RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
So...

Are you guys gonna quit with the drama soon?
01-29-2009 07:44 PM
Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: So...

I'm not sure if you're the real scooby snacks...but this is pretty fucking retarded. "Drama" doesn't end just because you said it should, it needs to be forced to end, by changing the system.
01-29-2009 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:I'm not sure if you're the real scooby snacks...but this is pretty fucking retarded. "Drama" doesn't end just because you said it should, it needs to be forced to end, by changing the system.

This.

Quit acting like your SOOOO much more mature and awesome.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-29-2009 09:48 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

i think it could cool down... sometimes.... possibly....

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
01-30-2009 02:27 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

It kind of already has, considering people aren't making stupid ass topics as much and barely anyone posts (well compared to Monday).
01-30-2009 07:03 AM
Unregistered

Why do people always start flamewars at the drop of a hat?

Drama = everyone bitching at one another.

Fix it. Compromise. Step into the other person's shoes. And this goes for BOTH sides of this massive flamewar.

Everybody has a reason for doing what they are doing. Figure it out. Then figure out a compromise that will benefit both sides. It is the ONLY way that any peace will ever come. I ain't asking everyone to join hands and sing together, I'm asking everyone to set their personal vendettas aside, their personal loyalties aside, and just talk it out. Because unless somebody steps up, then this is going to go on forever, and is going to poison the sense of community even more. Accept that mistakes were made, learn from those mistakes, take your fair share of the blame. Essentially, man the fuck up and try finding a compromise, even if you utterly hate the people you've labeled "elitists" or "peons". Because each side is a part of this forum's community now, and the only way to heal the rifts in the community, or even to bring a small peace to the forum is for the community, not any moderator or admin or even Soul, to come together and quit squabbling over petty differences. Forgive and forget, so we can move on and find a better way of doing things.

I am not your enemy. I don't give a damn for either side, because each side has its dicks and its redeeming members. I just want to hurry up and create a forum to be proud of again. I personally support making Aviator a moderator, and then an admin, should she prove capable. I also want Thunder and Strat to quit flaming each other and digging us deeper in this hole. Do it from PMs if you want. But for chrissake, can we please, as mature youth, move the fuck on?
01-30-2009 08:07 AM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Give us a good reason why we should.

Who am I? That is irrelevant.
What am I here for? That will become apparent.
You can call me Apathy!
01-30-2009 08:14 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Something_Spacey Wrote:Give us a good reason why we should.

Here's a reason Smile

We need to destroy the school system, not destroy our own damn forum!

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
01-30-2009 08:30 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I personally won't compromise with the fucking idiots who have proven themselves to be over the last few days.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
01-30-2009 08:39 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

If we do not compromise how do we pose a united front to war against the system? We need unity. It's our enemy that we want to be fighting itself.

//

01-30-2009 08:43 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Liquid Wrote:If we do not compromise how do we pose a united front to war against the system? We need unity. It's our enemy that we want to be fighting itself.

You can just blow up schools.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-30-2009 08:44 AM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Thunder. Look beyond yourself, OK?

Not everyone's an idiot because of how they feel about you and your Admin status. There are real idiots in this world, and usually, they are idiots because of something much bigger and more impacting than their dislike of one person. To call people idiots because they don't like something you did/do insults real live idiots all over the world. And you wouldn't want to make them angry. Laugh

Disregard this post if the people that you're calling idiots are actually not the ones opposing you.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
01-30-2009 08:50 AM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Err, and Strat... be careful with that post. Authorities might take it the wrong way. None

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
01-30-2009 08:50 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

I don't hate people just because they disagree with me. If you think that then I feel sorry for you.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
01-30-2009 08:56 AM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Well then perhaps I was wrong.

Who exactly are you calling idiots then?

01-30-2009 08:57 AM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

The way I see it. Al lot of us only come here because we can't bond with people in real life, How are we suppose to Unify the students to Glory and Freedom, here if this site attracts people who have chunks missing in their life and are emotionally unfit to fight against tyranny?

We need people to come here willing to fight fire with fire student vs system. Unifying the students one school one at a time. So we can divide and conquer connecting the Revolted schools into a district.

But it seem like, The only thing this place is good for is comforting people who are sad because they don't feel accepted within the smallest of social circles.

Is there really, no plan for revolution?

You can call me Apathy!
01-30-2009 08:58 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Something_Spacey Wrote:Is there really, no plan for revolution?

LOL!

With this community?! Not a fucking chance. I admire guys like psychopath, but this shit aint happening ever. This place is a joke.

01-30-2009 09:07 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Michio-kun Wrote:
Liquid Wrote:If we do not compromise how do we pose a united front to war against the system? We need unity. It's our enemy that we want to be fighting itself.

Aviator Wrote:Err, and Strat... be careful with that post. Authorities might take it the wrong way. None

DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS HAHAHAHA

01-30-2009 09:18 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Michio-kun Wrote:

Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that then.

//

01-30-2009 09:27 AM
Unregistered

Something_Spacey Wrote:The way I see it. Al lot of us only come here because we can't bond with people in real life, How are we suppose to Unify the students to Glory and Freedom, here if this site attracts people who have chunks missing in their life and are emotionally unfit to fight against tyranny?

We need people to come here willing to fight fire with fire student vs system. Unifying the students one school one at a time. So we can divide and conquer connecting the Revolted schools into a district.

But it seem like, The only thing this place is good for is comforting people who are sad because they don't feel accepted within the smallest of social circles.

Of course a lot of people come here hurting. Why else would they join an anti-school forum if school hadn't hurt them in some way? Now, this may seem like some of that "back in dem dere olden days" talk, but hear me out. Most people, upon coming to SS were not flat out fucking geniuses. They were much the same type of people we get today. They were angry, they were hurt, and oh dear sweet Komodo Jesus, they were angsty. But after a while, just through osmosis, they started developing a purpose for themselves and contributing to the community. Through constructive discussion, they became more intelligent and got to know everyone better. There was no huge divide in members. Sure, occasionally there was a spat between two people, but it quickly calmed down. The culture was much more accepting and much more relaxed.

However, for reasons that have already probably been covered in excruciating detail, it started going downhill when a divide formed between old and new members. Elitism? No. Just a bunch of people forming factions and getting pissed at one another and doing stupid things. Myself included. Most everyone has had a hand in the decline of the forums. But seriously, right now we need to reverse that trend. Everybody needs to take a step back, consider exactly what's going on when a problem or argument starts up, then act to diffuse it. Sure, we'll slip up sometimes, but let's at least TRY to prove ourselves to be intellectually and emotionally intelligent youth who can back up their cause.

And a word on revolutions. While everyone wants change now, a revolution never occurs spontaneously. It takes YEARS of preparation, spreading ideas, and helping others. And it always, always, ALWAYS, starts first in a small group of freethinking people who want to change the way things are. We are a large part of that small group. We must improve ourselves through education and assisting each other in any way we can. And like many revolutionaries before us, we have to establish a revolutionary culture based upon what we as a whole think the ideal person should be. And to start doing that, we have to start right here in this forum. We have to set all of our differences aside, though you can still argue with each other all you want via PM or something, and work together to create a community we are proud of. We should educate ourselves and help our new members better themselves as well. Because if we all keep fighting each other, absolutely nothing will get done. If we can attract members and help them grow as people, as well as teach them to think on their own. THAT is how the revolution is started. It always starts out slow as hell, but once it gets to a certain point, it'll take off. I believe the revolution in education is inevitable, but it's our choice as to how fast we get there. We can either destroy ourselves from the inside out and hope the next group to come along gets it right, or we can agree to disagree and just tolerate each other, no matter how much we dislike each other.

We can get things done. We can turn the most angsty person who joins into a thoughtful mature individual, and right now, we're not doing that. So let's start trying. We owe it to the people who seek refuge here to do just that. So throw away all of your grudges and group loyalties and come together for this one purpose. Let's throw off the shackles of our schoolings, let's act like responsible and mature human beings, like those enslaved to the thought processes of the system cannot, and let us fight for a REAL education. Let us first start with turning those in this forum to revolutionaries, as a truly educated human being inside a school surely is a revolutionary. Then, once we've fixed this bloody mess, we'll start spreading around the news. And once we have a damn good support base, we WILL reform the education system.
01-30-2009 12:31 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Scooby_Snacks Wrote:
Something_Spacey Wrote:The way I see it. Al lot of us only come here because we can't bond with people in real life, How are we suppose to Unify the students to Glory and Freedom, here if this site attracts people who have chunks missing in their life and are emotionally unfit to fight against tyranny?

Of course a lot of people come here hurting. Why else would they join an anti-school forum if school hadn't hurt them in some way? Now, this may seem like some of that "back in dem dere olden days" talk, but hear me out. Most people, upon coming to SS were not flat out fucking geniuses. They were much the same type of people we get today. They were angry, they were hurt, and oh dear sweet Komodo Jesus, they were angsty. But after a while, just through osmosis, they started developing a purpose for themselves and contributing to the community. Through constructive discussion, they became more intelligent and got to know everyone better. There was no huge divide in members. Sure, occasionally there was a spat between two people, but it quickly calmed down. The culture was much more accepting and much more relaxed.

However, for reasons that have already probably been covered in excruciating detail, it started going downhill when a divide formed between old and new members. Elitism? No. Just a bunch of people forming factions and getting pissed at one another and doing stupid things. Myself included. Most everyone has had a hand in the decline of the forums. But seriously, right now we need to reverse that trend. Everybody needs to take a step back, consider exactly what's going on when a problem or argument starts up, then act to diffuse it. Sure, we'll slip up sometimes, but let's at least TRY to prove ourselves to be intellectually and emotionally intelligent youth who can back up their cause.

And a word on revolutions. While everyone wants change now, a revolution never occurs spontaneously. It takes YEARS of preparation, spreading ideas, and helping others. And it always, always, ALWAYS, starts first in a small group of freethinking people who want to change the way things are. We are a large part of that small group. We must improve ourselves through education and assisting each other in any way we can. And like many revolutionaries before us, we have to establish a revolutionary culture based upon what we as a whole think the ideal person should be. And to start doing that, we have to start right here in this forum. We have to set all of our differences aside, though you can still argue with each other all you want via PM or something, and work together to create a community we are proud of. We should educate ourselves and help our new members better themselves as well. Because if we all keep fighting each other, absolutely nothing will get done. If we can attract members and help them grow as people, as well as teach them to think on their own. THAT is how the revolution is started. It always starts out slow as hell, but once it gets to a certain point, it'll take off. I believe the revolution in education is inevitable, but it's our choice as to how fast we get there. We can either destroy ourselves from the inside out and hope the next group to come along gets it right, or we can agree to disagree and just tolerate each other, no matter how much we dislike each other.

We can get things done. We can turn the most angsty person who joins into a thoughtful mature individual, and right now, we're not doing that. So let's start trying. We owe it to the people who seek refuge here to do just that. So throw away all of your grudges and group loyalties and come together for this one purpose. Let's throw off the shackles of our schoolings, let's act like responsible and mature human beings, like those enslaved to the thought processes of the system cannot, and let us fight for a REAL education. Let us first start with turning those in this forum to revolutionaries, as a truly educated human being inside a school surely is a revolutionary. Then, once we've fixed this bloody mess, we'll start spreading around the news. And once we have a damn good support base, we WILL reform the education system.

tl;dr

01-30-2009 12:34 PM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Thanks Q. That was a damn good post that was exactly what I was thinking/trying to explain to the guys in the other thread. It's about spreading seeds, supporting, and encouraging. And we can only do that through having a community who cares about one another, and stands by one another.

Err, did I just call you Q? Sorry. Old habit. Thanks, Soul. There, correct name. Smile

01-30-2009 12:43 PM
Unregistered

Haha, nope. Name's Scooby Snacks. I prefer Scooby or Eddy though. Razz

I'm a reformed troll who's benefited immensely from this site and want to give back.
01-30-2009 12:49 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Scooby_Snacks Wrote:Haha, nope. Name's Scooby Snacks. I prefer Scooby or Eddy though. Razz

I'm a reformed troll who's benefited immensely from this site and want to give back.

Actually I read the post. You have reformed a surprising amount. I am impressed.

01-30-2009 12:51 PM
The Apathy Offline
Pariah

Keep it up scoobs, your mom will be so very proud of you.

You can call me Apathy!
01-30-2009 12:53 PM
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Ah! My mistake, Eddy Snacks. Laugh

JK, okey doke Scooby. Biggrin

01-30-2009 12:55 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Something_Spacey Wrote:Keep it up scoobs, your mom will be so very proud of you.
lol

01-30-2009 01:18 PM