RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums disabled
John Tuttle Offline
Fanatic

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: Forums disabled

Not to mention Hitler. Oh wait, he already killed himself. Nevarmind.

[Image: funny-gifs-wax-on-wax-owl.gif]
01-29-2009 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Albatross Offline
Pariah

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Aviator Wrote:Everyone is worthy of at least some response. And nobody should be told to go and kill themself, except for Osama bin Ladin.

Bin Laden is noble and righteous man.
01-29-2009 12:49 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Albatross Wrote:Bin Laden is a noble and righteous man.

fixed
01-29-2009 12:55 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

KitsuneSefam Wrote:

I'm a cocksucking faggot

Fixed

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
01-29-2009 12:56 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:
KitsuneSefam Wrote:

I'm a cocksucking faggot

Fixed

I lol'd.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-29-2009 01:12 PM
assaultmedic Offline
Revolutionary

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:
KitsuneSefam Wrote:

I'm a cocksucking faggot

Fixed

this is probably why the forums were disabled

it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
[Image: TF2_Tag___Medic_by_schroe.png]
01-29-2009 04:43 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

The forums aren't even 'Disabled' (LOL?) more like invisible.

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
01-29-2009 04:45 PM
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

It is true though. Childish immature bickering like that caused it.
01-29-2009 04:59 PM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Right, so lets stop arguing about Bin Laden and get back to arguing about the forums.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-30-2009 02:01 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

lol - how did we get onto the subject of osama bin laden anyway?

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
01-30-2009 02:13 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

random_name Wrote:lol - how did we get onto the subject of osama bin laden anyway?
Well someone kept complaining about thunder telling people to kill themselves, and someone else said nobody should kill themselves except for Osama bin Laden (which I totally disagree with). And then they continued with the name calling and the insults. We good?
01-30-2009 07:09 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Osama bin Laden was an inside job.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-30-2009 07:36 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

[Image: 74690919ay2.png]
01-30-2009 08:00 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

LOL

Man, no one ever uses that picture on this forum. Good work.

01-30-2009 08:41 AM
Gobinu Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I don't know what is happening, I just hope it will get better soon cause we have no real place to turn to, if this forums die (I mean on the internet).
And I have to say forum was in pretty bad shape lately (and I've heard I joined when it was already getting not too good) so I guess it has to get better! Or die, but lets stick to work out.

http://gobinu.deviantart.com/ (trying to make it busy).
01-30-2009 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ahab Offline
Machine Gnome

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Did you disable avatar changes as well? I doubt you did, I'm just stupid, aren't I? Where the hell do I change it if you did?

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit." - Robert Anton Wilson
01-31-2009 07:11 PM
The Wadekarl Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Okay, so I haven't really been on this forum for around a month. Last time I was here, there were more forums, now half of them are gone. Can somebody bring me up to date?
02-01-2009 03:48 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

The Wadekarl Wrote:Okay, so I haven't really been on this forum for around a month. Last time I was here, there were more forums, now half of them are gone. Can somebody bring me up to date?

Soulriser got butthurt that her forum was shitty so she DELETED FUCKING EVERYTHING. She has a right to be butthurt however. This spawned a mini-civil war and now SS is having a power struggle with opponents vying for control.

THIS IS WAR

02-01-2009 04:17 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

The best they can do is throw shit at each other.
Until Soul comes back, the rubbish forums are still banned. The cancer that was contained in the recyle bin spilled out into the Help and Suggestions, and BobManPerson and 5 have stopped being trolls.
02-01-2009 05:12 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

More like admin that caves in, in every situation.

*Inserts under "leaver soulriser alone fuck you" kind of message because I said Soul fails at site admin.*
02-01-2009 06:10 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

You still haven't really made it clear what exactly we "caved in" to.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
02-01-2009 06:49 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

You haven't caved in, you just need to do more of what your meant to do.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
02-01-2009 08:29 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

I was talking about Soul, sounds like destroying everything is the solution to everything lately.
02-01-2009 01:19 PM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

Oh go fuck yourself, you don't know shit.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
02-01-2009 01:29 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

youvebeenthunderstruck Wrote:Oh go fuck yourself, you don't know shit.

Of course I don't! I know tons of forum admins and they aren't full of troll/low quality conversations/filled with a terrible staff/caving in at every little thing.
02-01-2009 03:13 PM
Bob Dole Offline
Fanatic

Given 23 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

The admins and mods do their jobs quite well. They do exactly what the rules currently in place tell them to do. No more, no less. If you want to stop the trolling, you should probably stop trolling. Raids, trolls, and stupid meme dropping are idiotic things employed by the clueless to make them feel like they have power over somebody, or to make them feel like they belong to a big, bad, "hacker" group. What you can do is ignore the trolls and bullshit.

A bit of a tip, if somebody is talking about something from one of the *chans, it's best to ignore them. The current culture that exists in most chans is a bastardization of what used to be a unique, fun culture that has now been taken over by a bunch of idiots seeking power, glory, and a sense of community.

They troll and raid to try and make people panic, try to make people angry. Deny them that, you deny them their power, and then you just have a sad excuse for a human being sitting frustrated at their computer screen. Ignoring a troll is the best thing you can do when you come across them. Simply ignore them. Do Not Feed The Trolls is a great phrase. You should start using it. The trolls hate it.

Then they try to gain respect by being a part of some "scary hacker group". Please. Your average /b/tard or /i/nsurgent couldn't raid or troll for shit if they didn't have premade tools or guides written up to help them. They've got no creativity, and rely on those that do know their shit. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool /b/tards, but you won't know about it unless you ask them or observe them. The idiots can be weeded out because they meme drop and constantly feel a need to remind everyone that "ooh, they're big scary /b/tards". They need to quit, as it doesn't seem they realize yet that the rest of the 'net is just laughing at them now. I've been there, I've raided, I've trolled, I got a rise out of people being scared of me. Getting angry at me. Powerless to stop me. Then I tried trolling a forum that just laughed me off and ignored me, and everything came crashing down.

Then they go to /b/ to indulge in the "culture" that's there. Of course, it doesn't matter that the "culture" there is just a watered-down version of what's been going on on the Internet for a decade or two now. There used to be a fairly respectable culture there. It was filled to the brim with cool experiences, funny jokes, and unique people. Now, after it got huge and a bunch of people who couldn't be interesting to save their lives flooded in, all the while bastardizing the culture and dropping memes everywhere and reminding everyone that they were "members of a super secret hacker group". Essentially, they killed /b/. There really was cancer, and it had killed /b/ and the culture surrounding it long before the newfags vs. oldfags shit got started. A lot of good, intelligent members of 4chan fled to their IRC, something reminiscent of our own troubles here. It still stands there to this day, with lots of interesting discussion.

Now, listen. I know that most of the regular members have gotten alienated in this whole mess. I know they've probably gotten sick of the admins and mods bitching. Listen. We now know that it isn't the average member's fault. In our rush to fix the forums once all this flooded in, we were stupid and didn't differentiate between the trolls and the contributing regular members, as the trolls were the majority of what we saw in the userbase of newer members. We realize that the membership of this community is composed of maybe 5% trolls and 95% good members. But because that 5% draws a lot of attention, the 95% doesn't get recognized. For that, I apologize. I know for a fact that most of the members are good, contributing people that I'd love to get to know, and as such, feel free to contact me. Feel free to join the IRC at irc.rizon.net #anti-school. We won't kick you unless you act INCREDIBLY obnoxious or start trying to troll.

Now, as SS has always been an open forum, we were always particularly vulnerable to trolls. And in recent months, the admins' approach to getting rid of trolls was working from the top down. Changing the physical forums to get rid of trolls. That was wrong. As a community, we must come together and IGNORE the trolls. The only reply any of their trolling threads or posts should get is a "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS" post. Then it should be removed to the Recycling Bin. We must instill a constant habit of not replying to trolls and simply ignoring them in ourselves and our new members. To that effect, any time you see a troll post, simply quote that post and say "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS." If somebody else has already posted that, just leave it alone. If they start to try and mock the anti-troll post, simply ignore them. It crushes them more that way. And since I know some idiot will try and quote this and say, "DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS", they needn't worry, I know what you're looking for and you won't get it, I won't respond. :D

Now, as there has been a growing disconnect between the members and staff, I do suggest some new blood. I personally think Aviator would be good. She's level-headed, doesn't take sides, and is quite the intelligent person. I'd enjoy seeing her helping moderate and/or administrate the forum, depending on what she's comfortable with. As for AWOL, I really haven't met him, so I can't really comment. There are probably quite a few contributing members out there who deserve recognition, but in the crossfire I haven't gotten to know you all. Drop by on IRC, I'd love to get to know you.

There really isn't a great divide in the SS forums. There isn't a big Staff vs. Members thing going on. It's more of a Staff vs. Trolls, with the Members getting fucked over by the crossfire. SS is kinda like a building. Y'see, the foundations have always been stable, but it's kinda like having a rat infestation. It's really not that big a deal, but it really is annoying and brings down the value of the structure as a whole. The membership is providing a sturdy foundation and is overall a pretty good group. I'd say easily the match of what we had back a few years ago. However, the trolls are bringing down the forums by attracting attention to themselves. It's just what they do. If you ignore them, they go away.

Now, of course, the trolls won't quit trolling that easily, and they'll try all they can to get recognition. That's why you just have to keep ignoring them. Sometimes they'll attempt to derail one of your threads. Maintain your thread, PM a mod or admin, include a link to the troll post(s) and ask them to split it. They'd be happy to. Stay away from obvious troll threads created by known trolls, because nothing crushes a troll more than seeing that their work isn't even being rewarded by a few views. Just watch, ignore the trolls and they'll go away.

The staff can't fix this without harming the forums themselves in some way. And we don't care to create new rules for the forums. It's just stupid and leaves us with more work when we could be contributing. No, these forums have to be fixed from the inside out. No, you, the contributing members that make this place awesome, have to be the ones to do this. Fixing a forum from the top down has been tried time and time again. It has always failed. What you don't need is stricter rules or the admins guiding the forum. Just ask the staff of 4chan or any other number of communities what happened when they tried killing off a problem from the top. They got overwhelmed and the community died. This will not happen here. We must adopt a culture suited to getting rid of trolls. One that ignores them. One that doesn't get enraged over them. One that laughs at them.

Myself, I'll be doing my part to stop the trolls, and I hope you do the same. Help regain the sense of community that was lost because of these annoying 'tards.

I'm available to answer questions, though any troll posts will be split to the recycling bin, where you can't access them. So shoot me a question or comment here on the forums or in IRC. I know my plan isn't perfect, and I'd like to improve it.

K
S
02-01-2009 03:40 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar , SoulRiser
random_name Offline
Fanatic

the award for 'best post in thread' goes to...

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
02-01-2009 08:02 PM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

tl;dr

Ignoring trolls when they hijacked your thread is impossible(Chain 10 loli pictures).

And stop putting the responsibility on contributing members. Been waiting for months for the staff to do something and all they do is SPLITTING THA FORUMS!
02-02-2009 03:55 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

i think the forums are better now that they have been disabled.

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

02-02-2009 04:02 AM
KitsuneSefam Offline
Fanatic

random_name Wrote:i think the forums are better now that they have been disabled.

None

I'm just going to go post my anti-school conversations on another forum then.
02-02-2009 04:04 AM