RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I learned in school.
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
What I learned in school.

I just had the thought "What did I really learn in school that I use today?". I thought I'd share it here.

I think we can start with reading. I use reading. I use math quite a bit too. Nothing more complicated then algebra though.

That's pretty much it though. Everything else I use today, I learned through experience, or from another source (internet ftw).

That's really small. I thought there might be more. Really kind of sad, that I wasted so much time in school. Those things I mentioned do not account for the 14,000 hours I spent in school, or school related activities (getting there). 14,000 hours is around 1 year and 7 months 24/7, or 10 years of school. It takes 10,000 hours to become a virtuoso, so I have very little to show for those 14,000 hours I spent in school.

As for life skills, I learned most of these from reading books and such in the past 3-4 years, and from pure experience. School has contributed nothing to my life skills, and in my opinion spent a rather lot of time trying to destroy them.

I never realised how much a waste of time school really was until now.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-26-2008 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Re: What I learned in school.

Welcome to the club.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-26-2008 02:27 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Did you seriously learn reading in school? Most people learn it at home, far before they get to school.
10-26-2008 02:31 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I learned it in school.
Probably the most useful thing I ever learned there.

10-26-2008 02:37 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

I learned how to get picked on in school and try to make a funny in the middle of class and fail miserably. So miserably that people had a hard time laughing at me, so it's just quiet. That's when you know you're a fucktard.

I also learned how to be that kid at lunch that everyone picks on while I try to pretend I don't care by laughing, but in reality I just had no spine and I would try to laugh at myself and share in the lulz with them. The truth was, I was a spineless, pathetic, fucktard that was only making the situation worse. Sometimes I try to stand up for myself, but then I just end up laughing for one reason or another, as they quickly push me to the ground and pour milk on my crotch area so it looks like I pissed myself.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-26-2008 02:48 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

I know how that feels Strat.
I need to hang out with my real friends more often...

10-26-2008 02:52 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i learnd how to go without eye contact with people, to stare at the floor when i talk, to ditch class whenever, to sneak a toke in class, to get expelled,to find difrent ways to commit suicide, though yet to carry it out, ive learned to hate, though it was somewhat always there, etc,etc,etc.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
10-26-2008 05:19 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I learned a lot of goodies.
History, the complexities of the Egnlish language, some Spanish, philosophy, some psychology, stuff about other religions, math, science, and other things that came up in discussion but don't come to the top of my head.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-26-2008 09:58 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Ever since I finished primary school, everything I've learned, I've learned myself.
10-26-2008 10:16 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Main thing I learned in school is that there are a lot of people out there who need someone to talk to who will actually take them seriously.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-26-2008 10:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I've learned that public highschool is a joke compared to a private Lutheran Middleschool.

Then i would get comments in highschool about how much tougher highschool was compared to my crap middleschool. My Ass

Well guess what, in college they talk shit about highschool and how teens don't learn crap and yeah I agree.

My 35 year old music teacher even knows 9/11 was an inside job and the whole story about the "Elite bankers"

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
10-26-2008 10:44 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Darthmat Wrote:I learned a lot of goodies.
History, the complexities of the Egnlish language, some Spanish, philosophy, some psychology, stuff about other religions, math, science, and other things that came up in discussion but don't come to the top of my head.
And how much of this do you use today?

Epic win book.
10-26-2008 10:59 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Not much. But it's still beneficial to know.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-26-2008 11:07 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Darthmat Wrote:Not much. But it's still beneficial to know.
It's only beneficial if you use it.

Epic win book.
10-26-2008 11:33 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Knowledge is beneficial for knowledge's sake.

10-26-2008 11:35 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Darthmat Wrote:Knowledge is beneficial for knowledge's sake.
I will say this. If you're never going to use it, it's not useful. It's self-proving.

Epic win book.
10-26-2008 11:39 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

W-Dog32 Wrote:I know how that feels Strat.

It was a joke. lol

Honestly in school I kept mostly to myself and nobody really bothered me except in like 6th - 7th grade when I got picked on a lot. In high school people started to actually like me for some reason.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
10-26-2008 11:43 PM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Well, I did learn, amongst other things, the simple fact that school is a waste of time.

Unless you mean from the teachers, in which case I learned nothing.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
10-26-2008 11:50 PM
Insert user name here Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

From school, I have learned that nobody likes free-thinkers. I have learned that succeeding in life is all about memorising useless information. I have learned that I cannot walk down a corridor without someone trying to trip me up or shove me. School has taugh me to be scared of others, to hate myself. School has taught me that I am inferior to all around me.

However, on the other hand, the most useful thing school has taught me is courage, and the imense emotional strength which is needed for me to survive each school day. Singing my favourite songs to myself when I feel scared or stressed normally seems to help.

"All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it."-Samuel Butler
10-28-2008 05:55 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

I learned absolutely nothing that I will use later on in life.

(no shit, sherlock)
10-31-2008 08:56 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Stratovarius Wrote:
W-Dog32 Wrote:I know how that feels Strat.

It was a joke. lol

Honestly in school I kept mostly to myself and nobody really bothered me except in like 6th - 7th grade when I got picked on a lot. In high school people started to actually like me for some reason.
Really?
You just described 8th grade for me.

10-31-2008 12:32 PM
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I learnt how to read, write, and numbers before high school.
My english was improved by me learning off library books, not from school.
11-01-2008 11:42 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Yeah well I learned that I WANT MY FUCKING CHILDHOOD BACK!

Other than that, I learned how to cheat really well.
11-01-2008 12:28 PM
PunchingYou Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

i learned how to get out of class and run home in like 30 minutes :/

JESUS SAVES... ON THE PRICE OF DETERGALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!
11-07-2008 04:59 AM
mihai_alexandru Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The only thing that people seem to learn from school is how to obey society and to stay 7 hours a day on a chair in complete boredom. As it seems, the former is something that all of us here didn't permit to happen (because we protest against school) but the latter happened to us without our consent. Staying against your will in complete boredom most of the day in a dirty place with dry air seems to be some sort of training to resist at boring desk jobs. For example, when I was small I said to my sister: "Do you have to travel to school and back home by bus 1 hour every day? Isn't that boring?" but now for most of us it's just a usual day to waste time travelling to a place everyday where you don't want to go in the first place.

True learning happens in real life. Even internet forums are more real-life than school: I've learned something with the help of this post! I've learned how to use former and latter and the correct pronunciation of latter by thinking what words I should use in this post and then going to dictionary.com and searching there for the meaning of my words.
11-07-2008 07:12 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:home, far before they get to school.
That's where I learned it. (On my own.)

woah dude
dude woah
11-07-2008 08:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Three things I learned in health class monkey 35 8,958 03-09-2010 12:27 AM
Last Post: Loxor
  Today I learned.... Vatman 28 7,019 09-05-2009 12:56 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Some things I've learned from college. Gaiyara 4 2,023 02-21-2009 04:33 AM