RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mcdonalds
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Mcdonalds

whenever you mention dropping out or getting bad grades everyone says "do you want to work at mcdonalds the rest of your life?" Why does everyone think that if you dont get a high school and college diploma, you only be able to work at mcdonalds? You can start a business, work a blue collar job that pays a lot, or even work on the field your interested in and get a reputation for it (eg. machining, CAD design, landscaping, etc) schools and colleges arent the only place to learn. I learned how to use autodesk inventor last year and 3DS Max in the 6th grade and I didnt learn one bit of it at school. I will most likely get a job in mechanical engineering and I learned all of it outside of school until recently because I joined the robotics team, but I am eons ahead of everyone else in there. There are plenty of learning resources out there including many free ones like internet tutorials.

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
01-25-2009 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Mcdonalds

MY SCHOOL HAS A WENDY'S CLASS, WHERE YOU CAN LEARN TO WENDYS

In all seriousness, I will never use really anything I learned in school. I could become rich selling hip-hop beats one day, and I learned that myself, not through school. I probably learn more on a day when I'm not at school than on a day when I am (was).
01-25-2009 02:16 PM
lithiumliger Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I wish my parents were that optimistic; apparently, if I don't go to school and spend lots of time and money forcing useless things down my throat which are, in all frankness, unrelated to the job that I am applying for just so I can get a degree then I will end up at Walmart. At first I thought they were kidding, but then I found out that there are magic statistics that back this up. Of course there's too many morons that don't look past your degree...
01-25-2009 05:01 PM
Tasty Waffles Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I don't think i will every work at mcdonalds if i drop out. I hate happy meals. They piss me off for some reason. Also, the place is a biohazard.
01-25-2009 07:24 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

People are retarded thats why..
If you don't get the shitty diploma's there are lots of alternatives such as getting work through a temp service and getting hired from temp to actual hiree.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
01-26-2009 03:54 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

I taught myself IWCode, HTML, and the basics of Radiant. I also practically taught myself everything I know about computers. All of that got me a job at my dad's company over the summer; I sat in a cubicle for 7 hours a day coding websites and stuff.

I'm living proof that you don't even have to have a high school diploma to get a good office job.
01-27-2009 12:58 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

it gets slightly annoying when people say that. it like 'you'll be on benefits when youre older'. which is highly annoying too.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
01-27-2009 03:36 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

BobManPerson Wrote:I'm living proof that you don't even have to have a high school diploma to get a good office job.

Thats pretty nice believe me..
I graduated seven months ago and got that shitty diploma and it didn't do a damn thing for me.
I haven't had a normal means of work in seven months.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
01-27-2009 10:37 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Hell, by the time I graduate McDonalds will have been made illegal.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
01-28-2009 05:04 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Sure, you might work at McDonalds if you don't gt a degree.
There's also plenty of people with degrees who work at McDonalds. What people need to do is stop worrying about degrees that don't promise you anything except a certain level of qualification, a stigma a certain job might give you, and worry about financial security. People need to save at a young age and stay out of debt, then they don't have to work.

So it's settled:
1. Don't worry about the degrees.
2. Invest in mutual funds with your McDonalds money and live off your parents.
3. ???
4. Profit!

(I plan on getting a degree anyway. Most likely Philosophy, maybe Economics if I feel like I want to be a little more bored with my life.)

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
01-29-2009 02:39 AM