RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the system sucks, regardless... help!
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
the system sucks, regardless... help!

ok, so first off, im not sure if this should be in voices, or in here, but i'll let a mod decide...

so: as some of you know, i've been trying to homeschool for highschool for various reasons including a bunch of medical crap, the desire to get the hell out of highschool by the time im 16, not waste time in regualr classes, and learn some subjects that they really dont offer in any school i've ever heard of. at this point, my mother is trying to work out "home instruction" for me, which is actually different that homeschooling.
home instruction is when you're registered at a school (so at the moment im atually registered at my down public highschool) and they send teachers from the school to tutor you at if, IF you have enough medical reasons to not be able to attend regular school. i have ample amounts of medical crap, enough appearantly, to get around 3 months of home intruction from this school.
it sounded good at first, because alot of stuff would be taken care of, as oposed to homeschooling, where we'd have to hire tutors we cant afford, and spend time we dont have, and find out whats even leagal. also, they said that since i was part of the school, i'd be able to have some of the extra curricular classes like art, theatre, music, etc. (this being great because i love all those things, but we cant really afford classes in many of them). then, yesterday, i had a meeting with one of the schools guidance councelors, and a few things were brought to light...

1) i'd only have 1 or 2 hours a day of school, one subject an hour, meaning i got each subject ONCE a week, meaning either a hell of a lot of independant work, or going WAAAAAAAAAAAY slower than regular school even (which would be the oposite reason im even DOING this)

2) i found out that i cant get any extra curricular things except basic woodworking... yay...

3) i'd have to learn only what they want me to learn, and thats usually ok because i was planning on doing a lot of independant study, but they HAVE subjects that i want, and i can learn them because im a year younger than requiered! fucking ageism... (as in, i cant even learn mythology cause its not offered to freshmen.

4) on top of all this, they're treating my case as if im going back into their school after 3 months, so my origianal plans of doing years worth in one year, if i do this, are shot to hell. now why cant i just go to homeschooling once the 3 months is up? becaues apperantly unless i complete a full year there, i get absalutely no credits of papers saying i learnt anything, making the whole thing a big fucking waste of time, which again is the OPOSITE reason i wanted this in the first place!

5) i was getting pretty pissed, so i started talking to the guidance counselor about some leagal stuff, and heres what it boils down to:

A) the govt doesnt care about how much you learn, what you learn, how fast you can learn, or what you actually retain, they only care about the amount of hours you spend learning.

B) in the highschool experience, the only thing that really matters is your transcripts, and your test scores. if a kid finished all of their required subjects in half a year, they'd get no credits, and would probably have to repeat the grade.

C) heres a quote from the guidance councelor herself: "the education system is made for those who fit inside the box, if your outside the box, then (your out of luck)" (the last part i wasnt sure about the wording she used, i wont quote unless its truly a quote)

so... doesnt the system seem a bit...i dont know, FLAWED?!?

the whole system is for average people to get an average education and lead average lives and have average careers. now theres nothing wrong with being average, but their definition of average is wrong anyway. everyone should have an oportunity to actually learn, not just put in hours and get a peice of paper saying "well done."
the sad thing is, if the govt. allowed for it, the not "average" people probably wouldnt be such a minority. alot more kids would probably want to learn, and care about knoledge. in this world, you have to either be a sheep, or become one. if you dont fit into the box, you have no choice but to be square like everyone else, even if you were round at first. (wow, odd metaphor...) so they may create the system for the "majority" of people who fit in the box, but thats just because they make sure most people do!

all those posters and commercials that you see in schools, about the "no child left behind" or every kid matters, or one person can make a differance... BULLSHIT!
the school even said that they cant pay attention to every kid, only to the masses, otherwise it wont work. yeah, i guess with 2000 students, you cant pay attention to every kid, but instead of thinking that its ok because it works, shouldnt people be a bit less oblivious and say "oh wow, thats not good, maybe the education system needs a change..."

so what the fuck am i supposed to do?!?! i want an education that fits my interests, and yet so far, its looking to be impossible. i have some high aspirations (its a wonder they havent been crushed by now) and i need to be able to learn at my own pace, and learn what i want. i'll still learn the core subjects, that are required, but it seems that im not allowed to learn anything else unless im at a certain age and it fits into the schools interests. its not like a small thing that goes away if it doesnt work out. this is my fucking future! so far, all the officials have been hipocrits who dont give a damn about anyhting other than the fact that their making an income. slot of the teachers are great, alot of the councelors and other staff actually care, but they cant even do anything about it, or if they can then they dont care enough to try.

sure, i can get a GED at 16, and drop out with a parents consent. but i dont want to drop out! some of the colledges i want to go to probably wouldnt let me in if all they saw was a kid who dropped out of highschool. i want to learn everything i'd learn in four years and more, just a bit faster, because im pretty sure i can do that. think of all the time wasted in class, with social crap and assembalies and teachers yelling at kids. i dont give a damn about social crap, im much more concerned with what school is actually supposed to be about, knoledge.

ugh i didnt mean to bitch...

ok so basically, i hate asking for help, but since i know some of you guys are actually pretty awsome at stuff like this, (hence the site's name...) does anyone know anything that might help?

ok, im off to scour the homepage for homeschool info...

(and please note, i had to rewrite this whole thing because as always, my computer blanked out and i lost it...so grrr)

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
09-17-2008 02:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Re: the system sucks, regardless... help!

I can off you one great bit of advice. From what I've heard, colleges actually PREFER homeschoolers. So, drop out, get a GED at 16, and some colleges would rather take you then the 18 year-old with a 'proper' diploma.

If you REALLY want to know, why not call the college(s) and ask? Or send a letter.

And yeh, the school system sucks. Down here in Australia, English is compulsory to get a HSC (diploma). You also need to do like 4 subjects or you don't get it. You really have no choice what you learn in school. If you want control over what you learn and when, you really have to drop out.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
09-17-2008 02:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Holy crap, that's some pure epic fail right there. How do your parents feel about it? Do they also see the epic failness in the situation? ... 'Cause if they do, regular homeschooling (mixed with a lot of unschooling) sounds like a good option. Also, online schools are the same old crap as public schools, but you can go at your own pace and don't have to go anywhere. afaik, online schools are generally free as well, depending where you live. Also look into charter schools which I personally know jack squat about, but Happy Camper did that.

Or this:
Quote:There are a bunch of colleges with programs to admit students to start college without having finished high school and other colleges that don't have formalized programs to do this but will occasionally admit students after their junior years.
http://earlyentrance.org/
http://simons-rock.edu/

Or do what liq3 said. Or combine all of them. Biggrin

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-17-2008 03:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

thabx! ok so...

:( my parents are pretty cool, but the situation is basically this: my dad works, and, my mom doesnt have any time she could teach me anything. i can do alot on independant on my own learning, but i really think i'd rather have some kind of teacher figure for math and some science.
the calling the colledges idea: actually really ironic cause my mom JUST suggested that a few hours ago, so lol, good idea, i think i'll try it (weird...im researching colledges b4 im even in highschool...)

the fact remains though, that it really looks like my mom is gonna make me do the home instruction... to her, its like "your health comes first and thats whats the important thing" meanwhile at first i didnt even want to homeschool cuz of pain and medical crap, just cuz of the education stuff, but now im all tyed up with physical therapy and my mom finally having enough time and not enough money to focus on seeing whats actually wrong with me (well, all the stuff that they dont know yet)

to her, its that one year isnt gonna make so much of a differance, to me, its like, "how can i do 3 years in one year now" (because i'd be doing 2 "years" worth each year, assuming i do highschool in 2 years) plus its also like giving up, and still not getting the education i want, i spent 7 fucking years in kushner, if i have to go through one more year of school not learning how i want to learn im gonna get...well probably more depressed.. grr

so if i do get say in this, im gonna see what i can do about the colledge stuff, and maybe finding a way to learn math with no regular teacher type person...

hmmm, u know with science i might run into a problem, due to, er, previous happenings, my parents arent too keen on me experimenting in any way anywhere near my home...

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
09-18-2008 07:14 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_Jersey.pdf

It looks like the legal requirements for homeschooling aren't very strict in your state.

Also, it's not particularly difficult to teach yourself math as long as you have enough motivation to study regularly. Just go as slow as you need to at first. (This might actually let you finish faster, since you don't waste time being confused about things that you should already know.) Personally, I think it will be more difficult to do English by myself, since it's more subjective and I'm less likely to know immediately if I'm doing it wrong.

I like using textbooks because that way I don't have to plan anything out or worry about not covering certain topics, so it's something to consider even though it's optional. Textbooks are kinda expensive, but they'd still be less expensive than hiring a tutor. You also might be able to find some used if you look around a bit. My books for this year cost around $500, although I had to buy them new since by the time I bought them I need them very soon. Like I said before, it's completely up to you whether you want to use textbooks at all, but it might help when applying to colleges so they can easily tell what you've done.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
09-18-2008 08:00 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:hmmm, u know with science i might run into a problem, due to, er, previous happenings, my parents arent too keen on me experimenting in any way anywhere near my home...
Did you blow stuff up? Biggrin

Quote:"your health comes first and thats whats the important thing"
What about mental health? That's just as important. Tell her your mental health will suffer if you don't get to learn at your own pace.

Also, what do you think 'bout the online school idea? You get teachers, they're just... online.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-18-2008 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

cryptevah72 Wrote::( my parents are pretty cool, but the situation is basically this: my dad works, and, my mom doesnt have any time she could teach me anything. i can do alot on independant on my own learning, but i really think i'd rather have some kind of teacher figure for math and some science.
Ok, I'm wondering this. Do you actually WANT to learn math and science? Also, WHY do you want to go to college? It's expensive, and a lot of jobs don't need it. (programmer, artist, musician, basically any trade, etc).

Math is very 'easy' to learn by yourself. Science, I guess it'd be easy to learn the theory stuff, but prac stuff I guess would be harder, since you need the equipment.

I'm wondering this...why don't you unschool?

Epic win book.
09-18-2008 08:31 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:
cryptevah72 Wrote:Math is very 'easy' to learn by yourself. Science, I guess it'd be easy to learn the theory stuff, but prac stuff I guess would be harder, since you need the equipment.
Logic to liq3: Not everyone's minds work the same. Math is not easy for her.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
09-18-2008 09:01 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Darthmat Wrote:
liq3 Wrote:
cryptevah72 Wrote:Math is very 'easy' to learn by yourself. Science, I guess it'd be easy to learn the theory stuff, but prac stuff I guess would be harder, since you need the equipment.
Logic to liq3: Not everyone's minds work the same. Math is not easy for her.
Easy is relative, thus the single quotes. Say someone takes 10 years to learn how to add large numbers (e.g.1234 + 5678). Now lets say someone else took 20 years to do the same thing. The second person would say the first finds math easy. We'd say they both find it terribly hard.

So, watch out for those singe quotes next time ok?

Epic win book.
09-18-2008 09:12 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

fist: yeah i just looked at that the other day, it seems like it wouldn't be horribly hard in NJ, my mom is just oposed to it at the moment, idk. textbooks seem like a good idea, any clue where to get them? (i couldnt find any at my bookstore...) i suppose i could just ask which ones the highschool is useing, and possibly go from there...

SoulRiser Wrote:Did you blow stuff up?
maaaaybe... lol probably, but the worst time was probably when i was 8, and lit my carpet on fire... or maybe when i was playing around with differant types of mold...or when i was experimenting with my own blood...yeah Wasntme

and she does care bout my mental health, except to her, that means using the highschool's psychologist for pain managment cuz ive been told by every doctor who i've seen that a psychologist "might be a good idea" for various reasons. they say its just cuz kids who go through traumatic experiences and yada yada yada have a tendency to blah blah blah, but im pretty sure if i came into their office not weraing my usual black and bracelets, and sounded chiper or "normal happy" when they addressed me, they might have skipped that speach.

the online school thing sounds reasonable, but im actually gonna agree with my parents for once and say that any more time spent on the computer for me would most probably make me go blind...er than i am at least. i like books though, but i'll think about it if all else fails...

liq: yes, i really think colledge is an important thing for me. many of the careers i want need a colledge degree (one of which you can only get in one colledge in the usa) and im not even planning on going to just one, im looking into colledges in other countries, and differant ones for differant specialties (i know, it sounds sorta crazy, but i have alot of differant interests and i'll see if things can work out...) i do want to learn math and science cuz their very interesting to me, especially science!

and unfortunately, as much as i hate to admit it, yeah, math doesnt come that easy to me. i mean, im not bad at it, but its just weird cuz all my life i've been like, at least 3 grade levels ahead in math, and for the past two years its just gotten alot harder. i've always been slow at it, but not bad. :( i think i came mostly from the fact that i never have time to finish tests, and my teachers have for the most part been the types to say "it doesnt matter if you understand it, as long as you can do it" which i hate, because i have a thirst to understand and take apart everything and anything i come across...

so...situation hasnt changed much yet, im trying to convince my mom to just homeschool, she's listenening, but still wants to do the whole thing in association with the public school. it jsut pisses me off cuz the facts keep changing with the home instruction plan. first its only for 3 months, then the whole year, then 4 weeks, then right now my mom says the whole year. im aloud to use the extra curricular stuff, then i cant, then i can. this whole thing is pissing me off!!! Brickwall Goingcrazy

Goingcrazy Brickwall Brickwall Brickwall Goingcrazy Brickwall

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
09-23-2008 06:57 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Sheesh. Go on strike until the idiots can make up their minds and stick to one story. Yes

Hidden stuff:
09-23-2008 07:30 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

how can i strike when i have nothing to not do? grrr, i dont wanna put my parents through more stress...

ok, current situation (as of now):

im most probably 99% sure getting home instruction for a month, which means that im gonna have to be in that school's system for the year, yay... my mom is almost sure she can get home instruction from them for the whole year though, but theres still no definites. (and we all know how much i LOVE not being sure about things...)
my bio teacher (soon to be i guess) called today, already trying to schedule a time for him to come... it was odd, but oh well.
so i guess im expecting more calls from more "instructors" in the following week... i really dont think i can get out of this, at least for the year. i mean, maybe its not horrible, because IF i can use the extra stuff at the public school, and IF i can be home instructed all year, and IF it all works out, then i still have alot of time to do independant study, so i may get ahead like i want to, but still, the sad fact remains, that IM NOT SURE!!! :waah:

in other news (since i dont seem to have time to check any other threds than this one, sorry bout that...):
yay im seeing rent again tmrw!!! and im doing a musical, and possibly taking dance classes, and my band might be on mtv, and i have an anime festival this sunday!

...nothing like doing fun things to keep ur mind off the important stuff! ;D

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
09-25-2008 12:23 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

oh wait, and in awsome news: i might be able to sue my old school!!!!! i know it might possibly be wrong to feel good about someone elses slight misfortune, but being able to do anything against kushner, especially leagally, gives me the warm fuzzys inside! Yes Biggrin Laugh Giggle Fu ;D

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
09-25-2008 12:27 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

What can you sue your old school for? Suspicious

Hidden stuff:
09-25-2008 11:54 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Her back got damaged (worse then it already was) because of shitty gymnastics equipment.
Hidden stuff:
Personally I think she should have known better, since she knew all about gymnastics at the time. I think this her fault more then the gym teachers, but the teacher is supposed to make sure the equipment is properly suited, so good luck suing. Smile

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
09-27-2008 06:08 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

thanx... u know i've already beat myself up for ruining a large part of my life, i dont need ur help. i do think i should have known better, and i didnt i guess. but i got a little pissed at the fact that i asked her if i could do it, asked her if it was big enough (because prior to the incident, i'd always argued with her about the lack of equipment and how the small amount the school had was too small for us, and she assured me that it wasnt) i still dont blame her, and i know im a dumbass, but i still have the right to be...idk, upset?

grr, watever, school still hasnt fucking started!!!!!! i feel so uneducated. :(

i am me myself and i
under one single name

Flock <3
10-02-2008 12:07 PM