe, because I can't do it Razz. I'm currently trying to learn how...I might try soon.

I guess what I'm getting at, is forgetting all your worries, all pressure, all desire. In this world, that is the hardest thing to do.

Epic win book.
08-06-2008 03:55 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Working on that definition, we seem to have strayed from the original topic then. We should talk about how we feel doing nothing rather than we feel about doing things.

I was working kind of on the standard of getting out of the house. Thus the cabin fever reference.

But like many things in life, it's about finding balance. I tend to err on the side of overworking myself. I'm trying to train myself to do differently without overcompensating and getting nothing done.

But on to nothing...a truly passive state of being. I'm not sure this is possible by anyones standards on here. Even in my set periods of time of meditation and "chill time", I'm usually letting thoughts drift in and out of my head. Or that time in the morning when I wake up but lay in bed for hours between sleep and being completely awake, letting my mind just wander to wherever it wants to. These are all the more meaningful in contrast to those days when you have to rush rush rush.

08-06-2008 04:33 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Happy Camper Wrote:Or that time in the morning when I wake up but lay in bed for hours between sleep and being completely awake, letting my mind just wander to wherever it wants to. These are all the more meaningful in contrast to those days when you have to rush rush rush.
Yah that's what I mean.

I was more getting at the fact that people are stuck in a "do do do" mindset, and never slow down. Back when we we're still hunting, you'd get people kneeling in the one spot for hours, watching the deer, just waiting for the right time to attack.

Epic win book.
08-06-2008 05:04 PM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I actually think it has to do more with your mentality and how you piercieve the act of doing nothing.

Your brain's core beliefs are what you live with and act on, which affect your influences and end by engaging your emotions, which is your brain.

Its like a three way coversation between your brain, the world ,and your emotions.

Truth is everything you do! starts and ends with your brain. Thats why its healthy to read other ideas, opinions, and better ways of seeing life. So to serve the purpose of increasing the quality of your thoughts.

Thinking is what gives meaning to Life.

As for doing nothing. Its the same as the question "does a plant grow when your not watering it".

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
08-06-2008 10:29 PM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Did you ever think that you are actually doing too much? People produce more food they can eat, more good than they need, they work on unnessesery things and so on.
Quote:The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world. Through this I know the advantage of taking no action.
Personally, I love to lay on the grass stare at sky, maybe doze off a bit or read a book but recently I've stoped doing this... not good.
Quote:But do you ever think "I should really do something", that just sitting around is too pointless?
a) do what? b) name one not pointless action.
Be happy and try not to do eveil instead of doing good, that will be enough.

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
08-07-2008 07:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Be happy and try not to do eveil instead of doing good, that will be enough.
That will already be a massive improvement for most people on the planet. Smile

But I wanna do more, so... I will. But I just do whatever's on my mind at the moment (usually), which usually results in me getting the most important stuff done anyway, so I don't need to force anything.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-08-2008 02:53 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Yeah, cool if you can. My point is how do you know you are actually doing something "good"? We never know wheter we did't make it worse/ made some disaster. Through not doing things you can be sure you didn't make harm to somebody. I can reamember many actions that were suppose to help and only made it worse.

08-10-2008 06:54 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

That's a good point. Doing stuff for other people can be bad because it makes them feel weak, like they couldn't do it for themselves. But sometimes they really need it. So it's hard to be sure. Depends what you're doing though. Just writing stuff that people might find inspirational can't really do any harm... just give 'em suggestions... what they do is up to them.

Hidden stuff:
08-10-2008 08:21 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Quote:Doing stuff for other people can be bad because it makes them feel weak, like they couldn't do it for themselves
It more obvious example buy lets say helping a child lying and crying in woods.
What that child will became? Maybe it was meant to die? Maybe humans are bad in generall and saveing one of them can't be "good"? And if you leave it as it is, is it "evil"?

08-10-2008 08:42 AM
itisi Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

more "evol" than "evil".
Biggrin

[Image: sig.jpg]<3 xkcd
08-10-2008 11:40 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

evol? like evolution? (cuz then that makes sense, but if not...)

i think its neither good or bad to help the child, because you never know what will happen, or what could have happened. the child could grow up to be a mass murderer 9which in itsself can be decated whether saving it was if fact regretable) or it could grow up to end world hunger.

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
08-14-2008 01:17 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Or it could end up to do nothing useful whatsoever for humanity, but enjoy life and thank you for saving it. Isn't that good enough?

Hidden stuff:
08-15-2008 12:13 AM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

SoulRiser Wrote:Or it could end up to do nothing useful whatsoever for humanity, but enjoy life and thank you for saving it. Isn't that good enough?
Exact;y we always focus on extremes, maybe the child just grows up tp be a damn good trashman, and loves doing that, to me,this is enough reason to save one.

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
08-15-2008 12:18 PM