RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-life crisis
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Mid-life crisis

According to Wikipedia:
Quote:Midlife crisis is a term used in Western societies to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" of life, as a result of sensing the passing of youth and the imminence of old age. Sometimes, transitions experienced in these years, such as aging in general, menopause, the death of parents, or children leaving home, can trigger such a crisis. The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day to day life or situation, such as in career, marriage, or romantic relationships.

I think a lot of it is due to a person realizing that they spent all that time on stuff that didn't really matter after all, and they feel a strong urge to change their way of life. However, due to being conditioned for so many years, they can't even put their feelings into words, and thus, a term "mid-life crisis" was born, and is now used as a convenient "phase" with which to explain away those very legitimate feelings.

Exaggerated example:
Person: "I just feel like I wasted my life doing all this unnecessary stuff."
Other person: "Oh, don't worry, you're just having a mid-life crisis. It'll get better by itself."

It's just a convenient excuse to continue blundering along in the same routine without stopping to think and truly question whether you're doing what you really should be doing with your life.

Thoughts?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-20-2008 06:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: Mid-life crisis

-_-

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
09-20-2008 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Quote:Thoughts?

Well first of all, 9/11 was an inside job.

Also, I think that when people have a "mid-life" crisis, they're simply realizing they're getting old and perhaps some regrets surface and they feel that they're helpless to do anything about it. No doubt the more emphasis a culture places on consumerism and materialism, the more prevalent such mid-life crises become.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
09-20-2008 10:16 AM
Dark Soul X Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Age is only physical. I can safely bet, with my attitude, there's gonna be a good chance I'll still be acting young when I'm older. I'm that way at heart.

Spambot Kill Counter: 33
Spambot Kill Counter as Spambot Hell's Devil: Countless

Buying a high powered computer: 500 bucks
Getting gift wrap: 10 bucks maybe
Seeing the horror on that special someone's face once they tear off the gift wrap and see a Windows 98: Priceless.

[Image: Spawn_Classic.jpg]

I'll see you in Hell....AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
09-20-2008 01:16 PM
PIMP. Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:Thoughts?

Yes i think its interesting how the "mid life crisis" phenomenon is really only prevalent in western culture. The societies that don't have a selfish, workaholic, greed mentality don't seem to be affected. Its also funny how our reaction is to attach the word "crises" onto it. As if to say a person who desires to make some changes in their life is experiencing some kind of disaster situation that has been officially declared a crises. Its akin to something like "get back in line #12575 we dont want you setting a good example for the other consumerbots." Maybe thats going a bit to far but you know what I mean.

I think the path to take is to go through this period early in life. The earlier the better. I would hate be in a situation where im 40 and still haven't figured anything out. Its important to find out who your are and what you want from life when your young so when you get to that mid point in your life you can reap the rewards.

This topic always reminds me the movie American Beauty. Awesome film... Mena Suvari cute, but so overated.

So whats the deal with this anyway. Just got a random urge to wiki Mid life crises?
09-20-2008 04:35 PM
Captain_Katiakicz Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Dark Soul X Wrote:Age is only physical. I can safely bet, with my attitude, there's gonna be a good chance I'll still be acting young when I'm older. I'm that way at heart.
Me too. I'm glad someone else feels this way!

You can call me Ruki
Or Captain Ruki
Or Captain K. Ruki
Or Captain Katiakicz

Because you're young, there's advice from everyone
Although we're free, chains await for you and me...
09-20-2008 04:36 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I think the path to take is to go through this period early in life. The earlier the better. I would hate be in a situation where im 40 and still haven't figured anything out.
Agreed. Yes
Ironically, there's another thing called a "quarter-life crisis"... though I haven't looked that one up. Laugh
But yeah, with the way thinking and daydreaming is discouraged, it's no wonder most people take that long to get to the point where they realize they went off-course somewhere along the way.

Quote:So whats the deal with this anyway. Just got a random urge to wiki Mid life crises?
I can't remember what triggered it, but it's something I was thinking about a while ago. I just never looked it up until now. I still wanted to see if I could find any midlife crisis support forums or something to troll give people advice on.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-21-2008 12:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Actually, I think that a midlife crisis is generally a term to describe someone who has attained all of their goals in life, and then they realize how unsatisfying they are.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
09-21-2008 02:00 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Actually, I think that a midlife crisis is generally a term to describe someone who has attained all of their goals in life, and then they realize how unsatisfying they are.
That's probably the best summary of the whole thing. Yes

Hidden stuff:
09-21-2008 02:27 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

It's a great economic stimulus. Changing your lifestyle means changing your car, changing your dietary habits, and much more. That makes a lot of money.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
09-22-2008 12:27 PM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I remember on my way home from school on the bus, I saw this big RV near a nice looking house, and I thought I saw the word "Denial" written on the front of it. It actually said Denali, but it was funny because it reminded me of the kind of what a lot of people do during this mid-life crises shindig, like buy RVs and fast cars and stuff. Maybe as a way of denying that all they're dreams of having a huge house or whatever were actually unfufilling.

It's a very interesting phenomenon.
09-22-2008 12:32 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

It's really sad though. I mean, you can get to the point of admitting you're unhappy with your life and all that... but then redirect those thoughts into actions that don't solve anything. This tells me that people really have no idea how to be honest with themselves. Noo
What can one really do about that?

Hidden stuff:
09-23-2008 02:57 AM
Abandoning Ship Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:It's really sad though. I mean, you can get to the point of admitting you're unhappy with your life and all that... but then redirect those thoughts into actions that don't solve anything. This tells me that people really have no idea how to be honest with themselves. Noo
What can one really do about that?

I don't see much you can do. If you're unable to be that honest with yourself, then you probably won't be able to fix the problem itself, unfortunately. I guess you just have to make sure that you pursue fulfilling goals that you yourself want to accomplish, instead of society's dreams, like "The American Dream".

But yeah, it's pretty sad. :(
09-23-2008 05:42 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

It's a bullshit term used by psychologists to classify people in a certain age bracket who're unsatisfied with thier lives. In your twenties it's called a quarterlife crisis, and during childhood its called Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
09-25-2008 02:36 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:It's a bullshit term used by psychologists to classify people in a certain age bracket who're unsatisfied with thier lives. In your twenties it's called a quarterlife crisis, and during childhood its called Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
*adds to quote collection*

Hidden stuff:
09-25-2008 02:43 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

my dad went insane, bought a truck, went golfing everyday he was off work, and ate pizza and drank double the ammount of coffe he normaly does, and grew out his beard, also noticed he talked to himself more often, something about worthless. this was 8 years ago, three more years and hell be sixty

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
09-28-2008 01:21 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

There's been a recent study. A midlife crisis doesn't happen because you've wasted your life, your getting old etc.

It's because your mate is. You have a desire to find a new one which is why you buy flashy stuff, it's a subconscious attempt to attract a mate.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
02-04-2009 04:47 PM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:According to Wikipedia:
Quote:Midlife crisis is a term used in Western societies to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" of life, as a result of sensing the passing of youth and the imminence of old age. Sometimes, transitions experienced in these years, such as aging in general, menopause, the death of parents, or children leaving home, can trigger such a crisis. The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day to day life or situation, such as in career, marriage, or romantic relationships.

I think a lot of it is due to a person realizing that they spent all that time on stuff that didn't really matter after all, and they feel a strong urge to change their way of life. However, due to being conditioned for so many years, they can't even put their feelings into words, and thus, a term "mid-life crisis" was born, and is now used as a convenient "phase" with which to explain away those very legitimate feelings.

Exaggerated example:
Person: "I just feel like I wasted my life doing all this unnecessary stuff."
Other person: "Oh, don't worry, you're just having a mid-life crisis. It'll get better by itself."

It's just a convenient excuse to continue blundering along in the same routine without stopping to think and truly question whether you're doing what you really should be doing with your life.

Thoughts?
You're due for one soon...nearly 27, fucking christ.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
02-04-2009 06:18 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

People that say "it's just a midlife crisis" are just using an excuse. You don't just regret things in your later years.

woah dude
dude woah
02-08-2009 01:17 AM
spookycloud Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Freak Wrote:Actually, I think that a midlife crisis is generally a term to describe someone who has attained all of their goals in life, and then they realize how unsatisfying they are.

This is spot on and I'm glad I realised this before mid or quarterlife... 0.o I read a book called "30 something and over it" about a woman who spent her twenties climbing the corporate ladder only to realise promotions meant endless burdens and she didn't want to go to work anymore.

The author Kasey Edwards found the "meaning of life" through starting a family *rolls eyes* but suggested it could be a metaphorical baby too. Desperation for new goals to "relieve the stress" is kind of disturbing though when workaholics fear "failure" and stagnation. Pace and structure shouldn't be such an issue. Fulfillment arises from pursuing activities which utilise/cultivate our core strengths and/or interests. Schools should have catered to freer, introspective, individual based learning culture earlier.

I used to care about making good grades so I could go to university but I realised that I didn't even want to spend the bulk of my life writing papers/doing depersonalised assignments anymore. We work to live not the other way around. If you sacrifice for rewards, weigh up the worth of anticipation vs how much you're enjoying the process I guess, but consumer society is pretty manipulative so it's not always easy to be far sighted about these things. Now I like to view goals as being more open ended and experimental rather than as mental checkpoints. The final destination is death, you'd think such accomplished numbness would result in ultimate bliss but even that possibility is pretty abstract. Smile

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
09-21-2009 02:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crisis Scenario UnicornLionWolf 0 1,845 10-15-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  I'm going through a belief crisis, can anyone help me? James Comey 4 2,718 05-22-2014 10:00 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Global Financial Crisis: A World In Debt Miller0700 2 1,865 04-05-2012 09:33 PM
Last Post: kelby393
  US soldier kills 16 Afghans, deepening crisis. UnschoolShqiponjë 6 2,841 03-13-2012 02:26 AM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
  A Solution To Our Debt Crisis Miller0700 41 6,607 08-08-2011 02:11 AM
Last Post: Miller0700
  Extinction Crisis Escalates Guest 5 3,242 10-03-2007 12:15 PM
Last Post: Suicidal-kun