RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They want to grow up too fast"
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
"They want to grow up too fast"

I found this posted on NYRA's forums by ThePhantom7777

"They want to grow up too fast!"
"Enjoy your youth!"
"You're only young once."
"These are the best years of your life."

These are just some of the nauseating statements made by ageists about youth. They think youth is some kind of magical time in life where you're always happy. However, its not true. Childhood in fact, sucks. All these ageists want to know why kids want to grow up faster. Here are a few good reasons why childhood is not this idyllic time ageist assholes describe.

If a kid's mom watches the wrong episode of Dr. Phil, or other moronic daytime talk show, she could be inspired to have him/her kidnapped, possibly drugged in the process, taken to some "school" in another state, or even country, for "treatment" of some problem they probably don't even have. In said "schools," there is a very real chance they could die or suffer permanent injury during the course of "treatment" (which regularly includes physical/mental abuse).

If a kid is out at the wrong time of day, they could be harassed by some cop who asks them questions about things that are none of their business. Then they have the audacity to take them to jail and/or fine their parents for the "crime" of existing.

A sick kid can't go into a store and buy the cough medicine that works because somewhere, some 30 year olds used it to make crystal meth, and some politician wanted to make it look like he was doing something to stop it to impress the over 65 age group before the election.

Kids constantly have it beaten into their heads that they have no rights (which is bullshit because I didn't read that in the Constitution, or Bill of Rights). Why wouldn't they want to grow up sooner so they have rights?

Kids to go schools run by often corrupt and barely competent administrators that take in huge sums of money while cutting after school programs and complain of a money shortage. Even if the kid pays taxes, he/she cannot vote out an admin that screws them over and over.

The administrators of said schools have been gradually taking their focus off education (yes I differ from many YR supporters in that I think the education system was focused on education at some point). They have been more focused on regulating every aspect of the lives of their students.

Some examples of this are more subtle. Things like the increase in homework over the years (including long, arduous summer and winter homework assignments). Others are more obvious. The increase in school uniforms is one example. Some PUBLIC schools have even taken it upon themselves to regulate what students do on their home computers. Principals threaten students with punishment if they have a MySpace as though its their business.

A kid who has a job can have his money taken by his/her abusive parent to fund their drug habit. They don't even have to go behind their back. What's worse, is that its almost impossible to escape the situation. They could try getting emancipated but in most states that allow it, its pretty damn close to impossible. They could call social services but they'll usually make the parent go into some treatment program and force the kid to go back to the parent who will relapse within 2 months or so. The results of this can be seen at least once a week on your local news.

In some cases, they'll put the kid in an even worse predicament (The Gravelle case comes to mind). They can't run away. The cops or some bounty hunter group will find them and immediately take the side of the parent. They could kill them, but they'd get life (but if the parent kills the kid, its usually a slap on the wrist). The only way out of it is to grow up.

So, for any ageist on this forum who wants to know why kids want to grow up sooner rather than later, does this answers your question?

What are your thoughts on this?

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
09-29-2008 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: "They want to grow up too fast"

I pretty much agree with everything you say. Adolescence isn't fun.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
09-29-2008 06:23 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

No comment

There's no way to enjoy your youth in this world.
09-29-2008 07:20 AM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

christillusion Wrote:I found this posted on NYRA's forums by ThePhantom7777
Some PUBLIC schools have even taken it upon themselves to regulate what students do on their home computers. Principals threaten students with punishment if they have a MySpace as though its their business.
what where do they do this?that's fucking bullshit,how do they even know whether the kid has a myspace?

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
09-29-2008 10:13 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Avenger Wrote:
christillusion Wrote:I found this posted on NYRA's forums by ThePhantom7777
Some PUBLIC schools have even taken it upon themselves to regulate what students do on their home computers. Principals threaten students with punishment if they have a MySpace as though its their business.
what where do they do this?that's fucking bullshit,how do they even know whether the kid has a myspace?
By searching their name.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
09-29-2008 10:52 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Myspace is for losers.
I do apologize for hurt feelings, either.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
09-29-2008 11:05 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

dogman32 Wrote:Myspace is for losers.
I don't use any socaial networking sites because it's something I nor enjoy, nor find useful. But if someone wants to do so, let them. Every time we restrict access to information and monitor what people do on-line, we're getting closer to a totalitarian regime.

This is especially for those in countires like UK and US which have been free for centuries: don't let your guard down. Fight against civil rights violations. Get yourself a passport and learn foerign languages. Otherwise you might just find yourself in a totalitarian regime with no way out.

Czechoslovakia was the only country where the communist party got to power by free and fair elections. And then they made sure there were no free elctions for the next forty years. Watch out-you don't want this to happen to you, albeit I would assume a different political party would seize the power in yur case.

09-29-2008 06:36 PM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Puchiko Wrote:
I don't use any socaial networking sites because it's something I nor enjoy, nor find useful. But if someone wants to do so, let them. Every time we restrict access to information and monitor what people do on-line, we're getting closer to a totalitarian regime.

This is especially for those in countires like UK and US which have been free for centuries: don't let your guard down. Fight against civil rights violations. Get yourself a passport and learn foerign languages. Otherwise you might just find yourself in a totalitarian regime with no way out.

Czechoslovakia was the only country where the communist party got to power by free and fair elections. And then they made sure there were no free elctions for the next forty years. Watch out-you don't want this to happen to you, albeit I would assume a different political party would seize the power in yur case.

The USA may not be dominated by one party, but it is dominated by just two parties, the democrats and the republicans (very orwellian-sounding names, too...) Who, except for positions on a few items, are essentially both right-of-centre. And US presidents are not elected by the public, they are elected by a group of about 500 "electors" in Washington DC.

For a long time Amerika has been no more then another latin dictatorship.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
09-29-2008 09:10 PM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

26 Wrote:The USA may not be dominated by one party, but it is dominated by just two parties, the democrats and the republicans (very orwellian-sounding names, too...) Who, except for positions on a few items, are essentially both right-of-centre. And US presidents are not elected by the public, they are elected by a group of about 500 "electors" in Washington DC.

For a long time Amerika has been no more then another latin dictatorship.
I'm not saying US "democracy" is flawless. It isn't.

The following does not concern schools,which for some reason seem to be exempt from civil rights laws. But there's still relative freedom of speech, freedom of travel (emigration), and so on. The US is not as free as it thinks it is, but compare it to North Korea, Central African Republic, Chad or Saudi Arabia (which has Qur'an as its constitution). I've never been a proponent of the argument: "Others have it worse so shut up". I'm simply pointing out that the US is still a democracy, but you've really got to be careful not to let it get any worse.

09-30-2008 12:22 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Xanga's so much better.
09-30-2008 04:00 AM