RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fate vs. Free Will
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)
Fate vs. Free Will

I have been thinking a lot on a topic raised in a discussion a short while ago. A question was asked of me pertaining to whether I believe in fate or free will and this topic has started to turn these rusty wheels in my mind. Although most seem to view fate as some sort of divine plan, due to my lack of belief in most all forms of the divine I am going to go with the Webster’s Dictionary definition of the word. Fate: A fixed decree by which the order of things is prescribed; the immutable law of the universe; inevitable necessity; the force by which all existence is determined and conditioned. This is how I see it, no god(s) of any kind involved, merely a force of existence.

The idea of fate vs free will has been argued for centuries. It seems that few people are resigned to one idea or the other and like to remain in a neutral or in between belief category. I for one am not one of those people. As contradictory as this may sound, I believe that free will itself is governed by fate. It may seem as if we all make our own choices in life, but I think that even the decisions we make cannot alter the predetermined outcome. The forces of the universe toy with allowing us to think we have chosen our own path when in reality, that is not the case at all. Most of the myths of the world include mention of some deity or supreme being that spins or weaves the threads of fate.

I have taken an interest in the story of the three sisters of fate in Greek Mythology. The ancient Greeks believed that three timeless women, the Moerae weave the threads of destiny that control life. It is thought that a thread is created for each mortal at the time of his/her birth. This thread may be long, short, each full of knots and twists and turns, but it is ultimately unchangeable. Although I have a difficult time accepting the fact that these “supreme beings” create such threads, and that all life is determined by three mythological goddesses, I can appreciate the overall concept of a destiny which cannot be changed despite the choices we make. Its beautiful, and you all know how I digg beauty.

Take my life for example. If I were to have chosen an entirely different path......if I gave up on my mad attempt to read every single blasted classical English author and gone back to my studies, would I still be where I am now? As much as I don’t want to believe it, I am quite certain that I would. Some other twist of fate (or loop in the thread) would send me down a similar road and eventually I would have still crossed paths with Julie and the story would have managed to play itself out just the same, regardless of any decisions on my part. I was destined to become the creature that I am there is nothing I could have said or done differently that would have changed that. Fate is a stubborn creature who will not bend or sway to the desires of any one individual soul.

Can we change our fate? Perhaps we can twist, turn or knot the threads of our own lives, but in the end it all ends up the same, regardless of our actions.

That was your mythology, history and philosophy lesson of the evening all rolled into one. Take it or leave it, I couldn’t care less. It is simply one man’s attempt to understand a single twisted thread that the Fates have forgotten to cut.

"The threads which the Fates spin are so unchangeable, that, even if they decreed to someone a kingdom which at the moment belonged to another, and even if that other slew the man of destiny, to save himself from ever being deprived by him of his throne, nevertheless the dead man would come to life again in order to fulfil the decree of the Fates. He who is destined to become a carpenter, will become one even if his hands have been cut off: and he who has been destined to carry off the prize for running in the Olympic games, will not fail to win even if he broke his leg: and a man to whom the Fates have decreed that he shall be an eminent archer, will not miss the mark, even though he lost his eyesight." ~Flavius Philostratus

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
11-17-2008 06:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Re: Fate vs. Free Will

I meant this as a rant, but I suppose it can be moved to philosophical discussion if the moderates see it as topic worthy.

11-17-2008 07:03 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

No way I'm touching this one. Last time I started wondering about fate vs. free will, I literally almost lost my mind. Honestly, that isn't an exaggerations. I lost sleep over it.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
11-17-2008 07:53 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Rebelnerd Wrote:No way I'm touching this one. Last time I started wondering about fate vs. free will, I literally almost lost my mind. Honestly, that isn't an exaggerations. I lost sleep over it.
I miss sleeping.

11-17-2008 07:56 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I don't believe in fate. No reason to, really.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
11-17-2008 08:00 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Damn I always think about this and yet I never post about it. As much as I hate religion I must admit that like death I believe in fate but I believe that we sort of make our fate to shorten it. Its confusing, I don't believe in equal exchange(The belief that if you work hard enough then it'll pay off and you'll get to where you want) but I believe sort of in karma(whatever you do it catches up to you eventually).
Damn This topic fucks with the head. Laugh

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-17-2008 10:05 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I believe in both. Your fate is your purpose in life, what you're meant to do. Whether or not you actually do it (and how you get there) is where free will comes into play. There are infinite possibilities of how you can live your life, you can do whatever you want. But you still have a certain destiny and it's up to you to find it and get there... if you want to.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-18-2008 12:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:I believe in both. Your fate is your purpose in life, what you're meant to do. Whether or not you actually do it (and how you get there) is where free will comes into play. There are infinite possibilities of how you can live your life, you can do whatever you want. But you still have a certain destiny and it's up to you to find it and get there... if you want to.
This.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
11-18-2008 01:12 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Soulriser always tells it just right. Biggrin

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-18-2008 02:33 AM
robertmartin Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
RE: Fate vs. Free Will

Dear friend, really like your thread..
We experience free will, but honestly, we are limited to only what we know, we aren't free to make any decision at any time. We are restricted to what we know when we know it. That is certainly not free.

We all have freewill. We can all choose what we do, where we go, how we feel. The last week i have completed a essay on free will. People who don't want to take responsibility for their lives will try to blame outside forces & say that they had no choice but the truth is that our lives are in our hands. Everything in our lives, we chose (whether by our actions or by default). It's the law of attraction. You draw things to you by nature of your thoughts and the universe responds and gives you what you expect, good or bad. Every day, every moment is a chance to turn it all around. You are free to decide what you want your life to be & make it so.

If you think your life is pre-determined and you have no choice then you are actually choosing that because you have the freewill to do so.

We are all the authors of our own fate. That may be the best news or the worst news you've ever heard...We have no one to blame but ourselves if we are unhappy.

Have a free day Smile
11-10-2011 06:39 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

I don't believe in free will at all. I believe it was all set in motion from the first instant of the big bang. I was destined to write this sentence from billions of years ago and the whole situation is entirely inescapable.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
11-10-2011 09:24 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

(11-10-2011 09:24 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I don't believe in free will at all. I believe it was all set in motion from the first instant of the big bang. I was destined to write this sentence from billions of years ago and the whole situation is entirely inescapable.

lol
That is all.
but if we had no though process of choice thing, then we wouldn't say anything at all... would we?

/who cares

[Image: glorious666.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 09:54 AM by LOON_ATTIC.)
11-11-2011 09:54 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

(11-18-2008 01:12 AM)liq3 Wrote:  
SoulRiser Wrote:I believe in both. Your fate is your purpose in life, what you're meant to do. Whether or not you actually do it (and how you get there) is where free will comes into play. There are infinite possibilities of how you can live your life, you can do whatever you want. But you still have a certain destiny and it's up to you to find it and get there... if you want to.
This.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 10:35 AM by Miller0700.)
11-11-2011 10:34 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

oh my god rebelnerd is ba-

[Image: glorious666.png]
11-11-2011 03:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post