RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are pedophiles mentally ill
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Are pedophiles mentally ill

Whenever the subject of pedophilia comes up, people are immediately up in arms over it. They are sick, they say. They are tearing our nation apart, they say. Children are being victimised, they say.

I think this is going slightly too far. Homosexuality is now essentially protected under political correctness; if you call a gay person a faggot or a dyke, the reaction will be hugely against you. However, calling a pedophile sick and twisted is seen as perfectly acceptable. Both are sexual orientations, technically. So then why is this (I cant use question marks or apostrophes on this keyboard, sorry for my typing). Keep in mind that not all or even most pedophiles are child molestors, and that there is a big difference.
10-29-2008 02:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
Re: Are pedophiles mentally ill

People who are attracted to children aren't mentally ill.

People who think it's okay, or can not stop themselves from raping someone are mentally ill, regardless of the age of the raped person.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
10-29-2008 03:16 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

only if they dont restrain themselvers from actually raaping the person in question, though attraction to children is surprisingly comon

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
10-29-2008 04:28 AM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Well, I'd like to ask this: what makes somebody mentally ill? How do we know if somebody is mentally ill? Usually people who are just "different" are the ones who are considered to be mentally ill. I don't mean "different" in a bad way, either. By "different," I mean unconventional, not like most people. You ever notice how people will call somebody "crazy" just for doing something diffrent?

If I decided to kill myself, people would undoubtedly be saying, "he was depressed, he was mentally ill," as if it's an objective statement. Maybe I just didn't feel like living anymore. Maybe I didn't see any good in the world, nothing worth living for, why would that make me "crazy?" Why, just because it's a "different" point of view?

Keeping all of this in mind, my answer to Thunder's question is no, they are not mentally ill. They are just different. They have a different point of view, a different type of sexuality, but that doesn't make the mentally ill or crazy.

EDIT: This may be unpopular, but same goes for rapists in my opinion. All they are doing is breaking the laws that WE (as people) established. It's a very subjective point of view to say that "rape is wrong," because what defines "wrong" other than the law, or perhaps yourself? As do pedophiles, rapists see things differently. Am I saying that rapists shouldn't be arrested? No. If we let rapists and murderers, etc. stay free, then our society, our society that defined it's own rules, would collapse, or at least be in bad shape.
10-29-2008 07:48 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

If someone is raping 5 year olds I would have to say something is wrong with them.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-29-2008 07:49 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

The Wadekarl Wrote:It's a very subjective point of view to say that "rape is wrong," because what defines "wrong" other than the law, or perhaps yourself?
Rape is wrong because it hurts someone. If it didn't hurt them they wouldn't call it rape.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
10-29-2008 09:27 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

Having the attraction is not wrong. Forcing other people (children) to act upon it is. And most pedophiles don't, it's a dumb misconception.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-29-2008 10:56 AM
cooltoonist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I say having a attraction is ok.
I have seen some arguments how homosexuality is the same with pedophilia.
However, if that's the case, then if the children are not consent with the pedophile, then it's wrong.

Then if the children is consent... I don't know. o_o
I personally feel it's disgusting to think of an adult acting on them and forcing a child to do it with them.

It would be better if the pedophile waited for the child to be a adult.
Once they're over 20 or so, big age gap but laws can't stop them.
10-29-2008 12:28 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Until a child is old enough to to understand sexuality or any of the terms that coincide with this topic, then they're viable to give their consent or not.
Ofcourse, life experience probably gives most of the decision making skills to them... as opposed to intelligence. For example: you're basically born with the same IQ you'll have for the rest of your life. (Well... it goes up three points every 10 years) but most kids won't understand sex at all (exept a small feeling for it,) as opposed to most people above the age of 20 or so that understand it...
Ok, what I'm trying to say is that there are pretty much exceptions to ever rule you can think of for the age in which consent should be given. And all laws need to be based on a solid number.
So I think, that since sexual exploitation can be an extremely scarring thing, something that will never go away, we should attempt to protect the majority of kids. I doubt 18 should be the age of consent, probably 14-15, depending on way in which a society treats children.
I know that someone is going to say, "If the kid gives consent and then its not rape, so it should be all right." So, in my opposition: there are many more things you can do to a child that will not qualify as 'rape' Most kids won't understand sexual exploitation, so something might effect them that they didn't understand. Basically, loopholes for pedophiles are what I'm afraid of.
So, to me, protecting the majority is much more important then allowing a small minority, who would understand the effects, a few moments of primitive screwing.

And in terms of, "And what if the child loves the adult, and vice versa."
And my response is: Rofl

No.

There is no way in hell someone below the age of puberty is (12-14) is going to understand sexual love. (Which is primarily one of the things puberty is for (Love in biology means babies, via reproduction)
And pedophilia is "attraction to prepuhenscent children" So pedophilia is bad D:<

Oh, and in response to Darthmat:
"Having the attraction is not wrong. Forcing other people (children) to act upon it is. And most pedophiles don't, it's a dumb misconception."
LOL Phail. If you mean they had sex with the child and it wasn't forced, then I think I had a pretty good argument from above... But if not, tell me.
And, pedophilia mainly exists in patriachic societies. It's mainly males because of the power and dominance that they feel. (Some females also, and I think the only hypothosis about that is it makes them feel younger or something, because our soceity idealized youth in women more then men) Pedophilia has always been about domination, not love or attraction.

And if there were cases of love and attraction, and it wasn't all sexual, then the person wouldn't get in trouble for it because he would never have sex with said child.

I understand that none of that probably made any sense.... but I'm tired and have an essay and an entire chapter of notes due for AP US History... and French.... Sorry :/

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
10-29-2008 01:56 PM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Freak Wrote:Oh, and in response to Darthmat:
"Having the attraction is not wrong. Forcing other people (children) to act upon it is. And most pedophiles don't, it's a dumb misconception."
LOL Phail. If you mean they had sex with the child and it wasn't forced, then I think I had a pretty good argument from above...
As in they usually don't have sex with kids.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
10-30-2008 07:34 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I don't see how you can stop it, but I still think it's danged weird.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-30-2008 10:59 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Urges are okay, Acting on them and hurting others ain't.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-02-2008 07:25 AM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Darthmat Wrote:As in they usually don't have sex with kids.
Heh, sorry. Nevermind then.
Actually, my mother was watching Opera
*cries at the stereotype*
And on it, there was a statistic that there were over a few million pedophiles in the US alone. And everyone on the show, everyone that was watching the show (including my mother) Freaked.
It was serious lawlz.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
11-02-2008 09:06 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

LOL. That is so small per capita.

11-02-2008 03:18 PM
Chaotic_Punk Offline
Renegade

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Mentally Ill?
If one pedophile said they had a mental illness, every single sex offender would use that as an excuse to perhaps get away with serving a custodial setence and get some form of psychotheraphy which will go in one ear and out the other. Crimes against sex offenders are on the rise In The Uk because justice isn't being done,a slap on the wrist, a fine or serving eighteen to twenty one months in prison. Or even being put on the risk register for ten years. It isn't enough.

Fair enough killing someone could be down to schizoprhenia but raping a child or looking at images is totally fucked up in the head. The people who do abuse kids deserve to be left in a room with the parents of those who have been abused. it's better than the countries justice, it's perhaps an issue that the courts don't interact in.

Why does the goverment go to extremes to protect offenders identityies when they are the ones who deserve what they get for perhaps causing such an amount of pain to a family or person. But hey as long as nobody knows about it, it's not important. Locally in a ten minute walk from a nursery, primary school and high school there was at least eighteen offenders living directly in walking distance of the schools where kids are.
In my opinion offenders should be locked up, killers are completely different because they often don't rape or abuse the victims sexually.

School is practice for the future, practice makes perfect. Nobody’s perfect so why practice?
11-04-2008 01:37 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Everybody kind of missed the point of my post, where I said that pedophilia is NOT child molestation.
11-17-2008 10:38 AM
VampyrMagick Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

...i agree with most people here as long as they dont do act on their feelings it is fine..but what do you think if say ....it was the child that wanted the adult....say a 13 year old boy ...had sex with his 30 year old english teacher..and it was the boy that started the interaction...the teacher would be sentenced and treated like a pedophile..and a child molester...but is she?...what do you think?
11-17-2008 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

VampyrMagick Wrote:...i agree with most people here as long as they dont do act on their feelings it is fine..but what do you think if say ....it was the child that wanted the adult....say a 13 year old boy ...had sex with his 30 year old english teacher..and it was the boy that started the interaction...the teacher would be sentenced and treated like a pedophile..and a child molester...but is she?...what do you think?
Look it up. Paedophilia is the attraction to prepubescent children. 13-year-olds don't count.

11-18-2008 12:02 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Puchiko: Almost all 13 year olds. Very few have not hit puberty yet.

11-19-2008 08:15 AM
VampyrMagick Offline
Rebel

Oh you know what i meant, ok how about if it is say a 9 year old, i dont know but some young child is what i meant.
i just used 13 as an example.
11-19-2008 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

I'm not sure about pedophilia. The attraction itself can't be said to be wrong. They're just involuntary feelings, not at all harmful inherently. Acting on them may be. I don't feel qualified to run my mouth about the psychological effects on a child who [supposedly] consents to sex and whether they understand completely what they're doing.

As for hebephilia and ephebophilia: I feel they're wrongly judged. Once a child is pubescent, I see nothing wrong with them engaging in voluntary sexual activity with another consenting [post]-pubescent person, and I see no reason barring mental abnormality why they should not readily understand their actions. As I see it, the increase in acceptable age for sexual activity was brought about by the extension of childhood in the industrial age, and societal expectations grew from there.

In other words, I'm on the fence about Uncle doing the nine-year-old niece, but I call bullshit when teacher's hauled away for getting it on with a damn high school student.
11-19-2008 03:36 PM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

VampyrMagick Wrote:Oh you know what i meant, ok how about if it is say a 9 year old, i dont know but some young child is what i meant.
i just used 13 as an example.
Well, those four years do make a difference.

As freak said, a pre-pubescent child doesn't have the biological means to feel sexual love.
I agree wih what I'm quoting below, that should answer your question
Freak Wrote:Until a child is old enough to to understand sexuality or any of the terms that coincide with this topic, then they're viable to give their consent or not.

Freak Wrote:And in terms of, &quot;And what if the child loves the adult, and vice versa.&quot;
And my response is: Rofl

No.

There is no way in hell someone below the age of puberty is (12-14) is going to understand sexual love. (Which is primarily one of the things puberty is for (Love in biology means babies, via reproduction)

11-19-2008 10:09 PM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

No. It's just a sexual orientation, like you said. They had no choice in the matter. Maybe they just never grew out of the teenage mindset of liking other teenagers or children; I really don't know too much about the psychology of pedophiles. That said, if they actually do go and rape a non - consenting child, they should be sentenced to something, because there, they did actually have a choice in the matter. Since I essentially trust a child's judgment, or a teenagers judgment no less, then, though it feels weird to say it, the consenting kid and the pedophile should, I guess, have some sort of right to... be together. God this feels weird to say.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
12-03-2008 03:54 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

Only because it's an unpopular opinion.
12-03-2008 09:48 PM
Lonehwolf Offline
Rebel

I guess I can see the pedophiles' point of view, I just admire how they go ahead and put it into action Biggrin

Mentally ill? Just determined I think =o
12-09-2008 06:52 PM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Lonehwolf Wrote:I guess I can see the pedophiles' point of view, I just admire how they go ahead and put it into action Biggrin

Mentally ill? Just determined I think =o
Biggrin I think it's about what our society sees as positive. Being goal-oriented is great. Being stubborn is not. That's the mindset we're trained to live in. But if you think about it, the words are synonyms.
I think that being "stubborn" is okay. However, there's a Czech phrase "Jde přes mrtovoly"-"S/he goes over dead bodies", meaning that the person will do anything (including hurting people) to reach a certain goal. Now I don't think that's all right. If you're hurting somebody, you really need to pause and reflect. Few things justify that behaviour, and paedophilia isn't one of them.

12-12-2008 02:45 AM