RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
At What Age Did You Start To Think School Was Wrong ?
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
Re: At What Age Did You Start To Think School Was Wrong ?

Like I said, I didn't really question the concept of school till I was 16 or so, but I never really *respected* the teachers like my classmates seemed to. I basically did whatever the fuck I wanted all the time; it was just that I liked school when I was little, so what I wanted to do often (but not always) coincided with what the teacher wanted me to do. And I was considered "smart", so I was given a lot of leeway, too.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-23-2011 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

batboy138 Wrote:1st grade. Miss Olen was abitch!
This. Jenny was a fucking bitch too.

apparently nearer to the other hemisphere all teachers don't have "miss", "mister" or "mistress" as their first name, also

[Image: glorious666.png]
07-23-2011 12:54 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Lunatic Wrote:Jenny
867-5309

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-24-2011 06:33 AM
EnemyOfTheState Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

- Started to Question weather all the work actually meant anything.
- Started to feel as if I was stuck in a Prison.
- Started to question the Structure of the School System.
- Started to HATE the Social system of School.
- Started to hate school.
- Found this Site.

[Image: adventure_time_signature_by_solidmetal-d328ime.png]
07-25-2011 06:51 AM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

pilotguy182 Wrote:Became a faggot at 0!
fix'd

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
07-26-2011 02:17 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Beginning doubts in 6th grade, 7th grade I found this site and I joined during 8th grade I think.

Why did I begin to hate it? Probably because we got homework overloaded and we basically had all day lectures.

Such was the day when the teachers were too attentive to fall asleep in their class. Oh that was bad.

War is stupid.
07-26-2011 02:57 PM
Tiji Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

K-4:Still new and kind of alright, never really wanted to go but at this point I always thought that teachers and adults are automatically always in the right
5-6/7:Around this time I had a lot of fun with friends, the education wasn't my first choice of things to do but I didn't have any strong feelings at the time.
8:2 weeks before it started I googled "school sucks" and came across this site, got super sick of it all, had trouble keeping up with math and spent hours everynight staring at work I did'nt understand.
9:WAY better, high school was awesome compared to middle school, got As and Bs easy as pie because the work was so easy to fill out, got boring near the end of the year but nothing too bad.
10:Sick of this shit again, bored everyday, nobody at school is interesting :-(, hate the place. Around this time I realize that because the schools are compulsory and control people to such a degree, the quality hits rock bottom, become disgusted with the school system and the way people accept it so openly without recognizing how wrong it all is.

In 3 weeks I get to see if 11th will be any more bearable :-/
07-27-2011 12:23 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Blobthe15 Wrote:
pilotguy182 Wrote:Became a faggot at 0!
fix'd
lol

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-27-2011 06:32 AM
Unwilling_Authority Offline
Revolutionary

Wow this was one of my older posts , i guess someone bumped it and it took off , thanks for all your input guys would love to hear more. Biggrin

Put me in a room full of people, how the fuck can I be lonely ?
07-29-2011 05:20 AM
Conformist Offline
Rebel

I started hating school in 5th grade
1. I learned to idolize knowledge and information in 4th grade regardless of relevance to my life in 4th grade.
2. I stopped getting any new knowledge in 5th grade.
3. I questioned the meaning of my life concluding that school was pointless.
4. I found this site. (6th grade)
5.????? (7th grade)
6. PROFIT!
7. It turns out it my parents get the money. (8th grade)
8. Refer back to step 3.
07-29-2011 07:37 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

pilotguy182 Wrote:You two will be punished by God!

I thought you'd go for a Hitler-Resurrection thing where he smites all the non-believers. Oh wait...

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
08-01-2011 04:06 AM
Anaire Offline
Defiant

I've hated it as long as I can remember. I don't do good with being restrained, and school was the worst restraint yet.
08-01-2011 04:53 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Anaire Wrote:I've hated it as long as I can remember. I don't do good with being restrained, and school was the worst restraint yet.

You will do well here.

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
08-01-2011 06:09 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

I was in my mother's womb already dreading my future imprisonment in school.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
08-01-2011 06:29 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

|55555| Wrote:I was in my mother's womb already dreading my future imprisonment in school.
I realized school was bad in my past life as a Spartan Helot.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-01-2011 10:59 PM
MG917 Offline
Rebel

RE: At What Age Did You Start To Think School Was Wrong ?

I realized school was wrong some time in 2010-2011 (I'm in 8th grade now). I got interested in PC gaming, realized how stupidly overprotective my mom was, started making friends on the internet, and realizing that I learn more just randomly clicking around the interwebs than I do in school. I got sick near the end of September 2010, and was constantly feeling like shit until December, and I had to transfer to a different school in the middle of the year, because I was so far behind. I still go to that school, and I'm pretty much stuck going to school, with no real alternatives because my mom won't really listen.
10-12-2011 10:23 AM
hipplzzz Offline
Defiant

when I realized that MIT opencourseware taught me more regarding quantum physics and calculus more than my ageist, retarded math/physics teacher ever could dream of.
10-18-2011 08:35 AM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

(10-18-2011 08:35 AM)hipplzzz Wrote:  when I realized that MIT opencourseware taught me more regarding quantum physics and calculus more than my ageist, retarded math/physics teacher ever could dream of.

<thread derail>
khanacademy.edu also has some OK video resources
</derail>

I started questioning everything at around age nine. I think in fifth grade I learned more from watching Mythbusters than I did in class, but this is probably true for most fans.

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
10-19-2011 05:53 AM
Spiritus_Raptor Offline
Ever so slightly sadistic.

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

School was enjoyable until Middle School. Then I went to this underfunded hellhole that was the strictest I've ever seen, except for Derchin's. Now I'm in 8th grade and about to get punished for stupid shit.
10-19-2011 05:58 AM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

My early "education" consisted of reading really easy books and watching those kid shows before age 5. It was fun because I got to do that whenever I felt like it, and I wanted to learn that way forever (progressively advancing from children's material, of course). When I got thrown into kindergarten and realized I didn't have any of my old freedom, I cried my eyes out and threw a tantrum.

That way of thinking was supposedly a mental problem, so my parents beat me up and I got a bunch of youth workers sent after me. When you're 5 or 6-years-old and you get treated like a mental patient, you break. So I actually forced myself to be a top student until 8th or 9th grade. That was when I saw how depressed some of my peers were and realized that school was what caused grief for students and their families. And I was crazy for instinctively hating it in kindergarten?

So I guess I hated school when I was 5, then pretended to like it till was 13, then loathed it tenfold since then.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
10-22-2011 12:58 PM
anti-school person Offline
Defiant

hated school since the 5th grade.
11-09-2011 11:29 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Meh, I just remember comparing it to a totalitarian government when I was pretty damn young. I obviously didn't like school at all, ever, in my country in South America, but I though it was gonna be great for a while because of what everyone told me... it seemed to be better, but still, I cried when I learned, on the day that my mom signed me up for 7th grade, that the school had uniforms. I still pretended to like it a bit until 8th grade when I just got pissed and found this site.
(04-15-2011 01:52 PM)Mondasin Wrote:  I only really had issues with school at about 4th grade when teachers started telling me I couldn't use basic algebra in our work. Up till then the work was carefree, I read a lot, was able to spend my days chatting with friends.

There were days where it was total shit, like the 3 detentions I got from grade 2 to the end of grade 3.
That's super-fucking lame, I hate it when teachers or whatever do that, thinking you must always fit a certain fucking mold.

[Image: glorious666.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 04:10 PM by LOON_ATTIC.)
11-09-2011 04:09 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

The day when my mum told me it was time to go to school for the first time.
11-09-2011 09:52 PM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

4th grade. My grades were always good and that year I just completely failed math for some reason and it eventually started carrying over to other classes.
11-15-2011 07:34 AM
Darksoul Offline
Invisible Warrior

Compare all these people i started thinking school was wrong around THIS month Lol i know im pretty late. All i gotta say FUCK SCHOOL.
11-17-2011 05:05 AM
thefrustrated Offline
Renegade

Given 3 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

First grade
12-06-2011 08:05 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

At about the age of 10. I failed the entrance exam to the "higher" school (called "Gymnasium") at 1/2 point. And I was sick at the day I was writing it, pumped up with strong medicine because those a...holes didn't allow you to take the test later. Retards. Had to go a year onto the lowest ("Hauptschule") so I could try again next year, which finally worked. I mean, come on, if they'd just had said "Well yeah you are half of a point off - you pass though it was reaaaaally a bit over the edge - but its less trouble for both of us" I would have had a very, very different and way more motivated school carrier.

Being so demotivational on small children, its a pity. I hate how they try to manipulate everybody.
12-06-2011 08:34 AM
OmegaWolf747 Offline
Revolutionary

Hated school from the beginning, but really started realizing how wrong it was in the seventh grade when I began to have a true sense of selfhood.

@silverfang1977
12-11-2011 03:13 AM
Jak3kinner Offline
Rebel

Ive always hated school, first day of kindergarden i walked home haha.

Ive gone through phases kind of school kind of.

K-4: I actually enjoyed school. I dont think ALL school is pointless, because most of us do use to some extent, basic math and reading.

4-6: "ughhh school is so boring, I hate this"

6-8: I was a little prick in these years. I absolutely HATED school durring these years. I would walk out of class, ditch, swear at teachers, etc. I was a 13-14 year old cock head.

8 to highschool: I still hate school to this day, but for more "mature" reasons. Ive started do do just enough of my work to get by, and still make it very clear to the teachers/staff I hate every minute of it.

So basically I always kind of hated school, but I do ocassionally enjoy it when I, you know, learn something.
12-21-2011 06:38 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I hated school from day one. I couldn't figure out why I have to sit in a scary place and do things I don't care about instead of play. I also had a very stupid teacher who thought I was weird and loved the popular mean girl who bullied me. Bitch.
12-27-2011 07:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can I just quit school before i even start? Night 14 3,965 07-20-2014 04:37 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  What is wrong with this bitch at my school? тωιѕтє∂ 6 3,798 01-15-2013 10:19 AM
Last Post: IamNoone
  When did you start feeling hatred towards school? Reflect 17 9,291 01-12-2013 03:54 PM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  Your life won't start before you finish school Luizao876 6 4,489 12-09-2011 07:25 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  school's gonna start 2 in 2 days. mdsjkxeqp fidyfeo 9 4,093 01-10-2011 09:46 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows