RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answer this simple question
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Answer this simple question

To understand the question better it would be best to first read this fake Q&A I made up

S= student, T=Teacher

T: and that is how you solve X for a polynomial function
S: what is the point of learning this?
T: Well it is part of the classes ciricullum
S: Ya, but what benefit will we have learning this?
T: Well by learning this you can graduate and go to college
S: Whats the point of that?
T: You can get a college diploma
S: So?
T: With a diploma you can get a good job and make lots of money
S: Why do I need to make lots of money?
T: Post with youre answer for here

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
12-15-2008 09:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: Answer this simple question

T: You need to make a lot of money so that you can be successful. So that you can have a big house in the suburbs, a wife, three little rugrats and a dog named "Scruffy."
S: How do you define the word, "success?"
T: That is the definition of success. You see, by taking this course, you are pretty much guaranteed to be successful.
S: No it's not, and why do I need to take this course?
T: You don't understand, it is the government's job to tell you how to live your life. The government wants you to be successful and you become successful by letting the government control your life.
S: What if I wanted to be a rock star or something?
T: That's not real. Music is just a hobby ( Wink ) Anything in the arts is not real.
S: *gives up and facepalms*
12-15-2008 09:15 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

T- We're teaching you this because it is on the tests that measure your performances in these subjects.

The real answer they don't know or don't want you to know-

T- Because it's a brainwashing technique.
12-15-2008 10:10 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

You need to make lots of money because everyone on the planet is scared shitless of not having lots of money. They can't possibly imagine that someone would willingly choose not to have lots of money. They see money as the requirement for happiness and everything else good in life... they think that in order to do what you really want to with your life, you first need lots of money. What they don't think of though, is they never define how much is "lots"... so they spend most of their lives saving up money and never actually do anything worthwhile with it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-16-2008 03:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:You need to make lots of money because everyone on the planet is scared shitless of not having lots of money. They can't possibly imagine that someone would willingly choose not to have lots of money. They see money as the requirement for happiness and everything else good in life... they think that in order to do what you really want to with your life, you first need lots of money. What they don't think of though, is they never define how much is "lots"... so they spend most of their lives saving up money and never actually do anything worthwhile with it.

Sources? I need to better understand the logistics of what to expect when I try to find a house around here.

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
12-16-2008 05:17 AM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

You shouldn't generalise all teachers like this. It's beginning to piss me off.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
12-16-2008 08:24 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

In Soviet Russia, etc.
12-16-2008 09:03 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Hanhan Wrote:You shouldn't generalise all teachers like this. It's beginning to piss me off.

Yeah... teachers are people too. Even if we manage to convince them, it'll suck for them because school is their job...

As for people always thinking that money make you "successful", it's not quite always that way though, people don't consider plumbers successful even though they rake in tons of money, when bank robbers have success they aren't considered "successful" either... Teachers want to be considered "successful" but if you ask one of them if they are, they start to get mad...

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
12-17-2008 03:11 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

You need tons of money because everyone is scared of the underdog.

Everyone wants it to be predicable, no surprises.

woah dude
dude woah
12-22-2008 02:22 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

assaultmedic Wrote:Why do I need to make lots of money?
You don't. You don't need to do anything. :/

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
12-22-2008 02:26 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Hanhan Wrote:You shouldn't generalise all teachers like this. It's beginning to piss me off.

it doesnt piss me off, but you have a point.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
12-22-2008 04:09 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

T: So that you can get a house and be happy.
S: What if I'd rather be happy doing something I love that doesn't make a lot of money, like being an artist or something?
T: Then you'll be a failure as an adult because you won't be making a lot of money because that is the ultimate goal in life.
S: I'd rather be a horrible failure doing something I love than being an astounding success in a job I hate.
T: Well, that's just how things work. We don't care what you think, we're working off of the curriculum, which is designed to make you a success the way society wants.
S: First off, since when is making money being successful? That's just your opinion. Second, how will this aid me in becoming, for example, a great real estate agent?
T: That's a universally recognized fact. And, because it... well, it... see, learning this will... it will... teach you... abstract... thinking?

Student goes on to have students vote on whether they'd rather do something they love and be poor or something they hate and be a success, and then asks how abstract thinking contributes to any job.

T: Go to the principal, Jeremy.
S: Go fuck yourself, Ms. Hill.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
12-28-2008 03:21 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Squittle Wrote:T: So that you can get a house and be happy.
S: What if I'd rather be happy doing something I love that doesn't make a lot of money, like being an artist or something?
T: Then you'll be a failure as an adult because you won't be making a lot of money because that is the ultimate goal in life.
S: I'd rather be a horrible failure doing something I love than being an astounding success in a job I hate.
T: Well, that's just how things work. We don't care what you think, we're working off of the curriculum, which is designed to make you a success the way society wants.
S: First off, since when is making money being successful? That's just your opinion. Second, how will this aid me in becoming, for example, a great real estate agent?
T: That's a universally recognized fact. And, because it... well, it... see, learning this will... it will... teach you... abstract... thinking?

Student goes on to have students vote on whether they'd rather do something they love and be poor or something they hate and be a success, and then asks how abstract thinking contributes to any job.

T: Go to the principal, Jeremy.
S: Go fuck yourself, Ms. Hill.
Did this by any chance, actually happen?

Epic win book.
12-28-2008 04:05 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:Did this by any chance, actually happen?

Oh how I wish. I was talking to my English teacher and I asked when we would use the stuff we were learning in math - just offhandedly - and she said it would teach us abstract thinking. She didn't explain why that would help me "succeed".

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
12-28-2008 04:23 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Quote:With a diploma you can get a good job and make lots of money

I don't think so
12-28-2008 08:38 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

T: because if you didnt grow up and live on your half ass salary and pay the government an arm and a leg to control you and tell you what to do. rich people who kissed asses and sat around on theyre fat asses all theyre life might have to actually pay taxes and make a fair living. also people like our power hungry presidents and stupid politicians would lose theyre office and honest integrity driven people might take over!
12-28-2008 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

@Squittle: You really should try to get your teacher into one of these debates. It's always lulzy watches them squirm when you start asking lots of questions they can't answer.

Epic win book.
12-28-2008 07:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Post i had in answer to my language topic on another forum KitsuneSefam 3 1,652 09-20-2008 07:16 AM
Last Post: KitsuneSefam
  Simple ways to defy school? Alway 14 5,327 08-02-2008 05:28 AM
Last Post: ChickenLeg