RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FUUUUUUUUUCK I WANNA KILL SOMETHING
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
FUUUUUUUUUCK I WANNA KILL SOMETHING

I have to write a 5 page research paper and I cant use wikipedia as a source in the bibliography, which where I have found all my information so far. When you google the same thing it takes forever to find an actually usable website. Wikipedia is more reliable than all of those shitty personal pages that pop up in the search results after wikipedia.

also here is something dumb I saw on wikianswers

Q: Should attending school be mandatory?
A: I absolutely think it should, with todays technology there is no way to go through life without a proper education. I believe that if we were still in the "olden days," I would say no it is not, but today is so much different. In my state if you want a job that pays more than $5.35/hour you better have a high school education.

Answer
K-12 absolutely. I have answered before that the purpose of education is civilization. We want our whole society to be the best educated as possible. Post high school, however, I think our job market has created an artificial demand on college degrees. Jobs that only need a diploma now require a degree to obtain.

Sounds like brainwashing to me

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
12-15-2008 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Re: FUUUUUUUUUCK I WANNA KILL SOMETHING

how will your school know if you do use wikipedia?

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
12-15-2008 08:28 AM
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

the bibliography

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
12-15-2008 08:29 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

ok, now in terms i understand.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
12-15-2008 08:31 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

The bibliography is the part of a research paper where you have to list your sources.

I say use wikipedia, but use one of those useless sites as a reference on the paper.
12-15-2008 08:38 AM
Cory Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Wikipedia states its sources. Use those?

Or do what Oni said and just make up a site to use(find one on Google).

<&Darthmat> Cory, you ecxell me in phpBB3, I will mail you a dollar.
12-15-2008 09:17 AM
Bri Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Ouch. The most I've had to write was a three page, double spaced paper.

I have a five paragraph essay that I haven't started that's due tomorrow, though. Oops.

Complete offers and surveys for money, for those 13+. Free to join. If you sign up, check the message center - there should be a message from me.

Swagbucks - free to sign up, 13+. Earn points by using their search engine, etc. and exchange points for prizes(like giftcards.)
12-15-2008 09:28 AM
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I forget where I read this, but one idea stated in this site is simply:

(1) Look up papers online (like the ones that you can get that students have done), but be smart about it, get like 5-10 of them, lay them out in front of you, and combine them. Re-write them in your own words, because some teachers have special programs that scan for plagerism.

(2) Look up books on amazon and websites for you bibliography.

The End (but you didn't hear it from me)
12-15-2008 09:32 AM
Whistler Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

You can use Wikipedia, most people just don't realize this and are stupid. go to the bottom of the page of the wiki article and there you will almost always find at least 50+ REAL SOURCES on popular subjects.
12-16-2008 06:56 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

just use some boring research siotes as your bibliography then.

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

12-16-2008 08:45 PM
KittyXxXFowl Offline
Rebel

good idea, use find the titles of some very boring books or sites. Teachers never seem to check where your info came from.
12-16-2008 08:58 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

KittyXxXFowl Wrote:good idea, use find the titles of some very boring books or sites. Teachers never seem to check where your info came from.

mine do, you're just lucky

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

12-16-2008 08:59 PM
KittyXxXFowl Offline
Rebel

erm sarah............WE GO TO THE SAME SCHOOL!
12-16-2008 09:02 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

KittyXxXFowl Wrote:erm sarah............WE GO TO THE SAME SCHOOL!

think i didnt notice that? XD

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

12-16-2008 09:03 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Cory Wrote:Wikipedia states its sources. Use those?
This. Just use all the sources wiki cites.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
12-16-2008 10:30 PM