RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propaganda
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
Propaganda

North Korea is covered in propaganda. Yet the citizens who live there beleive that it's not propaganda, and most love their Communist homeland. Many beleive that the world looks up to them and that they are loved by all countries.

Why should America be any different?
11-12-2008 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)
Re: Propaganda

America isn't.

Recommended reading: 1984 by George Orwell

Veteran's Day today is a good example. I'm not saying disrespect the troops, and in general, I don't, but I find it disgusting how much we glorify military action and use it as an opportunity to continue brainwashing people into thinking mass killings are a necessity.

Also when we send aid to N. Korea, the citizens think it's a devotional offering to Kim Jong Il. Fucked up place.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
11-12-2008 12:22 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

America is getting worse every day, but it's not as bad as North Korea. If someone leaves the US, their whole family isn't sent to a death camp. The government's control over the flow of information there is so complete, many citizen's are not aware that humans have landed on the moon. No

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-12-2008 12:44 PM
Lucie Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The sad thing is in my experience the average European wants to visit for a long time period/live in America, but it is not possibly everything they've hyped it up to be. We are assholes, misleading the world. "Come to America, discover fashion, fun and fame!" but don't tell them about the droughts, oppression of political expressionism, hurricanes or crap immigration policies.

Fuck McCain
11-22-2008 06:24 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I believe propaganda and advertising really is the same sort of business. Propaganda makes a hell of alot more money though. When you advertise anything, do you say that its going to suck. No, no one would buy your product if you did. So they say red bull gives you wings, and voila, people can fly.

I guess the dirty secret about advertising is that it is completely effective, and in my belief a real part of human behavior.

Don't blame the advertising, blame the consumer.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
11-22-2008 08:13 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Vatman Wrote:I believe propaganda and advertising really is the same sort of business. Propaganda makes a hell of alot more money though. When you advertise anything, do you say that its going to suck. No, no one would buy your product if you did. So they say red bull gives you wings, and voila, people can fly.

I guess the dirty secret about advertising is that it is completely effective, and in my belief a real part of human behavior.

Don't blame the advertising, blame the consumer.
I feel propaganda is less socially acceptable to resist. Not buying a product is still considered more-or-less okay, but doubting the truths (aka all drop are burger flipping drug junkies)? Never! You must be insane.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
11-22-2008 10:05 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

What about scientific propaganda?

The world is round, do you expect us to believe that? Honestly....
The sun revolves around the earth, honestly Copernicus....stop spreading your cultist propoganda.

People advertising their beliefs is a natural part of social culture. The fact is, most people need some sort of schooling right? I mean ok, fine if you want to argue that we would be better off without any sort of school than that is your prerogative. But for the most part saying that if you don't buy our product bad things will happen is just a normal advertising strategy. Its all about choosing what advertising you choose to believe...personally I like gieko commercials.

11-23-2008 03:17 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Vatman Wrote:What about scientific propaganda?

The world is round, do you expect us to believe that? Honestly....
The sun revolves around the earth, honestly Copernicus....stop spreading your cultist propoganda.
Unlike propaganda, the roundness of the world is backed up with proof in any good upper level textbook.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
11-24-2008 05:56 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Fine would you have rather I used string theory?

Either way, the example still holds its validity.

11-24-2008 07:55 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

String theory is just that: a theory. We won't accept it until we find proof.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-24-2008 10:43 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Vatman Wrote:But for the most part saying that if you don't buy our product bad things will happen is just a normal advertising strategy.
It's also a logical fallacy. It falls under "appeal to fear".

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
11-24-2008 04:01 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Doesn't seem like a fallacy of logic here. All your water be dirties, drink clean bottled bottled water. Sounds to me like some good tasty logic....water.

11-25-2008 01:02 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Vatman Wrote:Doesn't seem like a fallacy of logic here. All your water be dirties, drink clean bottled bottled water. Sounds to me like some good tasty logic....water.
Really? Strange, because Penn and Teller did a test in New York...turns out NYC tap water tastes better then bottled water. Amasing isn't it?

Epic win book.
11-25-2008 01:08 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Which is an example of...?

I am not saying tap water is bad, I am saying that propaganda is not just government....its also cookies and cream.

11-25-2008 07:26 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

So what if it's illogical? People still far for it. Get off your pedestal. But be careful,the drop down is pretty far.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-25-2008 07:39 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Darthmat Wrote:So what if it's illogical? People still far for it. Get off your pedestal. But be careful,the drop down is pretty far.
A rhetorical question, followed by a Strawman, finished with an ad hominem.

Darthmat, do you EVER actually argue with people, or do you spend all your time trollin' and coming up with logical fallacies?

Epic win book.
11-25-2008 08:43 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I guess I'm just special. =D
But nearly as special as you, liq3. All you know how to do is memorize terms for logical fallacies, and point them out, whether the person is trying to prove a point or not. =D

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-25-2008 08:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Propaganda Milk2Go 12 3,675 05-22-2009 07:09 AM
Last Post: thewake
  Propaganda Freak 25 4,702 08-16-2007 11:38 AM
Last Post: Darthmat