RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lonely?
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
Lonely?

Hidden stuff:
I say this post shouldn't be here, but thunder made me through peer pressure. D:<

So, here is our hypothetical situation. A boy is taught the very basics of self preservation by some super duper computer and the boy is then stranded . The location is irrelevant. He has access to nutrients, water, shelter, etc. No contact with anything, though. Humans and animals.

But would he be lonely? He never knew human companionship. He doesn't remember the computer that taught him his basics needs. People naturally want to be with one another. But could he really miss something he never had? Something he never even heard of? As far as he knows he is the only thing alive. He doesn't even know how to speak. Would he be aware of his feeling to reproduce without even knowing he is male, or would he just feel the urge to masturbate? Or would he feel so completely alone and depressed, without even knowing why, that his urge to survive would wane to the point of suicide?

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
12-28-2008 05:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Re: Lonely?

I say that he would know there is a hole inside him, but he wouldn't know what to fill it with. He would be lonely, but he wouldn't know it.
12-28-2008 06:10 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Yeah, I think he would be. Humans are hard-wired to requirea certain degree of socialization. Some things people just need, whether they've had them before or not. If you took a baby and never gave him food, he wouldn't know what it was like to be full but he'd know hunger. It's the same way with some mental things too. He wouldn't die or anything, but his mind would end up much different than a social person's.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-29-2008 01:55 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

He'd have the urge to frequently masturbate though possibly not to reproduce or for companionship. Most likely he would use his human intuition, innovation and opposable thumbs to attempt escape the unspecified location just out of natural curiosity. Whether or not he's succeed in his escape is irrelevant yet proves the human mind's natural desire for exploration and knowledge. This scenario used as an experiment could very well help with the understanding of human development and the difference between natural and social factors in human behavior and if what is believed to social factors are actually natural factors and that socialization has less importance than previously thought.
12-29-2008 05:09 AM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I think the kid would be likely to replace the human contact which he never knew by becoming attachted to objects-making friends with rocks and stuff. Just my opinion though, but I think that's a likely scenario.

It does kinda depend on how the setting would exactly be, unless it would be well worked out I think stimuli dperivation would lead to retardation, skewing the results.

As for suicide, I doubt it. Think about it, humans aren't born knowing what death is. As you grew up in a world where people died, you learned what it is. However, since he'd be completely isolated from all living things, he wouldn't even know what death is. Hence, the idea of inducing it would not even occur to him.

Maxwell Wrote:This scenario used as an experiment could very well help with the understanding of human development and the difference between natural and social factors in human behavior and if what is believed to social factors are actually natural factors and that socialization has less importance than previously thought.
In theory, yes. In practice, I'd personally strangle anyone who'd unneccessarily put the kid through this for the sake of "understanding human development".

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
12-30-2008 12:08 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

soooo..... i kinda got ask wre u got this from but anyways

he'd be in his head alot he'd grow multiple personalities which would take away the urge for human contact and yea not knowing much he'd prolly do like basic stuff like jerk off maybe cut himself but he'd keep jerkin off cause it would feel good but wouldnt cut himself cause it would hurt basic human testing

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
01-15-2009 04:21 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

i think he would be lonely. it would consume him but he wouldn't know what it is or how to fix it. i think it would turn him "wild" if you will. and even if he ever came into contact with a human he would never be able to fit into society. there have been cases where people have found kids/teens who have been cut off from society all they're life and all but one couldn't adapt to it.
01-16-2009 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i would be fine.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
01-16-2009 08:13 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Laugh of course you would
01-17-2009 02:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

i-am-the-liquor Wrote:i-am-the-liquor
Well, it's not like it could get any worse.

01-17-2009 11:16 PM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

thought criminal Wrote:Laugh of course you would

one, fuck you. two, what the fuck is so god damn funny?

Puchiko Wrote:

its a quote from trailer park boy's you dumb bitch. jim lahey is a drunk, he mentiond it in several episodes the phrase" i am the liquor", so fuck you aswell.

I dont mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am,so thats how it comes out.- bill hicks
01-17-2009 11:18 PM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

i-am-the-liquor Wrote:
thought criminal Wrote:Laugh of course you would

one, fuck you. two, what the fuck is so god damn funny?

Puchiko Wrote:

its a quote from trailer park boy's you dumb bitch. jim lahey is a drunk, he mentiond it in several episodes the phrase" i am the liquor", so fuck you aswell.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your username-I wanted to cite your post "i would be fine." and meant that you are probably as fucked up as even possible-social isolation couldn't make it worse. However, I messed up with the formatting-still, you could lay off the profanity.

01-18-2009 07:35 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

You are not above other people, you would be just as affected. In fact, you love other people around you. You thrive off the attention they give you when you hate them.

I highly suggest Mobb Deep's albums The Infamous and Hell on Earth, if you have not listened to it yet.
01-18-2009 08:59 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Darthmat Wrote:You are not above other people, you would be just as affected. In fact, you love other people around you. You thrive off the attention they give you when you hate them.
facepalm.jpg

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong little man. i am above other people. and how do you know i would be "just as affected", stick me on a island then you fucking tool. if i thrived off attention i would be in school doing this. i simply hate you people. not to much to read into that you moron. fucksakes. are you freaud(sp?) or something? as he said" sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar".

01-18-2009 09:11 AM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

i-am-the-liquor Wrote:facepalm.jpg

I turn his .jpg back on him!
01-18-2009 10:43 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Wasn't there some dictator that tried to raise some babies in isolation? They were only fed, but otherwise had no contact at all but stayed in solitary confinement.

I don't have a source for this, so maybe just bad memory about something else.

i-am-the-liquor Wrote:
Darthmat Wrote:You are not above other people, you would be just as affected. In fact, you love other people around you. You thrive off the attention they give you when you hate them.
facepalm.jpg

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong little man. i am above other people. and how do you know i would be "just as affected", stick me on a island then you fucking tool. if i thrived off attention i would be in school doing this. i simply hate you people. not to much to read into that you moron. fucksakes. are you freaud(sp?) or something? as he said" sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar".

Stop posting.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-18-2009 10:46 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

Stratovarius Wrote:Wasn't there some dictator that tried to raise some babies in isolation? They were only fed, but otherwise had no contact at all but stayed in solitary confinement.

I don't have a source for this, so maybe just bad memory about something else.

i-am-the-liquor Wrote:
facepalm.jpg

Stop posting.

hmmm, no. ive got many things to say.

01-18-2009 10:53 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Not anything worthwhile.
01-18-2009 11:10 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

neither do you

01-18-2009 11:10 AM
Darthmat Offline
Fanatic

Quote:wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong little man.
Lol! You're trying to use the condescending tone I used on you to piss me off. Very cute.
Quote: i am above other people.
How so?
Quote:and how do you know i would be "just as affected", stick me on a island then you fucking tool.
'cus you don't defy humanities biological mental and emotional needs.
Quote: if i thrived off attention i would be in school doing this.
No, you do it here, because we can't actually hurt you. You don't do it in school because you are realy, really, afraid. And they can hurt you there.
Quote:i simply hate you people. not to much to read into that you moron.
If you hate us, then why do you post here? fucksakes.
Quote:are you freaud(sp?) or something? as he said" sometimes a cigar, is just a cigar".
Frued. And Frued also discovered the subconcious, along with unconcious. While somtimes a cigar is a cigar, a person is far more complex. And, you have psychological processes going on you're not fully aware of. Of course, it takes only common sense to uncover them. And I think a lot of us have here, and seen past your flaunted and obvious bullshit.

01-18-2009 11:22 AM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

classclown Wrote:soooo..... i kinda got ask wre u got this from but anyways

he'd be in his head alot he'd grow multiple personalities which would take away the urge for human contact and yea not knowing much he'd prolly do like basic stuff like jerk off maybe cut himself but he'd keep jerkin off cause it would feel good but wouldnt cut himself cause it would hurt basic human testing
Shut the fuck up, Multiple Personality Disorder, or Dissociative Personality Disorder, is a fictional disease, but in reported cases, it happened because if severe physical, sexual,or emotional trauma, and the 'barriers' in the brain develop to hide away the pain of what happened.

I believe the child would die, fast.

i-am-the-liquor Wrote:i am above other people.

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
01-18-2009 05:05 PM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

dude lil kids make up imaginary friends which is pretty much a multi personality thing why wouldnt a guy by himself make up stuff like that so stop bitching damn

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
01-18-2009 06:37 PM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

No, I;m writing a novel about a man with DID, real multiple personalities manifest in audible and visual hallucinations, as well as self harm, and depression. Stop breathing, or g play in traffic, see how fast a sports car can shut off it's breaks if you jump onto the highway...

actually, don't.

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
01-19-2009 01:14 AM
i-am-the-liquor Offline
Fanatic

lol, at school i dont have time to talk shit you stupid fucking keik. i want to fucking kill you , fucking son of a bitch.

01-19-2009 11:16 AM
cryptevah72 Offline
Fanatic

my god this is like a better, slightly more serious version of the fb conv with the bitchs isnt it? (matt)

let me ask a question, liquor, as i guess u are now, u've been here for quite a while, as have most of everyone in this thread, forgive me if this topic is a bit old, but anyway, why are you still arguing over this? i cant say this with utmost finality, because no one can ever be completely right or sure about anything, but according to basic human psycology and many other things, you care. you obviously have some compulsion to continue posting. whether you truly do it only becaue you hate everyone and for some reason glean pleasure from posting (?) is irrelevant, but you do care.

anyway, to the origianal question: idk... the question is really whether companionship and whatnot is a part of our psyche, a part of human instinct, or if its jsut learned. perhaps through evolution or somesuch these days, its becomd part of our biological make-up to literally need companionship. i mean, even animas who run only on instinct (not saying they do, i personally believe they have some form of free will) but lets say, they still have the instict to mate, its like, that same urge that tells them to eat, to sleep. so for a human, even if they were ignorant of almost everything, they would still have their instincts and urges...so i think perhaps they would be lonely, even if they could put the word "lonely" to the feeling... but again, i wouldnt know for sure

and strat; dont ask why i know this. it was an egyptian pharaoh in the seventh century, and he isolated a phrygian and an egyptian baby and had them fed by a dumb (as in mute) goatherd, in order to determine the origianal language of the human race. ultimatley, the phrygians supposedly won because the first word said by the children was "bek," the phryian word for bread. (theres apperantly a joke about this, that the kids were probably only immitating the goats...) well anyway it was excepted that they were older than the egyptians, and even the pharaoh accepted it

so yeah...

i am me myself and i
we are very much the same
different types of entities
under one single name

Flock <3
01-19-2009 12:24 PM