RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Constructive criticism vs verbal abuse
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

If you disagree with something someone did or said, try to tell them in a constructive way.

Example:
1) You're a moron
2) I disagree because ....

1) is verbal abuse, 2) is using constructive criticism, as long as you explain your reasoning behind what you're saying. If you don't explain your reasons then it isn't really all that constructive, but even if you just say "that was stupid" instead of "you are stupid", at least it's still an improvement and isn't insulting the person's character.

If you're really raging and angry about what the person just said, don't reply just yet. Get up, go outside, jump around, get a punching bag, do some pushups, whatever. But calm down before you reply.

This isn't undermining free speech in any way. You can still express your opinion, you just have to try to do it in a way that doesn't insult anyone.

Even if you really totally honestly believe the person is completely stupid, be specific and tell them what they're doing wrong instead of writing them off as a total moron. If you've told them what they've done wrong loads of times before and they keep on refusing to listen, that's no excuse to give up and start calling them an idiot. Rather just don't say anything. Let them be an idiot. Ignore them.

None of this applies in the Frag Arena though, you can diss people all you want in there.. But keep that stuff out of other forums.

For more info on emotional abuse and all manner of related things, check out EQI.org

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-11-2011 04:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Trar , James Comey
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
Re: Constructive criticism vs verbal abuse

YOU'RE A MORON

[Image: glorious666.png]
09-15-2011 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Noo

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
09-15-2011 08:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

FAKE AND GAY

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
09-15-2011 08:56 AM
 Thanks given by: plearmagalfax
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

I personally think most of the "verbal abuse" that went on did have enough explanation although it was a bit too harsh IMO, and it looks like you've "matured Soul, I was just kidding

Damn that was hard on an iPod I couldve written an essay

09-15-2011 09:05 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

So I take it everybody hasn't learned to start being less of a bunch of assholes(I'm trying thanks to not having SS for over a month).

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
09-15-2011 10:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I have confidence that we will all get better at it, even if it takes some time. Biggrin

I will admit I did actually lol at your "YOU'RE A MORON" post though.

Hidden stuff:
09-15-2011 10:21 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

FTR one of the posts I made ('cause let's face it - we all know why this GA was made) was constructive criticism and you sent it to Frag anyway. So fuck it. As long as the Frag Arena exists, and certain users on this site are seen as immune criticism, I'm going to say what I damn well please.
09-15-2011 12:35 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I've actually been planning on writing this since long before that, but that just reminded me to get around to doing it.

Which post are you referring to?

You can say what you damn well please, but keep the non-constructive stuff in the Frag Arena to save me the trouble of moving it. Biggrin

Hidden stuff:
09-15-2011 01:19 PM
Endeavourer Offline
Renegade

RE: Constructive criticism vs verbal abuse

(09-15-2011 10:21 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I have confidence that we will all get better at it, even if it takes some time. Biggrin

l have 0 confidence that you will all get better at it. When l see how long some members have been in this forum, and then see how they post, l'm surprised you're not shameful. Your members love insulting each other and your goal of being taken seriously in school reforming is laughable. l highly doubt you will achieve anything, but l will stay for the lols. Popcorn
05-13-2012 07:29 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Soul has already had her yearly site visit.
05-13-2012 07:32 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

fuck you eat an antpile

No, this is Patrick.
05-13-2012 07:37 AM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

(05-13-2012 07:29 AM)Endeavourer Wrote:  
(09-15-2011 10:21 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I have confidence that we will all get better at it, even if it takes some time. Biggrin

l have 0 confidence that you will all get better at it. When l see how long some members have been in this forum, and then see how they post, l'm surprised you're not shameful. Your members love insulting each other and your goal of being taken seriously in school reforming is laughable. l highly doubt you will achieve anything, but l will stay for the lols. Popcorn

This forum has never been about school reform. School-Survival.net is not the place for it. The site is called School-Survival, not School-Reform. There is no forum even on this site that is for that purpose.
05-13-2012 07:44 AM
Mælstrom Offline
GIVE ME LEEBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

What Fish said. This is more of a forum for people to let off steam in regards to the experiences they've had in school. If you're looking for a movement that has a small but possible chance of changing educational paradigms around the world, than check out the Educational Freedom project than Absentinsomniac and a few other members have been working on.

If you're reading this, I killed myself.
05-13-2012 08:53 AM
Endeavourer Offline
Renegade

(05-13-2012 08:53 AM)Maelstrom Wrote:  What Fish said. This is more of a forum for people to let off steam in regards to the experiences they've had in school. If you're looking for a movement that has a small but possible chance of changing educational paradigms around the world, than check out the Educational Freedom project than Absentinsomniac and a few other members have been working on.
Have you read the site's MISSION STATEMENT yet? Because even if you did, you don't seem to understand what is on it.
05-13-2012 09:17 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Your members love insulting each other
Most of them are just joking. Only a few are serious. I don't care at all about the joking, but the serious stuff is supposed to be kept in the Frag Arena.

Quote:and your goal of being taken seriously in school reforming is laughable.
We never had a goal like that.

Hidden stuff:
05-13-2012 09:58 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Also, I just edited the mission statement. EFO spawned from discussions on here, so it's not entirely inaccurate, but still, that sort of thing is now happening on their site.

Hidden stuff:
05-13-2012 10:01 AM
Endeavourer Offline
Renegade

(05-13-2012 10:01 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Also, I just edited the mission statement. EFO spawned from discussions on here, so it's not entirely inaccurate, but still, that sort of thing is now happening on their site.
So basically now your mission statement is to just conform to authority and not fight it because that's obviously going to help people feel better. Maybe a little better, like the smallest amount. But if that's simply your goal, that's like my mom who sent me to a psychologist because l hated school and all the psychologist said was "deal with it, everyone has to go through it".

Your mission statement is so stupid now, you might as well be blatant and tell the truth and say, "The purpose of the site is to convince you that school is great even when we know it isn't. Simply because being politically correct is more important than morals."

Also, take out the part that says "The secondary purpose of the forums is to plan and do things to improve the school systems, and/or educate people about alternatives.". That is pure bullshit if what you said at the first part is true.

you don't plan to achieve anything on the site, just plan to tell people bullshit stories about how it "gets better". l swear, you're a really good scam artist. Good job making a ton of money pretending to achieve something when you're achieving NOTHING at all.
05-13-2012 10:20 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

This nigger has to be like 13.
05-13-2012 10:40 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

(05-13-2012 10:20 AM)Endeavourer Wrote:  
(05-13-2012 10:01 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Also, I just edited the mission statement. EFO spawned from discussions on here, so it's not entirely inaccurate, but still, that sort of thing is now happening on their site.
So basically now your mission statement is to just conform to authority and not fight it because that's obviously going to help people feel better. Maybe a little better, like the smallest amount. But if that's simply your goal, that's like my mom who sent me to a psychologist because l hated school and all the psychologist said was "deal with it, everyone has to go through it".

Your mission statement is so stupid now, you might as well be blatant and tell the truth and say, "The purpose of the site is to convince you that school is great even when we know it isn't. Simply because being politically correct is more important than morals."

Also, take out the part that says "The secondary purpose of the forums is to plan and do things to improve the school systems, and/or educate people about alternatives.". That is pure bullshit if what you said at the first part is true.

you don't plan to achieve anything on the site, just plan to tell people bullshit stories about how it "gets better". l swear, you're a really good scam artist. Good job making a ton of money pretending to achieve something when you're achieving NOTHING at all.

Faggot
05-13-2012 03:28 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

(05-13-2012 10:20 AM)Endeavourer Wrote:  

too long, didn't read

05-13-2012 04:50 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Please tell me all about the forum you've been at for 3 days.
05-13-2012 06:12 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Dude... go get a punching bag, hit it for a while, go for a run outside, and then come back before posting. You have a lot of rage you should get out of your system.

Hidden stuff:
05-14-2012 03:18 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I've noticed a big surge in Soulriser pushing goals etc.. since this fag has shown up.
Does SS bother you sometimes Soul?
05-14-2012 03:45 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Only some people on the forums... sometimes. Razz

Hidden stuff:
05-14-2012 03:55 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

This is an important topic... and this thread is currently in SoulRiser's signature.

However, reading through the replies here is incredibly disappointing.

I see the need for such a more substantive discussion on this topic... including these ideas that verbally abusing people is what "free speech" is all about.

One resource to consider here is the book Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High. In reality, it's quite a challenge to get anyone to read even some of a non-fiction book about how to have conversations, metacognition, and how people interpret each other and frame situations. Spawning a discussion of these topics is even harder.

But, this can be one step to transforming both "verbal abuse" (a.k.a. "lashing out" or "violence") and the avoidance of conversation into productive, meaningful discussions that might actually play a substantive role in people's lives.

(Unlike much of our experience of school, and unlike endless streams of negativity and despair that have filled many pages of the half a million posts on these forums over the past decade.)

I've seen so many signs of life over the past year, that I think this thread is worth bumping and building upon. One of the things some of us have discussed is writing a history of SS. What will the next chapters be in that history? What words will be written and spoken... what scenes will play out, and what stories will be told?

Time will tell... but maybe part of it can be an improvement upon the darkness that the above exchanges imply to people who come across this site, perhaps looking to make sense of a confusing world. Will they find beacons of light, or a pit of despair?

(And, is life nothing but a pit of despair... or might those beacons of light actually lead somewhere?)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
03-06-2014 06:31 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , James Comey , Trar
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Your last line rhymes Smile

Well, most of the people replying on this thread are not here anymore. So maybe we can get a fresh discussion going with the (far nicer) people who are currently here? Smile

Hidden stuff:
03-06-2014 08:19 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , James Comey
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(09-15-2011 08:55 AM)Lunatic Wrote:  YOU'RE A MORON
(Just kidding.)

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 07:20 AM by Ky.)
03-07-2014 07:20 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

This is an example of a pre-brainiac era. Enjoy the clay tablets and donkey-powered mills.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-07-2014 07:46 AM
 Thanks given by: James Comey , Trar
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)

Indeed. The dark days....

RIP GWEDIN