RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are intellegent people born from hard times?
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Are intellegent people born from hard times?

-
08-15-2008 03:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dreamer... Offline
Pariah

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Re: Are intellegent people born from hard times?

I don't think there's any connection between intelligence and how hard a person's life is. I suppose people with a perfect life might be less likely to think outside the box (since their box is already so nice)...but I think intelligence has nothing to do with social class or family life.

Quote:I've seen a lot of people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and have perfect lives, turn into total ignorant douchebags.
Ignorance is not lack of intelligence, it's lack of knowledge. Intelligent people can very well be ignorant, too. Maybe a difficult life makes people more knowledgeable about the realities of things, whereas a sheltered life keeps them ignorant.

I think intelligence is mainly an inborn thing (and there are different types of it too). We're all intelligent in different ways. Our experiences either bring that intelligence to the surface or bury it beneath self-doubt and brainwashing. The intelligence is always there (or not there, depending on the person); the circumstances of our lives just decide whether or not the rest of the world sees it.
08-15-2008 07:00 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I agree with dreamer. Intelligence has nothing to do with your situation. Just your attitude and outlook, but not intelligence.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
08-15-2008 07:39 AM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Ok, when I'm going through a tough time, I look things up, i focu on larning things I won't be taught, so maybe it does in some cases.

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
08-15-2008 12:20 PM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I agree that intelligence probably isn't an optimum word choice. I'm thinking of a word between knowledge and wisdom but it isn't enlightenment. If anyone wants to tell me what I'm thinking of, the prize is my entire stash of pot.

Which is mostly non-existent.

Not everyone grows from hard times, but those that do gain a certain...awareness. Because we learn from experience and scars. It's always hard to word this but I'm glad I experienced death of a loved one when I was young. I'm glad I was bullied. Because I have battle scars so to speak now. When people die, I mourn and I recover. Sometimes quicker than others. Unlike some of my close friends who's grandparents are getting sick and they're getting petrified because they've never had to deal with death before.

It's not smart/dim, intelligent/stupid. It's a kind of knowledge that comes from life experience.

Let's do the time warp again!
08-15-2008 04:17 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Well, I have heard that every self-made rich person has gone bankrupt at one point in their life...

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
08-15-2008 05:17 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:I'm thinking of a word between knowledge and wisdom but it isn't enlightenment.
Insight? Common sense?

I think people increase their intelligence by thinking a lot. So if your life circumstances lead you to spend a lot of time thinking, the odds of you getting better at it are reasonably good. You get different kinds of intelligence depending on what you think about... so yeah, if you think about life a lot, you gain some kind of "life intelligence"... which I don't have a better term for.

Well, it depends. You can be intelligent, and gain experience from bad things that happen to you, but you can also take it in a really bad way and be worse off because of it. You either use that knowledge to rise above the heap of crap that got dumped on you, or you sit there and drown in it.

But yeah, to get back to the point... If I was never bullied and all that, I would be a different person, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an improvement.

Maybe it'd be more accurate to say that people who have hard lives are more likely to become good people? ... actually most of them probably end up as bad as the people who made their lives hard... nevermind.. Having a hard life makes people more likely to become different than the average... in either a good or a bad way.

I'm rambling now, so I'm gonna shut up.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-16-2008 12:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! i wrote a really freeking long response and it disapeared! ugh, i'll re write later, have to go outside and "get some sun" Yuck

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
08-29-2008 05:23 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

You can't measure intelligence.

So I don't know what you guys are talking about.
09-02-2008 07:59 AM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

i think that some people see these events as lessons and not as this and this happened to me whine whine whine,so they try to use the knowledge to better themselves.and people that go through shit usually strive to make a difference so their lives can be better as well as others lives.while on the other hand people who have a perfect life don't have anything to fix or strive for,whatever you want to call it.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
09-12-2008 08:35 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Or wiser. Or the applicable word of your choice.

Let's do the time warp again!
09-12-2008 04:46 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Genius and work ethic have a correlation, but I don't think its because they come from hard times. A lot of great mathematicians, philosophers, scientists, and theorists have come from quite the opposite:aristocracy with much time to fool around since you don't have to work.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
09-16-2008 01:43 PM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Intelligent*

I think that people born from hard times have a certain insight, but many people born from hard times aren't intelligent at all (like me.) They just waste their life thinking they'll never amount to anything.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
09-17-2008 01:06 AM
illstephiee Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I think that people who have been through harder situations know how to appretiate life more, to where as a "spoon fed" person doesn't have as much experience & knowledge.

A place to spend my quiet nights, Time to unwind,
so much pressure in this life of mine, I cry at times,
I once contemplated suicide and woulda tried
But when I held that nine all I could see was my mama's eyes
No one knows my struggle, they only see the trouble
Not knowing it's hard to carry on when no one loves you
Picture me inside the misery and poverty
No man alive has ever witnessed struggles I survived
Praying hard for better days, Promised to hold on
Me and my dogs don't have a choice but to roll on
We finally found a spot to kick it
Where we could drink liquor and no one bickers over trick shit
A spot where we could smoke in peace
And even though we Gs,
We still visualize places that we could roll a piece
And in my minds eye, I see this place the players go and pass it
Got a spot for us all, So we can ball
At Thug'z Mansion

[Image: pacred-2.jpg]
09-17-2008 01:21 AM
Lucie Offline
Revolutionary

Are intelligent people born from hard times?

no, but Bette Davis was.

Fuck McCain
09-19-2008 04:28 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

intellegent

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
09-19-2008 04:39 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Intelligent people are not born from hard times.
But hard time can be born from, otherwise, intelligent people.

And from those hard times come... MacGyver!

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
09-23-2008 12:58 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Not really. A lot of supposedly intelligent people tend to come from wealthy aristocratic backgrounds which enabled them to have good genes, good eduation, so forth. By genes I don't mean that rich people are genetically superior, but good genes as in good inheritance. Intelligence is hard to really measure since there are probably 40 to 50 different intelligences.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
09-23-2008 04:08 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

And you have to consider the fact that the average person only uses 6% of their brain.

That dumb kid whp you sit beside you in class and throws food in the lunch room may have the potential to be smarter than you.
Kind of sad.

09-24-2008 07:25 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

You are right, Wolf.
The funny thing was I saw it on a poster at school.

09-24-2008 08:57 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

dogman32 Wrote:http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

You are right, Wolf.
The funny thing was I saw it on a poster at school.

Schools are nothing more than buildings of disinformation. Question everything...and I mean everything you receive from school.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
09-25-2008 12:25 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I SHALL QUESTION GRAVITY!

School teaches you a lot. The curriculm is most always based on sound science.
The thing you should question is the authority of the teachers, staff, etc. They are there to train you to obey.

09-25-2008 07:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Homosexuality ain't a choice nor are you born with it Asder Miller 13 6,211 04-26-2013 11:15 AM
Last Post: Lime
  Birth... (if you could choose, would you have been born?) HeartofShadows 55 21,777 01-15-2012 10:57 PM
Last Post: Crimson Symbiosis
  A father's rights before the baby is born. UnschoolShqiponjë 71 44,141 12-08-2011 03:28 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser