RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Robotics
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Missing Robotics

I had a short ass book to read (60 pages) and then I had to write an essay. I also had to go to a robotics meeting at 6pm. My mom says I have to stay at home to do the homework even though I could finish after the meeting. She starts freaking out about how im failing classes and that I need to finish this essay. I missed a lot from the meeting and now I feel like shit because I let a bunch of people down. I know I should have done the essay and the book earlier this week but lately I have not been mentally able to give a fuck about my schoolwork. I didnt get one of my biology sheets stamped because I thought it wasnt done and when I realized it was I really didnt care even though my grades are near failing in biology. Since I have had failing grades lately my mom has turned into a control freak about my homework which is why she made me miss robotics. My dad also got pissed "you told me you were all caught up" I am all caught, the assignment isnt late and I can just fucking finish it when I get home from robotics. I cant drive or play video games right now because I am failing spanish class. To be able to drive I have to get a B average. the shitty seattle weather has me depressed, Im always way too tired in class, my teachers assign way too much homework and give us no fucking time to do it, Robotics build season has me working really fucking hard, the semester is almost over, and on top of it my parents are constantly pressuring me to get good grades. I fucking hate doing all this pointless fucking homework. When Im working as a mechanical engineer will it benefit me to know how the digestive system works? what a trachea valve is? how different factors in europe caused world war 1? how to say "I am hungry, I want to eat some vegetables" in spanish? No none of that shit will fucking benefit me, and this is at a school that supposedly leans more towards engineering shit. But the school also goes on about how were the next generation of top engineers, scientists, etc. A few may succeed but most will work at boeing or work a shitty mediocre office job. Our generation isnt going to fix all the worlds problems. Relying on ther next generation is fucking retarded. Your precious little children arent going to become doctors/lawyers, and even if they do they arent going to pay off all of your debt that you accumulated because you work a middle class job but try to live a fake rich lifestyle.

I dont know if you can read through all this let alone how I wrote all this. I just needed to vent

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
01-15-2009 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: Missing Robotics

Sorry, I'm not that good at giving advice about parents, in fact, I'm hopeless on that topic, but if you really like robotics you should persue it. Since everyday the world gets more and more automacized (is that a word) there is a lot of ways that field can improve the world and even people lives, such a robots for elderly/disabled or robots that take the place of soldiers. Heck, you could easily make moremoney than a lawyer or a doctor, if thats what your mom cares about.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
01-16-2009 01:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)
Re: Missing Robotics

Quote:will it benefit me to know how the digestive system works? what a trachea valve is? how different factors in europe caused world war 1? how to say "I am hungry, I want to eat some vegetables" in spanish?
the answer is no. none of that shit will help you, i do agree with JT on the robotics thing though it will definitely benefit you to peruse this field. the world is becoming more automated everyday and knowing about it will give you a big advantage.
01-16-2009 08:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I'm missing something in life MurkScribe 2 1,751 04-27-2015 10:14 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Funny reasons for missing school blueblade8075 13 10,193 05-02-2012 06:56 AM
Last Post: 1312
  People who hate "boring" essays are missing the point .Manicrose. 6 3,962 05-02-2011 07:04 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC