RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The economy hits broadway.
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
The economy hits broadway.

My dislocated peers, I come with news that bothers me greatly.

I have never been a great fan of broadway plays, I find the wholesome overly eccentric characters to be dull and one dimensional. But recently my girlfriend has taken me to an awe inspiring play. Spring Awakening. I have seen many broadway plays, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Phantom of The Opera, RENT, Suessical, Spamalot, Cats, Chicago, and many more as well as off broadway productions. I have seen these plays mostly out of a futile attempt to add a sense of culture into my life, and yet, I have enjoyed these plays but not one has made me think. Not one has created true characters and related them to lives of real people, real circumstances, in short a play that represented our generation has always been lacking.

That is, until I saw Spring Awakening. This play, is our generation.

SPRING AWAKENING takes its inspiration from one of literature’s most controversial masterpieces – a work so daring in its depiction of teenage self-discovery, it was banned from the stage and not performed in its complete form in English for nearly 100 years.

It’s Germany, 1891. A world where the grown-ups hold all the cards. The beautiful young Wendla explores the mysteries of her body, and wonders aloud where babies come from, till Mama tells her to shut it, and put on a proper dress. Elsewhere, the brilliant and fearless young Melchior interrupts a mind-numbing Latin drill to defend his buddy Moritz – a boy so traumatized by puberty he can’t concentrate on anything. Not that the Headmaster cares. He strikes them both and tells them to turn in their lesson. One afternoon – in a private place in the woods – Melchior and Wendla meet by accident, and soon find within themselves a desire unlike anything they’ve ever felt. As they fumble their way into one another’s arms, Moritz flounders and soon fails out of school. When even his one adult friend, Melchior’s mother, ignores his plea for help, he is left so distraught he can’t hear the promise of life offered by his outcast friend Ilse. Naturally, the Headmasters waste no time in pinning the “crime” of Moritz’s suicide on Melchior and expel him. And soon Mama learns her little Wendla is pregnant. Now the young lovers must struggle against all odds to build a world together for their child.

I'll not spoil the play any more then that, but the lyrics of the songs speak to our time, the play won best musical last year and won at least a dozen other awards.

All That's Known, an original song from Spring Awakening.
Hidden stuff:
All that's known
In History, in Science
Overthrown
At school, at home, by blind men

You doubt them
And soon they bark and hound you-
Till everything you say is just another bad about you

All they say
Is "Trust in What is Written"
Wars are made
And somehow that is wisdom

Thought is suspect
And money is their idol
And nothing is okay unless it's scripted in their Bible

But I know
There's so much more to find-
Just in looking through myself
And not at them

Still, I know
To trust my own true mind
And to say: there's a way through this

On I go
To wonder and to learning
Name the stars and know their dark returning

I'm calling
To know the world's true yearning-
The hunger that a child feels for everything they're shown

You watch me-
Just watch me-
I'm calling
And one day all will know

The Bitch of Living - An original song from Spring Awakening
Hidden stuff:
God, I dreamed there was an angel
Who could hear me through the wall
As I cried out-like, in Latin
"This is so not life at all
Help me out-out-of this nightmare"
Then I heard her silver call-
She said: "Just give it time, kid
I come to one and all"

She said: "Give me that hand, please
And the itch you can't control
Let me teach you how to handle
All the sadness in your soul
Oh, we'll work that silver magic
Then we'll aim it at the wall"
She said: "Love may make you blind kid-
But I wouldn't mind at all"

It's the bitch of living
(Bitch, just a bitch)
With nothing but your hand
(Just a bitch, yeah)
Just the bitch of living
As someone you can't stand

See, each night, it's like fantastic-
Tossing, turning, without rest
'Cause my days at the piano
With my teacher and her breasts;
And the music's like the one thing
I can even get at all
And those breasts!
I mean, God, please
Just let those apples fall

It's the bitch of living
(ah, ah, ah)
With nothing going on
(Nothing going on)
Just the bitch of living
Asking: what went wrong?

And now it is closing due to the lack of people willing to spend money on a musical.

The question is, how do you save a whole musical?

I have no idea, thats why I put it up. Any and all suggestions would help?

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-26-2008 03:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: The economy hits broadway.

this

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
10-26-2008 04:14 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Now I want to see it. D:

And how did you see The Lion King, and it not take your breath away? And Chicago was quite good. RENT was... awesomeastic.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-26-2008 09:09 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

fuck plays, fuck brodway, fuck newyork and its jew harboring 9/11 using to forward itself ass.
fuck newyork

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
10-26-2008 09:21 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

therenagadeoffunk Wrote:I'm a total attention whore, and instead of acting like a normal drone and wear stuff like Hollister, I choose to act more hardcore and pretend to hate everyone and everything, which practically amount to the same thing!
Please shut up.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-26-2008 10:42 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Darthmat Wrote:
therenagadeoffunk Wrote:I'm a total attention whore, and instead of acting like a normal drone and wear stuff like Hollister, I choose to act more hardcore and pretend to hate everyone and everything, which practically amount to the same thing!
Please shut up.

For once, I'm gonna back you up on this.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-26-2008 10:46 AM
chibichibibear Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Chicago is really good, and Rent is amazing. I love rent, so that closing really hurt. But the tour is coming around do I have time to see a good production one last time. I've got that!

Then when I heard SA was closing, I just wanted to cry... I never got to see it(the tour just came and went, I couldn't get enough money), and now I'm almost certain I never will. Ow, open wound right there.

And honestly, with stupid prices of everything going up, of course theatre would be one of the first things to go. People have to spend money on food and clothes, theatre just isn't as important. We can't really save a dying industry when people have much bigger things to worry about. Like the poor people who made their living on Broadway and are now going to lose jobs because people SUCK.

I'm not sure there is anything that can save SA. Or any of the other shows that just recently closed. There has been a lot.

Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician and writer.

My posts are usually lengthy, and I can't help it much... Sorry.
10-26-2008 11:22 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

[Image: spamalot.jpg]
FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
10-26-2008 12:26 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Darthmat Wrote:
Please shut up.

mange merde jew boy

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
10-26-2008 01:36 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

The lion king just didn't seem to take my breath away. Rent was good, but I feel like it was talking to a different generation.

Still, the only way I see it, people filling out every night for spring awakening is the only way it can remain in business...and I doubt it would happen without proper television advertisements again.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
10-28-2008 10:21 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

I'd never heard of it until you posted it, actually.

10-28-2008 10:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Greece develops cashless, Euro-free currency in tight economy HeartofShadows 51 11,443 03-23-2012 07:39 AM
Last Post: thewake
  How to understand the economy(american) psychopath 10 2,937 03-26-2009 05:25 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Economy and Conspiracies? Blue Sky 14 3,078 11-27-2008 12:41 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Broadway-Chicago Darthmat 29 2,753 08-09-2007 03:48 PM
Last Post: Guest