RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radical forum change
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)
Radical forum change

Okay. Before the morons flock in and start labelling me as an elitist at least hear my fucking argument first.

SS, for those people who don't know because they're knew, used to have different names for forums. School discussion wasn't divided into School & Youth Rights Discussion and School Ramblings, it was just School Talk. There was a forum called Rise Against which has now sort of been taken over by Newspapers & Zines, United Students and Alternative Learning & Income. If I recall correctly Rise Against did have a subforum, and that was Alternative Learning, but I could be wrong.

There wasn't a Philosophical Discussion, you would just put those in General Talk. The Frag Arena and Recycle Bin used to be two different forums, not one as a subset of the other. As for Other Languages, it didn't exist but I'm kind of indifferent towards that one as it doesn't really seem to cause any harm.

I think it's hard to agree on one reason why many people think the forums suck (and yes I'm making this thread because we were in IRC talking about how they suck), but I think I know one reason.

Why not have all the school threads together? That way you could have a mix of intelligent threads without having all the crap ones dumped in Ramblings. People might be more willing to post good things.

Why not have the Phil Discussion forums in General, for the same reason?

The Welcome forum didn't exist, either, and as I can see it's done no real good. It's fairly pointless. Those threads can just go in General as well.

Can we at least TRY this before dismissing me as a mental nutcase like EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY OTHER THREADS? I feel that if we stop making so many divisions (School Talk was broken into two with the expectation that the stupid posts would be moved to Ramblings and that S & YR D would be the one containing the good posts, which mostly works, except that you have a lot of bad topics in Ramblings (which isn't to say people shouldn't complain about school because that's what the site is for)) it would be a lot better.
12-28-2008 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: Radical forum change

I agree wholeheartedly!

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
12-29-2008 12:00 AM
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Good Idea, I think it could work.
12-29-2008 12:11 AM
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I say we bring down the ban hammer on everyone.
12-29-2008 05:24 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

It won't have any affect on me. So, I can't really say if it's a good idea or not. :/

P.S. The reason it won't, is because I exclusively use this link to browse the forums. Only time I see individual boards is when I make a new thread.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
12-29-2008 05:29 AM
Quioxte Offline
Pariah

Given 12 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Maxwell Wrote:I say we bring down the ban hammer on everyone.

NO. That's what I love about this forum, nobody really ever gets banned, it's really loosy goosey (sorry for the use of a horrible term). But people can actually have fun and make semi-spammy topics and nobody gets yelled at or banned.
12-29-2008 07:26 AM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Hmm. I think it would be beneficial to simplify the layout a bit.

Oy, and I'd just like to say that thunder's no elitist. He's a damn good guy, even if he sometimes is a bit of a deadpan snarker. :P

K
S
12-29-2008 08:55 PM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Scooby Snacks Wrote:Hmm. I think it would be beneficial to simplify the layout a bit.
This logic is sound! Simplifying things is always a good idea.

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
12-29-2008 09:14 PM
Puchiko Offline
Pariah

Given 15 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

I remember when School Talk was split in the first place. SoulRiser felt it was overrun with inferior rants-it was the first forum anzone would post in. She hoped to keep the garbage in School Ramblings, and have only thought-provoking intelligent topics in School&Youth Rights discussion.

I don't think it worked out, there's many rants in School&Youth Rights discussion, and very little of the posts it was designated for. Hence, I support merging the two since their current content is similar as it is.

Merging Philosophy and General talk-not a good idea. General talk is currently just a little better Recycle Bin, I don't want to dig among the rotten food to find the jewelry.

I also disagree with merging the welcome forum, it's a good first stop for newbies. Plus, it has lots of important stickies, and General Talk already has more than enough of those.

Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
12-29-2008 10:24 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

It wouldn't really have much of an effect on my use of the forums, because i just click new posts.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
12-30-2008 01:38 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

random_name Wrote:It wouldn't really have much of an effect on my use of the forums, because i just click new posts.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-30-2008 02:19 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY!!!

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
12-30-2008 05:17 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

|55555| Wrote:
random_name Wrote:It wouldn't really have much of an effect on my use of the forums, because i just click new posts.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
12-30-2008 08:19 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Puchiko Wrote:Merging Philosophy and General talk-not a good idea. General talk is currently just a little better Recycle Bin, I don't want to dig among the rotten food to find the jewelry.

I also disagree with merging the welcome forum, it's a good first stop for newbies. Plus, it has lots of important stickies, and General Talk already has more than enough of those.

It's my two problems with Thunder's plan.

If we follow the same logic, why don't we merge politics and voices along with General Talk? Why should it be only Philosophy? While being here, why don't we just have 3 forum sections? School, General Talk and Recycle Bin.

Throwing jewelry(retaking Puchiko's imagery ;p ) into trash won't make the trash decent because that's just the easy way to do it. Make the trash decent in the first place before throwing jewelry in it. As Puchiko said, having to dig through crash to find the jewelry is not a good incentive to get people to post.

john tuttle Wrote:SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY!!!

I think he got the satire perfectly.
12-30-2008 10:24 AM
Fanatic

"the same logic"

No, you're just an idiot who didn't read the topic. I just thought that the Philosophy Discussion forum could be deleted and topics like that could be put in General.

Anyway, maybe some other things could stay, but School Ramblings and School & Youth Rights Discussion should be merged into School Talk.
12-30-2008 11:15 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:"the same logic"

No, you're just an idiot who didn't read the topic. I just thought that the Philosophy Discussion forum could be deleted and topics like that could be put in General.

That means "merging" Philosophy and General by deleting Philosophy. If you find Philosophy useless enough to not have a forum section, then why politics should have one?

I read the topic, thanks for reminding me. Read my post next time instead of being a idiot who doesn't read.
12-30-2008 01:59 PM
Fanatic

No, YOU'RE the idiot, you fucking douchebag. You come onto this topic saying "oh, by that logic let's just move voices and politics into general talk..."

No. Just the Philosophical Discussion forum. Read what I wrote.
12-30-2008 02:07 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:No, YOU'RE the idiot, you fucking douchebag. You come onto this topic saying "oh, by that logic let's just move voices and politics into general talk..."

No. Just the Philosophical Discussion forum. Read what I wrote.

No, as I said above, if you find philosophy to be useless enough to be threwn along with all the garbage in general, EVERYTHING less important than it should go; politics, other languages, voices, artwork/writing.
12-30-2008 02:08 PM
Fanatic

I don't think the PD forum is unimportant. I think there's some good topics there. My point was that it might improve the forum posts if people made their topics in General. The point is that PD is good, but General sucks. That's why I wanted to delete it. Philosophical Discussion is a pretty broad forum, whereas Politics isn't, and anyway, Politics was here before before the huge forum expansion thing started. For those reasons you can't put Politics into General Talk.
12-30-2008 02:37 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:I don't think the PD forum is unimportant. I think there's some good topics there. My point was that it might improve the forum posts if people made their topics in General. The point is that PD is good, but General sucks. That's why I wanted to delete it. Philosophical Discussion is a pretty broad forum, whereas Politics isn't, and anyway, Politics was here before before the huge forum expansion thing started. For those reasons you can't put Politics into General Talk.

I understand. But putting gold on shit won't make the shit silver, it will probably just taint the gold with shit. See the frame?
12-30-2008 02:47 PM
Fanatic

No. Tell me why it wouldn't work instead of making "shit" analogies. Because I don't understand what the fuck you're talking about.
12-30-2008 02:51 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:No. Tell me why it wouldn't work instead of making "shit" analogies. Because I don't understand what the fuck you're talking about.

Drop the good topics on the trolled shitty ones, it won't make the shitty ones decent and non-trolled, you will probably just get trolls in the good ones.
12-30-2008 02:52 PM
Fanatic

I mean merging the forums. Delete the Phil Discussion forum and put the topics from there into General. And generally condense the forum. I think it would work if people gave it a chance.
12-30-2008 02:56 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:I mean merging the forums. Delete the Phil Discussion forum and put the topics from there into General. And generally condense the forum. I think it would work if people gave it a chance.

I don't, just look at the general board. I think many people will agree with me.
12-30-2008 03:08 PM
Fanatic

Yeah, but people seem to like the idea currently. A lot of people have agreed with me in this topic.
12-30-2008 03:11 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:Yeah, but people seem to like the idea currently. A lot of people have agreed with me in this topic.

Most people didn't care because they were using the view new posts function and the others agreed without giving any reason(most of them), those doesn't weight anything in a argument. However Puchiko made a very good point which you didn't answer to which I went further onto.

Simplicity doesn't mean better.
12-30-2008 03:19 PM
Fanatic

You still said people would disagree with me. People haven't really. And I did address Puchiko's issue. And she still partially agreed with me.
12-30-2008 03:23 PM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:You still said people would disagree with me. People haven't really. And I did address Puchiko's issue. And she still partially agreed with me.

Even I agree with you.

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
12-30-2008 03:46 PM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

L Wrote:
Maxwell Wrote:I say we bring down the ban hammer on everyone.

NO. That's what I love about this forum, nobody really ever gets banned, it's really loosy goosey (sorry for the use of a horrible term). But people can actually have fun and make semi-spammy topics and nobody gets yelled at or banned.
Ban hammer is only fun when running a CS server with your friends, or running a ventrillo or teamspeak server
12-30-2008 09:02 PM
Hanny Offline
Fanatic

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:It won't have any affect on me.

I hate to be off-topic and a grammar nazi, but you've used the wrong word. You want 'effect'. Affect is used as in 'this affects me' and 'effect' as in 'special effects'. Damn this complicated language... even I'm not sure if I got that right, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Anyway, I did like the forums better before the change. It was less complicated, easier to post in there, and I just think the separation is pointless.

[Image: 72eoaf.gif]
<Darthmat> I love the taste of meat in my mouth. Cory, I don't know how you live without it.
<Darthmat> "Forbidden meat tastes sweetest."

Penisometer
8======================================================================o
Conclusion: Still a penis.
12-30-2008 10:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do I change my forum rank? gore goroth 7 2,017 10-10-2011 11:35 PM
Last Post: sergeant