RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Doing bad in School makes you a failure in life?
katakana Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Doing bad in School makes you a failure in life?

My parents always emphasize on how if you don't do well in school you won't have a good future.

They always compare me to my older brother whos in college now. The problem is that my final grades for last year were A+, A+, A, A, A, B+ and C. I got the C because i messed up in the third quarter and recieved a D for the quarter grade. They always bring up the fact of how my older brother never got D's and I "Always" get them (even though I only got 1) my final GPA was a 3.6.

This year I am taking mostly honors courses and am getting mostly B's and a couple of A's making my GPA a 3.4 (It would be around 3.7 after they weight it because in honors classes the teachers have to multiply our average by 1.1, so getting a 90 is like getting a 99)..they always say how bad that is and how ill never go to college etc...I dont think its bad at all, most kids in my school get 2.0-3.0s I know some of my friends parents who wish their kids got even a 3.0.

I hate how my parents think that school is everything, whats even more frustrating is that im not even doing bad! Im well above average but they make me feel so below average sometimes..

I know tons of proffesional occupations that you don't need a perfect 4.0 GPA for. Most civil engineers only need to know Math well, the class I got a D in was Biology..I dont want to be a biologist or anything to do with science so why would it effect my future...my parents are so irrational.

What do your parents think about your grades?
10-17-2008 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Re: Doing bad in School makes you a failure in life?

Mine doesn't, because I don't go to school anymore.

But lol @ topic title. Anyone who actually believes that is seriously messed up.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-17-2008 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I like how you mentioned science related courses which are like 0.001% of the possible job occupations. For some reason that's the mentality I encounter in school when someone asks why we need to know about electron orbitals...WELL YOU MIGHT BE A SCIENTIST.

Might...and that's a very small chance.

Naturally people look highly upon academics and people in the natural sciences only because they emphasize it so much in school and basically brainwash you.

People always think you're amazing when you can do math or something. "I'm a mathematician." gets a completely different response than "I work at coffee house and write on my free time."

Pretty stupid.

Quote:What do your parents think about your grades?

They think it's everything of course, and so do 99% of people you will meet in 1st world Western society.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-17-2008 10:37 AM
PunchingYou Offline
Revolutionary

my parents have sort of realized i don't give a crap about number grades.. so as long as i pass i am fine.

you can go to hell pre-calculus, there is no way im passing you.

JESUS SAVES... ON THE PRICE OF DETERGALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!
10-17-2008 10:51 AM
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

katakana Wrote:My parents always emphasize on how if you don't do well in school you won't have a good future.

They always compare me to my older brother whos in college now. The problem is that my final grades for last year were A+, A+, A, A, A, B+ and C. I got the C because i messed up in the third quarter and recieved a D for the quarter grade. They always bring up the fact of how my older brother never got D's and I "Always" get them (even though I only got 1) my final GPA was a 3.6.

This year I am taking mostly honors courses and am getting mostly B's and a couple of A's making my GPA a 3.4 (It would be around 3.7 after they weight it because in honors classes the teachers have to multiply our average by 1.1, so getting a 90 is like getting a 99)..they always say how bad that is and how ill never go to college etc...I dont think its bad at all, most kids in my school get 2.0-3.0s I know some of my friends parents who wish their kids got even a 3.0.

I hate how my parents think that school is everything, whats even more frustrating is that im not even doing bad! Im well above average but they make me feel so below average sometimes..

I know tons of proffesional occupations that you don't need a perfect 4.0 GPA for. Most civil engineers only need to know Math well, the class I got a D in was Biology..I dont want to be a biologist or anything to do with science so why would it effect my future...my parents are so irrational.

What do your parents think about your grades?

My parents are at the point where they just don't care anymore. They were taught like everyone else to have some sort of high expectations for me and my siblings which we had to live up to in a stoic sort of way. Not as great as your regulatory yuppies from hell, but nonetheless in the yuppie group.

But I weened my way out of it, by getting F's and C's consistently, downgrading to a charter school and downgrading from that to an unschooling situation where I was "definitely going to college." Now that I am refusing to attend college, they're utterly dissapointed and have no interest in crunching numbers that somehow determine my success.

Success is just an abstract idea. It won't make you happy. It won't make you feel good like people make it out to be. There are a few certain ways you can be happy, and those are: Fucking, eating, working out, and doing something you enjoy, even if you're a dirt poor son of a bitch because of it.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
10-17-2008 02:01 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Quote:Fucking

The only reason I continue to live.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-17-2008 11:48 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Stratovarius Wrote:

Then you're going to have a sad miserable life.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-17-2008 11:56 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

liq3 Wrote:
Stratovarius Wrote:

Suspicious

10-18-2008 12:33 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:What do your parents think about your grades?
They bribed me to get a B average for "just in case" I ever want to attend university. Well, it's 8 years later and I still don't wanna. The only use I've had for that B average was to get into a silly college web design course which didn't manage to teach me much of anything, and I haven't gotten any kind of regular job with that qualification either. So, in short, it has been completely useless so far. If I ever do find a use for it, I'll be sure to let you guys know. Razz

I did sort of consider taking a psychology course for a while, and that required that you have a C average in maths. Maths... psychology... there is very little logic involved in the human psyche. So I don't really see the connection. Giggle

But yeah, people panic. Good luck using your C in maths to figure out what for.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-18-2008 05:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PunchingYou Offline
Revolutionary

i wish i has c in math instead of 43%...

but then that is just math, i pwn in everything not involving numbers/complex calculations though..

JESUS SAVES... ON THE PRICE OF DETERGALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!
10-18-2008 08:02 AM
maxh Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

"Stratovarius Wrote:They think it's everything of course, and so do 99% of people you will meet in 1st world Western society.

And therefore, for those in western "society", it is.

Carla Franklin has never denied that on the afternoon of the third of August 2006 she raped and killed sixteen children celebrating their friend's fifth birthday and forced their parents to share a dinner of their remains.

If a teacher you don't know tries to bust you for something, just tell them "Jsem výměnný student, nemluvím anglicky. Tak jdi do prdele ty posranej hajzle, tvoje matka je kurva!", then send me money.
10-20-2008 03:45 AM
chibichibibear Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I will say that grades are kind of important. At least in my case, I'll be more behind and in a worse state if I fail any year than if I was to drop out completely. So I try to pass, and then of course "You can do better" so I try for B's.

My parents care a lot about my grades. I just got the first progress report and it was all F's(except one A!) and they flipped for a tiny bit. Now if I want anything, or want to do anything my dad's response is usually something like "Well you don't deserve that unless you get rid of those F's" "Go to school and maybe." He's the one who is always complaining to me about how I'm doing in school. My mom is concerned but doesn't bug me about it.
My best friend is also pretty bad. He'll call me and make sure I did my homework "You've gotta pass, and at least get a C. Don't try for the minimum!" He is really concerned and wants me to go to college, but man do I want to strangle him sometimes ^.^

And I would like to go to college myself, although I have no idea what I want to study. But I'll be damned if some GPA ruins my chances of doing whatever I want to do in life!
Although I basically ruined my life in 2 years. 9th and 10th were awful, and now this is even worse so far. I think that stupid number is going to kill me >.<

Your parents sound completely horrible katakana. A 3.7? Me and most of the people I know would sell you their soul for a 3.7.

Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician and writer.

My posts are usually lengthy, and I can't help it much... Sorry.
10-20-2008 05:44 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

You do realize colleges are only going to look at your grades for the last year's report you got before you apply at said college... right? So just pass with the bare minimum until you get to that point, and then get the highest grades you can muster. Don't waste your effort on the other years.

Because I took a year off before college, they looked at the grades for my final year. Most people show them the grades for their second last year if they don't take a year off.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-21-2008 02:27 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:You do realize colleges are only going to look at your grades for the last year's report you got before you apply at said college... right? So just pass with the bare minimum until you get to that point, and then get the highest grades you can muster. Don't waste your effort on the other years.

Because I took a year off before college, they looked at the grades for my final year. Most people show them the grades for their second last year if they don't take a year off.
Most US universities I've looked at require the whole high school transcript.

Meh, fuck that. I'm just going to study here-colleges only look at your school leaving exam grade, if even that. The acceptance exams play the biggest role.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
10-21-2008 07:24 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Most US universities I've looked at require the whole high school transcript.
Seriously? That sucks.

Hidden stuff:
10-22-2008 05:09 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

katakana Wrote:What do your parents think about your grades?

My parents were just happy that I was in school, forget grades.

puchiko Wrote:Most US universities I've looked at require the whole high school transcript.

The way out of that is to transfer from a community college after one or two years of study. They'll still look at your highschool transcript, but your college classes will weigh more. Also if you get your associates degree at a community college, state universities automatically accept you, with few exceptions.
10-24-2008 05:14 AM
Chaotic_Punk Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Just because you don't do well in school doesn't mean your going to end up living on the street or washing cars for a living.
You could simply be better at practicle situations such as working in retail or even doing an ambition to its fullest.

But people don't want kids running around with their own ideas and dreams. But one day parents are just going to have to realize that at the end of the day, they've got their lives the way they want it. They had their chance so they shouldn't influence others to do what they never did do because everyone is different.
Everyone has different dreams and as I will always continue to say that there's so many people say "what if" but what if, your the person who actually shows the people who put you down that your capable of being independant.

School is practice for the future, practice makes perfect. Nobody’s perfect so why practice?
10-25-2008 01:42 AM
AlexFire Offline
Rebel

A good example to prove that wrong (Doing bad in School makes you a failure in life) its Albert Einstein, although there are many other examples you can use.

"I do not wish to remove from my present prison to a prison a little larger. I wish to break all prisons." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
10-25-2008 03:44 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

my dad never finished his high school, got his grade 11,joind the army, hes 57 now doing uni by corespondence, grandfather had his grade 9 at the most and he farmed and workd for the post office,on the other end of the family is dropouts and drunks
and funnly enough im trying to drop out...

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
10-25-2008 04:03 PM
Freeman Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

School is close minded. I can honestly say that America is taking the education system the wrong way. How are people going to make new scientific achievements if they are forced to say one thing is correct over and over again. One of the greatest scientists known to man (Einstein) dropped out of school and is living proof that school is very close minded. How can you think about work while you're busy thinking about bullies and the other BS in school. I myself am trying to get my parents to let me do unschooling so I can get out of this stupid system.
12-01-2008 05:13 AM
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

fuck those are good grades, my school is considered one of the best high schools in the region if not the state. yet everyone is barely passing with low C's (we dont have D's)

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
12-01-2008 06:26 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

liq3 Wrote:
Stratovarius Wrote:

Pwnt.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
12-01-2008 12:14 PM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

I hear the most BS reasons to continue with ambition in a subject.

"Why do I need to know this? Where will this apply in my future career?"

"Well, you may become an accountant or businessman. Or (the stupidest thing I've heard yet) you might need to figure out how much money you'll make in a certain period."

"First off, I don't want to be an accountant or businessman. I want to be a musician. And please don't say that I might have a change of heart, because I know what I want, I have my own passions and loves that I will never abandon. Don't say I might turn to this job because of failure, I'd rather be a broke, unsuccessful musician than a successful accountant. And even if I were to have some insane turn of interest, I could just take a college course teaching the things you teach me now using the basics I learned in primary and middle school. Second, I know it sounds like a kiddie argument, but it's logical; there are calculators, computers, others who are more interested in this field. I will never need to know this as long as I have a pocket calculator on hand."

"Well, there's always the chance that you'll switch over to this or that occupation."

"No-ho-ho there is not."

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
12-01-2008 12:42 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Yeah, reminds me of the usual "you may need to know what Beethoven's plays are! you may become a musician one day!".
Uhm, no. I do not want to be a musician. Nor a physicist. Nor a mathematician. And no, I will not reconsider.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
12-01-2008 05:30 PM
Steven Offline
Revolutionary

I'd say doing good in school makes you a failure in life, because your life is controlled by parents/school and you just obey them and do what you are told, without having your own opinions, a hobby and whatnot. I have a lot of classm8s who do more than good at school and everyday they look so stressed and tired and when I ask them "dude... r u alright?" "yea sure I'm fine..." they always try not to look like they feel. Their parents totally control their lives, one my classm8s told me that his dad installed some software on his PC that shuts down his internet connection at 11PM (i mean wtf the guy is like 18 years old he could handle himself if he had the balls to stand up for his rights and opinions and not folow other people's instructions) and I asked him "dude... why don't you try talk to your father about it..." "nah Smile that's ok" Wtf

Ofc these people will grow up to go to some university or whatever and end up working at a bank or becoming a doctor. Sooner or later they will realise what they have done is not what they wanted to do. At the moment they're like "oh yea sure I'll just listen what my dad/teacher says, adults know best"
I think you got my point.
12-01-2008 07:17 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I'd say doing good in school makes you a failure in life, because your life is controlled by parents/school and you just obey them and do what you are told, without having your own opinions, a hobby and whatnot.
I have friends who were like this. Some people just take longer to realize it than we did, but it's never too late for these people to take their lives back. It's just harder when you're so used to not having your own life, I suppose. To be honest I don't understand what it's like to actually be that way though... but I try.

Hidden stuff:
12-02-2008 01:09 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Escapist Wrote:Yeah, reminds me of the usual "you may need to know what Beethoven's plays are! you may become a musician one day!".
Uhm, no. I do not want to be a musician. Nor a physicist. Nor a mathematician. And no, I will not reconsider.

Personally, I don't even think a musician would need to know that. Eh. People should learn based on what they want, and what they love; someone else shouldn't decide that for them.

12-02-2008 06:18 AM
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Stephen Wrote:I'd say doing good in school makes you a failure in life, because your life is controlled by parents/school and you just obey them and do what you are told, without having your own opinions, a hobby and whatnot. I have a lot of classm8s who do more than good at school and everyday they look so stressed and tired and when I ask them "dude... r u alright?" "yea sure I'm fine..." they always try not to look like they feel. Their parents totally control their lives, one my classm8s told me that his dad installed some software on his PC that shuts down his internet connection at 11PM (i mean wtf the guy is like 18 years old he could handle himself if he had the balls to stand up for his rights and opinions and not folow other people's instructions) and I asked him "dude... why don't you try talk to your father about it..." "nah Smile that's ok" Wtf

Ofc these people will grow up to go to some university or whatever and end up working at a bank or becoming a doctor. Sooner or later they will realise what they have done is not what they wanted to do. At the moment they're like "oh yea sure I'll just listen what my dad/teacher says, adults know best"
I think you got my point.

there are kids like that at my school. One guy's dad put an hour and half timer on his tv and computer. Ive also noticed that a lot of the people working hard and getting good grades arent that smart (some are even rather dumb). The funny thing is that the people who are truly smarter (not textbook smart) have a much lower grade average. probably because my school gives out to much homework and they just say "fuck this shit" and do something useful with their lives.

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
12-02-2008 02:57 PM
Jen Offline
Rebel

My mum wants higher grades. But i can do only average, sometimes i have nearly failed grades. My mum wants my grades to be higher like what i have back in my first semester in my first year because i have higher grades before.
I tried to explain her that my subjects vary from semester to semester but she doesn't seem to care.But i don't do anything about it.
02-13-2009 09:53 PM
cupcakestastelikeviolence101 Offline
Defiant

Jen Wrote:My mum wants higher grades. But i can do only average, sometimes i have nearly failed grades. My mum wants my grades to be higher like what i have back in my first semester in my first year because i have higher grades before.
I tried to explain her that my subjects vary from semester to semester but she doesn't seem to care.But i don't do anything about it.

I'm in the same kind of pickle, my family says grades aren't good enough to get into a prestigious high school like that of Andover or Exeter. On top of that, they say I'll be in public school next year, as if to scare the hell out of me. School is school, private, public or in a corner. But anyways, I'm in a school for highly gifted children, so that school has really really really really really really high standards: for example, an A is an
A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++,
a B is a C, a C is an F. You get 3 C's, you're kicked out. Add that to the intense (sadistic?) amount of work that teachers give you, parental/peer pressure, and 8-hour schedule (which creates a 40-hour work week, at the age of 13, no less...), and you've got a really pissed off girl who can't take it anymore.

That would be me.

Sigh. I need a hug.

BADASS IS BADASS
02-25-2009 12:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What to do if school makes you depressed and/or suicidal SoulRiser 36 16,567 05-31-2017 10:22 PM
Last Post: MariKlemz
Lightbulb What makes a person think school is good? Lucas Gallindo 6 3,868 08-22-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  school makes you feel dumb darkmind15 25 10,314 03-08-2014 01:44 AM
Last Post: darkmind15
  Failure to complete coursework, very scared! fowlerzcat 2 2,627 06-07-2013 12:19 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  4 Ways High School Makes You Hate Reading Miller0700 11 7,872 02-11-2013 09:13 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  School Makes me want to kill myself mralexo333 10 19,985 02-08-2013 07:14 AM
Last Post: LiptomaticMate
  If I had a dollar for every mistake the school system makes... HawkbitAlpha 1 2,803 01-31-2013 09:10 AM
Last Post: Kundalini
  Your Life Outside School? EnemyOfTheState 35 10,120 09-05-2011 05:04 PM
Last Post: Elfy
  school life chaos2525 11 3,557 06-02-2009 09:23 AM
Last Post: chaos2525
  The hatred of school and my life thinking of school.Writing Reptorian 5 3,505 12-19-2008 08:55 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser