RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dad's verbal threats
Rebel Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
My dad's verbal threats

Everytime I do something wrong or something that he doesn't like he starts saying things suck as:You won't be a good person when you grow up,You eat shit,You don't know how to be a good student(WTF?),you're garbage and etc.He also relates to my worst subject...Math everytime I do calculations wrong or a Math problem wrong,he starts saying no wonder you suck at math...stuff like that.

And like everytime he say those things it just annoys me and pisses me off and sometimes it kills my self esteem which leads to me doing horrible at school...which makes this whole thing full circle again.Don't bother trying to reason with him either because if you do he just says something like "Back in the days I had no one to reason with and it was waaaay harder than the situation you're living in right now...End of Discussion

Help?!?!?! anyone???!?!? suggestions?!?!?!?!

[Image: 699e40813eb030e49d372a2a9064d70160ccc49c.png]
10-24-2008 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: My dad's verbal threats

kill him, at dinner, just walk to the kitchen, grab a chef's knife from the woodblock on the counter, come back into dining room and procede..

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
10-24-2008 01:44 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

First, you'll need to accept the fact that you can't please everyone and everyone won't like you. In reality, the world is a cruel and vicious and people are all out there to bring you down through physical and psychological tactics. Therefore, you'll need to protect yourself. (Which school doesn't teach with all their ga-ga about being nice even though what they're turning you is into a pushover.) Don't let him get to you, fight back. Fight back twice as hard. Sure he's your dad, but does he know how to be a good dad? No. Your dad is a is cursed with ignorance so don't care what he has to say. It may take conscious effort but what everyone says: "ITS MY LIFE!!!". He claims hes "right" but really plain ignorant. So be strong and don't tell your self-respect into a punchbag. Continue your life with your own hands.

To keep is simple: You got someone to prove wrong. Biggrin

*Just recently read "Thing Big and Kick Ass in Business and Life" by Donald Trump.*
10-24-2008 02:27 PM
delop Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Your dad sounds like a homosexual
10-24-2008 02:40 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

My dad does EXACTLY the same thing and he threatens me to force me to do stuff for him for free(like fixing his friends comps and stealing my pay). My self-esteem just went down a drain last school year so i stopped listening to him(Because i am apparently a piece of shit that's worth nothing at life for having a 75% average at school.).

Yesterday he nearly yelled at me because i changed my contact lenses after a month like the optician said i should, saying that the optician is just looking to scam me and make me buy more while the whole internet says i could damage my eyes permanently if i wear them more than a month and eye surgery would have to occur.

I can't believe he values 150$ over a life's sight. He's what he is, a ignorant know-it-all big mouthed newbie.
10-24-2008 09:56 PM
delop Offline
Rebel

Maybe you just need to mature, school is a nice place to be if you can put in the effort
10-24-2008 09:57 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

delop Wrote:Maybe you just need to mature, school is a nice place to be if you can put in the effort

Maybe you just need to learn to read the actual topic's posts before posting
10-24-2008 09:58 PM
delop Offline
Rebel

KitsuneSefam Wrote:
delop Wrote:Maybe you just need to mature, school is a nice place to be if you can put in the effort

Maybe you need to realise that you're working towards flipping burgers for the rest of your life. You need to grow up and be a man, stop crying like a baby.
10-24-2008 10:00 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

delop Wrote:
KitsuneSefam Wrote:

Maybe you need to realise that you're working towards flipping burgers for the rest of your life. You need to grow up and be a man, stop crying like a baby.

Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Guys, this troll is hilarious
10-24-2008 10:02 PM
delop Offline
Rebel

KitsuneSefam Wrote:Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Guys, this troll is hilarious

Your attemps at painting me as a troll are fruitless. You are attacking me and not my argument, which is a logical failure. Please get off the internet and accept that you'll be making a living as a garbage man.
10-24-2008 10:07 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

its attacking you AND your argument as your arguments are often troll-like arguments and statements.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
10-24-2008 11:06 PM
delop Offline
Rebel

therenagadeoffunk Wrote:its attacking you AND your argument as your arguments are often troll-like arguments and statements.

Wow ur smart
10-24-2008 11:08 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

delop Wrote:
therenagadeoffunk Wrote:its attacking you AND your argument as your arguments are often troll-like arguments and statements.

Wow ur smart
Said the kettle to the pot.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-24-2008 11:09 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

the fuck man im not a troll

10-24-2008 11:11 PM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

delop Wrote:
KitsuneSefam Wrote:

Damn! Liq3 was right! You are a troll.
10-25-2008 12:18 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I don't even have the energy to type up a response to the arguments debunked hundreds of times already. I'm just copying and pasting the FAQ, sometimes accompanying that with my personal comments.

delop Wrote:Your dad sounds like a homosexual
Uh, there was nothing in Rebel's post to indicate his father's sexual orientation. You appear to be using homosexual as a general term for people you don't like.

FAQ Wrote:School is fun! You're just being overly negative for no good reason!

I'm glad you enjoyed school. Good for you. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky. Some people get bullied every day while there. Some people have no friends because they're more mature than everyone else in the nearby vicinity and don't want to associate with those morons. Some people recognize that they aren't really learning anything useful in class and would rather be somewhere else where they CAN learn something useful and/or interesting. These people are frustrated because they are forced to be in school regardless of whether or not it's useful to them.

School is not a nice place to be. It's an extremely stressful and frustrating environment. Not to mention a complete waste of time.

delop Wrote:Maybe you need to realise that you're working towards flipping burgers for the rest of your life. You need to grow up and be a man, stop crying like a baby.

Quote:As much as you hate school, it's for your own good. Without a diploma you'll never get anywhere.

So you're saying that enduring 12 years of pointless hell just for a diploma is worth it? That's pretty sad. I guess you don't know there are better ways to get a diploma or the equivalent of one.

Quote:If you don't go to school you'll be on the streets begging for money from those who did.
See above. Also see list of people who dropped out but became "successful" anyway.

Quote:You cannot possibly hate school. School is the only source for you to have a good life and be rich.
There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin. First of all, even if it were true that "School is the only source for you to have a good life and be rich", that doesn't make it impossible to hate it. People are perfectly capable of hating pretty much anything. Secondly, define a "good life"? You can have a good life without being rich, right? It depends on what you want to do with your life. Finally, school does not automatically guarantee that anyone will be rich. See this list of people who dropped out but became "successful" (by society's standards, anyway).
KitsuneSefam Wrote:Yesterday he nearly yelled at me because i changed my contact lenses after a month like the optician said i should, saying that the optician is just looking to scam me and make me buy more while the whole internet says i could damage my eyes permanently if i wear them more than a month and eye surgery would have to occur.

I can't believe he values 150$ over a life's sight. He's what he is, a ignorant know-it-all big mouthed newbie.
First of all Kitsune, I'm sorry for you Hug I hope things turn out all right in the end. Just a thought though, if contacts cost 150$ a month, have you considered glasses?

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
10-25-2008 12:31 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Puchiko Wrote:First of all Kitsune, I'm sorry for you Hug I hope things turn out all right in the end. Just a thought though, if contacts cost 150$ a month, have you considered glasses?

It costs 150 to 200$ a year to wear contact lenses.
10-25-2008 07:05 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

delop Wrote:Please get off the internet and accept that you'll be making a living as a garbage man.
Garbage men actually get pretty good pay.
10-25-2008 08:20 AM
maxh Offline
Revolutionary

delop Wrote:Your attemps (sic) at painting me as a troll are fruitless. You are attacking me and not my argument, which is a logical failure (sic).

Sounds like someone hasn't read a logic book. There are two types of ad hominem (well, there's many depending on how you divide them, but there's two that are important here): justified and unjustified. Although an unjustified ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy (not failure, btw), a justified ad hominem is perfectly accepted with logical debate. Saying that you are a troll is justified.

Carla Franklin has never denied that on the afternoon of the third of August 2006 she raped and killed sixteen children celebrating their friend's fifth birthday and forced their parents to share a dinner of their remains.

If a teacher you don't know tries to bust you for something, just tell them "Jsem výměnný student, nemluvím anglicky. Tak jdi do prdele ty posranej hajzle, tvoje matka je kurva!", then send me money.
10-26-2008 12:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Not everyone who disagrees is a troll.
10-26-2008 04:33 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

WTF? Splitting this refuses to work for some reason.

Anyway...

Just ignore your dad. He's obviously not very intelligent and/or mature, and doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. And yeah, the FAQ might make you feel more confident enough to help you ignore him.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-26-2008 07:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebel Offline
Rebel

SoulRiser Wrote:WTF? Splitting this refuses to work for some reason.

Anyway...

Just ignore your dad. He's obviously not very intelligent and/or mature, and doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. And yeah, the FAQ might make you feel more confident enough to help you ignore him.
Well,my dad actually is very intelligent...but not in the emotional way.He can be nice sometimes if you do what he wants and if it pleases him.Other than that its what I mentioned in this topic,like him saying crap about me and shit.

10-26-2008 01:45 PM
Rebel Offline
Rebel

To support people who were homeschooled and were successful...Summer Glau was also homeschooled and now look at her success. Yes

10-26-2008 01:49 PM
Number11 Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I know it's hard because you probably want your dad's approval even though he's a big Poop , but don't try to please him if it conflicts with who you are and the truth you know.

Anyway, the reason for his asshole-ism is because he is afraid for you and can't see past the lies school indoctrinated him with, so he believes and perpetuates them.

[Image: th-9_just-douche-it-adbusters.jpg]
10-29-2008 12:08 PM
Number11 Offline
Renegade

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Quote:delop said
Your attemps at painting me as a troll are fruitless. You are attacking me and not my argument, which is a logical failure. Please get off the internet and accept that you'll be making a living as a garbage man.

Quote:From http://www.logicalfallacies.info/fallacistsfallacy.html

Fallacist's Fallacy

Explanation
The fallacist's fallacy involves rejecting an idea as false simply because the argument offered for it is fallacious. Having examined the case for a particular point of view, and found it wanting, it can be tempting to conclude that the point of view is false. This, however, would be to go beyond the evidence.

It is possible to offer a fallacious argument for any proposition, including those that are true. One could argue that 2+2=4 on the basis of an appeal to authority: "Simon Singh says that 2+2=4". Or one could argue that taking paracetamol relieves headaches using a post hoc: "I took the paracetamol and then my headache went away; it worked!"

Each of these bad arguments has a true conclusion. A proposition therefore should not be dismissed because one argument offered in its favour is faulty.

In other words, even though the end does not justify the means, the end in this case is correct. And the end is what we're arguing, not the means.

Also
Quote:delop said
Your dad sounds like a homosexual

So, let's see. You accuse Rebel of the ad hominem fallacy after you use it.

So that's either hypocrisy, circular argument, or schizophrenia...or actually, a very successful distraction tactic, dang. Laugh

[Image: th-9_just-douche-it-adbusters.jpg]
10-29-2008 12:34 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Rebel Wrote:Everytime I do something wrong or something that he doesn't like he starts saying things suck as:You won't be a good person when you grow up,You eat shit,You don't know how to be a good student(WTF?),you're garbage and etc.He also relates to my worst subject...Math everytime I do calculations wrong or a Math problem wrong,he starts saying no wonder you suck at math...stuff like that.

And like everytime he say those things it just annoys me and pisses me off and sometimes it kills my self esteem which leads to me doing horrible at school...which makes this whole thing full circle again.Don't bother trying to reason with him either because if you do he just says something like "Back in the days I had no one to reason with and it was waaaay harder than the situation you're living in right now...End of Discussion

Help?!?!?! anyone???!?!? suggestions?!?!?!?!

Don't let him affect how you feel about yourself,

It's natural to care about what your parents think of you, but if it comes to a point where all they are doing is constantly pulling you down, you have to let go of the "need" to please them. You have to let go of their expectations of you.

It is hard to do that though, but remember that you know what's best for yourself, and maybe someday you'll prove that you were right. You'll need to promise yourself that you WILL amout to something whether they think so or not. You have a future whether they think so or not.

If you let yourself be pulled down, if you accept their image of you, then wouldn't you BECOME that image? How would you be better off?

Your self-esteem is part of your image of yourself, it is the armor of you personality, it clothes who you are. It can be damaged only by your instincts, your phobias, and the things that are most important to you. Alowing someone to strip you of your self-esteem is like alowing someone to tear the shirt off your back, like alowing an enemy to take off your armor on the field of battle, leaving your soul naked to the spears and arrows of others. No good would come of it, there are times to take off your armor, of course, but not with someone you'll get riped to shreads by.

Why should you alow yourself to care about what parents say? Care about your own path and your own ideas, and let your future prove your parent's words wrong.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-31-2008 10:42 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

BTW:

I'm with Liq3 about Delop, he's is oviosly a troll, look at every post Delop has written...

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
10-31-2008 10:45 AM