RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DISILLUSIONED!
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
DISILLUSIONED!

When I think about it, I've been anti-school since first grade. To think that I've been supressing it all of these years to please my parents and the establishment...
Kids Next Door was my favorite show. I watched it all the time, and thought that, hey, wait a minute...they're right!!!
Lol, it's a dumb example, but that was how I found a bit of support for the anti-school things I was feeling.
Then, I looked at the show a few years later and thought “You know, I was kind of dumb. School’s not that bad. I get the show though. It was showing how kids who don’t know better feel about school.”
Man, I WAS dumb, not when I felt anti-school, but when I said things like that.

EVERYTHING WE FREAKIN DO IN THIS WORLD IS DONE TO PLEASE OTHERS.
Plan of a 'normal' life:
Go to school
Do homework(please teachers)
do classwork(please teachers)
Get good grades (to please teachers, parents)
12 #@$%ING YEARS LATER
Go to good college(to please parents)
get good grades(to impress future bosses and job interviewers)
get a good job, do it well(to please your boss)
Get married (to fit in with the 'normal' life)
Have kids(so you will have something to do with your money, since all of your fun ideas for life ended with high school)
make money(so you can retire at 65 and impress your friends)
die.

What the @#$% is up with that?
I mean, I finally realized after coming to this site why I felt so disillusioned with life! the only reasons I go to school is so my life doesn't get screwed up, not that the teachers care, and not that any of what I learn or don't learn in school is going to help me!
If I wasn't a straight A student, they'd just throw me into a lower level class, and TEACH ME THINGS I'VE KNOWN SINCE KINDERGARDEN!
EVEN IF THEY DON’T GET RID OF SCHOOL LIKE THEY SHOULD, why drag it out so long? If I could, I would go to school for three hours a day, work my ass off, then come home and have the rest of the day to myself. I don't see why SEVEN HOURS is necessary.

Do they think that the only thing teenagers do in their free unsupervised time is do drugs, have sex, and drink?
If that's true, which it's NOT, it's the adults’ fault anyway!
If we were taught that drinking without getting drunk was possible, then we wouldn't think that we HAVE TO GET DRUNK EVERY TIME WE DRINK!!!
But no, they teach us that:
"Well, you're teenagers. Don't be rash or do anything WE wouldn't want you to do, or you'll get into drugs, drinking and violence, and end up killing yourself."

They never think we have a right to be angry. They never remember what it was like to feel this way.
They could understand if they tried, but they've been taught the same bullshit we have.
I feel sorry, not just for the students, but for the teachers!
They hate it as much as we do!
I don't have anything, personally, against most of the administration at my school! It’s just that don't know or care about alternatives; school is a business, and if you're selling something, you don't start by praising your competitors!

Not that I'm going to try to save them. I'm sick of thinking in terms of, what can I do to help so and so…
I need to help ME for once!

TEACHERS need to come to this site.

PEOPLE need to be shocked out of apathy and indifference towards the PRISON-LIKE INSTITUTION of SCHOOL.

I've said it to my friends many times.
"Holy SHIT this place feels like a mental house! It's like an INSTITUTION!"

I've said it to my MOM, and she seemed to agree (or just think I was going through PMS)
"For something that's supposed to help you learn, school is pretty mind numbing."

I'm a rebellious teenager underneath, but since I can't rebel against what I want to (school) without people thinking I'm just lazy and don't want to work, I rebel against my other students!

The jerks at school who cuss all of the time and make the teachers pissed off are just as angry at what's been done to them as I am!
And I'm a bitch to them, because the ADULTS have taught me that the other kids, the ones who don't listen, the ones who don't work diligently and quietly, the ones who don't scoff when people say, 'Yeah, Mrs. so and so's a BITCH' are the ones at fault!
I'm sick of it.
I'm not buying it any more.
I don't have to.

Man I feel better after ranting. Laugh

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
02-21-2009 09:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
Re: DISILLUSIONED!

1. Welcome! Straight jacket size? Random_name will come over to supply you.
2. Nice rant. Thumbsup

woah dude
dude woah
02-21-2009 09:25 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Hi there Smile
Welcome to SS, land of pirates and crazy people. Pirate

As for other sites you may find interesting, try:
www.whywork.org
www.anxietyculture.com
www.unconventionalideas.com

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-21-2009 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Welcome young padawan Shooting Wink

Im new too but i might as well send my greetings Giggle

Anywho, sweet rant that suits my life just about right, i make straight A's (although i go to a private school unlike most people here Smile )

I was going to show my teachers to this site, i think they might take it as a joke, but ive been trying to explain to everyone why school sucks

But they havea lready been fully controlled by the system

Fucking Nazis who control the school board Fu

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
02-21-2009 10:57 AM
classclown Offline
Fanatic

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

yup the world doesnt want you to be happy cause thats some how asking to much.

life is just blah blah blah. we hope for blah, and sometimes we find it. but mostly its blah. and waiting for blah. and hoping you were right about the blahs you made. and when you think you just got the whole blah damn thing figured out, and your surrounded by the ones you blah. death shows up and blah blah blah.
-weeds-

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -socrates-

Schooling us to prepare us for the career in need
Not caring about our interests and dreams to heed
02-21-2009 11:40 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Newtown Wrote:1. Welcome! Straight jacket size? Random_name will come over to supply you.
2. Nice rant. Thumbsup

I wear my straightjackets medium. Smile
Thank God (or whatever's up there) for this site...I was starting to think I really was insane.
I knew I hated school, I knew I had all of these ideas and feelings, I just didn't know that it was okay, and that I could do something about the things I thought were wrong.
Smile Thanks all of ya!

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
02-21-2009 12:39 PM
Swift Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

hi i'm a nad.

Welcome to SS. You'll probably get insulted here. Enjoy your time here, and the insanity this place contains.

"I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor says "I'm terribly depressed". Doctor says "I know just what you should do. Poliacci the clown is in town, go see him, you'll be cheered right up." The man bursts into tears. "But Doctor, I am Poliacci." Funny joke. Roll on snare drum. Everyone laugh."

-Rorschach

[Image: BANANAMAN.gif]
02-21-2009 01:19 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

mangareadr Wrote:Kids Next Door was my favorite show. I watched it all the time, and thought that, hey, wait a minute...they're right!!!

Hahaha , I used to watch the same thing but I never realised it was anti-school , back then I was the quite "get on with your work" kid. I was far too brainwashed.

Now I'm free , Cutting free from the brainwashing is like breaking out of a 100 year old frozen ice cube.

Welcome to SS by the way (: Welcome Hug

You'll like it here...

Also visit the : "School & Youth Rights Discussion" Part of this forum and take a little look at FER (Free Education Revolution) and feel free to join, we are looking for more members to spread the word.

If you have a Website or Blog and want to get the word out :

You can join FER right now, there are no official leaders or any centralised organisation. However, we'd like to know that you're participating, so please leave a comment here.

1. Find out what FER is all about

2. Either tell others about the FER blog or FER, or download an anti-school flyer from here and distribute it:
http://i41.tinypic.com/9svz95.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1949/picture3by9.png
More flyers will be added.

3. Tell people about FER, educate them about school's flaws, tell people about this blog, this post, do anything you can to free the minds of those that have been brainwashed.

4. You can also join the growing anti-school community, which consists of like-minded individuals who believe in freedom, here http://www.school-survival.net/intro.php

http://fer-revolution.blogspot.com/
http://fer-stuff.blogspot.com/

Matty

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
02-22-2009 01:16 AM
BIOSHOCK Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

mangareadr you just made the world a better place get on you!

The Revolution evaporates, & leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy. The chains of tormented mankind are made out of red tape
[Image: antifa2.jpg]
03-03-2009 06:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

mangareadr Wrote:
Newtown Wrote:1. Welcome! Straight jacket size? Random_name will come over to supply you.
2. Nice rant. Thumbsup

I wear my straightjackets medium. Smile
Thank God (or whatever's up there) for this site...I was starting to think I really was insane.
I knew I hated school, I knew I had all of these ideas and feelings, I just didn't know that it was okay, and that I could do something about the things I thought were wrong.
Smile Thanks all of ya!

Ok, i shall be right along with said straight jacket =]

Of course its ok - it's your own opinion! Dont be afraid to express it.

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
03-03-2009 06:16 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Hello thar Hug

Very nice post, that's more or less how every one of us feels, or has felt at a point.

Anyway, not all teachers should be seen as authoritarian bastards, some of them act like shit because that's what is imposed on them (others simply do it because they're power-hungry low-self-esteemed persons), just as it is imposed upon us to do what we're told and never complain. They need to get rid of school, at least in its present state, as much as we do. Teachers should be bright, creative, motivated and inspiring individuals, not authority figures.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
03-03-2009 11:03 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Yeah. I have no problem with (some of) my teachers as people.
I have this one teacher who seems to be having trouble deciding whether she wants to be our friend or teacher. It is still irritating(sp?) when she goes from letting us do whatever to yelling, but she might just be going through her own minirevolution.
We're all fighting different battles....

And that really shows how fucked up the system is.
When even the adults we're supposed to look up to are being played.
I want to know how far back it goes, and if there's really someone to blame, or if the only problem is that people are so ignorant and apathetic about the issues.

Live for Learning.

03-07-2009 06:33 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:I want to know how far back it goes, and if there's really someone to blame, or if the only problem is that people are so ignorant and apathetic about the issues.
Bit of both, I think. You might find this interesting: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-07-2009 08:55 PM