RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geometry....
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
Geometry....

I just started doing Geometry. What's the point? I don't see how these retarded proofs are going to help me later in life.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-10-2009 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Geometry....

As is with just about everything I learned (not really) in school. I have no interest in and will never use ever again math, science, or history, so why the fuck should I have to take algebra, geometry, trigonometry, chemistry, or any other whack ass class in order to graduate high school?
01-10-2009 01:11 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

|55555| Wrote:I just started doing Geometry. What's the point? I don't see how these retarded proofs are going to help me later in life.

First, your teacher is more than likely teaching you wrong, but I guess you'll have to put up with that shit. The proof-methods they teach you in geometry will cause any professional mathematician to shit a brick. UR DOIN IT RONG

Second, shit's useless, and shouldn't be mandatory. Anything higher than algebra 1 shouldn't be mandatory.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-10-2009 01:16 PM
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

One day you might decide to be an ancient egyptian and build a pyramid

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
01-10-2009 03:57 PM
Freak Offline
Fanatic

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

How are proofs irrelevant? It's what mathematicians use to prove shit. That's what mathematicians do.

And proofs are taught because they're used outside of geometry, they're to teach people how not to assume something is true just because it looks that way. And because it teaches how to use inductive and deductive reasoning.

Reasoning is necessary for everything. It's what prevents 'sheeple' and rampant believe in propaganda.

[Image: ambnh8.jpg]
01-10-2009 06:50 PM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)

Freak Wrote:How are proofs irrelevant? It's what mathematicians use to prove shit. That's what mathematicians do.

And proofs are taught because they're used outside of geometry, they're to teach people how not to assume something is true just because it looks that way. And because it teaches how to use inductive and deductive reasoning.

Reasoning is necessary for everything. It's what prevents 'sheeple' and rampant believe in propaganda.
You best be joking.
And I can reason quite fine without these retarded proofs...

Who am I? Who are YOU?
01-11-2009 01:04 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Freak Wrote:How are proofs irrelevant? It's what mathematicians use to prove shit. That's what mathematicians do.

Are you kidding? Read his original post again. I'm kind of getting tired of reading your arrogant posts. Keep it up and you'll probably just end up on the ignore list.

Proofs are irrelevant to 55555 because he isn't a mathematician and I don't think he plans on becoming one.

The proofs you learn in geometry and really all of math are unnecessary and sometimes irrelevant to logical reasoning in daily life. There's also something called philosophy that would be more worthwhile in the context of application to daily life if you want to learn how to reason logically.

Also becoming a mathematician won't prevent you from becoming a sheeple.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-11-2009 01:13 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I remember Geometry. I was really good at it. Unlike Algebra (HATE THAT SHIT).

But yeah it's irrelevant.
01-11-2009 08:01 AM
Chuplayer Offline
Renegade

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The proofs in geometry sure sucked, but I loved that class. I was the Geometry God.

There are worse things to waste your time with in school than geometry. With a good understanding of geometry, you may find yourself able to do certain things in life in easier ways. Granted, they're few and far between, but they pay off. For example, angles of incidence. You can apply that stuff to skee-ball and make that game easier.
01-11-2009 10:26 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Speaking of Geometry, it pissed me off so much one day. We had finals, and the teacher said that whoever had the highest score would get 20 extra credit points. I had a B+ at the moment which isn't bad actually, but I decided to do it anyway. So I went home and studied my ass off for hours. Next day I take the exam and I felt like I knew the answers to everything. Couple weeks later, teacher announces some other girl won (fucking bitch she had like a fucking A+, she didn't need the extra credit) and I was fucking second place. FUCK!

Oh well.
01-11-2009 04:28 PM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

|55555| Wrote:I just started doing Geometry. What's the point? I don't see how these retarded proofs are going to help me later in life.
Same here, started it a couple months ago. I will let you in on a secret, unless you wan't to be certain engineers or architects, you will never use this stuff in your life.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
01-12-2009 10:48 AM
Whistler Offline
Revolutionary

I can't get myself to want to do better in math because beyond Algebra I (Which can be helpful more often than not in basic shit day to day like knowing variables) math is complete shit. It's not necessary for 94% of the populace and it is A TIME WASTER. Basic concepts are perfect, knowing how to prove jack-off angles and why postulates are fap-worthy is beyond worthless.
01-13-2009 10:30 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

john tuttle Wrote:
Same here, started it a couple months ago. I will let you in on a secret, unless you wan't to be certain engineers or architects, you will never use this stuff in your life.

Even mathematicians don't look at this shit unless your field deals with this. You can get a phd in mathematics and have a hard time with high school geometry.

^ The above is not an exaggeration.

01-13-2009 10:52 AM
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Stratovarius Wrote:
john tuttle Wrote:

Even mathematicians don't look at this shit unless your field deals with this. You can get a phd in mathematics and have a hard time with high school geometry.

^ The above is not an exaggeration.

I know. Especially since when doing proofs they have a bunch of stupid rules.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
01-14-2009 09:09 AM
Whistler Offline
Revolutionary

Anybody got links on how to learn Geometry non-retard style?
01-14-2009 05:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gotta Take Geometry Regents......AGAIN!! (Rage Thread) EnemyOfTheState 24 22,726 01-18-2012 04:18 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  Geometry final from hell. Jordbaer 7 3,615 06-14-2010 05:32 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  Geometry teaches us how to 'think correctly'. Sadistic Mirror 11 4,014 10-12-2008 11:52 PM
Last Post: Will