RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adopt a Philosophy of Abundance!
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Adopt a Philosophy of Abundance!

There is a lot of wisdom in here. I hope you guys get something out of it. I know I did.

Quote:This is a post about something that underlies your skill set. It's the foundation. The skills or method is the house.

It's about adopting a philosophy of abundance, and why that's important.

I first came across the concept in Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,

Essentially, there are two positions or "philosophies" people tend to have about stuff in the universe. (By stuff I mean money, possessions, cars, friends, women, anything that has a form.)

A Philosophy of Scarcity
People who have a philosophy of "scarcity" believe that there's a limited amount of "stuff" in the world. Because they believe there's a limited amount, they try to grab as much as they can. If you want to watch this in the field, go to an all-you-can-eat buffet sometime and watch the sparks fly from the serving spoons. You'd think people are eating their last meal. And in some resepcts they believe they are.

Or watch insecure guys stick like white on rice to a set that's practically begging the guys to go away. The guys act as if this is their last chance to get laid.

They see everything as scarce. In short supply. Almost gone.

A Philosophy of Abundance
People who have a philosophy of abundance believe that there is plenty to go around, no matter what it is. They don't hoard things because they know there's more where that came from, whatever it is.

In biblical times farmers were asked not to cut (harvest) the "corners" of their fields -- there's enough for everyone, so let others have some of yours. They were supposed to leave some for people who didn't have much.

More recently, the personal finance expert Suze Orman found that the clients of hers who consistently gave to charity had portfolios that significantly outpaced those of clients who gave little or nothing to others.

I've observed this myself in business ... in ways that would be a departure from this thread and this Forum if I tried to explain it. But my philosophy over the past few years has been this:

Give it away. It comes back.

How Do You Apply This to Meeting Women?
One of the consistent themes in threads throughout the Forum is the frustration of guys who see a target or set slipping away, and grab desperately at the smoke and fumes to try to get it back.

Big mistake.

That shows a philosophy of scarcity. It says, to anyone who can perceive it, "I must have this target right now, because they're in short supply! I have to get this one!"

It's at the core of blown sets and one-itis ... hanging on when you should move on.

It's the idea that "if I don't get this one, there will never be another."

I know it's strange to see that in text -- because it looks silly sitting out there all by itself. But that's what many of us tell ourselves all the time.

Do this simple test: I want you to try to remember the first girl you ever kissed. For most of us it's easy, right? Because she was the first, you remember everything -- where you were, who she was, what she was wearing.

Now, I want you to try to remember the 7th girl you ever kissed. You can't do it. She's just another thread in the fabric of your life, and your memories. One of many. Not unimportant, just one of many.

The point is that when you adopt a position of abundance about women, you realize that there are many beautiful, smart, sensitive, sexy, fun, exotic, serious and happy women out there. There are millions of them, in fact.

After breaking up with my first real girlfriend, I was moping around the house. My grandmother was there and asked me what was wrong. I told her, she said, with a slight Russian accent -- "Don't vorry about dis one girl ... girls are like busses -- if you mees one, another one will be right arount de corner."

She was right. And she didn't mean any disrespect to women.

You don't have to grow old before you realize how powerful it is to adopt a position of abundance. It will change your frame because it changes your values. It changes your life, too, in ways you can't imagine.

You won't sweat the next set because you know there are endless sets after that -- as many as you'd like. You won't sweat getting blown out, because you know that while the chicks in that three-set are sitting at that little table laughing in your face, they are but a few people in the whole club, in one club among many in your city, among thousands of cities in this country, in just one country on this big fucking planet. They are quite literally a speck of dust in a huge universe.

That moment doesn't mean a thing.

With a philosophy of abundance, you'll walk away from that set energized to know that because they weren't the ones for you, the "real" ones are still out there ... you just got another dud out of your system.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't work on skills. You should. But when you have a philosophy of abundance underneath those skills, it's like gliding instead of plodding along.

Don't just apply it to pick-up, or you'll be missing an opportunity to improve -- not change -- who you are. Someone trying to get in front of your car in traffic? Let them. There are studies that show when people let others in front, those people drive more courteously, too. Apparently a philosophy of abundance can be contagious.

Show up at the bar door at the exact same time someone else does? Let them go first. Do it just because you can. There are plenty of more doors to walk through.

Look for ways to put more good things into the world. When you do that, the world will pay you back in abundance. In your social life. You love life. Your work life. Your whole life.

Thanks for reading. I've been wanting to share this for some time.

"You're catching me on a day where I'm throwing seven different kinds of smoke." -- Randolph Dupree

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
11-24-2008 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Re: Adopt a Philosophy of Abundance!

"Now, I want you to try to remember the 7th girl you ever kissed."

You know, I can't remember the first girl I kissed. Funny how that works out. Maybe that's because not everybody has over 9000 girlfriends.
11-24-2008 11:53 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Something_Spacey Wrote:How Do You Apply This to Meeting Women?
Wow, you turned something intelligent into a "pick up" article. Noo

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
11-24-2008 03:58 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

mmmm, no thanks.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
11-24-2008 05:03 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:
Noo

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
11-25-2008 01:45 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:"Now, I want you to try to remember the 7th girl you ever kissed."
I've never kissed a girl.

lol, I made a typo. I wrote: I've never killed a girl.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-25-2008 04:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

''Now, I want you to try to remember the 7th girl you ever kissed."

i havent ever kissed a girl. i havent kissed seven lads either =]

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
11-25-2008 05:16 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

random_name Wrote:''Now, I want you to try to remember the 7th girl you ever kissed."

i havent ever kissed a girl. i havent kissed seven lads either =]
This.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
11-25-2008 05:48 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

Something_Spacey Wrote:
Hidden stuff:
There is a lot of wisdom in here. I hope you guys get something out of it. I know I did.

Quote:This is a post about something that underlies your skill set. It's the foundation. The skills or method is the house.

It's about adopting a philosophy of abundance, and why that's important.

I first came across the concept in Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,

Essentially, there are two positions or "philosophies" people tend to have about stuff in the universe. (By stuff I mean money, possessions, cars, friends, women, anything that has a form.)

A Philosophy of Scarcity
People who have a philosophy of "scarcity" believe that there's a limited amount of "stuff" in the world. Because they believe there's a limited amount, they try to grab as much as they can. If you want to watch this in the field, go to an all-you-can-eat buffet sometime and watch the sparks fly from the serving spoons. You'd think people are eating their last meal. And in some resepcts they believe they are.

Or watch insecure guys stick like white on rice to a set that's practically begging the guys to go away. The guys act as if this is their last chance to get laid.

They see everything as scarce. In short supply. Almost gone.

A Philosophy of Abundance
People who have a philosophy of abundance believe that there is plenty to go around, no matter what it is. They don't hoard things because they know there's more where that came from, whatever it is.

In biblical times farmers were asked not to cut (harvest) the "corners" of their fields -- there's enough for everyone, so let others have some of yours. They were supposed to leave some for people who didn't have much.

More recently, the personal finance expert Suze Orman found that the clients of hers who consistently gave to charity had portfolios that significantly outpaced those of clients who gave little or nothing to others.

I've observed this myself in business ... in ways that would be a departure from this thread and this Forum if I tried to explain it. But my philosophy over the past few years has been this:

Give it away. It comes back.

How Do You Apply This to Meeting Women?
One of the consistent themes in threads throughout the Forum is the frustration of guys who see a target or set slipping away, and grab desperately at the smoke and fumes to try to get it back.

Big mistake.

That shows a philosophy of scarcity. It says, to anyone who can perceive it, "I must have this target right now, because they're in short supply! I have to get this one!"

It's at the core of blown sets and one-itis ... hanging on when you should move on.

It's the idea that "if I don't get this one, there will never be another."

I know it's strange to see that in text -- because it looks silly sitting out there all by itself. But that's what many of us tell ourselves all the time.

Do this simple test: I want you to try to remember the first girl you ever kissed. For most of us it's easy, right? Because she was the first, you remember everything -- where you were, who she was, what she was wearing.

Now, I want you to try to remember the 7th girl you ever kissed. You can't do it. She's just another thread in the fabric of your life, and your memories. One of many. Not unimportant, just one of many.

The point is that when you adopt a position of abundance about women, you realize that there are many beautiful, smart, sensitive, sexy, fun, exotic, serious and happy women out there. There are millions of them, in fact.

After breaking up with my first real girlfriend, I was moping around the house. My grandmother was there and asked me what was wrong. I told her, she said, with a slight Russian accent -- "Don't vorry about dis one girl ... girls are like busses -- if you mees one, another one will be right arount de corner."

She was right. And she didn't mean any disrespect to women.

You don't have to grow old before you realize how powerful it is to adopt a position of abundance. It will change your frame because it changes your values. It changes your life, too, in ways you can't imagine.

You won't sweat the next set because you know there are endless sets after that -- as many as you'd like. You won't sweat getting blown out, because you know that while the chicks in that three-set are sitting at that little table laughing in your face, they are but a few people in the whole club, in one club among many in your city, among thousands of cities in this country, in just one country on this big fucking planet. They are quite literally a speck of dust in a huge universe.

That moment doesn't mean a thing.

With a philosophy of abundance, you'll walk away from that set energized to know that because they weren't the ones for you, the "real" ones are still out there ... you just got another dud out of your system.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't work on skills. You should. But when you have a philosophy of abundance underneath those skills, it's like gliding instead of plodding along.

Don't just apply it to pick-up, or you'll be missing an opportunity to improve -- not change -- who you are. Someone trying to get in front of your car in traffic? Let them. There are studies that show when people let others in front, those people drive more courteously, too. Apparently a philosophy of abundance can be contagious.

Show up at the bar door at the exact same time someone else does? Let them go first. Do it just because you can. There are plenty of more doors to walk through.

Look for ways to put more good things into the world. When you do that, the world will pay you back in abundance. In your social life. You love life. Your work life. Your whole life.

Thanks for reading. I've been wanting to share this for some time.

"You're catching me on a day where I'm throwing seven different kinds of smoke." -- Randolph Dupree
ha ha, no

"It's okay! I can take my time and I'll still get everything I want!"
"Oops, I'm too late, I missed out! Everybody got what they wanted because they were aggressively assertive - except me! Looks like I'll have to wait for another supply of that stuff to get it..."
11-25-2008 09:36 AM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:

wasn't me Rolleyes

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
11-25-2008 11:08 AM