RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Lacks Incentives...
J4mz69 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
School Lacks Incentives...

I have missed like 27 days of school so far this year. I also have all A's. I go to a public school where the maximum days you are supposed to miss per semester is 12. I have been talked to by the sophomore disciplinary counselor and my guidance counselor. I get a call every day I don't go to school. The school is threatening to make me repeat all the classes I have taken this semester because I have missed so much school. I just cannot grasp something here... but.. wtf? If I can pass the class without going, what is my motivation to go?
I have heard the analogy of work vs school, but I still do not agree. I worked all summer, full-time for a construction company. I didn't miss a single day.

Obviously school lacks an incentive, and I assume you all feel that way too. The government needs to get the fucking picture and stop forcing kids to go to school, or at least school as it is now. I would be happy to go to school if I was paid $8.50 per hour like I was making this summer. Unfortunately, that will never happen. So I don't see why I can't just opt to do the work and take the tests that school requires, just without the 8-11 hours that it takes out of my day (homework+school+the time after school I spend doing nothing as I wait for my ride to get there).

But as to the reason I wrote this.. I don't know. Post your thoughts I guess.
Also, does anyone know if you can drop out after 1 semester into the year (in high school) and just switch into home schooling? I live in Iowa.
11-05-2008 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: So I fail because the classes bore me?

I have always thought that as long as they get good enough grades to pass, then people should be allowed to go on. I mean, as you said, what use is it going to class if you already know it all? Whenever I am in class, all I do is draw and daydream, and I get pretty much all As too.

I guess the school system just effed up again.
11-05-2008 10:01 AM
Kaylingrl_1 Offline
Rebel

Re: School Lacks Incentives...

It's stupid that you might have to repeat classes just because you missed so much school. I totally agree with the idea of, if I know it, why should I have to go??? My teacher, though, told me that it doesn't matter if you know it, that it has to do with how many hours you spend in the class. Of course, that's absolute shit, it should be based on what you know, because you can sit in classes every single day and not learn a thing, but... Who ever said that the government was smart? Or that they care?

"Students don't seek equality when they can be teachers later." - Edward, Truancy Origins

The end of school had a beginning...
11-05-2008 10:12 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

you get straight A's and they want you to retake all your classes. Whats the point of that. Your to damn smart?

Had to move on. Account is dead.
11-06-2008 10:07 AM
J4mz69 Offline
Rebel

Well... I talked with my vice principle last friday, boy was that interesting.

I told him exactly what I thought about school. I told him about how much of a waste of time it is and I quoted a bunch of famous people who acknowledge the epic failure of school. He was understanding, and he even told me that he thought reform was necessary. Now... he assured me that I would not have to repeat any classes if I keep my absences to once a week and that I continue to get good grades. Smile SUCCESS... but I still don't think I will be coming back after the end of this semester.
11-18-2008 07:17 AM