RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French help
Dragon4Anarchy Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
French help

I'm planning on organizing an event in my area but it's a french town, so I need to make flyers in french. What I have planned is a kind of gathering of self educated ppl, dropouts ect, and school kids who don't think school is working for them. My vision is an organization for equal employment opportunity in the arts and various professional jobs that are denied to capable people only because of the lack of a degree. For this I would seek both students workers and employers, anyone who would be sympathetic to this cause. But like I said, french XD So are there any translations of articles and other material on this site I could use?
10-27-2008 12:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: French help

The introduction page has been translated into French. Nothing else that I know of though.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
11-08-2008 04:11 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

ask kitsune? pm? i could ask him for you?

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
11-08-2008 04:46 AM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

If yopu do the flyer in French they will expect you to talk in French, so that could get difficult.

A few simple passages:

Tu deteste college? Do you hate school?
Je deteste college. I hate college.
Mon [insert word for lesson here, can't remember it] preféré es [Insert lesson here] My favourite lesson is...
Je suis I have

Some lessons
Anglais English
Français French
Sciences (Pronounce: ScEEarnces) Sciences

Some random words
Fromage Cheese
J'aime I like
J'adore I love
Comme çi, comme ça I am indifferent
Ne [INSERT ADJECTIVE HERE] pas Reverses the meaning of the adjective or possibly noun; Basically means 'not'

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
11-08-2008 08:16 AM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Well, I'm French, where do you live? I'm in Toulouse.
As for the few French passages, well we wouldn't say "Tu déteste collège ?" but "Tu déteste le collège ?", besides "collège" means, precisely, "middle school" in France so you should use this word with care (and don't get confused, the English word college will be "université" or "faculté" or just "fac"), if you want to say "school", it's "école" (which means both "primary school" and "school" ... just like the word "school" in English actually ...).
And why do everybody learn "fromage" as their first French word???
12-01-2008 01:28 AM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

It's in Dexter's Laboratory. I was obsessed with Dexter for a... long time.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
12-01-2008 03:11 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

I don't think you would use "tu" substitute that for "vous"
The French are very polite in their language. But to be polite you don't use singular 2nd person (Tu), you'd use plural 2nd person. (Vous)

Je deteste college. I hate college.
Mon [insert word for lesson here, can't remember it] preféré es [Insert lesson here] My favourite lesson is...
Je suis I have

So instead of:
it would be:
Vous detestez l'ecole? (E a l'accent aigu) (e has forward slash above it)
Also, I don't know if 'deteste' is an -ir, -er, or -re verb. So I'm not completely sure how to conjugate it.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
12-01-2008 11:11 AM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

"détester" is a -er verb, like most verbs in French (haïr, however has the same meaning but is a -ir verb -- even worse actually because it's a -ir verb from the third group i.e. the irregular one --).

But you know what? You shouldn't learn this, I mean that's what French kids learn in school, i.e. when they already speak French!
That's another reason why school sucks: they are unable to teach a language (or anything else I'm afraid) properly.
Were you ever taught that the preterit of "go" wasn't "goed" but "went"? Unless you're not a native speaker of English, I doubt so ... So why do foreign languages courses start by teaching something as unuseful as grammar?
12-01-2008 10:44 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Actually yes they do teacher "went" instead of 'goed'
It's passed tense. You have to learn it in every language.

Also, I've seen some other textbooks for teaching the English language, from some of the new Brazilian transfer students from this year, and they learn that tense in 2nd year.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
12-02-2008 01:11 PM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

That's not what I mean.
What I mean is, if you're a native English speaker, no one ever told you "you have to use went and not goed" for "goed" just seems ... unnatural to you. Whatever your language is, you might have absolutely no grammar notion of it and still speak it better than most foreigners. For that reason I think learning grammar notions is a futile thing, like the alljapaneseallthetime.com guy said (I speak a lot about this site, sorry) it's like learning quantum physics in order to drive a car ...
12-04-2008 08:25 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

french usually confuses me. i need to have a conversation, not just learn the phrases. and isnt 'vous' a formal or plural way of saying 'you'?

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
12-04-2008 10:53 PM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

Yes it is, you might get it easily if you compare it to classical English:
"you" was, precisely, a formal or plural way of saying the modern "you" while "thou" was the equivalent to the French "tu": it was always singular and a bit informal.

PS: Surprisingly, protestants started using "thou" in priers in order to feel a little "closer" to God and now using it in church might feel quite formal on the contrary as "thou" isn't used anymore in modern English (of course I can't really know how it feels calling God "thou" for I've never gone to church and I'm not a native English speaker anyway).
12-05-2008 08:56 AM
Sanjuro Offline
Fanatic

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Va 'tone= get lost!!!

Napalm Sticks To Kids
01-03-2009 02:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon4Anarchy Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Ehe, sorry guys I left qc a couple months back, (eliminating my need for french) soon after making this thread ^^ stuff happened lol but thanks anyways.
01-07-2009 01:56 AM
stephenjones Offline
Defiant

RE: French help

According to me It is not necessary that you provide full content of flyer in French but You can include some important and necessary things in about subject in the French language and remaining in other language which you want to use for your advertisement.
02-28-2012 08:18 PM