RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I've learned from movies
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Things I've learned from movies

I'm bored out of my skull so I thought I'd do this. Anybody can add to it if they want. If not, this thread is fucking fail.

1. If there's a food fight in the movie, a teacher/principal MUST get hit in the face. And it's usually spaghetti or something with sauce.

2. When someone is on the run (usually a female), they move to a different city, rent a shitty apartment, and a scene is shown with them in front of a mirror holding scissors, switching between shots of the bathroom floor with their hair on it. The next scene is them walking down a busy sidewalk with cut, dyed hair and sunglasses.

3. In older scary movies there's always that sudden "BOO!" scene where the bad guy/monster/whatever comes out of nowhere and attacks/scares the good guy. In newer movies, the scary background music starts playing and grows louder and scarier as the good guy is carefully and quietly walking through the rooms of a dark house...only to find out it was a cat or something. The good guy then sighs in relief, the music fading away....then BAM, the bad guy comes out of nowhere.

4. Car scenes: person gets in car and puts their belongings in passenger seat. Takes key, and right as they're about to put it in the ignition they sorta look in the rear view mirror, only to find out there's another pair of eyes looking back at them other than their own. You know where it goes from there.

5. In superhero movies, there's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a night scene where the hero is jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper with busy streets down below.
01-31-2009 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MM Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
Re: Things I've learned from movies

In scary movies, when someone is trying to get away in a car, the car rarely starts, or starts just in the nick of time.
01-31-2009 11:13 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, their hands especially start to shake as they're holding the keys and that just messes everything up.
01-31-2009 11:15 AM
youvebeenthunderstruck Offline
Fanatic

Given 21 thank(s) in 19 post(s)

It's OK to pick up the phone and not say hello, everybody instantly knows who it is.

<lordpie> Life sucks so much right now. It seems I'm spending all of it doing math.
<Rosti_LFC> You are "Math Boy"
<Rosti_LFC> Doer of math
<Rosti_LFC> Unable to integrate with society. Only with functions of x
01-31-2009 11:17 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

The black guy, is the bad guy.

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. - Chuang-tzu
The quieter you become, the more you can hear. - Baba Ram Dass
The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-31-2009 11:24 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Or the black guy, always dies.
01-31-2009 11:25 AM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Or it's the rich, white, old guy, with tons of money.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. - Dogen
Great Faith. Great Doubt. Great Effort. - The three qualities necessary for training. - Zen saying
Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook. - Zen saying
01-31-2009 11:26 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Yup, and he's usually the main guy, the hardest to kill but usually dies in the end.

Also, when a noise is heard, they always check and it's always a bad decision.
01-31-2009 11:35 AM
Milk2Go Offline
Fanatic

Given 41 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

1. If being chased through town, you can usually take cover in a passing St Patrick’s Day parade - at any time of the year.

2. All beds have special L-shaped top sheets that reach up to armpit level on a woman but only waist level on the man lying beside her.

3. All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French bread.

4. Once applied, lipstick will never rub off - even while scuba diving.

5. The ventilation system of any building is a perfect hiding place. No one will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to any other part of the building without difficulty.

6. Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not be necessary to speak the language. A German accent will do.

7. The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window of any building in Paris.

8. A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.

9. When paying for a taxi, never look at your wallet as you take out a note - just grab one at random and hand it over. It will always be the exact fare.

10. If you lose a hand, it will cause the stump of your arm to grow by 15cm.

11. Mothers routinely cook eggs, bacon and waffles for their family every morning, even though the husband and children never have time to eat them.

12. Cars and trucks that crash will almost always burst into flames.

13. A single match will be sufficient to light up a room the size of a football stadium.

14. Medieval peasants had perfect teeth.

15. All single women have a cat.

16. Any person waking from a nightmare will sit bolt upright and pant.

17. One man shooting at 20 men has a better chance of killing them all than 20 men firing at one.

18. Creepy music coming from a graveyard should always be closely investigated.

19. Most people keep a scrapbook of newspaper cuttings - especially if any of their family or friends has died in a strange boating accident.
01-31-2009 11:59 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

-The more armor an enemy wears, the more incompetant at fighting he will be. Someone in full SWAT gear with high-tech weapons probably can't hit a 747 with a shotgun...from inside the plane. But someone with two shiny pistols and a skintight leather bikini means run for your life.

-Swords beat guns under any circumstances, except in Indiana Jones.

-Heroes can only die between 5:00 and 6:00 pm, because otherwise there would not be a beautiful sunset in the background.

-Swordfights must always take place on a precarious cliff or bridge.

-Death is a temporary inconveniance.

-All bombs are timed to go off just as you are running down a tunnel, so that you may outrun the fireball just in time.

-Supervillians are known to kidnap special ed students and raised them to be security guards.

-People of German descent cannot fire a weapon accurately.

-When preparing to travel to China, Japan, Vietnam, or Hong Kong, a burst of generic, traditional-sounding Asian music must sound in the background, complete with gong. And the first thing you will see when getting off the plane is the Great Wall, even if you have landed in Tokyo.

-Arabs and Mexicans are interchangeable.

-Every secretive government agency has at least ten moles per department.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-31-2009 12:12 PM
Michio-kun Offline
Fanatic

Quote:-The more armor an enemy wears, the more incompetant at fighting he will be. Someone in full SWAT gear with high-tech weapons probably can't hit a 747 with a shotgun...from inside the plane. But someone with two shiny pistols and a skintight leather bikini means run for your life.

Anyone here seen the anime Black Lagoon?

Oh so relevant picture:

[Image: 53.jpg]

This bitch can outgun an entire fucking military base.

01-31-2009 12:20 PM
MM Offline
Fanatic

BobManPerson Wrote:2. All beds have special L-shaped top sheets that reach up to armpit level on a woman but only waist level on the man lying beside her.

Lol I was about to post one similar to this.
01-31-2009 12:38 PM
Double Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

- Every single natural disaster always begins somewhere in the U.S.
01-31-2009 09:15 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

-when watching a film about normal people in a school, everyone is a trained dancer

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
02-01-2009 02:28 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

-in movies with sports, there's always a scene that features some kind of work-out song in the background while the players are shown practicing and getting better. Then at the end of the scene, it shows them walking in a line in slow motion on a field.
02-01-2009 02:47 AM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

-in most films, when something goes right something else always goes wrong.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
02-01-2009 02:48 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

the good guy usally wins even if it didnt happen in the book

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
02-01-2009 03:28 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

chemistry hater Wrote:-in movies with sports, there's always a scene that features some kind of work-out song in the background while the players are shown practicing and getting better. Then at the end of the scene, it shows them walking in a line in slow motion on a field.
MONTAGE!!!!!!

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
02-01-2009 03:56 AM
mudkip liek Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:
chemistry hater Wrote:-in movies with sports, there's always a scene that features some kind of work-out song in the background while the players are shown practicing and getting better. Then at the end of the scene, it shows them walking in a line in slow motion on a field.
A MONTAGE SEQUENCE!!!!!!

Fix'd.
02-01-2009 05:48 AM
whole.cult Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

When there's a sex scene, they always start at the feet or something. Maybe show the table shaking as people have intercourse underneath it. idk

"Life is just one damned thing after another." -- Elbert Hubbard
02-07-2009 10:43 AM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

-Any small fire within a structure or building will ignite into a series of fiery explosions in at least 15 seconds.

-If a hero's female side-kick handles a rocket launcher they will always fire it backwards first, then forwards and will be able to hit there target.

-If a hero has a female side-kick there will always be a sex scene ALWAYS.

-obtaining loaded shotguns and mp-5's is extremely easy.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
02-07-2009 04:55 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

- The main characters can travel distances that normally take days in mere hours.

- If the main character attempts to find out answers to a mysterious plot around him than he will automatically be framed for murder or some other horrible crime and must dodge the police who for some reason put more effort into finding just him than other people who broke his same crime.

- If the main character gets a power or unique ability than eventually the villians and other allies gain the exact same ability but the main characters will always be stronger.

- The strongest and most deadliest assassins in the world are beautiful or very young women.

-If the main character has a dead in life and no meaning what so ever in it he will meet a girl who gives it meaning. If she dies than he will die by suicide or by a factor he cannot see coming which is usually after promising to leave on and remember her.

-The bad guy usually has been wronged and is trying to make the world a better place while the heros want it to stay the same.

- Terrorists and rebels are so easy to bump into that they basically live next door and outside while posing as bums.

- If the main character starts laughing uncontrollably after the whole scenario and when he's alone than you can concur that he had a hand in whats happened the whole movie and that he's the true mastermind.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
02-07-2009 06:26 PM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

If it has to do with a kidnapping. the hero will ALWAYS be a faux-badass mo-fo who loves to torture people to get answers.

woah dude
dude woah
02-08-2009 12:29 AM
whole.cult Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

People always know what to say when they call people. They don't stutter or sit in silence during a call. If they've said what they need to, then they just hang up.

"Life is just one damned thing after another." -- Elbert Hubbard
02-08-2009 04:41 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

The villans ALWAYS put timers on their doomsday devices long enough for the heros to deactivate them.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
02-08-2009 05:19 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

If you have sex when there is a killer on the loose, you and your partner will die during or shortly after intercourse.

If you think you've killed the killer, you haven't.(even if he's blown to peices)

A cop can only solve a case after he/she has been suspended from duty.

If you want to win something bad enough, no matter how much the odds are against you, you are garenteed to win.

Police officers are always partners with people are the exact opposite of them.

If you hear a noise, and think it was just the cat, you will soon die.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
02-08-2009 12:31 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

if you shoot with your eyes closed, you will always hit the target

prostitutes always fall in love with the people paying for them

Hidden stuff:

-Ben Franklin

02-09-2009 05:10 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

christillusion Wrote:If you hear a noise, and think it was just the cat, you will soon die.
What if you think it's the dog?

02-09-2009 08:43 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Rebelnerd Wrote:
christillusion Wrote:If you hear a noise, and think it was just the cat, you will soon die.
What if you think it's the dog?

The dog will mutate into a horrible monster and kill you so you will soon die.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
02-09-2009 11:50 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Or the crossbow-wielding hordes of the Humungous's gas-pirate army will shoot your dog in the head.

02-10-2009 06:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Today, I learned that my girlfreind is an ex /b/tard Jesusaurisrex 5 1,451 04-23-2010 11:25 AM
Last Post: CrayolaColours