RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conformity and sterotypes
jdecolt Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Conformity and sterotypes

So, this is something that has bothered me for a while. Has anyone noticed that people have a tendancy to conform to their sterotypes? For example, Most of the black kids in my school try to be "gangsta", the poor whites try to do drugs and booze and such, while the smart kids do everything they can to be "nerdy". There are few kids in my school that dont voluntarily conform to the stereotype of their race, religion, Ect.... This is especially annoying when you get to know the person and realize they really arnt that way at all. People are incredably offended by stereotypes, yet they follow the pre-set stereotypes for whatever group they fit into as if it were law. This confuses me. And its not just my school, this occurs everywhere. From the teachers pet cliche to the gangsta to the loner artist kid to the emos, people refuse individualism and cling to pre-set sterotypes. My main question is, why? do They really believe that is how they HAVE to act to be "themselves" or what?

The Greatest hell exists in one's own mind.
04-09-2011 01:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
Re: Conformity and sterotypes

It's very hard, if it not impossible to define 'self' and even if you make an attempt not to define yourself under certain parameters if you're conscious of it you're defining yourself by being outside of those parameters which is just using another side of the same measuring stick so most people just go with the flow and don't think about it too much. Still, I believe the most interesting, and radical, and non-comforming thinkers I've met maintain a conservative appearance and people who look really radical tend to be boring conservatives. Not always, but usually.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
04-09-2011 03:29 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

There is truth to stereotypes, otherwise they wouldn't be called that.

But in the end, does it really matter? I'm pretty stereotypical myself. Basement dweller, spending all my time on the PC, listening to stuff some people would find distasteful, reading fantasy, and so on.

And I really couldn't care less. Changing yourself just because you resemble a stereotype too much is like reinventing yourself to please others. Just be and do what you enjoy, and fuck thinking about whether you fit a pattern or not.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
04-09-2011 03:42 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I see a lot more stereotypes, or cliques of jocks/nerds/artsy people at public schools. Or non-super exclusive private schools. At schools like mine, where 85% of the people are rich white bitches, most everyone subscribes to the same stereotypes.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
04-09-2011 05:54 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

Faby Wrote:There is truth to stereotypes, otherwise they wouldn't be called that.

But in the end, does it really matter? I'm pretty stereotypical myself. Basement dweller, spending all my time on the PC, listening to stuff some people would find distasteful, reading fantasy, and so on.

And I really couldn't care less. Changing yourself just because you resemble a stereotype too much is like reinventing yourself to please others. Just be and do what you enjoy, and fuck thinking about whether you fit a pattern or not.
This

Previously known as Derchin.
04-09-2011 07:02 AM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

This so sums up people I know. I get called weird, just because I see things differently than most people, and take no effort to be stereotypical in any way. Odd how people use that as an insult

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
04-09-2011 11:13 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

As cliche as the phrase is, it takes two to tango--the way you see people is never in perfect correlation with the way they are, and your mind tends to emphasize or de-emphasize characteristics in order to make sense of people. And with emo kids, for example, the things that would make you call them an emo kid in the first place are exactly the things that make them a stereotypical emo kid, so in that sense the idea of following stereotypes isn't even meaningful.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
04-10-2011 02:32 AM
jdecolt Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Faby Wrote:There is truth to stereotypes, otherwise they wouldn't be called that.

I totally agree, thankfully, i have been able to keep that mindset, i suppose it just bothers me though that, because i am aware there are pre set stereotypes, i find it odd that people conform to that which they find most offensive just for the sake of conformity itself. Not saying everyone should be a radical, but surely not every group is that easily sorted into the cliched cliques that make up your average group of students/people in general

The Greatest hell exists in one's own mind.
04-12-2011 12:47 AM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Maybe society makes stereotypes?

For example, if you listen to pop,normally it's because you're too stupid that doesn't include the same word in a paragraph 50 times and not get bored, so normally these are the jocks/girl type thing that I can't think of right now (back stabbing bitch?) they also seem to be the ones who don't realize popularity is stupid.

The people who are nerds found something they enjoyed that might help them in the future, and know not to buy into that crap.

Just my 2cents

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
04-12-2011 10:50 AM
tututoto Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I think people subscribe to stereotypes because it's convenient. It makes interaction easier : If you see a jock, you know he probably enjoys sports, and you have a ready set of conversation starters.
And people feel safer when they belong to a group.
04-15-2011 05:25 AM
Story and Myth Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Stereotypes do make it easier to form ties with people. Human nature likes to compartmentalize, but then it's really hard for people like me. I fit into:
Nerds, because I'm in honors classes.
Musical artist, because I play bass in both orchestra and jazz bad
Japanese obsessed, because I'm taking Japanese, do origami and love Pokemon
Nature girl, because I still go outside and climb trees
Computer geek, because I type on my laptop a whole lot
Bookworm, because I am never without a book
Crazy cat lady, because I am
Freak, because I masturbate
Christian, because I searched the whole Bible and couldn't find a single verse against girls masturbating. Also I go to church on Sundays.
I mean, seriously, I could go on. You know that ad with the girl twirling, and it says if she looks like she's twirling one way you're right-brained and if she twirls the other you're left brained? She switched direction every few seconds.
Sometimes I wish I could find a stereotype to fit into, but I wouldn't want to give up any of my friends. I have at least one in every single clique in my grade. (Jocks, because a couple played bass but dropped out, popular girls because I did color guard one year and that's a big deal here, music because I play bass, nerds because I read all the time, Japanese because of my origami, emo because I've slit my wrists and tried to commit suicide numerous times, Christian because God basically told me, "NO." and sent me to spiritual time-out, go green because I love the outdoors and have hiked over a mountain. Again, I could go on.)
Stereotypes. Just an easy way to keep track of who I'm friends with.

"I have been allotted months of futility,
and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
When I lie down I think, ‘How long before I get up?’
The night drags on, and I toss and turn until dawn." Job 7:3-4

Both of my parents are teachers. My body is bound, but my mind is free.
04-28-2011 10:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Conformity? Guest 37 9,949 02-03-2009 09:01 AM
Last Post: Aviator