RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Name for the Revolution
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
Re: New Name for the Revolution

Something_Spacey Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:How 'bout this for a slogan? Compulsory schooling ruins education.

Its seems negative and bad news ish which will draw in fewer people. Reframe it in to something like.

"Because Unschooling Betters Education!"
Lol? Dude, people LOVE bad news. How do you think mass media news gets any hits?

Epic win book.
Personal Development for Smart People.
01-11-2009 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:
Something_Spacey Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:How 'bout this for a slogan? Compulsory schooling ruins education.

Its seems negative and bad news ish which will draw in fewer people. Reframe it in to something like.

"Because Unschooling Betters Education!"
Lol? Dude, people LOVE bad news. How do you think mass media news gets any hits?

This. Controversial things make big news. A walkout featuring at least 20 students lasting more than a few hours would make evening news on CNN.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-12-2009 12:48 AM
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Stratovarius Wrote:This. Controversial things make big news. A walkout featuring at least 20 students lasting more than a few hours would make evening news on CNN.
Oh, I can see it now.

"30 kids walk out of school grounds today protesting compulsory schooling laws."

Epic win book.
01-12-2009 12:58 AM
The Djinni Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I reckon a one kid walkout would do more than twenty. I mean c'mon "There has been a one kid walkout in Kellyville High School today, and many more students appeared later to join him"

Not likely but meh.

~AWOL
01-12-2009 09:45 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

Good point AWOL.

It's likely that a bunch of people will end up chickening out whenever it's time for the walk-out. Even if all 20 of your mates leave, you gotta stay out there.

At my high school, you'll probably get in-school-suspension for walking out. Do it again and you might get something called ABC which is in-school-suspension but it's off campus in another building.

Just keep walking out no matter what to make a point.

This of course, requires a lot of balls.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-12-2009 12:03 PM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

liq3 Wrote:
Stratovarius Wrote:This. Controversial things make big news. A walkout featuring at least 20 students lasting more than a few hours would make evening news on CNN.
Oh, I can see it now.

"30 kids walk out of school grounds today protesting compulsory schooling laws."

The government controls the news. How would we get good publicity from that?

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
01-12-2009 02:53 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Quote:The government controls the news. How would we get good publicity from that?

It'll get us even more publicity. Even if it's bad publicity it's good, but I have a feeling the media would actually like a walkout
01-12-2009 05:09 PM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

What have we found so far?
No name but SS revolution, and we're not satisfied with that.
That the US government/medias/extraterrestrials control everything.
And that writing books is the only way to diffuse our ideas, after all, we all know that the French revolution/American war of independence happened because every single citizen had the complete works of Voltaire/Montesquieu/I-dunno-who-else at home ...

Of course I exaggerate but you see my point, right? In this thread we want to find a name, we don't want to discuss whether or not what we want to do will be useful (create another thread for that) and we (well, at least I, and not here anyway) don't want to discuss conspiracy theories or anything close to it.

So, let's really try to find a name this time.

PS: A name idea: the ASIO (Anti-School Information Organization), that's simple, not really original but it's clear and it's really how I see our "organization": we just want to spread information, we don't give any solution (that's how I see it, it can be discussed).
01-15-2009 03:41 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Quote:PS: A name idea: the ASIO (Anti-School Information Organization), that's simple, not really original but it's clear and it's really how I see our "organization": we just want to spread information, we don't give any solution (that's how I see it, it can be discussed).

i like this, its kinda catchy and attractive. but assuming this organization helps start a revolution shouldn't it be something like the (anti-school revolution organization) i just kinda pasted that in but i think we should add some kind of word that suggests change.
01-15-2009 04:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

Well, the thing is, we aren't anti-school. We're anti-compulsory school.

Epic win book.
01-15-2009 04:11 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

i thought that we were anti-school but not anti-education
01-15-2009 04:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
liq3 Offline
Fanatic

thought criminal Wrote:i thought that we were anti-school but not anti-education
The problem is that you CAN get an education at school, just not the current ones. The current ones suck balls, obviously.

Point is, we're anti-compulsory school.

I myself rather like the idea of school. A good school mind you, not the kind of shit we have now.

Epic win book.
01-15-2009 04:47 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

oooh i see where your coming from now. thankies
01-15-2009 07:27 AM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

Well we could use "School Information Organization", because I agree, I'm not really against the idea of school itself.
In France the pro-cannabis organization calls itself the "Cannabis Research and Information Collective" (CIRC in French) ^^ so I guess we can use "School Information Organization" even if our goal is more to fight (compulsory) school than to inform about it.
I mean "Anti Compulsory School Information Organization" doesn't sound good, does it?
01-15-2009 08:16 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

I still think "free education" should be in there somewhere. I mean, that says it all in a nutshell right? We still want to learn, but we don't want the education system to have the power over students that it does now.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-15-2009 11:17 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

I still think we should be decentralised (which means no to anything with "organisation" in it).

The only good signature is a dead signature.
01-15-2009 11:35 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

I agree, because we are in no shape to form an organisation yet, if the revolution gets popular an organisation will spring up for it some day anyway.
01-15-2009 11:36 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Whether or not we centralize depends on how militant we want to get. If its just going to be a protest/lobbying group, then there's nothing wrong with having a structure to coordinate larger demonstrations. But if the goal was to actually overthrow the school system then yes, it should be decentralized to throw of police investigations. Which brings up the age-old subersive's dilemma again: how far are we prepared to take this?

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
01-16-2009 05:44 AM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:Whether or not we centralize depends on how militant we want to get. If its just going to be a protest/lobbying group, then there's nothing wrong with having a structure to coordinate larger demonstrations. But if the goal was to actually overthrow the school system then yes, it should be decentralized to throw of police investigations. Which brings up the age-old subersive's dilemma again: how far are we prepared to take this?

I would fight and die in a war to destroy ageism in governments, mandotary school, and the legalization of Youth Rights.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
01-16-2009 11:04 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

As would I, but not everyone would. If this is meant to be a mainstream social/political movement then we can't make it too radical or we'll scare the moderates away. Moderates who might otherwise support us. I've seen it happen many times before with anti-war groups.

01-16-2009 11:54 AM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

How about the "Educated Revolution"?

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
01-16-2009 01:12 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Well the point of this was to raise awareness. We've already tried taking a direct approach, and they've failed because most people don't even know what's wrong with school.

Ok, back to names.

Quote:Educated Revolution

Another good one. I think we might have enough for a poll now. Since the revolution is not really that centralised I'm just going to start using and popularising the winning name.

Then what we could do is write up the alternate awareness intro page and ask if soul could post it(if you don't know what I'm talking about, find the "fixing school" thread).
01-16-2009 06:05 PM
DeadLugosi Offline
Rebel

psychopath Wrote:Well the point of this was to raise awareness.
That's it! "Awareness", not "information", we might modify the name I proposed to use "awareness", I think it's more explicit about what we want.
As for "organization", well I don't like it much either but I don't really see what we could use instead if we want people to understand we're a group (well maybe simply "group", but it doesn't sound really good), I mean, decentralization is a great thing but if we're (more or less) organized, we'll spread our ideas more efficiently.
01-17-2009 04:00 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I approve of the poll idea.
01-17-2009 04:09 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

i think something like "student in arms" sounds good for a name
for a slogan maybe somethin like "right to free knowledge"

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
01-17-2009 05:00 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

*BUMP*

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
02-11-2009 09:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quinte Secondary School Revolution (QSS REVOLUTION) darkworld 7 3,653 03-30-2007 07:04 PM
Last Post: Odin