RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOAR FUKIN SCIENCE QUESTIONS
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)
MOAR FUKIN SCIENCE QUESTIONS

1. What is a virus?

2. How are viruses similar to organisms?

3. Scientists hypothesize that viruses could have not existed on Earth before organisms appeared. Use what you know on viruses to support this hypothesis.

4. What basic structure do all viruses share?

5. What role do the proteins in a virus's outer coat play in the invasion of a host cell?

6. How does an active virus multiply?

7. List the additional steps that occur when a hidden virus multiplies.

8. Do you think that the cold virus is an active virus or a hidden virus? Explain.

9. What is often the best treatment for viral diseases?

10. How are vaccines important in preventing viral disease?
01-21-2009 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChickenLeg Offline
Revolutionary

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: MOAR FUKIN SCIENCE QUESTIONS

Trar Wrote:1. What is a virus?
It is an organism with very few components in comparison to cells, and it usually results in diseases in living organisms.
Viruses have strands of DNA/RNA
3. Scientists hypothesize that viruses could have not existed on Earth before organisms appeared. Use what you know on viruses to support this hypothesis.
Viruses need to infect cells in organisms, as viruses can't reproduce by themselves.
Protein coat, and either DNA or RNA
5. What role do the proteins in a virus's outer coat play in the invasion of a host cell?
The protein coats have enzymes that attach to many different types of host cells.
They infect the cell with a copy of DNA/RNA by attaching to the host cell with its enzymes.
It makes the cell start reproducing these strands into virsuses, which swell the cell up until it explodes, releasing the viruses to infect other cells and repeat the process.
8. Do you think that the cold virus is an active virus or a hidden virus? Explain.
Active virus
Lots of rest and fluids and let your body take care of the disease itself.
Vaccines introduce dead or dying viruses into the body, which results in the immune system producing T-bodies to help kill these weakened invaders. The T-bodies remain after the virus is eradicated, and providing there isn't a mutation in the virus, one will likely never suffer from the full-blown disease

Hope that helps. Wink

[Image: b24db005eGyMw.png]
01-21-2009 03:00 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

d
01-19-2010 09:14 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Wow, what the hell Memento?

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-19-2010 09:16 AM
flea77 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I want to revise these answers a little bit. I'm not sure if you have turned in your homework or not

Trar Wrote:1. What is a virus?
The key answer here is that viruses are infectious, metabolically inert, and depend on a living host for replication

SOME viruses have DNA based genomes.

ya the other answer was perfect.

nucleic acid based genome (either RNA or DNA based) with a protein shell (the capsid)

The capsid is essential first of all because its the only thing separating the virus genome from the outside. Capsids are essential for invasion because it all depends on small surface antigens. It will find a cell which has complementary receptors. Then it can enter by three main methods, either by a direct injection of the genome, membrane fusion, or endocytosis (the cell essentially taking it up).

(below answer)

By hidden virus, I'm making the assumption your teacher is talking about viruses that reproduce through lysogenic v. lytic cycle. In lysogenic viruses, the viral genome integrates itself directly into the host cell DNA, so that the host cell replicates it alongside the host cell DNA. This integrated DNA becomes known as a prophage. This is v. lytic viruses which essentially destroy the host cell DNA by disregarding it (these viruses take over the mRNA of the host cell and can then only chose to reproduce themselves, so the host cell DNA is disregarded and the metabolic necessities of the host cell are therefore disregarded).

So in both viruses, the same thing is happening (the virus is taking over the host cell reproduction to produce its own proteins). However, in the lysogenic cycle the extra step is integrating itself into the host DNA.

I am pretty sure cold viruses are lysogenic. I could be wrong.

The best step is typically immunizations when they are available, but there are anti-virals on the market now... not sure what she's wanting in this question

Most vaccines alert the bodies immune system so that they will produce antibodies to a "sample" of the target virus. This way the body is more likely to be able to ward off a potential infection. I think the other persons answer was much better than mine

The only reason why I rewrote a couple of these quesetions is because I think you were missing the really important thing in the definition of a virus. Viruses are not really organisms as (although its debatable), the majority of scientists don't consider them living as they are metabolically inert

hope this helps
02-01-2010 07:54 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Gee, you're about 12 days late.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
02-01-2010 08:07 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Colin Wrote:Gee, you're about 12 days late.
Look again. the OP was posted January of 09.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
02-01-2010 08:08 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:
Colin Wrote:Gee, you're about 12 days late.
Look again. the OP was posted January of 09.
OH SHI-
Sorry, a year and 11 days.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
02-01-2010 08:10 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

LOL

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
02-01-2010 08:42 AM
flea77 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

lol my bad
02-01-2010 08:45 AM