RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Poverty Act
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
Global Poverty Act

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjRpTzKt3Y

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-31-2008 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)
Re: Global Poverty Act

You don't have the "right" to free money if you're poor. If you're of legal working age and making less than $1 a day in the US to support your family, it's your own damn fault and you don't deserve any free handouts.
12-31-2008 09:52 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:You don't have the "right" to free money if you're poor. If you're of legal working age and making less than $1 a day in the US to support your family, it's your own damn fault and you don't deserve any free handouts.
agreed

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
12-31-2008 10:13 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

john tuttle Wrote:
BobManPerson Wrote:You don't have the "right" to free money if you're poor. If you're of legal working age and making less than $1 a day in the US to support your family, it's your own damn fault and you don't deserve any free handouts.
agreed

Who am I? Who are YOU?
12-31-2008 10:30 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

I must feel awful to be so deluded...

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
12-31-2008 01:09 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

To elaborate, let's use this hypothetical scenario: John gets straight F's throughout high school and doesn't go to college. He's been living with his parents until he's 25, and his parents kick him out of their house. He then decides to have sex with his girlfriend because he's a dumbass who doesn't think about what'll happen if he actually gets her pregnant. Nine months later, she gives birth to their son. Now they're (John, his girlfriend, and their child) living in the streets, and John works as a begger and begs people for money while his girlfriend tries to take care of their son.

Is that the kind of guy you want to give your money to?
12-31-2008 01:25 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Quite possibly, yes, because you're choosing to focus on only the negatives of the person. There are any number of reasons he did what he did. You're probably not much better.
12-31-2008 01:29 PM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:Quite possibly, yes, because you're choosing to focus on only the negatives of the person. There are any number of reasons he did what he did. You're probably not much better.
Cuckoo

12-31-2008 03:26 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

What I mean is that if he doesn't know the person, he can't say he deserves it. There might be many reasons why that person did what he did.
12-31-2008 03:43 PM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Let's look at John's life differently. Let's say John went t an intercity underfunded over populated high school with not enough half decent teachers, and too many bad students. So he flunks out of high school, never goes to college, and no jobs glance his way because his school was poor and he couldn't pass. He lives in his parents house till he's 25 and becomes increasingly depressed losing every job he gets because of this. He ends up having a baby with his girlfriend who loses her job to take care of the kid, because her husband is trying to get a job. He then has to beg every day for food and money. Is that his fault or the government?

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
01-01-2009 10:23 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Suppose John does deserve it. You've still forgotten two important things.
1. Most poor people aren't like John. They were born poor and can't escape poverty. If you think that anyone can rise from the slums to become CEO of GE, you're insane.
2. John's baby. He didn't ask to be born into such shitty circumstances. Are you saying he should be allowed to rot away in the ghetto just because of his father's mistakes?

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
01-01-2009 10:37 AM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:Suppose John does deserve it. You've still forgotten two important things.
1. Most poor people aren't like John. They were born poor and can't escape poverty. If you think that anyone can rise from the slums to become CEO of GE, you're insane.
2. John's baby. He didn't ask to be born into such shitty circumstances. Are you saying he should be allowed to rot away in the ghetto just because of his father's mistakes?
Society sucks like that, our world tries to keep the poor well, poor and the rich in power
01-01-2009 10:39 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Damn right. The real world killed communism and it's killing capitalism just the same.

01-01-2009 02:50 PM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

the forgotten Wrote:Let's look at John's life differently. Let's say John went t an intercity underfunded over populated high school with not enough half decent teachers, and too many bad students. So he flunks out of high school, never goes to college, and no jobs glance his way because his school was poor and he couldn't pass. He lives in his parents house till he's 25 and becomes increasingly depressed losing every job he gets because of this. He ends up having a baby with his girlfriend who loses her job to take care of the kid, because her husband is trying to get a job. He then has to beg every day for food and money. Is that his fault or the government?
That's not the hypothetical situation I expected you to think of. And I find it sick and wrong that you're defending laziness and calling it welfare. You want to defend the poverty-stricken assholes who expect money to be given to them because they don't do shit? Fine, go ahead. You can try to justify yourself all you want, but you'll always be wrong, no matter what.

P.S. Oprah was born into poverty; look where she is now. Same with Travis Barker.
01-01-2009 03:22 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

BobManPerson Wrote:That's not the hypothetical situation I expected you to think of. And I find it sick and wrong that you're defending laziness and calling it welfare. You want to defend the poverty-stricken assholes who expect money to be given to them because they don't do shit? Fine, go ahead. You can try to justify yourself all you want, but you'll always be wrong, no matter what.
Typical conservative response: Fight reason with venom and hate anyone who's not like you. Did it ever occur to you that the lazy poor people are the exception, not the rule, and that most (let me say that again: MOST) poor people work their asses off, a lot harder than you or any rich person does, and are still kept in poverty by circumstance or just plain bad luck? What about them? Why should the majority of the world be treated like scum because of a few people's laziness?

Quote:P.S. Oprah was born into poverty; look where she is now. Same with Travis Barker.
Yes, let's base our entire financial system off Oprah. Why didn't they choose you do deal with the economic crisis, you obviously know what you're doing. Cool

01-02-2009 01:09 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:Typical conservative response: Fight reason with venom and hate anyone who's not like you [...] most (let me say that again: MOST) poor people work their asses off, a lot harder than you or any rich person does [...]
First part: Everybody's like that. I just choose to admit it.
Second part: before my dad is where he is now, he worked his ass off, harder than anyone else at his office. He worked early in the morning to late hours at night, and often didn't even take weekends off. Now he's making at least $150,000 a year, and he still works his ass off. Not as hard as he used to, but he still works really hard.

You and everyone else who wants to treat the lazy asshats who don't do shit are what I like to refer to as the Other Side. I know how the Other Side thinks; the Other Side does not think.
01-02-2009 08:26 AM
the forgotten Offline
Pariah

Both my paarents work, dad two jobs mom one, and we make half of what you make, are we inferior because both of my parents were raised shit poor, and couldn't afford t continue education, and were raised in harsh families?

Dance, when you're broken up.
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.
Dance in the middle of the fighting.
Dance in your blood.
Dance, when you're perfectly free.
-- rumi --
01-02-2009 03:18 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

BobManPerson Wrote:First part: Everybody's like that. I just choose to admit it.
Second part: before my dad is where he is now, he worked his ass off, harder than anyone else at his office. He worked early in the morning to late hours at night, and often didn't even take weekends off. Now he's making at least $150,000 a year, and he still works his ass off. Not as hard as he used to, but he still works really hard.
You actually want to design the world's financial system based on the examples of Oprah and your dad? Genius. How about some actual, real-world information that applies to the larger world? Because, believe it or not, there is a world outside your family.

Quote:You and everyone else who wants to treat the lazy asshats who don't do shit are what I like to refer to as the Other Side. I know how the Other Side thinks; the Other Side does not think.

Lazy asshats who don't do shit deserve shit. That I agree with you on. I'm concerned with the people who got fucked over by the circumstances of their birth and work hard without ever getting anywhere, and they make up the vast majority of the world's poor.

I guess I just don't understand how your side thinks either. It's like you look at one personally relevent example, project that over the rest of the world, and then if anyone doesn't fit into that projection you get so afraid of being proven wrong that you just drown them out with ranting and irrational hate. Statistics and facts get replaced with mindless slogans and emotionally-charged groupthink. It must suck to have a mind like that. Hating everyone different than you can tire you out after a while.

01-03-2009 05:32 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

If all of the poor people you try to justify worked as hard as you described, they probably would've gotten promoted or a pay raise. The fact that they don't get any of those are proof that they're lazy and don't feel like working that hard.
01-04-2009 03:13 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

I think that an avarage chinese boy/girl would agree with BMP, stupid lazy chinese...

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
01-04-2009 04:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Gobinu Wrote:I think that avarage chinese boy/girl would agree with BMP, stupid lazy chinese...
lulz, but i have to agree with him on this topic

01-04-2009 05:57 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Gobinu Wrote:I think that avarage chinese boy/girl would agree with BMP, stupid lazy chinese...
I'm not sure I understand. Are you implying that I'm Chinese and therefore lazy, or that the Chinese are lazy? Or that I'm lazy and Chinese?

P.S. I'm Korean. Good job trying to guess my ethnicity.
01-04-2009 06:28 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Jesus Christ, are you actually, literally blind? Do you really think that all those billions of people who live on less than one US dollar a day, in slums by the side of the river filled with shit and garbage, can just head on over to human resources and ask if they're being paid fairly? Dude, these people work for pennies because it's all they can get! And they work a hell of a lot harder than your average stockbroker or CEO. I'd like to see Kenneth Lay sewing t-shirts in a sweatshop for 14 hours a day. It doesn't matter how hard they work because their boss isn't going to pay them more. They're shit to him. Open. Your. Fucking. Eyes.

[Image: Starving_Children.jpg] Damn kids don't work hard enough...get up off that bony ass of yours and earn some overtime pay you little parasite!

01-04-2009 07:49 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:Open. Your. Fucking. Eyes.
Why don't you open yours? Think like I would, and you'll probably see where I'm coming from. I know how you think, and to me, it makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
01-04-2009 01:47 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

What the hell are talking about? You're actually suggesting that poor people chose to be in the position they are! Accoring to your "reasoning," all those little kids in the slums whose parents were drug addicts and never taught them anything can become CEO of Microsoft if they just decided to get up off the piss-soaked mattress where mommy smokes crack and worked more. You actually think that if there were any possible way to escape, they wouldn't have taken it already?
How can any sane, rational human being lives on planet Earth actually think that without laughing? I've tried to see things from your perspective. And there is no way I could ever sleep again if I was a politicion and I made policy based on that kind of misguided shit.
Face it: there is no logic or real-world evidence behind your rhetoric. You're rich, you want to stay rich, but you know there are billions of people starving who shouldn't be. So you come up with these flimsy "justifications" to make yourself feel less guilty about it and if anyone challenges you, you just keep ranting and raving until they give up trying to reason with you. Then you tell yourself you won. Sad.
If more than half the world wasn't dying the gutter right now, I'd think it was funny. But the fact that there are powerful people who have lost their grip on reality to the point where they actually take this seriously, terrifies me.

01-04-2009 02:33 PM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Quote:I'm not sure I understand. Are you implying that I'm Chinese and therefore lazy, or that the Chinese are lazy? Or that I'm lazy and Chinese?
[Edit]
BTW in all 3 situaions I'd be saying that chinese are lazy, and in two that you are lazy chinese and I dont like reapeting myself so:
"I'm not sure I understand. Are you implying that I'm Chinese and therefore lazy?"
Would be enough.

I'm saying that sometimes you can work your ass off for 0,5$/h all your life without a pay rise.
I can see you 've got problem with understanding me so there we go:
I think that
[in my opinion]

an avarage chinese boy/girl
[human beings, less lucky than you, who have to work as hell (while you probably did't try it at all)]

would agree with BMP,
[makeing fun of you, cause they WOULDN'T]

stupid lazy chinese...
[They are not lazy, they work harder than you will ever be. Still by your logic they have to be lazy cause work=money. They earn 1200$ a year? They are lazy. Your father earns 150000$ a year? He is a hard working man. But it doesn't work that way, you won't accept it tho, because you prefer to be on the top in this situation, taking money from your "sponsor".

Quote:P.S. I'm Korean. Good job trying to guess my ethnicity.
I wasn't and i dont care, I seriously doubt that anyone cares (basing on your comment with which I can totally agree).
I think that at this point BMP made it clear that reasoning with him is pointless. TBH with my eng I have peroblems with expressing how I feel about you, but it seems were seriously rised in a toxic enviroment and you were born with out emotions (at least those positive)...

01-04-2009 08:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:What the hell are talking about? You're actually suggesting that poor people chose to be in the position they are!
They do. If they had chosen to make something of themselves instead of imitating their parents (assuming they're the children of the poor people), maybe they'd actually be somewhere. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can get a good job.
Rebelnerd Wrote:Accoring to your "reasoning," all those little kids in the slums whose parents were drug addicts and never taught them anything can become CEO of Microsoft if they just decided to get up off the piss-soaked mattress where mommy smokes crack and worked more. You actually think that if there were any possible way to escape, they wouldn't have taken it already?
There's no way to escape. They've chosen to dig themselves into the hole they're in by doing nothing but do drugs and beg for money, and you're trying to defend them. As for the kids? They should learn from their parents and work hard in school so they can get into a good college and get a good job.
Rebelnerd Wrote:How can any sane, rational human being lives on planet Earth actually think that without laughing? I've tried to see things from your perspective. And there is no way I could ever sleep again if I was a politicion and I made policy based on that kind of misguided shit.
Okay, then don't think like me. You're the one that's insane. You're holding this Communist theory that everybody should be equal in terms of wealth.
Rebelnerd Wrote:Face it: there is no logic or real-world evidence behind your rhetoric. You're rich, you want to stay rich, but you know there are billions of people starving who shouldn't be. So you come up with these flimsy "justifications" to make yourself feel less guilty about it and if anyone challenges you, you just keep ranting and raving until they give up trying to reason with you. Then you tell yourself you won. Sad.
I couldn't care less about the people who are starving. That's their problem and their problem only. It's not my problem, so I shouldn't have to give them money that I don't want to give them.
Rebelnerd Wrote:If more than half the world wasn't dying the gutter right now, I'd think it was funny. But the fact that there are powerful people who have lost their grip on reality to the point where they actually take this seriously, terrifies me.
See comment above.
01-05-2009 03:14 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

BobManPerson Wrote:Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can get a good job.
I know that's typo but it is the only thing I could more or less agree with you on. I could even go further, it is way harder than when you were raised in a place where you use $ as a toilet paper...
Quote:They should learn from their parents and work hard in school so they can get into a good college and get a good job.
They hould but they cannot, because they've got no role model to follow (and they won't have cause nobody wants to help) and often they cannot even dream about college when they have to worry about what would they eat next day. BTW see underlined, what are you even doing on SS, trying only to piss people off?
Quote:that everybody should be equal in terms of wealth.
No for fuck sake but they should have at least equal chances of getting a GOOD education and more or less fair start.
Quote:I couldn't care less about the people who are starving. That's their problem and their problem only. It's not my problem, so I shouldn't have to give them money that I don't want to give them.
Ok, it is much more clear now. BMP has cash and is ok with it and cannot see any reason to help anyone beside himself. Wow, I couldn't even imagine that could be that simple, because people (mostly) try to deny to be like this. But there we have BMP saying that "they have got no cash, they've been born poor? That's their problem! They are lazy (hard work=$) and you know what? I am right because Oprah made it from being poor! Billion of people didn't and died in poverty but that only proves... ohh, wait..."

01-05-2009 04:06 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Gobinu Wrote:BTW see underlined, what are you even doing on SS, trying only to piss people off?
Sadly, that's one of the only ways to be successful. It's fucked up, but honestly, in this world your employers will not take you seriously unless you have a piece of paper acknowledging that you can do something.
01-05-2009 05:08 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

BobManPerson Wrote:They do. If they had chosen to make something of themselves instead of imitating their parents (assuming they're the children of the poor people), maybe they'd actually be somewhere. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can get a good job.
Chosen to make something of themselves? They're trying to survive! Don't you get it? That's all they can do!!! They spend all day rooting through the landfills trying to find broken down shit to eat or sell, how the fuck are they supposed to find the time to sit down and learn business management?

Quote:There's no way to escape. They've chosen to dig themselves into the hole they're in by doing nothing but do drugs and beg for money, and you're trying to defend them. As for the kids? They should learn from their parents and work hard in school so they can get into a good college and get a good job.
They didn't dig themselves into that hole. They were born there and they're just trying to stay alive. For christ's sake, they live in fucking sewage pits! How can you possibly believe that anyone would want to live like that?

Quote:Okay, then don't think like me. You're the one that's insane. You're holding this Communist theory that everybody should be equal in terms of wealth.
I hold the humanitarian, not Communist, theory that the top 1% of the world should not live in mansions while most of the world is dying in the gutter. And that a few rich men should not be allowed to enslave the rest of humanity. Once again you've convinced yourself that equal wealth and equal opportunity are the same thing, and that's because you're an idiot.

Quote:I couldn't care less about the people who are starving. That's their problem and their problem only. It's not my problem, so I shouldn't have to give them money that I don't want to give them.
Finally you stop hiding behind your pathetic justifications and just admit it. Now we're getting somewhere. That's cool, I guess. I know there are evil bastards like you out there, that doesn't bother me. I just hate it when you try and act like you're doing the right thing.
But since you've just flat-out admitted that you don't care about anyone but yourself, I think we can just agree to disagree at this point. See you at the revolution, bro. My work in this thread is done.

01-05-2009 05:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poverty In America: A Special Report HeartofShadows 3 1,677 09-16-2011 10:40 AM
Last Post: Phrozen_Soul