RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Find School Very Depressing. Help!!!
dutto42 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
I Find School Very Depressing. Help!!!

Hello. I am in year 9 at the moment, leading up to the start of term 4, and I have been finding school almost intolerable lately. My attendance has dropped significantly in the last few months, averaging to about 2 days off a week, to the utter dismay of my parent's. I just find it so terribly boring, monotonous, pointless, anxiety producing and most of all depressing.

There's almost nothing I enjoy about school, rarely taking pleasure in anything I do there. Some people may say that schools not about enjoyment but about learning. I'm sorry but there just plain wrong if they think that your really going to learn anything being bored shitless. I get quite good marks at school and I'm in nearly all the top classes, but can I remember any of the stuff I supposedly 'learnt'. My honest answer is NO. Although I get quite good marks at school that just doesn’t translate into knowledge.

But regardless of what I say the fact of the matter is that people will always believe that school is about learning and not 'fun 'and that it's not only good for you, but essential. But does 'learning' really have to be this way? Do you really have to suffer through school, being forced to take in information that other people decide is good for you like a machine? I really don't think that this is the way it should be.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not against learning or education, I'm against school and how information is shoved down your throat unforgiving, before being told to regurgitate it for a test. Walk into any school and walk down one of the halls. Out of those 150 or so kids you see how many are even paying attention, let along caring what marks they get? Not many I tell you, maybe 30, maybe even 40; but what about those other 110 or so? Those kids are often labelled as moronic, idiotic or lazy. I don't think they are. I think there reaction is perfectly normal to the forcefulness, staleness and hope crushing education system of their country.

That’s what I think at least. Don't get me wrong here either, I don't want to just sit at home and stare at the wall, or watch tv all day and play video games. No, not at all. I love to learn and have keen interests. Right at the moment I'm furthering my knowledge of programming, spending hours at end, learning something that actually interests me!

Anyway I won't go on any longer, although there's a lot I would still like to say. I just want some help, someone to guide me in the right direction. I've been thinking about unschooling, but I know my parents would absolutely detest this idea. I just get so depressed. The school has contacted my parents about my poor attendance, complaining and telling them that it's not on. Everyone makes me feel as though I'm doing something really bad, telling me that I'm lazy, immature and that if I don't snap out of it I'm going to end up a bum on the side of the street. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
10-04-2008 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: I Find School Very Depressing. Help!!!

Have you considered online school?

It doesn't seem to be any better for actual learning, but you do get more time to do what you want to do.
10-04-2008 11:14 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hmm. Yeah, online school can work, also maybe some of these?

Here are also some arguments you can possibly use to help convince your parents to let you try something else or just help 'em understand a bit... if they'll listen.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-05-2008 01:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dutto42 Offline
Defiant

Thanks SoulRiser, those rebuttals to commonly asked questions and misconceptions about school haters are great. I don't know who thought them up, but they are undoubtebly very solid. They pretty much sum up every thing I have been wanting to say to my parent's, but couldn't quite think of the right thing to say. I'll review them some more and have a talk to my parent's. Thankfully they aren't as strick as many other parent's are, but still closed minded nonetheless.

Also, just quickly, I live in NSW Australia and I am wondering exactly how to go about homeschooling. You know who to talk to and all that to get it arranged. Anyway thanks for you comments, they were quite helpful. Smile
10-07-2008 09:27 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I don't really know how homeschooling works in Australia I'm afraid. But there is this:
http://www.school-survival.net/answers/ ... nAustralia

Not sure if it helps. There should be some kind of "homeschooling support groups" for Australians, try to find one. They should know how it all works.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-08-2008 04:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dutto42 Offline
Defiant

Thanks. I looked into the laws associated with unschooling in my area. I was wondering if anyone one else who has tried unschooling/homeschooling would be able to tell me about thier experiences and if it is in fact better than the normal school routine.

Also I would have no problem with earning a wage at the lower end of the spectrum, just enough to get by. I would like to set up a few websites and have people advertise on them, plus I would also like to program up my own applications and maybe in the future sell them. Is it possible to have a low paying job just to make ends meat , while working on your own websites/programs?

If I begin unschooling/homeschooling at the start of next year, year 10 for me, I should have much more time to spend on programming and my future websites. Can anyone tell if my assumptions are correct? Thank you.
10-10-2008 07:10 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I was wondering if anyone one else who has tried unschooling/homeschooling would be able to tell me about thier experiences and if it is in fact better than the normal school routine.
That depends entirely on your parents. If they let you do whatever you want for the majority of the day, then that's what you get. If they want to make you have a more 'normal' school schedule, you can either deal with that or negotiate with them further.

Quote:Also I would have no problem with earning a wage at the lower end of the spectrum, just enough to get by. I would like to set up a few websites and have people advertise on them, plus I would also like to program up my own applications and maybe in the future sell them. Is it possible to have a low paying job just to make ends meat , while working on your own websites/programs?
Definitely possible, not necessarily easy if the job tires you out. If you want any tips for the websites and advertising stuff, I have a ton of bookmarks... just lemme know. Hmm, actually I should make a whole topic 'bout that anyway.

Hidden stuff:
10-11-2008 12:05 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

For homeschooling in Australia, I believe you need to register yourself with the government.

But year 10? You might be able to just drop out.

Also, a lot of people use homeschooling as a cover for unschooling, to get the gov off their back.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-11-2008 01:05 AM
dutto42 Offline
Defiant

Ok so I'm in year 9 at the moment, 15 years old. I know most of the people on this site are probably American but I would really like to know how you go about dropping out of school, I doubt the process would be much different in NSW, Australia. I'm pretty sure that, for 2008 at least, you can leave at 15 or older; I'm just not sure how you would go about it. Please help, I think that the nsw government is going to raise the compulsory school leaving age to 16 next year in 2009.
10-23-2008 05:45 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

dutto42 Wrote:Ok so I'm in year 9 at the moment, 15 years old. I know most of the people on this site are probably American but I would really like to know how you go about dropping out of school, I doubt the process would be much different in NSW, Australia. I'm pretty sure that, for 2008 at least, you can leave at 15 or older; I'm just not sure how you would go about it. Please help, I think that the nsw government is going to raise the compulsory school leaving age to 16 next year in 2009.
Just drop out. Refuse to go to school. If the legal dropout age is 15 in NSW (it's 16 in Vic), then your parents can't legally force you. I could be wrong, but this is the impression I got.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-23-2008 06:01 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Relax until you get your year 10 school certificate then drop out, and if you still want an hsc do it through self tuition.
10-23-2008 07:24 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

All I know about alternatives in Australia is what's on this page.

Hidden stuff:
10-26-2008 08:46 AM