RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher
Heavy Lids Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Teacher

Hi I'm a teacher from the teacher's corner. I found this forum through a google search. I figured out that you guys were coming from one place so all I had to do was do a google search on your usernames/messages which lead me here.

I just want to say, DON'T FREAK OUT. I want to warn you I support school and judging by those other comments (and this site), I know you guys don't like it.

I am a teacher in Nebraska. I usually teach AP high school science. I like sleeping, but the parents of my children keep me awake, I hate them. I wish I could do more in my classes, but my kids are all over the place. The classes are too short. The state wants me to prepare them for tests, I don't like them. I have to answer to a school board, and they don't like it when I try to deviate from the curriculum or the schedule. It's easy to get in trouble because of the bureaucracy.

I try not to give too much homework, but when I do, it's always challenging, so that my students can learn to learn.

I have heavy lids, because of my somnolence. I practice lucid dreaming, but it's hard. My husband still thinks it's weird. Usually I just end up having nightmares about school. I like reading about offbeat things, and strange ideas. The fringe is where invention lies.

I like science, because it's one of the few places where you can find order in an otherwise chaotic world. It's one of the few places where you can find a meaningful moment through a meaningless process.

I like post-rock music, like explosions in the sky or godspeed you black emperor. Shoegazer music is good for sleeping. So is minimalism like Stars of the Lid. Smile

A meaningful moment through a meaningless process...
10-20-2008 05:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Re: Teacher

Welcome

I like Godspeed You! Black Emperor too. =P

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
10-20-2008 05:54 AM
Dragon4Anarchy Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Ok, I'm also a new member, may I ask what your point is then? If you disagree with our views yet join such a site you must have some point to make, something to say. I suppose we shall see though.
10-20-2008 05:55 AM
Heavy Lids Offline
Rebel

I'm curious about why you all hate school so much. It seems like an exaggeration.

School can be made better, if the teachers and students work together. I don't see this happening though because students always seem to be apathetic about changing anything, but then they complain about it when they don't like it.

My opinion comes from experience.

10-20-2008 06:02 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Welcome

It's awesome to have you here. But just a warning: not everyone here is mature enough to except you being here (similar to some in the teachers corner), so try to be patient please.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-20-2008 06:03 AM
Dragon4Anarchy Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Heavy Lids Wrote:I'm curious about why you all hate school so much. It seems like an exaggeration.

School can be made better, if the teachers and students work together. I don't see this happening though because students always seem to be apathetic about changing anything, but then they complain about it when they don't like it.

My opinion comes from experience.

Experience of children in school against their will, it is human nature to defy what is forced, and as everyone will learn I do not accept coercion in any way shape or form. Kids hate school for good reasons, it being forced upon them is good enough in my opinion, school being deadening indoctrination being another.
10-20-2008 06:07 AM
Heavy Lids Offline
Rebel

If you don't like it, then drop out, that's not my problem. You're allowed to be homeschooled.

10-20-2008 06:13 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Heavy Lids Wrote:Hi I'm a teacher from the teacher's corner.
hehe...ooooh *awkward silence*

Quote:I am a teacher in Nebraska. I usually teach AP high school science.
interesting. what kind of science? bio, chem, physics...?
Quote:The fringe is where invention lies.
well, welcome to the fringiest fringe you'll find around here.

Quote:I like science, because it's one of the few places where you can find order in an otherwise chaotic world. It's one of the few places where you can find a meaningful moment through a meaningless process.

eh, I think chaos and disorder get a bad rap. and science can be used to generate both, believe me.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
10-20-2008 06:17 AM
Heavy Lids Offline
Rebel

Chemistry. Smile

Actually I also teach math sometimes...forgot to mention that. At one point in my life, I wanted to pursue a phd, but then life happened and I have my master's degree and teaching certification.

10-20-2008 06:22 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Nice, my year of chemistry was pretty cool. (Not like bio, when all my work was stolen by members of the soccer and swimming teams who said they'd beat me to death in the locker room if I told anyone.)
Did you ever do the lab with exploding hydrogen balloons? That was awesome. I know a lot of schools are severely cutting their lab budgets, which really sucks since I've always loved science. Has that been a problem for you?

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
10-20-2008 06:36 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Great... another akdonn?

The only good signature is a dead signature.
10-20-2008 06:37 AM
Cory Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

26 Wrote:Great... another akdonn?
Doesn't seem like it.

Welcome, glad to have you here!

<&Darthmat> Cory, you ecxell me in phpBB3, I will mail you a dollar.
10-20-2008 06:41 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

No, akdonn would have filled up every post with gratuitous clipart by now. I think this guy's cool.

10-20-2008 06:41 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Cory Wrote:
26 Wrote:Great... another akdonn?
Doesn't seem like it.

Welcome, glad to have you here!
Okay... I just has a short attention span and tend not to read the whole post.

I also hate it when people don't split their posts into paragraphs, but I guess that's kind of irrelevant.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
10-20-2008 06:44 AM
Heavy Lids Offline
Rebel

Quote:Did you ever do the lab with exploding hydrogen balloons? That was awesome. I know a lot of schools are severely cutting their lab budgets, which really sucks since I've always loved science. Has that been a problem for you?

We've been cutting back on everything, and with the economy tanking, schools are going to have less and less funding. This wouldn't be a problem if schools weren't wasting it.

Also, a small hydrogen filled balloon makes a nice fire cracker.

And I'm a woman, not a "guy". Smile

10-20-2008 06:48 AM
Avenger Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

WELCOME! you seem like one of the good teachers out there.

Telling people to do something without giving a reason compels them to rebel not to obey-Avenger

We need to learn not to be afraid of making mistakes all the time-Avenger

FACTS OF LIFE:
1.life sucks most of the time
2.sex is natural and it feels good
3.everybody can be an asshole
4.most people are idiots
10-20-2008 06:57 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Ok, first hello. Even tho I hate school I know teachers can be cool as well (mostly the seem to hate school more than I do...). You have asked why do we hate school.
-waking up around 5.40 after 4-5 h of sleep.
-getting on a tram = 40 min ride
-first lesson (but gennerally all day) thinking about skateboarding, trying to forget I am at school. When I have lessons with older guy/women I am trying to read some book (my friends mostly listeans to mp3).
-after school starts classes I actualy enjoy (japanese, photography workshops) so I have to stay focused.
-getting home around 7-9pm = skateboarding.
I pass all my classes by cheating or just getting straight D's (who cares anyway), so when I can I am skipping them (I have to be present on at least 50% of them). It is "good" school with uniforms and everything. I've been working my ass off for 3 years to get there, now I am gonna rest. So to make it short... school is a camp that makes... or rather made me suffer now it is awsome since I am going to cinema, reading books, rideing a skateboard etc. We have to memorise and then forget to memorise more stuff, which we do to satisfy our parents. That post is... I think you got my point.

[Edit]
When I think about it I like ethics (once a week 2 hours).

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
10-20-2008 07:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hi there Smile

You sound interesting.

As for why people don't like school, it's generally mainly because it's compulsory, and if you don't want to go, the only real way out is to get your parents' permission (they have to register you for homeschooling or whatever else you want to do)... not a lot of parents seem willing to do that. So technically, if there weren't so many ignorant and/or stupid parents in the world, school wouldn't be a problem 'cause no decent parent would blatanly disregard their kids' needs and feelings by forcing them to go to school when there are alternatives that would work better. So it's really not quite as simple as "just drop out". It takes a lot of guts to do something like that when you know you're not going to have anyone's support, and you'll literally be out on your own without anywhere to go or anyone who understands you. Not a lot of people can do that.

If school wasn't compulsory, they'd have to take the student's wants and needs into account, otherwise students would easily be able to boycott that school, and go to a better one. This is common sense in business, but schools have virtually no real competition, so they have no incentive to do any better. Tests and standards just make it worse by stifling any creative solutions that might have made it better.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-21-2008 12:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cp Offline
~crazy~

Welcome to the site! You seem like one of them cool teachers; very interesting. Biggrin

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein
[Image: new.gif]
10-21-2008 12:52 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Heavy Lids Wrote:Hi I'm a teacher from the teacher's corner. I found this forum through a google search. I figured out that you guys were coming from one place so all I had to do was do a google search on your usernames/messages which lead me here.

I just want to say, DON'T FREAK OUT. I want to warn you I support school and judging by those other comments (and this site), I know you guys don't like it.

I am a teacher in Nebraska. I usually teach AP high school science. I like sleeping, but the parents of my children keep me awake, I hate them. I wish I could do more in my classes, but my kids are all over the place. The classes are too short. The state wants me to prepare them for tests, I don't like them. I have to answer to a school board, and they don't like it when I try to deviate from the curriculum or the schedule. It's easy to get in trouble because of the bureaucracy.

I try not to give too much homework, but when I do, it's always challenging, so that my students can learn to learn.

I have heavy lids, because of my somnolence. I practice lucid dreaming, but it's hard. My husband still thinks it's weird. Usually I just end up having nightmares about school. I like reading about offbeat things, and strange ideas. The fringe is where invention lies.

I like science, because it's one of the few places where you can find order in an otherwise chaotic world. It's one of the few places where you can find a meaningful moment through a meaningless process.

I like post-rock music, like explosions in the sky or godspeed you black emperor. Shoegazer music is good for sleeping. So is minimalism like Stars of the Lid. Smile

Your not the first teacher. Your the next gen of akdon.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
10-21-2008 01:26 PM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Please, don't stereotype teachers in that way. I had a wonderful teacher once; Her name was Mrs Jagger, and she tought maths and geography. When I left the school, she burned me a CD of Eva Cassidy because I said I liked it. You remind me of her, Lids, so I like you.

You do get some really silly teachers, but you get some nice ones too; I don't hate school, I hate the people who I share my classrooms with. Oh, and homework.

Welcome, Lids. Watch out for the prejudiced ones, and keep your eyes open. Oh, and watch out for the occasional shock image; It happens occasionally, usually on hugday.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
10-21-2008 09:50 PM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Quote:Please, don't stereotype teachers in that way
Yeah, it is more anti-school site than anti teachers I guess. I am aganist school as an institution it is now.

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
10-22-2008 03:25 AM
Alucard483 Offline
Site Mod

Given 92 thank(s) in 65 post(s)

Welcome, sorry to be so late in greeting you. you seem to be a very inteligent person with a good grasp of things. Your OP is too far down the quote box to be direct, but I belive that you asked what we disliked about school? Personaly I dislike the fact that it is compulsatory. Even if it was not I would still go, but at my own leasure, thus making me more attentive and more eager to learn. Personaly I think it should be compulsatory up until the end of 5th grade. After 5th grade you hardly learn anything that you will use ever again in life. I havent. It gets even worse in highschool but better at the same time by being able to choose clases. I belive that in order to learn, they have to be intrested in the subject, if forced they will resist and end up not learning, so by putting the ability to go to school compleatly in the hands of the student will increase learning. A common rebutal is that then nobody will go. Wrong! If you have a dream of being somthing and if school will help you get there, people will go. I want/wanted to be a chef. I took food classes and math relating to food. I would have taken these even if I did not have to go, however other classes that I had no desire to take took away from the classes I did like. Currently I am in culinary school acheiving this dream. I have yet to use any of the things I did not wish to learn.

Whilst some work diligently there are those who ask why. I am one of them
(\__/) This is Bunny. Paste Bunny into your signature
(='.'=) to help him gain world domination.
(")_(")
Soul#2: I already have a grip. Doc:and a porno mag and a tube of lube I'm sure"
Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
This has been a test of the emergency pointless argument system. Had this been a real pointless argument, someone would have been called a facist.
Ceiling Cat: For that you need to wear a fursuit, though.

Inside sources say that Carla Franklin has had more dick in her than a public urinal.
10-22-2008 04:35 AM
Kasahi Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Heavy Lids Wrote:I am a teacher in Nebraska. I usually teach AP high school science.
An AP Teacher eh? Although I'm no longer in High School, I'm guessing that you really don't deal with the the load of BS that some teachers in regular classes deal with like babysitting let's say kids who weren't raised right, breaking fights, drug activity, and some other crap. You probably have it good with all the responsible and civil students that you have, but not everybody (teachers and students) gets that kind of luxury in school.
10-23-2008 08:31 AM
Heavy Lids Offline
Rebel

Kasahi Wrote:
Heavy Lids Wrote:I am a teacher in Nebraska. I usually teach AP high school science.
An AP Teacher eh? Although I'm no longer in High School, I'm guessing that you really don't deal with the the load of BS that some teachers in regular classes deal with like babysitting let's say kids who weren't raised right, breaking fights, drug activity, and some other crap. You probably have it good with all the responsible and civil students that you have, but not everybody (teachers and students) gets that kind of luxury in school.

John Gatto is a good example of someone making it work.

Also, I work in a bad part of town in Omaha, and thus in a bad school. I guess being in AP does make it all a lot easier for me.

10-23-2008 09:16 AM
Lucie Offline
Revolutionary

Hi and welcome, you deserve extra credit for bothering to join a site like this. Most of us here can't be homeschooled or don't want to be, homeschooling is a big comitment of parents.

Fuck McCain
10-24-2008 06:15 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I decided to blow up the act. I'm Heavy Lids guys. Sorry. :(

See post in general talk. I don't wanna post much anymore due to recent events. I'm scared.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-24-2008 12:52 PM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

wait huh?
damn i was just about to say hi...

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
10-24-2008 01:15 PM
The Anti-Freedom Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

The thing I can't stant about school (especially High School) is that it's so damn useless. I don't know where I'm supposed to use the Lateral Area of a Hexagonical Pyramid in real life.

But I've got no problems with teachers, you're okay I suppose. Some of them are just horrible, however. A few bad ones will ruin the reputation of all of them.
10-26-2008 12:07 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

The Anti-Freedom Wrote:The thing I can't stant about school (especially High School) is that it's so damn useless. I don't know where I'm supposed to use the Lateral Area of a Hexagonical Pyramid in real life.

But I've got no problems with teachers, you're okay I suppose. Some of them are just horrible, however. A few bad ones will ruin the reputation of all of them.

You're doing it wrong.

Heavy Lids = Stratovarius.

Lurk moar.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-26-2008 12:23 PM